01. They Escaped The Weight Of Darkness
02. Into The Painted Grey
03. The Watcher's Monolith
04. Black Lake Niðstång
05. Ghosts Of The Midwinter Fires
06. To Drown
07. Nihil Totem [tour edition vinyl bonus]
08. The Weight Of Darkness [tour edition vinyl bonus]

Like remembering a dream, the opening minutes of this album serenade us with a haunting cello solo. The sound of a nearby forest stream provides a backdrop for this melody; it's a familiar yet distant setting. Have I been here before? Just as the dream becomes clearer and you reach that part of your memory that hides it, the crushing guitars break open the door and all hope is lost.

Agalloch once again accosts us with their inescapable heavy atmosphere. You will be brought to this place and made to listen, to feel. Musically, we're treated to a barrage of blast beats and intense cymbal work layered with dark melody and John Haughm's vocal attack (often almost black metal style vocals with excellent diction: nearly every lyric is understandable). If you expected a crushing, moody, intense, epic journey, then you guessed right. Sometimes the speed pushes and pulls us along this rough, forested path, other times we're staggering slowly through acoustic instrumentation and whispered vocals. Cold guitars lend their icy melody throughout.

Since the beginning, Agalloch has created a sound that is uniquely their own. Though they straddle many genres (bits of folk, black, doom, gothic, ambient) they are none of these and all of these. Fans from across the spectrum find a favourite ingredient in Agalloch and are uncontrollably drawn to the rest. Marrow of the Spirit seems to draw bits more from black and doom metal at times than some of their previous albums, but fans of their folk and ambient side will not be disappointed, there's plenty for everyone. And it's all in the atmosphere: despite the speedy drum work, you can soak up this album in front of a fire on a rainy night, if you so desire, or let the crushing intensity in with a more physical gesture, headbanging options included. There is no wrong way to let this music overtake you.

The album closes with "To Drown," a slower tempo track that seems to lead us on an endless death march. Relentless rhythm and those freezing cold guitars lead this mesmerizing 10-minute instrumental closer. In the last minute, the assault ends and it seems we've been led to the ocean. It is here that we are gently laid to rest, only to crave the journey once more.

Written on 08.12.2010 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 95   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 817 users
08.12.2010 - 19:54
spirit_inblack
harshhead
It just came in the mail minitutes ago, but from what I heard, I'm about to be blown away. Will get back to post my thoughts after a few listens.
08.12.2010 - 20:00
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by spirit_inblack on 08.12.2010 at 19:54

It just came in the mail minitutes ago, but from what I heard, I'm about to be blown away. Will get back to post my thoughts after a few listens.

its all downhill from painted gray...fer me anyway
08.12.2010 - 20:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 08.12.2010 at 20:00

Written by spirit_inblack on 08.12.2010 at 19:54

its all downhill from painted gray...fer me anyway

I'm not really one to comment as I only heard it the once and have never been a big fan (and most people seem to think this is a great album) but it was the same for me. The last few tracks didn't seem to go anywhere. But as I say I've never been that invested in their sound.
08.12.2010 - 20:06
Rating: 9
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
An amazing review, for an amazing album , i felt the music through ur words,
AGALLOCH,, never disappoint
08.12.2010 - 21:07
Elio
Red Nightmare
Album of the year

Into the Painted Grey may be the best track yeah, but The Watcher's Monolith and Black Fucking Lake Nidstang leave me speechless too.

On the level of the other albums.

Believe the hype.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
08.12.2010 - 21:11
Rating: 8
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Yeah, Into the Painted Grey is EPIC, but I may have to choose To Drown as my favourite track. That second half "march" section is so completely mesmerizing to me. Hard to choose a favourite though!! It's just one continuous stream of crushing brilliance.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.12.2010 - 21:27
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
What a great review! I guess this was the ultimate impetus for me to finally listen to this album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.12.2010 - 23:46
Yojimbo
I'll have to check this out.
09.12.2010 - 00:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
A huge disappointment this. After Against The Grain already being a step down from The Mantle this is an even bigger step down.

DON'T believe the hype.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2010 - 00:24
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Good review!
I'm still not really into them (yet) but I guss I'll check it out!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
09.12.2010 - 01:40
Rating: 7
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I'm on my second spin now and so far "Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires", "To Drown" and especially "Black Lake Nidstång" have impressed me the most. The whole thing still needs some time to sink in though. Unlike with their previous two albums I haven't had my mind blown from the very first note.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
09.12.2010 - 01:52
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Really not as bad as people say. Not as good as people say, either. It's still a fantastic record and honestly, it will crack my top 20 this year.
All I need is Akphaezya. I have a feeling that will be #1.
09.12.2010 - 03:11
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.12.2010 at 00:17

A huge disappointment this. After Against The Grain already being a step down from The Mantle this is an even bigger step down.

DON'T believe the hype.

Agreed. IMO the first track was long as shit and sets the tone for disappointment. That said the bar was set high, possibly even unreachable. A good album all in all, but its no Mantle thats for sure.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
09.12.2010 - 03:18
bluemobiusx
Account deleted

DON'T believe the hype.

What hype? If other people like it let them like it. Don't tell people not to like something because you don't. Be an individual and let others be individual.
09.12.2010 - 03:32
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Guest on 09.12.2010 at 03:18

DON'T believe the hype.

What hype? If other people like it let them like it. Don't tell people not to like something because you don't. Be an individual and let others be individual.

You're joking, right???

I think the "hype" that Marcel refers to is the fact that this was probably the album that was looked forward to most this year, and Agalloch-ites around the globe are proclaiming it as another flawless masterpiece. It's even been referred to as the best metal album of the past decade or so in some publication I had read. That's the hype.

You're right though, and after a listen I personally liked it, although it didn't have that same appeal the last albums have. Now I can actually hear where the doom is in their music.
09.12.2010 - 04:25
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Disappointment of the year, as far as I'm concerned.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
09.12.2010 - 05:37
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Thryce on 09.12.2010 at 04:25

You'll get over it.
09.12.2010 - 07:03
Kevorkian
Nice review, great album.
09.12.2010 - 10:08
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I was about to review this album. I listened to it 15 times (I always count, and my absolute minimum for reviewing is 10 times). I sat in front of my keyboard and then I felt I wasn't ready. I spent several days listening to the album 10 more times. I wrote the damn review and didn't submit it. I may, but in a few months, when I'm sure about what I wrote.

Why so much commotion? Because this album disappointed me like no other album for the last few years. Because I still can't believe that one of my favourite bands could release such a barren, lifeless album, full of ideas that go nowhere and don't mean much.

If I hadn't listened to this album before reading the review, I would have expected a lot. The review is excellent, 10 times better than the album
09.12.2010 - 10:48
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Guest on 09.12.2010 at 05:37

You'll get over it.

You sound just like my shrink.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
09.12.2010 - 11:04
Jeeers
Definitely not a bad album, but compared to their previous ones - a step down. A slight dissappointment this is ... for me, anyway.
09.12.2010 - 11:10
annodomini
Written by Guest on 09.12.2010 at 01:52

Really not as bad as people say. Not as good as people say, either. It's still a fantastic record and honestly, it will crack my top 20 this year.

I am not so sure, that Akphaezya will get to 2010 train on time.
----
the riddle wants to be...
09.12.2010 - 13:44
Rating: 4
whitepawel

I'm with you man
09.12.2010 - 14:00
kiwi33
I still think that "The Mantle" is their master-work but "Marrow of the Spirit" comes close.

Based on quite a few listens over the last few days...
09.12.2010 - 14:44
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Daniell on 09.12.2010 at 10:08

I was about to review this album. I listened to it 15 times (I always count, and my absolute minimum for reviewing is 10 times). I sat in front of my keyboard and then I felt I wasn't ready. I spent several days listening to the album 10 more times. I wrote the damn review and didn't submit it. I may, but in a few months, when I'm sure about what I wrote.

Why so much commotion? Because this album disappointed me like no other album for the last few years. Because I still can't believe that one of my favourite bands could release such a barren, lifeless album, full of ideas that go nowhere and don't mean much.

If I hadn't listened to this album before reading the review, I would have expected a lot. The review is excellent, 10 times better than the album

The more opinions the better! I remember we had three reviews of a particular Moonspell album all posted on the one day.

I personally quite liked this album. While it's somewhat different from what I've heard from Agalloch before, Marrow Of The Spirit is still quite a journey!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
09.12.2010 - 15:25
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Thryce on 09.12.2010 at 10:48

Written by Guest on 09.12.2010 at 05:37

You'll get over it.

You sound just like my shrink.

Haha, I would get a new shrink.
09.12.2010 - 15:58
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 09.12.2010 at 03:18

DON'T believe the hype.

Guess he refers to my ending line "Believe the hype"

well, to each one is own, right?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.12.2010 - 16:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@elio. Yes it was a reference to your "believe the hype" but also a reference to, was it NWA's or Run DMC's "don't believe the hype"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2010 - 17:40
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by annodomini on 09.12.2010 at 11:10

According to Metal Storm (unreliable at times) and other, more reliable sources (eg. emailed the band)...it's coming for December. BUT...the point of the matter is this: Agalloch's new album is fantastic. It beats the shit out of most albums in 2010. My favourite album of the year remains the new Alcest album, but this baby is definitely in the top 20.
I can't believe people think this is a letdown. There's a lot going on in this album that takes...at least twenty listens to properly digest. Of course it's my least favourite of the Agalloch albums, but it still rocks. This feels like a "Tool-- 10,000 Days" kind of album; that is, people just don't like it because it's really different from the prior album. I listen to music independently of other albums and look for the qualities and demerits of a work of art. And there are few demerits: it is relatively solid, in my opinion. The vocals are stunning compared to prior albums. The weak link is really Black Lake Nidstång's song structure: but if you hold on some of the most awkward moments of that song, the last three minutes are the most magnificent of the album.
09.12.2010 - 18:17
annodomini
Written by Guest on 09.12.2010 at 17:40

Written by annodomini on 09.12.2010 at 11:10

According to Metal Storm (unreliable at times) and other, more reliable sources (eg. emailed the band)...it's coming for December. BUT...the point of the matter is this: Agalloch's new album is fantastic. It beats the shit out of most albums in 2010. My favourite album of the year remains the new Alcest album, but this baby is definitely in the top 20.
I can't believe people think this is a letdown. There's a lot going on in this album that takes...at least twenty listens to properly digest. Of course it's my least favourite of the Agalloch albums, but it still rocks. This feels like a "Tool-- 10,000 Days" kind of album; that is, people just don't like it because it's really different from the prior album. I listen to music independently of other albums and look for the qualities and demerits of a work of art. And there are few demerits: it is relatively solid, in my opinion. The vocals are stunning compared to prior albums. The weak link is really Black Lake Nidstång's song structure: but if you hold on some of the most awkward moments of that song, the last three minutes are the most magnificent of the album.

I still hope that Akphaezya comes next year, cause 2010 is a shitty for music, and its better for them to lay down next year. For e the best album of the year is Pin Up Went Down - 342, and I will put agalloch somewhere between 6-10 places.
----
the riddle wants to be...

Hits total: 14300 | This month: 29