05. Axioma
06. Giants
07. Singular
08. Night Sight
09. Lightening

[Limited Edition Bonus 7" Vinyl]
01. Jotunblod (Doom)
02. Migration

Here we are again. I say that because Enslaved are beating the proverbial "Nordic Black Metal" horse to death. It seems like this is becoming a standard out of the Northern European Black Metal scene these days. Scary makeup, growling vocals, droning guitars, and a complete lack of direction other than to throw in some "evil" lyrics. Like anyone will ever go as far as Mercyful Fate did in the 80's lyrically? Doubtful, and I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

The only redeeming quality of this band is that the guitars have distortion, other than that it sounds like the rest of an already clichéd mess of metal coming out of northern Europe. It's basically a carbon copy of Immortal or Gorgoroth + (insert any band using the same gimmicks and sound from that region). The guitars drone away with the same simplistic rhythms using a grand total of 3 or 4 bar chords maximum for pretty much the length of any given track. Exhausting? More like headache inducing. The drums are nothing out of the ordinary providing a monotonous driving beat with little or no change, which when compounded with the lack of time changes or anything really interesting at all from the guitars, leaves the listener wondering, where's the beef? Where are the balls this music is supposed to retain which all the fanboys blather about?

Heavy? This couldn't be further from heavy. There's little or no chunk and grind which you'll find in bands like Nevermore or Exhumed. Heavy means driving, deep, rhythmic bass, and double bass drum blast beats with chunky, low, 7 and 8 string guitars. Heavy is music that has bite and gets right up in your face. Enslaved seem to be more about long, drawn out almost symphonic rhythms that never really go anywhere. Where are the time changes? Where are the melodic, blistering solos? Also, what's with all the growling and screaming all the time? Is everyone in Norway really so pissed off that there isn't any time to thoughtfully plan a cd and put some effort into the music?

When did people give up singing for growling, screaming, and grunting as if the vocalist is suffering from a bout of violent diarrhea throughout the entire cd? I like a good growl here and there like Opeth, but after an entire cd of it I want to take an ibuprofen. Enslaved made an attempt at mixing clean vocals with a growl on this cd, but it fell flat like the rest of their music.

The only thing I can fathom about the complete blind-devotion of the fans is that they don't know any better or haven't heard anything better. Enslaved left this listener wanting a hell of a lot more musically and lot less of the exact same tired, angry Nordic "scene," cd after cd. Giving this offering anything over a 3 is being generous.

This cd was a monotonous journey into boredom which would eventually spawn a headache. I actually enjoy bands like Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, and Wintersun because they all offer something musically. Their music actually goes somewhere, and some of the musicianship in these bands is god-like. Enslaved just aren't the caliber of musicians their fans make them out to be. You'll find so much more in bands like Symphony X, Fates Warning, Nevermore, Opeth, Death, Slayer, etc...

I don't hate Enslaved, I just think their music is severely lacking on just about every front. At least it's not Lady Gaga and the guitars are distorted

Rating breakdown
Performance: 3
Songwriting: 3
Originality: 2
Production: 2

Written by ponderer | 12.12.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Let me tell you how I know that an album is hard to digest but great. When I put it on for the first time, most of the songs blur together, it's impossible to tell them apart. The first impression about the album is accentuated by those cool fragments of songs that remain in my memory. During the second listen I manage to hear most of those fragments. Just when I'm about to play the album for the third time to get those last cool bits, I realise that there are some more cool bits that I picked up during my second listen. With every consecutive listen, the number of cool bits increases, and my mind connects them to respective songs. After 10 listens all bits are in place, the picture is complete and my smile is wider than a six-lane freeway, because the album is brilliant.

Read more ››
published 30.09.2010 | Comments (70)

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
It is almost certainly true that in each professional musician's life - if they are passionate and serious about their art - comes a point, when they become almost too good at what they do and the result is an album that doesn't take very many risks or doesn't include any truly mind-blowing melodies, riffs, solos, etc. For Enslaved, that point of becoming too good to take risks came with 2010's Axioma Ethica Odini.

Few albums will impress as highly on the first listen as this one, but that's not necessarily a good thing when it comes to (extreme) metal. An initial reaction of "I don't quite get it yet, but it's interesting" holds much more promise of an album becoming a true classic than does "OMG! This is awesome!"

Read more ››
published 20.08.2016 | Comments (24)

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 128   Visited by: 832 users
17.12.2010 - 14:31
RavenKing
Written by BitterCOld on 16.12.2010 at 23:00

Written by ponderer on 16.12.2010 at 19:23

Written by Uirapuru on 16.12.2010 at 18:20

The comments in here are starting to piss me off...

Deixa pra la rapaz. Nao adianta porque eles vão reclamar qualquer jeito. Tudo tranquilo

yep. the entire point of this "review" was causing a stir with baseless comments and stupidity designed to fire up more stupidity in response. so congrats, mission accomplished.

The only thing a joke review like this one achieves is to show his author for the retard he is and lower the credibility of this board.
By the way, if you read his past comments on this board, you will know there are many things he says in this piece of shit of a review that he truely believes in. It is basically a rant of an old idiot stuk in the 80s, as a few members pointed out.

Mind you, I'm not angry at all. After all, it only makes it more obvious for all to see that the guy is a fool and his opinion worths less than shit. He's skilled at discrediting himself.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
17.12.2010 - 15:04
farfaramir
This is the same guy that give a 9 to Poetry for the Poisoned?
17.12.2010 - 15:14
Rating: 10
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by farfaramir on 17.12.2010 at 15:04

This is the same guy that give a 9 to Poetry for the Poisoned?

The difference is - Kamelot's review shows that he did listen to the album, which isn't the case with Enslaved.
18.12.2010 - 11:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 16.12.2010 at 23:00
yep. the entire point of this "review" was causing a stir with baseless comments and stupidity designed to fire up more stupidity in response. so congrats, mission accomplished.

Yep, I found a few of the comments just as baseless and stupid as the review itself. If not even more so, as they were using those comments to criticise the review. lol
18.12.2010 - 21:10
Zuzuz0r
Now we all know this was posted for the lulz, what's next?
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
19.12.2010 - 00:29
MetalHead74
Enslaved a '' Carbon copy of Immortal and Gorgoroth '' WTF . 2.9...... Most illogical and ridiculous review I ever read
19.12.2010 - 22:38
I will try to stay on with your review:

GO VIKINGS!

(referred to the Minnesota Vikings)
----
;)
24.12.2010 - 01:07
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Undoubtedly the most researched, historically accurate, and unbiased review ever to be published on Metal Storm.

You only missed pointing out that Grutle Kjellson is actually in a long-term relationship with fellow Halloween fetishist Gaahl.

I hear they have a new clothing line called Viky - Viking gear for your baby.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.12.2010 - 15:50
Slayer666
I've a feeling that ponderer is in fact a cyber-masochist that gets a boner whenever he receives a negative comment.

A big lol at mentioning Wintersun and saying they offer something musically.
30.12.2010 - 15:54
Rating: 5
pdepmcp
Ponderer obviously downloaded the wrong album with emule. It happens.

Assuming he is not crazy (but it sounds a bit hazardous, considering the review), the main question is: what is the record he downloaded that deserved such a bad review?! Knowing the answer I could at least avoid an ugly release

Too bad we'll probably never know...
10.01.2011 - 23:16
Kennoth
Oh come on! This is so obviously fake that it'd be only more obvious if the review itself would hold a banner saying 'I'm fake' on it.

Like AS has said, some of the comments here are truly ridiculous.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
14.01.2011 - 15:17
evoola
I'm not sure what's worse, the review or the endless parade of retards getting all bent out of shape over a band that isn't that good to begin with. This cd is an exercise in boring.
15.01.2011 - 21:56
Rating: 9
vezzy
Stallmanite
You know, after watching "Dot Dot Dot - Animated" on Newgrounds (rofl link), I got this idea...

Well, perhaps as only a pipe dream in my mind, the same could be done here, only a) I'm not good at typography animation and I'm lazy, b) I doubt there's a voice actor half as good as D-MacX2, c) review is too long, d) no typos to mock in particular.

(still, have a laugh at ...)
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.01.2011 - 22:13
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Beautiful flash short, dude. XD
15.01.2011 - 22:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 15.01.2011 at 22:13

Beautiful flash short, dude. XD

Yeah, I know. Best NG Flash short I've seen in ages.

And it's only text and a voice-over.

P.S. the only reson I'm giving this to you @ MS is beacuase the voices where pretty good. but thats it!
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.01.2011 - 22:42
Zuzuz0r
Written by vezzy on 15.01.2011 at 21:56

(rofl link)

Wow.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
15.01.2011 - 22:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My musical taste of choice right now is post - drone - sludge - so when the reviewer mentions:

"Enslaved seem to be more about long, drawn out almost symphonic rhythms that never really go anywhere. Where are the time changes? Where are the melodic, blistering solos?"
...ew, i am interested
"the guitars have distortion"
...sign me up!
"The guitars drone away with the same simplistic rhythms using a grand total of 3 or 4 bar chords maximum for pretty much the length of any given track"
...giddyup, full steam ahead!

That's what I like about Enslaved, each listen offers something different depending what you're looking for: Black, Viking, Prog, Post, Sludge it's all in there you just gotta dig...
----
rekt
19.01.2011 - 04:59
Karwyn
May ask why this garbage hasn't been taken down by the staff yet? This is even worse than the "review" trashing BG's Nightfall In Middle Earth.
26.01.2011 - 21:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 28.12.2010 at 15:50

A big lol at mentioning Wintersun and saying they offer something musically.

Hhahahah I didn't catch that part, But I found even more hilarious that Amon Amarth is in that list as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.01.2011 - 19:12
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
This review should be deleted.End of story.
21.02.2011 - 00:03
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
This is better than Jerry Springer.
01.04.2011 - 16:26
MechanisT
Account deleted
Ponderer, I await your RESURRECTION on this holiest of days.
01.04.2011 - 16:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 16:26

ponderer is a living April Fool.
01.04.2011 - 18:01
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 16:53

Aye, albeit not a very enjoyable one.
01.04.2011 - 18:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 18:01

Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 16:53

Aye, albeit not a very enjoyable one.

'zackly! xD
08.06.2011 - 19:37
bodomroy
I've seen this user is banned. Why don't you erase this review?
09.06.2011 - 00:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by bodomroy on 08.06.2011 at 19:37

Because it's part of Metal Storm's gag reel.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.06.2011 - 17:49
bodomroy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2011 at 00:24

Written by bodomroy on 08.06.2011 at 19:37

Because it's part of Metal Storm's gag reel.

I understand but this is a review that has been done only to upset other users, i simply don't agree this time and this is just my opininon
09.06.2011 - 17:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by bodomroy on 09.06.2011 at 17:49

I understand but this is a review that has been done only to upset other users, i simply don't agree this time and this is just my opininon

We're aware of its existence and its intentions; we believe anyone with common sense will understand this review in no way reflects what the album actually sounds like, especially given the comments its received.

After all, it's a guest review - neither the band nor label were given this link, and it never appeared on the front page. No harm done really.
----
10.06.2011 - 18:36
bodomroy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2011 at 17:56

Written by bodomroy on 09.06.2011 at 17:49

We're aware of its existence and its intentions; we believe anyone with common sense will understand this review in no way reflects what the album actually sounds like, especially given the comments its received.

After all, it's a guest review - neither the band nor label were given this link, and it never appeared on the front page. No harm done really.

Ok, thanks for the explanation

Hits total: 15615 | This month: 58