07. Difference Engine
08. Dissemble
09. Religion Is Flawed Because Man Is Flawed
10. Human Augmentation
11. Blush Response (Difference Engine) [deluxe digibook bonus]
12. Landfill [deluxe digibook bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Fear Factory"

Additional info
The CD was mixed by Greg Reely and also features additional tracking by Logan Mader and artwork by Anthony Clarkson.

Drums were programmed for this album by the band with the help of John Sankey (Devolved).

Digibook edition contains 2 bonus tracks:

11. Blush Response (Difference Engine Remix) (04:38)
12. Landfill (Pitchshifter cover) (03:44)

Japanese edition contains 2 bonus tracks:

11. Blush Response (Difference Engine Remix) (04:38)
12. Timelessness 2

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
The rise of Skynet.

Read more ››
published 07.09.2020 | Comments (3)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 64   Visited by: 692 users
18.02.2011 - 03:05
Rating: 7
Vikcen
Metálico
Yes, a new from a interview with Burton in the "70.000 Tons of Metal", seems that will be a fully conceptual album, both in its story and in the art of the album. I'm sure it will be another good release, Fear Factory always was Burton C. Bell and Dino Cazares!
18.02.2011 - 19:54
sylrmha
I hope Gene is on drums again.
18.02.2011 - 20:34
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by sylrmha on 18.02.2011 at 19:54

I hope Gene is on drums again.

Why not? he is FF's member =). I do not think there's any problem in this case.
24.06.2011 - 11:53
Aetherius
Gonna be killer
24.06.2011 - 13:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Vikcen on 18.02.2011 at 20:34

Hehe, thats true. As far as I know, Gene joined FF as a full proper member, so I think he will be playing on the album. Although he is also drumming on Testament's new album, but that's only for the album. Paul Bostaph will be returning to the band once he gets better. xD

Hearing the new album will be have a concept, makes me even more excited for it! The last time they did a concept album ("Obsolete") it was great. \m/
30.06.2011 - 22:56
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.06.2011 at 13:18

Written by Vikcen on 18.02.2011 at 20:34

Hehe, thats true. As far as I know, Gene joined FF as a full proper member, so I think he will be playing on the album. Although he is also drumming on Testament's new album, but that's only for the album. Paul Bostaph will be returning to the band once he gets better. xD

Hearing the new album will be have a concept, makes me even more excited for it! The last time they did a concept album ("Obsolete") it was great. \m/

Yeah, i'm excited! hehe Obsolete is my favorite album from Fear Factory .
08.09.2011 - 21:23
Porlaneff
If this album be a 1/3 that Demanufacture and Mechanize were, will be a great album.
I hope that inthis album FF finally make good covers, 'cause I only like Your Mistake .
----
Metal is the law
The law is the metal
Metal the law is
Metal
(Metal is the Law - Massacration)
04.02.2012 - 00:03
Rating: 8
theFIST
I don"t think a fear factory album should have "the" in the name
anyways, looking forward to it
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
09.02.2012 - 16:38
s_t_s
Isn't the album supposed to come out in April ? No leak yet ? Well I only hope it comes as good as Mechanize which signed such a brilliant return of FF at the frontline !

Cannot wait to get my ears bleeding
03.04.2012 - 00:27
John Shock
I WANT IIIIIIIIIIIIIT! \m/
13.04.2012 - 04:14
Xytraguptor
If this is going to sound as much as Divine Heresy again like Mechanize then it's clear that Dino can't or doesn't want to play like true FF anymore.
15.05.2012 - 20:11
Rating: 9
InsaneMetal
Damn, the single "Recharger" is absolutely amazing. One of the best songs from Fear Factory, ever. If the whole album is in the same level we may have their best album. At times the song sounds like something straight out of "Demanufacture", but heavier.
21.05.2012 - 00:28
woodsmoke666
Written by InsaneMetal on 15.05.2012 at 20:11

Damn, the single "Recharger" is absolutely amazing. One of the best songs from Fear Factory, ever. If the whole album is in the same level we may have their best album. At times the song sounds like something straight out of "Demanufacture", but heavier.

Agreed! Sounds promising
----
tokoloshe
26.05.2012 - 16:46
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Xytraguptor on 13.04.2012 at 04:14

If this is going to sound as much as Divine Heresy again like Mechanize then it's clear that Dino can't or doesn't want to play like true FF anymore.

Mechanize lke Divine Heresy?? such nonsense... you ears are in other world.

Listen:

MECHANIZE IS TRUE FEAR FACTORY
29.05.2012 - 08:48
Xytraguptor
Nope. Sounds much more like Divine Heresy than old FF. Sorry.
31.05.2012 - 11:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Just finished my first listen to "The Industrialist", and two things immediately leapt out at me about it. First of all, this album would have benefitted a lot from a real drummer playing on it. Especially Raymond Herrara. Whilst even with a real drummer, FF's drum sound has always had a machine like quality to it, even Ray's triggered drumming had more warmth and feeling than the progammed drums here. I always wondered how FF would sound with a drum machine, and whilst the programmed drums are certainly not that much of a problem that they ruin the album, they do detract from, rather than enhance, the overall sound. Which is a shame.

On the plus side though, musically this is definitely the best effort from Fear Factory since they hit their prime during the mid-late 90's. FF have not sounded as vital and biting as this for a very long time, that is for sure! Now if only they could get Raymond back....
01.06.2012 - 00:51
Rulatore
Actually this is one of the best releases of the year
01.06.2012 - 00:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I listened to most of the album and not one song stuck with me. Putting it down to being in the wrong mood for it this time. Will try again another day.
01.06.2012 - 03:26
Moose
Fear Factory were one of the bands which got me in to metal. Since then, I've barley listened to them.
Hence, I can't really gauge how this compares to their other recent releases....but to me, it's sounding pretty damn good.
Last track was a bit weird though. Kept waiting for it to get going, but nope...just 9 minutes of ambiance.
01.06.2012 - 07:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Moose on 01.06.2012 at 03:26
Last track was a bit weird though. Kept waiting for it to get going, but nope...just 9 minutes of ambiance.

In the end, I think this is one of the main reasons why "The Industrialist" whilst being very good, fails to match up to "Demanufacture", and "Obsolete". The last 2 tracks are a total anti-climax, resulting in the album feeling as if it was rushed, and unfinished. "Religion Is Flawed Because Man Is Flawed" is a nice enough short melodic/atmospheric interlude, but it feels like it should have been fleshed out into a full song. Something epic like "Resurrection". However, that song could have worked as is, had the last track "Human Augmentation" been a dramatic, intense finale. But all it is, is 9 minutes of industrial ambience. Both "Demanufacture" and "Obsolete" had penultimate tracks that radiated atmosphere, tension, and drama. This album ends like a total damp squib in comparison. Which is a shame, when so much of what leads up to the final 2 tracks is so good. This fact, along with the use of a drum machine instead of a real drummer, are the main factors in why this album fails to reach the heights of their two most classic works.

The first time I heard "Human Augmentation" I also kept waiting for the song to properly get going, but it took me about 8 minutes into the track to realise that what I had hoped was merely an atmoshperic "intro", was actually the entire song.
01.06.2012 - 18:29
InsaneMetal
Pretty solid album. And I have absolutely no problems with the drums. IMO they sound better than those in Mechanize for the simple fact that it's not overly repetitive.

I expected more, but it's pretty damn good. I'm happy it brings back some elements that reminds us of older Fear Factory, like Obsolete and Demanufacture. The title track is incredible, as is New Messiah.
01.06.2012 - 18:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by InsaneMetal on 01.06.2012 at 18:29

Pretty solid album. And I have absolutely no problems with the drums. IMO they sound better than those in Mechanize for the simple fact that it's not overly repetitive.

I expected more, but it's pretty damn good. I'm happy it brings back some elements that reminds us of older Fear Factory, like Obsolete and Demanufacture. The title track is incredible, as is New Messiah.

As great a drummer as Gene Hoglan is, his style just wasn't right for Fear Factory. But when Raymond Herrera drums for FF, it sounds absolutely perfect for their sound. Had he been the drummer on this album, it would have sounded tighter and meaner. The drum machine certainly doesn't make the songs sound bad, as with FF being an industrial band, it doesn't sound too out of place. But still, Raymond could have made the album sound even better.

The first 4 tracks are all awesome, and would have held their own had they been on "Demanufacture" or "Obsolete". They certainly remind me of why I fell in love with those albums in the first place. The second half of the album does falter a bit, and fails to build on the momentum built up by the supreme first half of the album, but even with it's faults, the good stuff that is on this album gives me hopes for the future that FF can deliver a monumental work once again.
01.06.2012 - 23:29
Xytraguptor
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.06.2012 at 18:48

As great a drummer as Gene Hoglan is, his style just wasn't right for Fear Factory. But when Raymond Herrera drums for FF, it sounds absolutely perfect for their sound. Had he been the drummer on this album, it would have sounded tighter and meaner. The drum machine certainly doesn't make the songs sound bad, as with FF being an industrial band, it doesn't sound too out of place. But still, Raymond could have made the album sound even better.

Indeed. Gene is a godlike drummer, no doubt, but his style was too much for FF. Raymond is one of the basic essences that made FF what it was. He and Dino's and Christian's synchronicity made FF great. I still deeply hope they come back one day, maybe for the next album. Who knows?!

As for The Industrialist: In my view it's better than Mechanize, because it sounds less than Divine Heresy. Thank god. Also more electronics again, that partly remind of Demanufacture/Obsolete/Digimortal.
And Burton's voice is still supreme. Overall a great album.

Let's hope for the next masterpiece.
02.06.2012 - 01:51
InsaneMetal
Written by Xytraguptor on 01.06.2012 at 23:29

Written by Angelic Storm on 01.06.2012 at 18:48

Indeed. Gene is a godlike drummer, no doubt, but his style was too much for FF. Raymond is one of the basic essences that made FF what it was. He and Dino's and Christian's synchronicity made FF great. I still deeply hope they come back one day, maybe for the next album. Who knows?!

As for The Industrialist: In my view it's better than Mechanize, because it sounds less than Divine Heresy. Thank god. Also more electronics again, that partly remind of Demanufacture/Obsolete/Digimortal.

Bolded is what I completely agree with. And yeah I agree with Angelic Storm about the second half of the album.
02.06.2012 - 02:27
Vikcen
Metálico
Well, for sure it is clear that Gene Hoglan is not Raymond Herrera, like the case of Frederik Ehmke is not Thomas "Thomen" Stauch, both were part from the beginning of the essence of these great bands for a long time, that so well they fit into that style of music that they created in its time, with his touch so personal, so genuine and recognizable, and when they are not, the more you realize how unique they were, you realize that something special is missing in the set, in the whole... they are great drummers for me...

BUT in my opinion Gene Hoglan made a worth and great work in the album Mechanize, fresh and talented.
02.06.2012 - 03:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Xytraguptor on 01.06.2012 at 23:29

Exactly. Raymond is as fundamental a part of the classic FF sound as Burton or Dino is. Christian was a member of the "classic" lineup, and I'd love for him to come back one day too. But he's not as integral to the classic FF sound as Raymond is. What gives me hope that they may come back to the band, is that Burton and Dino fell out too not so long ago, and didn't play together for a long time. Yet they are reunited, and making music together again. Hopefully this is a sign that a reconciliation with Raymond (and perhaps also Christian) may happen one day. I for one hope it happens sooner rather than later...

I also noticed a re-introduction of more electronics into the sound this time, and an increase in the prescence of Rhys Fulber's work (who in many ways, was the fifth member of FF in their classic days), giving the album more of an industrial feel to it than the last 2 or 3 albums. Which is definitely a good thing. FF have their own signature sound, and they seem to be coming back full circle to that sound again. The toning down of the industrial elements on more recent albums, was certainly to the detriment of those albums, and indeed, the band itself. Hopefully the next album will see the circle being completed, and FF making a classic album again.

Burton sounds immense on this album, I have to say. His performance is outstanding.
03.06.2012 - 12:41
MechanisT
Account deleted
Emm... kinda underwhelming. Let's see if my opinion changes with time...
03.06.2012 - 21:12
SelfXPlanetOrE
03.06.2012 - 23:09
BanksD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.06.2012 at 12:41

Emm... kinda underwhelming. Let's see if my opinion changes with time...

This is pretty much how I felt of it too, but FF albums to generally take time to grow on me, so maybe this one just needs to be listened to more.
04.06.2012 - 03:40
RoboCohort
Well, I must say that I'm half-way through the album by now and I'm liking it very much.

Hits total: 20929 | This month: 46