Lots of metal Heads feel that this genre has
nothing to offer, that it is unintelegent and
without feeling, that it's all about smokin'
joints and gang wars.

But others may realize that rap and metal
arn't so different after all. Just look at
How Public Enemy Did a Song with Anthrax,
It's simple, both metal and rap can tend to have
rebelious and politically themed music. (punk to actually)
They both can indicate Drug problems and spiritual
Awareness.

For me, Rap is my favorite Genre of Music second
only to metal (Of Course!) Because I feel, well......
Pretty much the same as how I explained on the previous
Paragraph. It's intelligent, Political and for the most part
rebellious music. It also sounds good to me, If it's a good
M.C., the words flow like water with the Beat in the background.

So, what about you, is it stupid to you?
Do just not like the Sound?
Or maby you Love the sound,
and hey, do you relate to it?

Go Forth and Tell me!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: If you're going to critisize this genre of Music in any Negative way, Please make sure you critisize it with some inteligence. Statements like "The Only Good Rapper is a dead one," WILL BE MARKED AS A SPAM POST!!!
So please, remember that, and we're cool
24.12.2008 - 20:19
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by tulkas on 24.12.2008 at 10:00

Anyone seen the video, or heard the song rapper's delight by sugarhill gang??
reeeaaally cool song, the original is about 14 mintues long, but it's great. it's one of the classic rap 'bands' and i'd guess they influenced more than one. at least it's obvious the influenced afroman. at the end of his song colt 45, he actually copies the lyrics form one part of this sing only he changes some words. i mean, it's like the same mlody and rythm only a few words changed. anyway, great song rappers delight. i highly recommend it for anyone who likes rap a lot

Yeah, Actually that was considered to be one of if not the first rap songs. Them and grandmaster flash are acredited with the creation of hip hop.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
02.01.2009 - 12:37
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I think i might have stolen the worst rap album ever recorded in the history of music. Big Kuntry King's album Still Kuntry Maine is the WORST pseudo crunk rap i have everrrrr heard. the first three songs are literally one gigantic, unepic and excessively long song. not to mention there is no album progression or structure change even after listening to every song twice.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
03.01.2009 - 01:32
Zombie, M.D.
You're expecting depth in crunk/party rap?
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
03.01.2009 - 19:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by LeChron James on 02.01.2009 at 12:37

I think i might have stolen the worst rap album ever recorded in the history of music. Big Kuntry King's album Still Kuntry Maine is the WORST pseudo crunk rap i have everrrrr heard. the first three songs are literally one gigantic, unepic and excessively long song. not to mention there is no album progression or structure change even after listening to every song twice.

Yeah....you should've stolen Illmatic, or The Chronic, or Definition, or something better than that shit lol
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

18.02.2009 - 22:13
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
As retarded as he may be, Ludacris' new album is KILLER. hes got a crackin ass song with lil wayne and has damn good rhymes in all of his songs. most of em at least. check it out.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.02.2009 - 03:43
tulkas
el parcero
I admire ludacris for the song MOVE BITCH! it's just sooo cool, so agressive, it always makes me nod my head! it rulezz

lately i have been going a bit into Mos Def and have liked it a lot, his rhymes and lyrics overall are pretty damn good supported by very good music. i have liked it a lot. just in case someone cares, i'd recommend the song 'life in marvelous times', that's the one that i've liked the most
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
19.02.2009 - 10:03
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by tulkas on 19.02.2009 at 03:43

I admire ludacris for the song MOVE BITCH! it's just sooo cool, so agressive, it always makes me nod my head! it rulezz

lately i have been going a bit into Mos Def and have liked it a lot, his rhymes and lyrics overall are pretty damn good supported by very good music. i have liked it a lot. just in case someone cares, i'd recommend the song 'life in marvelous times', that's the one that i've liked the most

taht song is HILOLRIOUS. it came on when i was listening to music with my girlfriend and i started screaming the lyrics and she got mad at me, probably not to your surprise LOL.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

19.02.2009 - 20:07
tulkas
el parcero
@lechron: it's no suprise, indeed. but it's just that it can't be helped to sing/scream along. it's grrreeaat!!
----
19.02.2009 - 22:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I'm listening to Murder fo a Teenage life right now. It's some deep shit.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.02.2009 - 18:46
tulkas
el parcero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcqJDDhoUlc

whether you appreciate rap or not, i know you'll enjoy this video of chris rock talking about rap, and how it's become diffuclt to defend on a rational level it's pretty damn good and funny
----
20.02.2009 - 23:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I've seen that before. it's pretty awsome, and pretty true too...if you can find Saddam Housane In a hole in the middle of Iraqi boonies, then you should be able to find the guy that Shot Tupac on the Vegas strip right after a Mike Tyson fight. It's disgusting.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.02.2009 - 03:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
TOTALLY forgot i was going to a Kottonmouth Kings concert tonight. there are hella other peope playing too, we gon' get DRUUUUNK.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

28.05.2009 - 21:44
Thought.
A Dying God
I don't like much rap. I really do think most mainstream hip/hop has nothing to offer but gang violence and smokin' joints. If I wanted to hear about wars and violence, i'll put on Iced Earth or Kreator. If i wanted to hear music because i'm stoned out of my mind, i'll put on Mastodon or Kyuss or Down. Most rap just pisses me off when I hear it. 50 Cent and G-Unit is fucking retarded. Fuck Fat Joe. I've see Snoop Dogg live in college, that shit SUCKED. Kanye West is decent i guess, but knowing he thinks he's god's gift to man makes me want to lynch his black ass. And don't even get me started on the rap-rock fusion. Hollywood Undead is probably the gayest thing i've ever heard, worse than queer-core music like "Black Fag", a homosexual Black Flag tribute band. I'm no fan of Cypress Hill, Kottonmouth Kings, or Insane Clown Posse. Club Rap is pretty shitty, too. Ying-Yang Twins are horrible. Little John is not even funny to laugh at anymore. There is just so little talent behind most rap...

that said...

Underground stuff is amazing! Deltron 3030. Mos Def. MF Doom. Talib Kweli. Immortal Technique. This is all amazing stuff! Even mainstream artists are fantastic, like Wu Tang, OutKast, and oh man, The Fugees!! Lauryn Hill is probably the hardest chic out there. I love the depth and meaning behind most of these artists. Not only do they show such talent behind spitting out great verses, talking about real or fantastical things, but they do it in such an intelligent way. They are great musicians. I love this genre for these guys. I saw The Roots live at a festival called Bonnaroo in 2007. My favorite band Tool played there, and still, The Roots were by far the best performance there! I love that band, i'm trying to go see them soon down in NYC, they play the Highline Ballroom for about $10 every week or so. Oldschool artists are also some of my favorites. KRS-One. Kool Herc. RunDMC. Slick Rick. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

I wish today's mainstream was intelligent. Unfortunately, most of us are brainwashed by pointless television like Reality TV on MTV. Most people feed into social fads and live life according to whats "in" and whatever sells. It's cool to have gats in yo trunk, and 9 bullets in yo face, and a bullet proof hat and a new bitch everyday. fuck, its cool to do what Dre says, just Smoke weed everyday. forget you're alive. don't remember your purpose, goals or dreams. Just change with the new wave of cool every time television and radio tells you to. Dish out $90 for a concert to watch ignorance parade on stage. Whatever. I dedicated way too much effort into this post than i cared to.

metal is just better in every way possible.
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
28.05.2009 - 23:28
tulkas
el parcero
This is the song Changes by Tupac. imo it shows that rap (at least some years ago) wasn't just a booty-shaking-only-wanting-to-fuck music, but had a message instead. if you have trouble following the lyrics, look 'em up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMKM-eQPB4
----
01.06.2009 - 20:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Thought. on 28.05.2009 at 21:44

I don't like much rap. I really do think most mainstream hip/hop has nothing to offer but gang violence and smokin' joints. If I wanted to hear about wars and violence, i'll put on Iced Earth or Kreator. If i wanted to hear music because i'm stoned out of my mind, i'll put on Mastodon or Kyuss or Down. Most rap just pisses me off when I hear it. 50 Cent and G-Unit is fucking retarded. Fuck Fat Joe. I've see Snoop Dogg live in college, that shit SUCKED. Kanye West is decent i guess, but knowing he thinks he's god's gift to man makes me want to lynch his black ass. And don't even get me started on the rap-rock fusion. Hollywood Undead is probably the gayest thing i've ever heard, worse than queer-core music like "Black Fag", a homosexual Black Flag tribute band. I'm no fan of Cypress Hill, Kottonmouth Kings, or Insane Clown Posse. Club Rap is pretty shitty, too. Ying-Yang Twins are horrible. Little John is not even funny to laugh at anymore. There is just so little talent behind most rap...

that said...

Underground stuff is amazing! Deltron 3030. Mos Def. MF Doom. Talib Kweli. Immortal Technique. This is all amazing stuff! Even mainstream artists are fantastic, like Wu Tang, OutKast, and oh man, The Fugees!! Lauryn Hill is probably the hardest chic out there. I love the depth and meaning behind most of these artists. Not only do they show such talent behind spitting out great verses, talking about real or fantastical things, but they do it in such an intelligent way. They are great musicians. I love this genre for these guys. I saw The Roots live at a festival called Bonnaroo in 2007. My favorite band Tool played there, and still, The Roots were by far the best performance there! I love that band, i'm trying to go see them soon down in NYC, they play the Highline Ballroom for about $10 every week or so. Oldschool artists are also some of my favorites. KRS-One. Kool Herc. RunDMC. Slick Rick. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

I wish today's mainstream was intelligent. Unfortunately, most of us are brainwashed by pointless television like Reality TV on MTV. Most people feed into social fads and live life according to whats "in" and whatever sells. It's cool to have gats in yo trunk, and 9 bullets in yo face, and a bullet proof hat and a new bitch everyday. fuck, its cool to do what Dre says, just Smoke weed everyday. forget you're alive. don't remember your purpose, goals or dreams. Just change with the new wave of cool every time television and radio tells you to. Dish out $90 for a concert to watch ignorance parade on stage. Whatever. I dedicated way too much effort into this post than i cared to.

metal is just better in every way possible.

When it comes to the subject of War, it is true that I would much rather hear it from the world of Metal than the world of Hip Hop. Hip hop can still be good on that subject though, especially if taken from a political standpoint. Urban warfare though, is a very real and volatile thing, and songs such as "lil ghetto boy" by Dr. Dre or "I Gotcha Back" by the GZA do a good Job of portraying what people living in a high intensity urban envrionment have to go through.

As far as music to smoke to, well, imo hip hop is unsurpassed. lol. I mean, Electric Wizard is awsome, so is Sleep and Black Sabbath, as well as Jimi Hendrix and alot of Melo-Death. Yes, all of these things can blow your mind out of your asshole when you're high. But have you ever listened to a RZA beat stoned? I love nothing better. I get so lost when I hear the beat to 4th chamber that I might as well be a blind/deaf/mute thrown into the Labrynth and told to find my way out, in a good way. The song "The Score" by the Fugees as well as "Cowbows" just makes me feel so, well, awsome.
Fuck the Sherrif, I shot John Wayne, pushed him off a runaway train in the movie Shane
Hillarious Line. And speaking of lines, paying attention to little metaphors or similies while high can really blow your mind, because you might pick something up from it you didn't before. Like on Resperation by Mos Def and Kweli. "It's a paradox we call reality, so keeping it real can make you a casualty of abnormal normality." I think you get the idea.

Yes, alot of mainstream rap sucks, but some people in the mainstream today used to be very talented in their prime. Old School Fat Joe and Snoop Doog, to be particular about your post, are actually really good. Doggy Style was a pivital influence on the west coast hip hop scene, and back then he was much more lyrically inclined....not to mention those Dre beats....

But in general, i'm just as frustrated if not more by mainstream hip hop than you are. It DOES piss me off to no end that people would pay $90 to watch ignorance parade on a stage, to listen to and unquestioningly accept it when Lil Wayne claims to be the best rapper alive. It makes me angry that people are willingly allowing themselves to be brainwashed and are buying into whatever trend that's put out there. It makes me angry that people don't understand what it means to be part of a subculture and just think it's okay to say the same shit over and over again and call it hip hop. I hate that people don't even give credit to DJ's anymore, and that the DJ is just becoming some kind of faded image by these ungrateful fucking kids who have forgotten where rap came from. I hate that all mainstream rap talks about Now-a-days is sex, relationships, and money. They're not talking about what really matters! Like corrupt politics and corporations buying off politicians in order to further their own agenda and make the masses brainwashed and stupid......see, now I'm ranting lol. Yeah, I get your point but I think you approach this situation with just a few preconcieved notions.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

01.06.2009 - 20:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Tulkas: And yeah, Changes is a very good song. Another good song that explains the true meaning of Hip Hop is The GZA and DJ Muggs' "General Principles."
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.06.2009 - 01:44
Thought.
A Dying God
Written by Arian Totalis on 01.06.2009 at 20:35

Yeah, I get your point but I think you approach this situation with just a few preconcieved notions.

Guilty as charged. But that's how I am. One of my good friends is Jamaican and he loves to cut music. He's pretty good at it. He loves taking music I listen to and messing around with it, creating something killer. Do you know the song "Unicorn" by Gojira? He had a bit of fun with that. His cousin is the rapper, not anywhere profesionally, but you know, they make some CD's together. It's pretty cool to see what they create. THATS art. I can see that in a lot of rap. I think since i'm a musician, I just have this love for a different structure to music, a different take on music. I think i'm always going to appreciate heavy rock/metal over hip/hop anyday.
Me not liking most mainstream rap... well, on the flip of the coin, I also hate a lot of mainstream metal. 90's brought us Nu Metal. With the exception of a few bands like System of a Down and Slipknot, most of it was pure trash. Even slipknot, i'm not a real fan of, but i definitely enjoy some of their music a lot, especially their album Iowa. Look at today's offerings. I'm no fan of bands like Avenged Sevenfold. Trivium. Norma Jean. Black Dahlia.
I think there will always be music for people to hate. And that's not bad. If people didn't abso-fucking-lutly hate bands like Motley Crue or Def Leppard or The Scorpions in the 80's, then Thrash Metal would never have turned into the powerhouse it had become.
I'm glad I hate a lot of rap. It gives people like Lauryn Hill something to sing about
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
02.06.2009 - 08:00
tulkas
el parcero
What do you guys think about Eminem's video for his new song 'We made you'? I like it, 'cause he shits in today's hollywood and celebrity world being fake and fucked up. in case you haven't watched it yet, here it is
----
02.06.2009 - 22:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, it's pretty good. The whole album is decent imo. Relapse is waaaay better than Encore.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

03.06.2009 - 04:49
tulkas
el parcero
I haven't heard the rest of the album, i came across the video watching MTv or VH1 and thought it was pretty cool. i've never been much into Eminem, i just know his mainstream and most known songs. also, the movie 8Mile was pretty good too imo
----
06.06.2009 - 23:44
AbdelioR
The first style of music I really listened was rap, before it I didn't care about music; when I discovered it, hell, it was pretty awesome. I used to listen it all the day... but it happened. A friend show me a CD called "Live Bait for the Dead", hell, that day I just get gobsmacked. That sound was totally unknown (is this correctly said? have to improve my english I think ) for me. After that day, I started to heard/read names like children of bodom, stratovarius, tristania, etc... They were the first metal I heared. Since then, metal is the only genre I listen (ok... 97% of the time).

About rap? not a bad style, at least I can listen it (not like many other genres that are impossible to me) but fuck, rap is owned by metal. Well... what genre is not owned by metal?
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
01.07.2009 - 18:42
cmusiclives
Account deleted
Rap is where is it at right now, especially in the american culture. rap is being fused with all sorts of genres, and i like it. I dont like the lifestyle so to say and many of the artists views but its hot
09.08.2009 - 07:10
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I've been listening to rap groups such as Jedi Mind Tricks, Cunninlynguists and The Roots. If you were to ask me, this stuff blows the commercialised hip hop out of the fucking water. The samples these aforementioned groups use are so much more interesting and... bad ass.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
09.08.2009 - 12:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Visioneerie on 09.08.2009 at 07:10

I've been listening to rap groups such as Jedi Mind Tricks, Cunninlynguists and The Roots. If you were to ask me, this stuff blows the commercialised hip hop out of the fucking water. The samples these aforementioned groups use are so much more interesting and... bad ass.

I'm soooo in love with A Piece Of Strange. Also their new album is good (IMO their second best) - I'm talking of Cunninlynguists.

About the Roots, I tried only one of their album (too lazy to check its name now, it was Illadelph something) but I wasn't that impressed.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
10.08.2009 - 22:27
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Elio on 09.08.2009 at 12:14

Written by Visioneerie on 09.08.2009 at 07:10

I'm soooo in love with A Piece Of Strange. Also their new album is good (IMO their second best) - I'm talking of Cunninlynguists.

About the Roots, I tried only one of their album (too lazy to check its name now, it was Illadelph something) but I wasn't that impressed.

Yeah dude A Piece of Strange is one hell of an album, the music samples they use are great. Concerning The Roots, try out songs like It's All In The Music or Take It There, you'll see what i mean, but i do find they are inconsistent.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.08.2009 - 23:43
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Mos Def's new album The Ecstatic is pretty gung ho, it grew on me quite a bit. Tasteful music samples and the lyrics are actually quite good sometimes. Not to mention the black humor intro one of the tracks. The songs are quite varied and most of them are more than worthwhile, yep, I like Mos Def.
----
31.08.2009 - 08:42
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Visioneerie on 30.08.2009 at 23:43

Mos Def's new album The Ecstatic is pretty gung ho, it grew on me quite a bit. Tasteful music samples and the lyrics are actually quite good sometimes. Not to mention the black humor intro one of the tracks. The songs are quite varied and most of them are more than worthwhile, yep, I like Mos Def.

Life in Marvelous Time is a great song. Not just the music, but specially the lyrics. I still have to listen to the rest of the album, though, hehe. But if it is as good, or even better than this song, it definitely has to be a great album.
----
14.10.2009 - 08:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Anyone hear? Method man is getting up to four years on tax evasion.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

14.10.2009 - 14:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I know for example Jaromir Jagr (most famous czech hockey player) was investigated for that during his late years in USA too and it showed it was all fault of his tax consultant...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.10.2009 - 15:48
Elio
Red Nightmare
Dude Nas' Illmatic is one hell of an album... but I guess most of you already know it
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.