Metal Storm logo
This is where to find post/sludge/atmospheric metal suggestions

Original post

Posted by Deadsoulman, 13.05.2011 - 12:48
I see no one has mentioned Black Shape Of Nexus. Absolutely crushing, utterly riff-based sludge (except the Microbarome Meetings album which is pure drone) from Germany. They have a couple of releases available for download on their website, especially the Live in Mannheim tape is devastating. I've given a shot to pretty much their whole discography and you can't go wrong with these guys.
03.11.2011 - 15:41
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I see these guys haven't been mentioned anywhere. I've been tripping on their album again. They've got a bit of a Church of Misery vibe going with the vocals and the guitar tones

----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
15.11.2011 - 03:13
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I mentioned this "band" before (one-man band)...Fading Waves has a new release. Check it out if you want some atmo/post!

Fading Waves - The Sense of Space
----
rekt
25.11.2011 - 22:02
Pierre Tombale

Russian Circles, seriously
25.11.2011 - 22:07
Pierre Tombale

Fall Of Efrafa, tho they are more post hardcore-ish
25.11.2011 - 22:11
Pierre Tombale

Same goes for Amenra:

but maybe you will mind the crazy high screams here
26.11.2011 - 01:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Pierre Tombale on 25.11.2011 at 22:11

Same goes for Amenra:

AmenRa are totally awesome. I first came across them at Roadburn three or four years ago. And live they are really brooding and actually quite creepy as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2011 - 12:36
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Dude you going for roadburn this year??
----

Last fm
Don't click here
26.11.2011 - 14:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Spirit Molecule on 26.11.2011 at 12:36

Yeah got my ticket, so did Mr. Doctor.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.11.2011 - 03:01
Pierre Tombale

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2011 at 01:07

Written by Pierre Tombale on 25.11.2011 at 22:11

Same goes for Amenra:

AmenRa are totally awesome. I first came across them at Roadburn three or four years ago. And live they are really brooding and actually quite creepy as well.

at least one who knows about their quality!
28.11.2011 - 00:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2011 at 14:43

You bastards!
----

Last fm
Don't click here
28.11.2011 - 00:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Spirit Molecule on 28.11.2011 at 00:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2011 at 14:43

You bastards!

And Collin also got his and loads of other people I know. So it will be a 4-day party once again.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.11.2011 - 11:04
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Haha yeah, rub it in. Quite cool how tickets sold out so fast. Great line up this year as well
----

Last fm
Don't click here
07.12.2011 - 03:58
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Another gem found on the web...thank god for music blogs

Look To Windward - Fortunes Haze

A great mixture of clean and growl vocals, post and prog riffs and atmo and sludgy passages. Terrific!

Download entire album FOR FREE here:

http://looktowindward.bandcamp.com/album/fortunes-haze
----
rekt
11.12.2011 - 16:03
The Turbanator

This one is not bad either. Live version sounds bit better than the studio one.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.12.2011 - 17:00
baldur

Yep does sound better than the studio version
20.12.2011 - 20:09
The Turbanator

Thanks to this thread, I've known Tides From Nebula. What a fantastic band.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
22.12.2011 - 01:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by The Turbanator on 20.12.2011 at 20:09

Yes they have a couple of good releases. If you like them and want to listen to some similar bands/music check out these (if u haven't already):

Jakob
Callisto
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
God is an Astronaut
Explosions in the Sky
65daysofstatic
This Will Destroy You
Three Steps to the Ocean
Sleepmakeswaves
----
rekt
22.12.2011 - 10:07
The Turbanator

Written by tea[m]ster on 22.12.2011 at 01:35

Written by The Turbanator on 20.12.2011 at 20:09

Yes they have a couple of good releases. If you like them and want to listen to some similar bands/music check out these (if u haven't already):

Jakob
Callisto
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
God is an Astronaut
Explosions in the Sky
65daysofstatic
This Will Destroy You
Three Steps to the Ocean
Sleepmakeswaves

Ah yes I have all of them, except the last two. I'll check them out man, thanks!
----
22.12.2011 - 18:14
The Turbanator

Great band :
----
23.12.2011 - 00:42
IronAngel

Indeed, but totally out of place in this topic. I can still swallow heavy, sludgy post-rock bands like Russian Circles or Red Sparowes, but ASIWYFA are almost pure math rock.

Not that I'm the forum police. Just saying, if you're looking for heavy sludge stuff or something metallic, that band probably isn't the way to go. I really like that debut, though. They released a new album this year, called Gangs. I don't think it's quite as good, but still nice. (Battles' album Gloss Drop was my favorite math rock album of the year, I think.)
24.12.2011 - 03:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by IronAngel on 23.12.2011 at 00:42

Indeed, but totally out of place in this topic. I can still swallow heavy, sludgy post-rock bands like Russian Circles or Red Sparowes, but ASIWYFA are almost pure math rock.

Not that I'm the forum police. Just saying, if you're looking for heavy sludge stuff or something metallic, that band probably isn't the way to go. I really like that debut, though. They released a new album this year, called Gangs. I don't think it's quite as good, but still nice. (Battles' album Gloss Drop was my favorite math rock album of the year, I think.)

Hmmm, never listend to math rock before (at least not on purpose) but that ASIWYFA cut sounded pretty good to me. Sounds like something I could get into. Iron Angel, you can police this thread anytime you want. Your comments and suggestions are held in the highest regard...to me anyways!
----
rekt
24.12.2011 - 03:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I've been digging this little monster lately:

http://oflegend.bandcamp.com/album/cleric-of-samsara

FREE DOWNLOAD...

Check it out for some uncomplicated, riff-oriented sludge!
----
rekt
24.12.2011 - 12:59
The Turbanator

Written by tea[m]ster on 24.12.2011 at 03:31

FREE DOWNLOAD...

Very nice!
----
24.12.2011 - 18:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by The Turbanator on 24.12.2011 at 12:59

Written by tea[m]ster on 24.12.2011 at 03:31

FREE DOWNLOAD...

Very nice!

Bandcamp has alot of good shit. You may have to give your email or some you may have to buy but at least you can get a preview for free and it's always in mp3 or FLAC format...small price to pay.
----
rekt
30.12.2011 - 02:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Here are a few more I have uncovered recently. I will not post links, google is your best friend! Heck, some of these may be on this website

Junius - Reports From The Threshold Of Death
The Psyke Project - Apnea
Alternativ Quartet - Aripi
At The Soundawn - Shifting
Oceansize - Frame
----
rekt
02.01.2012 - 14:15
IronAngel

Written by tea[m]ster on 30.12.2011 at 02:59

Here are a few more I have uncovered recently. I will not post links, google is your best friend! Heck, some of these may be on this website

Junius - Reports From The Threshold Of Death

Yes, this album is so good. It's really strange too, like a mixture of heavy post-rock/atmosludge, and shameless alt-rock anthems. So many big vocal hooks, but such a rich and interesting sound. I really recommend it to those who haven't heard it. Something a little similar, but not as heavy or catchy, is Laura's Twelve Hundred Times.

Didn't know the other ones (except Oceansize, but only casually). I'll look them up, thanks.
02.01.2012 - 14:26
(((O)))

On the topic of Junius, has anyone heard the Junius/Rosetta split? Rosetta's side of the split was kinda disappointing but I really liked Junius. Especially this track, it's great.

02.01.2012 - 14:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by (((O))) on 02.01.2012 at 14:26

On the topic of Junius, has anyone heard the Junius/Rosetta split? Rosetta's side of the split was kinda disappointing but I really liked Junius. Especially this track, it's great.

I loved Junius when all they had to their name was the Blood Is Bright EP a long old time ago. I haven't been as impressed with them in recent years though but I'll give the new one a shot.
02.01.2012 - 14:32
(((O)))

Quote:
I loved Junius when all they had to their name was the Blood Is Bright EP a long old time ago. I haven't been as impressed with them in recent years though but I'll give the new one a shot.

I haven't heard that EP yet, I'll check it out now
02.01.2012 - 16:48
baldur

I recently discovered Monkey3. Their 2011 release beyond the black sky is pretty awesome.
i cant really describe the music but i think it fits to post/atmospheric at least