08. Northern Comfort
09. Kissing The Shadows
10. Hellion [W.A.S.P. cover] [bonus]
11. Shot In The Dark [Ozzy Osbourne cover] [Japanese bonus]
12. Don't Stop At The Top [Scorpions cover] [Finnish bonus]
13. Aces High [Iron Maiden cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]
14. Hate Me! [Original Single version] [2008 re-release bonus]
+ Everytime I Die [video] [Deluxe Edition bonus]

Children of Bodom? It's hard to describe their music if you've never heard it before. It's a mix of power metal, speed metal and on the other side black/death metal for vocals! Let's say that it's just amazing. For their third album, Children of Bodom has taken the good things of their two previous ones and added some boosted melodies. As a result, Follow the Reaper is a brilliant cocktail of angry riffs and sweet but fast melodies.

The first song, "Follow the Reaper" perfectly introduces the tone of the album. Solos in all the songs - of course! - and ravenous vocals. The highlights of this album are "Everytime I Die" and "Hate Me!" [with a very deep chorus: 'I don't give a fuck of you hate me'!]. What to say about the rest? One of the best albums ever. "Mask of Sanity" and "Kissing the Shadows" kick ass as well. The alternative play of two real geniuses, Alexi 'Wildchild' Lahio on lead guitar [and vocals] and Janne Warman on keyboards, makes CoB's music wonderful. And once you've caught their melodies, you can't stop listening to Follow the Reaper. By the way, I've seen them on stage and I couldn't believe my eyes: Lahio is playing all guitar solos but also part of the rhythm in addition to vocals!

Always on the top in their own particular style, Children of Bodom play here an excellent power/speed/death metal, full of incredible solos, performed by Alexi 'Wildchild' Lahio and his "twin musician" Janne Warman. Follow the Reaper is a masterpiece that would establish the band as the leader of the Finnish metal army.

Written on 10.09.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
Death be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and dreadful, thou art not so.

The follow up album to Hatebreeder, this album too has a very good little speach to kick it off. The five peace melo-death/extreme power metallers are back and better than ever with this album. This album, like their previous work has infamous neo-classical passeges, legendary harmonies, and solid rhythm work. Ladies and gentlemen, I have followed the reaper and I have tasted his scythe, it was sweet.

Read more ››
published 31.07.2007 | Comments (21)

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 210 users
24.09.2006 - 00:34
Martinikuss
that's awesome album, with more awesome songs, YEAH !!:devil:
10.10.2006 - 18:57
Rating: 10
matthioso
fantastic album of a fantastic band
----
www.seedofrock.be
17.11.2006 - 05:02
danzig111
Account deleted
This is one of the best albums ever made! it is simply brilliant! The first Power Metal album I ever owned

It will always be one of my top favourites, when I was about 14 years old or so and I had a shitty day at school, I would always pop in this CD. Damn, Children Of Bodom will never release a better album!

The neo-classical riffing, the guitar and keyboard solo battles. WOW! simply mind blowing!
17.11.2006 - 13:55
Rating: 9
Stigmatized
Their best effort, for sure. I don't really listen to anything after this album, but this one is truly great.
19.11.2006 - 00:44
Talvi
Amazing, but Hatebreed is a bit better overall. Even though, one hell of an album. Extremely recomended
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
23.11.2006 - 05:49
northerfreak
Account deleted
This is the extreme metal album to bear. When i first heard this i was blown away by the guitar works and the melody. To put it shortly if i was stranded on a desert island this is the album i would bring!!!!!
29.03.2007 - 23:50
Bitch Boy
This is my favorite CoB album without any doubt, the solos are amazing, and almost every song is amazing.
29.03.2007 - 23:56
Martinikuss
As someone said MASTERPIECE
31.03.2007 - 21:54
Basso
Account deleted
This is their best album no doubt. I dont listen to any other release from them nowadays.
29.04.2007 - 23:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Even though Hate Crew Death Roll is my favorite album opinion wise, objectively speaking this is there best album, quite a masterpiece.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.04.2007 - 00:53
Darktonny
Account deleted
This is my favourite Children of Bodom album, yeh, great album.
28.07.2007 - 00:42
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
This Children of Bodom album is quite good, perhaps not my favorite of their albums, but it has some of the best songs. Everytime I Die, Kissing The Shadows, Bodom After Midnight, and Hate Me are all great songs.
13.10.2007 - 11:04
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
After this album Cob went Downhill but this one is great i love every single track on it especially Kissing Thy Shadows
----
Stay Metal !!!
14.10.2007 - 03:16
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
wait a minute, why the hell are there 2 reviews for this album on MS?
14.10.2007 - 19:16
Astaroth_666
Account deleted
not theyr best work...but still ok...from this album on the went pretty low...pretty,pretty low...
16.01.2008 - 17:30
I think this is their best album. The first tree were really sepcial but I think this is what their have been searching for on something wild and hatebreeder.
16.01.2008 - 19:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
This was one of the albums which made me a Metalhead and it got me into growls. Do I need to say more?
----
09.02.2008 - 04:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
The 1st album I heard of COB. Deffinitely a masterpiece... I actually dedicated Hate Me! To my ex's dad
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
06.04.2008 - 05:43
Rating: 8
IronBlackZepp
Good, but I hate the vocals, Very black metal. I do think that all of the instrumentals are great. Ill give it a 7/10.
17.08.2008 - 20:37
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
this album is great...hail CoB!!:banger2:
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.02.2009 - 16:08
taha_69
This album and Hatebreeder are CoB's finest moments.
14.04.2009 - 18:25
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Great album. Perhaps not quite as technical or fast as Hatebreeder, but by far their best written (instrumentally). I love how every instrument plays its own distinct role but never in the way you end up expecting.The sound kind of got carried over into hatecrew but was more "linear" if you know what I mean.
20.04.2009 - 21:56
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
THE most overrated Children Of Bodom work. This album lacks everything: memorable riffs, quality solos, melodies, catchy power, choruses... I usually don't care about lyrics, but this one sucks too.

A huge disappointment to me, after all the good things that was said about this album.

I found myself thanking god for the silence between the tracks (ok, now i'm exaggerating), but with the exception of ''Hate Me!'', every track sounded too much similar, lacking everything that I was expecting after listening to their other works.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
02.09.2009 - 23:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Their best album
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.11.2009 - 05:41
SatyriconChick
I'm still a pretty new CoB fan, having only heard them for the first time 2 years ago. "Hate Me" was the first song I ever heard by them, and I instantly got hooked! I promptly bought this album afterward and really enjoy it.
27.11.2009 - 21:01
DethByMetal
Best COB album because after this one Alexi loses his good screaming (which sucks...) but this classic album surely makes Finland the heavy metal capital of the world.
27.11.2009 - 21:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by DethByMetal on 27.11.2009 at 21:01

Best COB album because after this one Alexi loses his good screaming (which sucks...) but this classic album surely makes Finland the heavy metal capital of the world.

I think all their albums are good
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.11.2009 - 21:04
DethByMetal
The Riffs and solos on the songs are far superior to other bands (example: All That Remains...... cough cough....) especially in the song Kissing The Shadows.
28.11.2009 - 14:48
Lord_Regnier
The last listenable album from this band. After that they went downhill and suck big time now.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.11.2009 - 17:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by DethByMetal on 27.11.2009 at 21:01

not really look at all the bands from germany or the U.K there really is no metal Capital.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 9125 | This month: 27