Metal Storm logo
Best Thrash Metal Scene

Poll

Which one is the best thrash metal scene?

Bay Area Thrash (Exodus, Testament)
Teutonic Thrash (Kreator, Sodom)
East Coast Thrash (Anthrax, Overkill
Brazilian Thrash (Sepultura)
Canadian Thrash (Voivod, Annihilator)

Total votes: 144
12.05.2011 - 23:05
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
I was wondering which one was the best. I tried to include all the important scenes, while I left out any scene that I thought was very obscure. I voted for Teutonic, because I like its' brutality.
12.05.2011 - 23:08
MechanisT
Account deleted
I like Teutonic Thrash more than the others. They've got a more "evil" edge to them in their music, in my opinion.
12.05.2011 - 23:18
TrollandDie
I think Canada produced the best stuff in my opinion. Annihilator is just as headbang-friendly as Exodus, Kreator etc. but the musician skill (especially the guitar playing) is something else. Such well thought out riffs and leads that pull your head from side to side with shredding set at mach 10 along with Jeff Water's little sprinkle of insanity added to the mixture. As for Voivod, they produced some of metal's most unique stuff. It isn't some artsy pretencious bullshit but just a sideways (or rather inside-out back-to-front in- reverse concoction) style of playing that has made them stand out in my mind. Awesome stuff.

I hugely respect the other scenes but Canada, for me personally, is where it's at.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
12.05.2011 - 23:33
Zap
I'm just going to vote for Kreator I like other Tuetonic Thrash, but Kreator is in my opinion the best Thrash Metal band of all time.
12.05.2011 - 23:49
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Bay Area and German scenes are definitely the best, though Kreator is my favorite band, and i like Sodom, Destruction and Coroner (well, Coroner are swiss) but i must vote for the Bay Area Scene, i mean, its where thrash started, it's where most thrash bands come from (i don't know why didnt the topic creator mention MEGADETH and METALLICA and fucking-SLAYER in the examples, and of course the legendary Exodus and Testament too), i just can't see how can the Bay Area scene be compared to other scenes, its contributions alone to Thrash, and its offshoots such as Death Metal and Black Metal and other Extremes subgenres should make it the most respectable metal scene ever.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
13.05.2011 - 00:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Bay area. nice to limit it to two 'second tier' bands... but it's just overflowing with bands that were omitted.

Metallica
Vio-Lence
Heathen
Forbidden
Death Angel
Sadus
Laaz Rockit
Possessed

the fact is it's one specific metropolitan area being pitted against entire countries makes it abundantly clear who the 'winner' is. but this poll will not be determined by which is the best "scene", but rather the fact morons won't bother to look at the big picture and will cast their vote based entirely on the one band they like.

Bay Area - 22,000 sqkm
Germany - 137,000 sqkm
Canada - 10,000,000 sqkm

hell, if we expand out the Bay Area to California (same ballpark size as Germany at 165,000 sqkm) you get to add Death Dark Angel, Slayer, Megadeth, Holy Terror and Suicidal Tendencies, amongst others, to the list.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.05.2011 - 00:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zombie on 12.05.2011 at 23:49

Bay Area and German scenes are definitely the best, though Kreator is my favorite band, and i like Sodom, Destruction and Coroner (well, Coroner are swiss) but i must vote for the Bay Area Scene, i mean, its where thrash started, it's where most thrash bands come from (i don't know why didnt the topic creator mention MEGADETH and METALLICA and fucking-SLAYER in the examples, and of course the legendary Exodus and Testament too), i just can't see how can the Bay Area scene be compared to other scenes, its contributions alone to Thrash, and its offshoots such as Death Metal and Black Metal and other Extremes subgenres should make it the most respectable metal scene ever.

Slayer aren't from the Bay Area they are from Huntington Park Los Angeles.

And to be hyper correct Metallica are also originally from LA and only moved to SF because of Cliff

Megadeth are also originally from LA.

But both Metallica and Megadeth gained fame when they ahd moved to SF so they are regarded as part of the Bay Area
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2011 - 00:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 13.05.2011 at 00:04

Bay area. nice to limit it to two 'second tier' bands... but it's just overflowing with bands that were omitted.

Metallica
Vio-Lence
Heathen
Forbidden
Death Angel
Sadus
Laaz Rockit
Possessed

the fact is it's one specific metropolitan area being pitted against entire countries makes it abundantly clear who the 'winner' is. but this poll will not be determined by which is the best "scene", but rather the fact morons won't bother to look at the big picture and will cast their vote based entirely on the one band they like.

Bay Area - 22,000 sqkm
Germany - 137,000 sqkm
Canada - 10,000,000 sqkm

hell, if we expand out the Bay Area to California (same ballpark size as Germany at 165,000 sqkm) you get to add Death Angel, Slayer, Megadeth, Holy Terror and Suicidal Tendencies, amongst others, to the list.

and then you didn't even metion Testament, Defiance, Blind Ilussion, Sentinel Beast, Hirax for the Bay Area
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2011 - 00:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2011 at 00:17

And to be hyper correct Metallica are also originally from LA and only moved to SF because of Cliff

But both Metallica and Megadeth gained fame when they ahd moved to SF so they are regarded as part of the Bay Area

Metallica call themselves a Bay Area band, good enough for me. (Kirk on Get Thrashed)... and they moved there before they hit, so i have no qualms calling them a Bay Area band, as opposed to say, Megadeth. I'd never call them an Arizona band even though Mustaine relocated them to Phoenix for a while.

Testament was one of the two that the OP listed under the scene.

As for Slayer, i listed them and other bands in my statement that if we were to include the state of CA, they'd be added to the list, along with a fistful of other great acts. they're from OC... not LA. (also Get THRASHed) OC is a suburb, but LA is so vast that it might as well be Mars and Venus.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.05.2011 - 00:29
terrorist
I don't like these categoryes,i like bands who plays tharsh metal.So for me it doesn't matter wich category is it.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
13.05.2011 - 00:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Btw I voted Bay Area for the precise reasons BitterCOld stated.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2011 - 00:36
Ghostdancer
I had to go with the Bay Area...just too many good bands at one time. I do like the idea of extending it throughout California for a lot more good bands...including the LA caffeine machine: Dark Angel.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
13.05.2011 - 00:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 13.05.2011 at 00:25

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2011 at 00:17

Metallica call themselves a Bay Area band, good enough for me. (Kirk on Get Thrashed)... and they moved there before they hit, so i have no qualms calling them a Bay Area band, as opposed to say, Megadeth. I'd never call them an Arizona band even though Mustaine relocated them to Phoenix for a while.

Testament was one of the two that the OP listed under the scene.

As for Slayer, i listed them and other bands in my statement that if we were to include the state of CA, they'd be added to the list, along with a fistful of other great acts. they're from OC... not LA. (also Get THRASHed) OC is a suburb, but LA is so vast that it might as well be Mars and Venus.

I have no problems calling Metallica Bay Area either because like you said they moved there before they hit. Same more or less for Megadeth.
And Metallica of course has Kirk who is from the BA. Funny thing though now is that 3/4 are from LA (I consider Lars not as Danish )

As for Slayer I always forget how vast LA is and therefore see OC as LA
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2011 - 00:48
It's a close one between Teutonic and Bay Area, but I listen more BA bands then German ones so vote goes to the West Coast
13.05.2011 - 01:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2011 at 00:40

As for Slayer I always forget how vast LA is and therefore see OC as LA

the greater LA area is twice the size as the Netherlands... 87k sqkm vs. 42k sqkm. Basically the American southwest is a lot of nothing, nothing, more nothing, and then huge (area-wise) cities.
----

13.05.2011 - 01:50
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Overkill and Megadeth are my favorite bands, each from different coasts... The east coast has Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, and Whiplash, but the west has Metallica, Slayer, and Suicidal Tendencies, Vio-lence, Forbidden, Heathen... I think that the west wins.
13.05.2011 - 03:00
Tormentor666
No doubt, Bay Area.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13.05.2011 - 03:46
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by BitterCOld on 13.05.2011 at 00:04

hell, if we expand out the Bay Area to California (same ballpark size as Germany at 165,000 sqkm) you get to add Death Angel, Slayer, Megadeth, Holy Terror and Suicidal Tendencies, amongst others, to the list.

Death Angel are from Pittsburg/Concord which is like 30-40 minutes from SF.

Nah, no expanding out necessary.. Bay Area.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
13.05.2011 - 03:49
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 12.05.2011 at 23:49

If I put MEGADETH, METALLICA and SLAYER in any scene, everyone would have voted for that scene!
13.05.2011 - 04:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Death To Posers on 13.05.2011 at 03:46

Bay Area covers a lot of territory, including surround suburbs. They were listed as Bay Area on Get Thrashed, and various other sources. They played most of their gigs there. THey had a rivalry with Vio-Lence. you can stand wherever you would like, but since they and their contemporaries refer to them as a Bay Area band, I'll sit over on that side of the room.
----

13.05.2011 - 04:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 13.05.2011 at 03:49

If I put MEGADETH, METALLICA and SLAYER in any scene, everyone would have voted for that scene!

so your poll is fucking pointless then.

you intentionally omitted bands that were integral to scenes because it would influence voting? hell... why not list the Teutonic scene without 3 equally integral bands. suddenly you're left with, what? tankard?

Metallica was one of the key bands in the Bay Area scene, it was their pad everyone partied at. Omitting them to attempt to adjust the poll results just invalidates the question.
----

13.05.2011 - 05:22
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by BitterCOld on 13.05.2011 at 04:00

Written by Death To Posers on 13.05.2011 at 03:46

Bay Area covers a lot of territory, including surround suburbs. They were listed as Bay Area on Get Thrashed, and various other sources. They played most of their gigs there. THey had a rivalry with Vio-Lence. you can stand wherever you would like, but since they and their contemporaries refer to them as a Bay Area band, I'll sit over on that side of the room.

Yeah.. They're definitely from the Bay, that's what I meant. I know people who went to school with them. Basically anything within an hour or so drive from SF or Oakland is conisdered the Bay Area by Bay Area natives. However, even cities 2-3 hours away will identify with our scene and/or culture.

"hell, if we expand out the Bay Area to California (same ballpark size as Germany at 165,000 sqkm) you get to add Death Angel, Slayer, Megadeth, Holy Terror and Suicidal Tendencies, amongst others, to the list."

This is what I quoted originally from you which seemed to imply that Death Angel is NOT from the bay. I was trying to say they were.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
13.05.2011 - 05:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Death To Posers on 13.05.2011 at 05:22

This is what I quoted originally from you which seemed to imply that Death Angel is NOT from the bay. I was trying to say they were.

haha, i see what happened now.

i thought you were implying they were not from the Bay Area... I listed them as a band omitted from the Bay Area scene on my opening post. In the same post I listed thrash bands from the LA area and apparently fucked up, typing Death Angel again when I meant to type Dark Angel.
----

13.05.2011 - 05:36
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by BitterCOld on 13.05.2011 at 05:31

Written by Death To Posers on 13.05.2011 at 05:22

haha, i see what happened now.

i thought you were implying they were not from the Bay Area... I listed them as a band omitted from the Bay Area scene on my opening post. In the same post I listed thrash bands from the LA area and apparently fucked up, typing Death Angel again when I meant to type Dark Angel.

Yeah, that makes sense now lol, The names are pretty damn similar.
----
13.05.2011 - 07:42
IDieForMetal
I vote for Bay Area Thrash (Exodus, Testament), but it cost me a lot of pins to decide between the bands listed here are the best.
13.05.2011 - 08:42
The Galactician
I grew up in the Bay Area and have to give it up to my home. Seeing bands like Exodus, Death Angel, Violence, Forbidden, and Testament on a regular basis--it was just a great scene and time to be a part of.

Side note: when I was 15 or so I saw Testament, Voivod, and Nuclear Assault together at the Warfield. That show changed my life. Thrash across the zones for the win!

Also will add, before everyone gets their panties in a bunch about the weighting of this poll based on this or that band's inclusion, chuck your elitism at the door for a sec and bow to the goodness that is thrash and a thread to chat about it. Hells to the yes.
13.05.2011 - 10:29
immortal83
Sepultura's first albums are fucking great, but Brazilian Thrash scene? I don't know any other thrash band from Brazil right now. It's difficult to choose one option, but I think that Bay Area is the most famous and known because of Metallica. There are other bands without a scene like Coroner, Celtic Frost, Venom.... I vote for Bay Area (maybe LA) because of Metallica, Slayer , Megadeth.
13.05.2011 - 11:01
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Teutonic Thrash all the way for me Kreator, Sodom,Mekong Delta,Tankard are all my favorites.........But i would also die for Slayer,Death Angel, Exodus
13.05.2011 - 11:26
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by immortal83 on 13.05.2011 at 10:29

Sepultura's first albums are fucking great, but Brazilian Thrash scene? I don't know any other thrash band from Brazil right now. It's difficult to choose one option, but I think that Bay Area is the most famous and known because of Metallica. There are other bands without a scene like Coroner, Celtic Frost, Venom.... I vote for Bay Area (maybe LA) because of Metallica, Slayer , Megadeth.

Yeah I can't think of many Brazillian bands either. Sarcofago and Sepultura are the only ones that come to mind. I'm sure theres way more. They had quite a big Death/thrash scene.
13.05.2011 - 14:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by immortal83 on 13.05.2011 at 10:29

Slayer are NOT Bay Area and neither are Megadeth really.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996