Metal Storm logo
Black Metal vs Death Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.09.2006 - 23:44
What do you like best black or death?

Its a hard choice but i defently like Death metal the most. Mainly because of growling vocals and the drumming.
But let me hear your opinions.

Poll

What do you like best?

Death Metal
Black Metal

Total votes: 450
09.07.2011 - 04:05
Metal_4Ever
Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 03:51

Written by Metal_4Ever on 09.07.2011 at 03:49

Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 03:14

Written by Metal_4Ever on 08.07.2011 at 00:14

Written by Guest on 07.07.2011 at 20:41

Death Metal can be BR00TAL, Black Metal can't.

Not every br00tal is enjoyable

And not every Black Metal tr00 is.

Are you talking seriously or just LoL ?

Seriously. You really don't know what raw Bm is like, the only BM band you listen to is Dimmu Borgir. Listen to Mayhem first.
Death Metal IMO kills Black Metal, nuff said.

Really? for your information BM was the first genre I listened to and I have listened to a lot of BM bands like Enslaved and Emperor and Mayhem but just I don't somehow like their songs doesn't mean I don't know what BM is, Dimmu Borgir is The Best BM band I'd ever seen, their style their lyrics their epic's songs... made me love that genre especially they are Symphonic.
09.07.2011 - 15:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Are 15-year-olds fighting about who knows more about black metal?

Because that's awesome.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.07.2011 - 15:50
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.07.2011 at 15:40

Because that's awesome.

Don't diss that shit dude, a year ago I was already into BM for about 4 years, which is way more than some self-proclaimed know-it-alls that were 10 or more years older than me. Just sayin'.
09.07.2011 - 15:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 09.07.2011 at 15:50

Don't diss that shit dude, a year ago I was already into BM for about 4 years

I know these two guys; one thinks Cradle of Filth is a leading death metal band, the other most likely hasn't heard 90% of what black metal has to offer due to his apparent fear of satanic lyrics. I'm not dissing 15-year-olds in general, I just find it funny that these specific 15-year-olds are fighting.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.07.2011 - 16:06
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.07.2011 at 15:59

Written by Slayer666 on 09.07.2011 at 15:50

Don't diss that shit dude, a year ago I was already into BM for about 4 years

I know these two guys; one thinks Cradle of Filth is a leading death metal band

It isn't?
Damn....
09.07.2011 - 16:13
JD
Account deleted
Hahahaha Fuckin Classic man! ....reading all this KVLT posts xD
09.07.2011 - 18:37
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.07.2011 at 15:40

Because that's awesome.

I'm just saying that a guy that knows nothing 'bout BM surely KNOWS that Dimmu are sellouts not belonging there.
07.09.2012 - 19:42
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally like black metal more. I'm personally more captivated by the atmosphere and the folk-like riffs of these bands. It's amazing.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
19.09.2012 - 23:04
Oaken
Hipster
I'm looking back and laughing at my old posts and the idiocy therein. Like: how could I ever say "black metal sucks"??? I was really retarded back then. I hope I've grown since then and my posts became... less stupid
Anyway, I'll make a little comparison.

Death Metal:

Positives:
1. Catchy songwriting: Death metal riffs are quite interesting and powerful.
2. Leads and solos: Death metal kills black metal at solos and leads.
3. Technicality: Personally this isn't that much of a great thing always, but I guess it's not bad to be a little technical.
4. Brutality: Death metal is brutal. It's violent and personally I think it portrays the metal attitude perfectly.
5. Extremely Headbangable: Along with thrash, death is probably the most headbangable genre.
6. Drumming: Black metal drumming can be great, but death metal drummers seem to me more proficient and skilled (Flo Mounier)
7. Bass: Destroys BM in this domain.

Negatives:
1. Repetitiveness: I get bored of listening to too much death metal in a short period of time. Unless a band is SO original, it sounds banal.
2. The Decline Of Old-school DM: Personally I prefer bands with dark atmospheres and simplistic riffs to modern bands that only care about wankery (there are good modern bands of course).
3. EXTREME brutality: Some of the most brutal death metal bands are quite ridiculous and only care about idiotic brutality.
4. Lyrics: Of course I can't generalize, but lyrical themes of death metal don't appeal to me.
5. Weaker subgenres and fusion genres than black metal: Atmospheric black metal, Melodic black metal, Blackgaze > Tech death and deathcore IMO.

Black Metal:

Positives:
1. Atmosphere: The most amazing thing. Timeless.
2. Feel: Black metal bands evoke a sense of grandeur and beauty. Always. Whether grim or ethereal.
3. Simplistic: To me, this is a great, great thing. I like how bands like Urfaust make the best out of their extremely simple music.
4. Tremolo Picking: It's very astounding that a gigantic genre such as BM is based on a technique so simple, yet still alive and kicking.
5. Atmospheric black metal: My favorite subgenre ever. Mesmerizing.
6. The Cascadian scene: My favorite scene. Agalloch-worshipers.
7. Diversity: Skagos sound nothing like Immortal or Blut Aus Nord.
8. Originality: A lot of metal's most original bands are black metal bands. Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord
9. No decline: Black metal, along with doom metal, are the freshest sounding genres out there if I'm not mistaken.

Negatives:
1. White noise sometimes: Sometimes, black metal riffs come off as white noise. I hate this, but it happens very rarely nowadays.
2. Kvlt Necro Grim 666 whatever: I hate bands that churn out evil riff after evil riff, ending up extremely banal and repetitive.
3. Satanism: This is something personal. But my tastes are usually not oriented towards Satanic BM, so it's not that much of a problem.

So, by comparison, I prefer black metal, mostly of the atmospheric type, but I enjoy some death metal from time to time.
Aargh my old stupid accounts
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
19.09.2012 - 23:18
Fredd
Account deleted
Cool topic... *sarcasm*
01.12.2012 - 16:33
megadeath13
Account deleted
Death metal without doubt. I like some Black metal but its not comparable to death metal.
08.12.2012 - 15:31
Dinruth
I can't take a pick ... I'm not a big fan of the original death metal, but MDM is one of my favourite genres .. black metal on the other hand, I have just begun to grow into .. so I don't know .. I like certain aspects and dislike others from both genres .. so I'll stay neutral on this one
20.12.2021 - 23:58
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I voted for death metal.

I appreciate the central idea of black metal: creating a cold, epic atmosphere (even the blasphemous lyrics can be entertaining). But while the ideas may be great, I often don't like the execution.
There are of course black metal albums that I find incredible: The Somberlain, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, Enter the Moonlight Gate, At the Heart of Winter, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, for example.

But overall, I have far more death metal albums in my list of all-time favorites. One reason for this, I think, is that there is a huge variety of death subgenres that I like:

- Old school death metal (Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Dismember, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Autopsy, Asphyx....)
- melodic death metal (Be'lakor, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity)
- progressive death metal (Edge Of Sanity, Opeth)
- blackened death metal (Necrophobic, Dissection)
- technical death metal (Quo Vadis, Atheist)
- thrash/death fusion (Sepultura, Kreator)
- brutal death metal (Nile)

Plus the ultimate joker: Death, which expertly delves into the old school, melodic, thrash, and progressive styles!

I will continue to explore more black metal, but at the moment I definitely prefer death metal
21.12.2021 - 01:34
Metal Rasputin
Tough choice, black metal has all the experimental avantgarde goodness while classic old school death metal in itself is a bliss.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
04.08.2022 - 14:52
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Wow it's really been 8 months since I posted in this thread? Damn, time flies. Anyway, I'm finding myself in an interesting scenario.

Black metal is growing on me more. And I notice that that extreme genre awakens extreme emotions in me. Either I really really like a black metal album or I really really don't. I'm finding no middle ground. On the other hand, i find a lot of death metal albums that I like, but that don't necessarily blow me away.

So, the BM albums that I really like I rank higher than the DM albums in general, even though there are more DM albums that I like (but don't worship). So quantity wise, DM is more reliable. But quality wise, there are a selection of BM albums that are near perfection! (Vamachara, Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, Storm of the Lights Bane etc...)

Does that make sense?