Metal Storm logo
Insomnia/Sleeping

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 26.09.2006 - 21:07
Recently I've been having problems with sleeping. It has been leaving me moody, angry, thoughtless and unable to put thoughts together in speech. Everything I try go sleep I have a million thoughts going through my head. Either that or I have problems with neck support or with my sheets or something trivial.

So in relation to the previous, my question is the following to all MSers: When you have problems sleeping throughout a consecutive amount of time what do you do? Do you take sleeping pills? Do you count sheep? Do you do yoga? What do you do to cure this problem?
27.11.2006 - 21:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Vampiriam: That might be my problem...I have shitloads of electronic devices that I keep on in my room...
30.11.2006 - 15:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
During the years 2003-early 2006 I had real problems with my sleep. 20 hours was probably my average sleep during a week. Once I didn't sleep for 3 days. I didn't know why I couldn't sleep, school is probably not the answer since school is much more work and stress now than before, and today I sleep pretty well.
----
02.12.2006 - 23:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Vampiriam: That was a good suggestion because it worked...thanks!
@Warman: Wow...that's like...3 hours a night...
14.09.2009 - 22:16
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Kinda off-topic but i was wondering if there exist superstitions and myths surrounding "Sleep Paralysis" in other cultures, too?
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
24.09.2009 - 04:47
FOOCK Nam
Oh yeah, I got imsomnia nearly 6 years, but Im more on mental health problem rather than solely inmsonia. Currently I am using Benadryl Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, I think I like it. To the topic creator, what I wonder if you dont sleep or sleep few, do you feel tired? And if you have many thoughts in your head, what I wonder do they run very fast like you are thinking about prbolem A and then after 1 minutes you thinking about problem B but substantially if problem B & A are not the same, haha then watch out.

PS: problem A & B are totally different, what I mean.
24.09.2009 - 06:20
tulkas
el parcero
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 14.09.2009 at 22:16

Kinda off-topic but i was wondering if there exist superstitions and myths surrounding "Sleep Paralysis" in other cultures, too?

I had no idea that existed, so I just "Wikipediated" it, haha.

Now, I usually don't have any trouble sleeping. My parents say that around a month old I slept throughout the whole night without waking up, so since I was a baby I've been a good sleeper. Nonetheless, when I got depressed, and when I feel like that, I get insomnia (besides the loss of appetite, and other stuff). I just can't conceal my sleep and stay awake all night, no matter what. It sucks, because then I just stay up all night, and the only thoughts that keep revolving in my head are those thoughts that got me depressed in the first place.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
24.09.2009 - 18:48
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by tulkas on 24.09.2009 at 06:20

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 14.09.2009 at 22:16

I had no idea that existed, so I just "Wikipediated" it, haha.

It occurs if body paralysis (during REM) persists while the brain awakes from the REM state. This means you are conscious yet incapable to move a single muscle...Even all your efforts to scream is in vein...Thus after a few seconds/minutes it's all gone.
It seldom happens but is a really brutal experience i tell you, i actually love it! It's like being more than hald dead...

In folklore, there's a whole lot of stories trying to explain why...Here for example, It's said to be caused by a creature called Bakhtak sitting on you...
----
24.09.2009 - 21:45
tulkas
el parcero
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 24.09.2009 at 18:48

It occurs if body paralysis (during REM) persists while the brain awakes from the REM state. This means you are conscious yet incapable to move a single muscle...Even all your efforts to scream is in vein...Thus after a few seconds/minutes it's all gone.
It seldom happens but is a really brutal experience i tell you, i actually love it! It's like being more than hald dead...

In folklore, there's a whole lot of stories trying to explain why...Here for example, It's said to be caused by a creature called Bakhtak sitting on you...

I've never had that, but I guess that if it happened I'd freak out completely. I mean, when I wake up it takes me a bit to open my eyes and move, but because I'm lazy, you know, not because I'm incapable. But if I can't move because I am incapable, hoooly crap, I'd freak out, no doubt.
----
24.09.2009 - 22:09
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by tulkas on 24.09.2009 at 21:45

I've never had that, but I guess that if it happened I'd freak out completely. I mean, when I wake up it takes me a bit to open my eyes and move, but because I'm lazy, you know, not because I'm incapable. But if I can't move because I am incapable, hoooly crap, I'd freak out, no doubt.

Haha...Maybe.
But i still find in pretty much awesome once in a while for a change!
Thus i still have no idea why/when it happens?! :/
----
25.09.2009 - 02:58
Nexus
Asshat
I have experienced the same thing quite often. If I cannot stop thinking, I simply exhaust myself by writing incessantly. I enjoy writing a lot, so perhaps you should find something you enjoy doing, like say for example if you like playing guitar dedicate yourself to that until you become exhausted as well. If that doesn't work, I go online and research a bunch of things that interest me, and once I feel satiated with the information I've absorbed, I consequently get drowsy and am able to go to bed. However, despite this sometimes, I still wake up frequently throughout the night.

The only other time I am able to sleep thoroughly and completely is when I'm really smashed, but that's normally when I come home from being out somewhere. Otherwise, if you're into drugs, smoke a bit of pot to help relax your mind. I do that on occasion when I have no other option. Also, drinking warm milk is helpful. I put some sugar in mine so it doesn't taste so bad. Just heat up some milk on a stove, or a microwave, add some sugar and drink up! Usually works pretty nicely.

I would suggest watching TV as well. That tends to lull the mind into slumber. Music helps too. If not, go out for a jog. I find that works wonders if you tire yourself out to the point where your legs burn and you're completely out of breath. Usually out like a light afterwards.

Also, dunno why, but if you have a girlfriend or something, go to sleep with her if you are able. I find that I am able to sleep better (although not always completely/easily) when I am with my boyfriend. If not, just find someone to sleep with, like a friend or something. I know, you're a guy, so it's soooooo not masculine (cough), but for a while I really wasn't able to sleep at all, so I would go over to my best friend's house and cuddle with her simply for body heat. I dunno, I find it really comforting and soothing.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
25.09.2009 - 03:17
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Nexus on 25.09.2009 at 02:58

Also, drinking warm milk is helpful. I put some sugar in mine so it doesn't taste so bad. Just heat up some milk on a stove, or a microwave, add some sugar and drink up! Usually works pretty nicely.

If I do that, my stomach would fill up with gas and I'd be farting all night keeping me up Sorry, haha, but it's the truth But I found that if I've had some beers, it's easier for me to fall asleep. I'd try smoking pot, but here with my parents it's outta the question Another reason why I want to get my own place.
----
25.09.2009 - 06:59
Nexus
Asshat
Written by tulkas on 25.09.2009 at 03:17

Written by Nexus on 25.09.2009 at 02:58

Also, drinking warm milk is helpful. I put some sugar in mine so it doesn't taste so bad. Just heat up some milk on a stove, or a microwave, add some sugar and drink up! Usually works pretty nicely.

If I do that, my stomach would fill up with gas and I'd be farting all night keeping me up Sorry, haha, but it's the truth But I found that if I've had some beers, it's easier for me to fall asleep. I'd try smoking pot, but here with my parents it's outta the question Another reason why I want to get my own place.

Haha, I'm like that too when I drink a lot of beer, so I know how you feel . Then again, I'm a pretty gassy individual naturally ... as in I tend to not hold my farts in when I feel em' .

That sucks. Yeah, that's one of the main things I enjoy about having my own place -- when I can't go to bed, or heck, simply for the sake of smoking, I like being able to light up a nice spliff without any worries.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
25.09.2009 - 11:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
So i see that sleep comes in 90-minute cycles, so i thought about sleeping in 90 minute cycles, last night i slept from about 12:30 to 8:10 which is about 7 hours and 30 minutes and i hope i'm gonna get used to this in time as i've been sleeping way too much.