Metal Storm logo
Ensiferum

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 18.05.2006 - 03:59
Here is the new topic for the new forum. The DVD is due out in June and the new album is supposedly set for a February 2007 release. Enjoy!
22.03.2008 - 22:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
ensiferum kick major ass, they have a truly unique, energic sound imo
25.03.2008 - 01:16
Vegetarian
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 20.03.2008 at 22:50

@Vegetarian
Whats not great about the songs off of 'Iron'?

I don't really know, it's just that they sound more mediocre than on the other two albums, especially Victory Songs.
03.04.2008 - 22:40
Colony
Account deleted
I think Iron is the worst CD out by them (well unless you count Dragonheads which is an EP). It's by no means a bad CD but definitely not up there with "Victory Songs"
03.04.2008 - 23:02
eximius
Written by [user id=31847] on 03.04.2008 at 22:40

I think Iron is the worst CD out by them (well unless you count Dragonheads which is an EP). It's by no means a bad CD but definitely not up there with "Victory Songs"

that's not very convincing, it's like saying the red candy is better than the blue one. Cmon they are both candy. If it is the worst cd then u probably didn't listen to it that much... none of ensiferum's albums is the worst one
03.04.2008 - 23:03
eximius
except Dragonheads
03.04.2008 - 23:10
Colony
Account deleted
Written by eximius on 03.04.2008 at 23:02

that's not very convincing, it's like saying the red candy is better than the blue one. Cmon they are both candy. If it is the worst cd then u probably didn't listen to it that much... none of ensiferum's albums is the worst one

Well what I really meant was that if I had to choose a worse album it would be that. Although I do like "Lai Lai Hei" and "Into Battle"
04.04.2008 - 02:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=31847] on 03.04.2008 at 23:10

Well what I really meant was that if I had to choose a worse album it would be that. Although I do like "Lai Lai Hei" and "Into Battle"

Personally I think the self titled debut was the worst, aside from 3 or 4 songs I couldn't really get into it. and even those 3 or 4 songs dont match the songs on Iron.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.04.2008 - 03:09
Colony
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 04.04.2008 at 02:59

Personally I think the self titled debut was the worst, aside from 3 or 4 songs I couldn't really get into it. and even those 3 or 4 songs dont match the songs on Iron.

Well, I've heard other people say that as well but IMO Iron's songs can't compare with "Hero In A Dream", "Token Of Time", "Eternal Wait", "Battle Song", "Guardians Of Fate" and "Treacherous Gods". Not putting down Iron in any way but IMO their self-titled is just better
04.04.2008 - 03:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=31847] on 04.04.2008 at 03:09

Well, I've heard other people say that as well but IMO Iron's songs can't compare with "Hero In A Dream", "Token Of Time", "Eternal Wait", "Battle Song", "Guardians Of Fate" and "Treacherous Gods". Not putting down Iron in any way but IMO their self-titled is just better

I think its mostly because of production, I mean, I like bands with poor production values, but it just doesn't fit if your making epic viking type metals. Iron just sounds a lot fuller to me.
----
- George Carlin
04.04.2008 - 03:23
Colony
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 04.04.2008 at 03:14

Written by [user id=31847] on 04.04.2008 at 03:09

I think its mostly because of production, I mean, I like bands with poor production values, but it just doesn't fit if your making epic viking type metals. Iron just sounds a lot fuller to me.

To each his own I suppose.....
14.04.2008 - 01:42
eximius
I like every single song from this awesome band. But since the self titled album has got more songs then Iron, it might be my favorite one
don't take me serious on that. I really cannot say which one is better and which one is worse and if it happens one day that I shall have a revelation it will be just for the moment and would probably "win" by moustache.

Once I listened to Ensiferum when I was in a camp in the mountains. It helped me pass over the feelings of exhaust and really gave me energy to continue walking up the mountains. Every time I listen to Ensiferum images of me walking on the top of the carpathian mountains come into my mind and I can say that I almost feel the fresh mountain air passing through my nostrills, it's just amazing.
Awesome band...
14.04.2008 - 09:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by eximius on 14.04.2008 at 01:42

Once I listened to Ensiferum when I was in a camp in the mountains. It helped me pass over the feelings of exhaust and really gave me energy to continue walking up the mountains. Every time I listen to Ensiferum images of me walking on the top of the carpathian mountains come into my mind and I can say that I almost feel the fresh mountain air passing through my nostrills, it's just amazing.
Awesome band...

Yeah I did a lot of remote camping in mountains over the summer, constantly listening to "The Varangian Way" by Turisas, now every time I listen to that album it takes me back.
----
- George Carlin
14.04.2008 - 22:12
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
IRON is by FAR the best album. The S/T is also very good, but Iron is PERFECT!! After they lost Jari, I thought the band would not be able to continue, but Victory Songs did surprise me. Its a good album, but no where near the quality of the two before it. Jari is a fucking genius on the guitar and his vocals are so majestic. Although I must say I am glad he decided to start Wintersun.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
16.04.2008 - 14:23
Colony
Account deleted
Written by [user id=26446] on 16.04.2008 at 06:29

Are you on drugs my friend can I have some...? Only joking it's good for morale but seriously how can you say this? I know we are all different and I am probably the biggest fan of Petri Lindroos you will ever find to me he is god and that's it as far as I am concerned but there is no way in hell that Victory Songs is better than Iron.

I can't even listen to Victory Songs now cause it's so boring and the only really interesting songs are Ad Victoriam The New Dawn and Victory Song. Petri's leads are so boring compared to when he plays with Norther, he can't sing at all so that's now not the same either and it has to much keyboard use throughout the album also. Jari was what made Ensiferum magical and that is the difference now Markus can't make that magic anymore on his own without someone who is as eqaully talented at Folk Metal as Jari is beside him that's why it's not the same anymore.

Like I said we all different my friend, don't think for one second I am having a go at you or your taste that's totally cool it's just something that makes no sense to me since I am so obsessed with Jari's musical abilities.

I honestly think that Victory Songs is the best album. I think I've only listened to Iron maybe 4 times though compared to the 50 or so times I've listened to Victory Songs. I just love almost all the tracks on Victory Songs. I think the only songs on there I'm "iffy" about would be "Ahti" and "Raised By The Sword"
16.04.2008 - 15:35
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I find Victory Songs to be weak compared to the bands two earlier albums. The clean vocals are weakened on Victory Songs, leaving the folk element mainly coming from the keyboards, which can become cheesy. The guitars parts are not as well written. The album is lacking the melodic guitar parts which fans of the other two albums loved. The soloing on this album is not at clean or as good without Jari on guitars. None of the riffs are even that memorable. However, all this being said, the album is still okay. It just does not live up to the other two.
17.04.2008 - 10:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=31847] on 16.04.2008 at 14:23

Written by [user id=26446] on 16.04.2008 at 06:29

Are you on drugs my friend can I have some...? Only joking it's good for morale but seriously how can you say this? I know we are all different and I am probably the biggest fan of Petri Lindroos you will ever find to me he is god and that's it as far as I am concerned but there is no way in hell that Victory Songs is better than Iron.

I can't even listen to Victory Songs now cause it's so boring and the only really interesting songs are Ad Victoriam The New Dawn and Victory Song. Petri's leads are so boring compared to when he plays with Norther, he can't sing at all so that's now not the same either and it has to much keyboard use throughout the album also. Jari was what made Ensiferum magical and that is the difference now Markus can't make that magic anymore on his own without someone who is as eqaully talented at Folk Metal as Jari is beside him that's why it's not the same anymore.

Like I said we all different my friend, don't think for one second I am having a go at you or your taste that's totally cool it's just something that makes no sense to me since I am so obsessed with Jari's musical abilities.

I honestly think that Victory Songs is the best album. I think I've only listened to Iron maybe 4 times though compared to the 50 or so times I've listened to Victory Songs. I just love almost all the tracks on Victory Songs. I think the only songs on there I'm "iffy" about would be "Ahti" and "Raised By The Sword"

Yeah I think Victory Songs would be my favorite as well. I think its because aside from Turisas, Im not really into a lot of epic metal, and Victory Songs doesn't seem as big and epic as the previous albums (take it as a good or bad thing). The only songs I was iffy about were 'The New Dawn' and 'Raised By The Sword'. But I learned to love the solo from The New Dawn, and the chorus to Raised by the Sword is pretty awesome, Im still not a fan of the timing at the start of 'Raised by The Sword', how the keyboards are playing a slowish melody and the drums and guitar are going fast. Other than that I thought the album was awesome.
----
- George Carlin
17.04.2008 - 12:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm more into Victory Songs than the other albums somehow. It feels more epic and I'm such a sucker for Lindroos. Wanderer also breaks my heart, so great is it!
----
17.04.2008 - 18:06
eximius
Victory Songs is a bit different from the other 2 albums that's why some regard it as great and others as the weakest. I never compared the albums in a way I can say that one is better, that one sucks;
I think I started to LOVE this album after 10 times of listening it;
my favorite songs are Deathbringer from the sky, Raised by the sword, Victory song...(at least for now)
18.04.2008 - 00:34
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Hay this is getting interesting!

You say victory songs is much better than Iron, well anybody could listen whatever they want, but actually Iron have more melody structure than victory songs and a lot of force, and i'm not comparing jarii and petri, because marcus toivonen is the leader of the band and the majority of songs are composed by him now.

Victory songs is great, but for me Iron came first (and was my first ensiferum album) so it has a lot of power and is more extreme.
09.05.2008 - 01:55
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Look what I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrY6dRJYNeI

Great piece of heavy metal

I'm sorry about the bad youtube quality but try to enjoy
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
17.05.2008 - 23:30
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by heresiarch on 09.05.2008 at 01:55

Look what I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrY6dRJYNeI

Great piece of heavy metal

I'm sorry about the bad youtube quality but try to enjoy

that video shows the true power of ensiferum, I prefer it to metallica itself
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
19.05.2008 - 14:02
razorblade_666
Account deleted
great band
i love folk metal, especially like Ensiferum or Finntroll

slava
23.05.2008 - 00:14
Almighty Ent
Dragon Reborn
Great group ... totally fires me up to run thru the woods naked after a major WoW session. Seriously though, awesome band.
31.05.2008 - 10:59
vapotrini2
Really interesting to read all the different opinions. People who have recently discovered Ensiferum via Victory Songs all seem to prefer it to their first 2 CD's. Nothing all that surprising really when you consider the gigantic disparity in play counts that must exist.

Put it to you this way, in my opinion if someone listens to Iron & their ST album the SAME amount as Victory Songs, there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD they'd proclaim Victory Songs to be better. At least the percentage would be overwhelmingly against Victory Songs. It's still a very good album, but it's not a "classic" like the first two definitely were. And fwiw for me, their self titled has a slim lead over Iron. Can't get enough of Treacherous Gods and Windrider.

Really sad to hear only 1 original member left in the band... they ruined a fantastic thing because we all know it'll never be the same.
01.06.2008 - 16:29
VPeter
Is there anyone else here who also thinks that Ensiferum has some really sloppy or crappy build up in there songs?
They have make a good live band with lot's of catchy songs and drinking songs but they are pretty bad when it comes to setting an atmosphere.
Eventough they have a lot of diverse Metal elements in them they are often not used to their fullest, look at Moonsorrow they have some catchy songs but also a lot epic songs who really set the atmosphere. However Ensiferum pretty much fails at that deparment, I hope they will get it right with the next album and prove that they also can set an epic atmosphere.
02.06.2008 - 18:55
Janne
Hugin
For me Ensiferum is good as it is. They don't need an epic atmosphere like Moonsorrow or other viking metal bands. Ensiferum is different. They play much more popular music than others in the same style. Their music for everybody. For example there are a lot of symphonic metal bands but only Nightwish is played on the TV. I think Ensiferum is in the same position.

for me all the albums are perfect! okey, there is a song on Ensiferum and 2 songs on Victory Songs which is only 4/5... and I like Dragonheads too.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.06.2008 - 05:15
Demorgiis
Account deleted
Ensiferum is awseome.. just pulled out Iron cd
17.06.2008 - 05:17
Demorgiis
Account deleted

i like iron, but since you say victory songs is better im gonna trust you and order it right now.. kinda wanted it anyway
17.06.2008 - 07:31
Demorgiis
Account deleted

I must dissagree with you. I just bought victory songs and i must say.. this is my least fav by them. i thought maybe they could pull it off without jari but i dont like the new singer petri. just not as good. The self titled original Ensiferum album is the best. IMO
17.06.2008 - 12:40
Janne
Hugin
Written by [user id=33290] on 17.06.2008 at 07:31

I must dissagree with you. I just bought victory songs and i must say.. this is my least fav by them. i thought maybe they could pull it off without jari but i dont like the new singer petri. just not as good. The self titled original Ensiferum album is the best. IMO

I must disagree with you Petri is one of the greatest musicians all over the world. He is fantastic! I saw him from less than 5 metres on paganfest so I know what I'm talking about
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-