‹‹ Back to the Metalstormers Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34
Users visited: 270  
Search this topic:  

deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.07.2014 at 02:58
Quote:
Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 02:38

from what I've seen in USA) seems rare. There were some very interesting projects in London of all places though ala 30 St Mary Axe and The Shard.

WWI had a far greater impact than we usually think. People think about WWII as the most traumatising in history, and rightly so because of the Holocaust, but they often forget about the suddenness, the absurdity, and the violence of the first war. WWI was the first huge slap in the face for a Europe that only knew progress, prosperity and expansion, since the end of the Napoleonian wars. Actually the meaning of the word history changed at the time. Our concept of looped history came from that, when people understood mankind was not going to progress indefinitely. It resulted in a morbid fascination of machines, death and death by machines in art in general. That also influenced design and applied arts, that turned their back on the past and embraced the mechanic barbary of it all. Which is ironic, as you pointed it out, but it was conscious, for the most of it. The horror was too much to put up with, it had to come out in some way. Even in literature, the stylistic equivalent of the architectural ornament was dropped. It's those decades that gave us the counter-utopias like Brave New World, etc. But that you might know about already.

Totally agree even though my knowledge is based more on politics and social conflict than art. WWII was in some way just cementing what started in WWI (sorry for list but it's just easier):

- USA as industrial power
- Sets up final conflict between capitalism and communism (which had been brewing throughout 19th century and which saw first major blows to capitalism in 1917 when the Tzar was overthrown
- Confirmation of "common people" as basis of society and not blue blood aristocracy. Nazis and Communists did this too just like democracies.
- Perfection of industrial production (partially related to USA/USSR being set up as number 1 powers - both had massive industrial capacity compared to Europe even if Soviet one was geared towards military)
- Final blows to Europe as centre of the world - WWI started it in a major way. WWII finished it.
- Socially the whole concept of the lost generation with anywhere up to 10% of the male population dead and many more crippled and scarred (in some cases entire villages lost the bulk of their younger males).

I can see a lot of this affecting art, even if on a subconcious leel.

Quote:

We are far from your cutey flowery nymphs of Art Nouveau right? Just 15 years later. I did not include images of art that deals with the WWI trauma, I just wanted to show you how much it changed things even in a domain more related to advertising than art itself.

I do like those images. They evoke a feeling of unstoppable modernity and progress. Unfortunately today you'd just get stock photos of the ship which are not really evocative. A case of the idea being far more appealing than the reality - which is good marketing!

Quote:
Those two you buildings you don't like, expect more of them in the future, especially the second. That is what is being erected everywhere in Europe as well as here. I don't know anything about how it is in Tasmania though, maybe a bit late on that? It's funny how you're going at it with examples of buildings you like haha. We could go on for hours if we had to name the places where there is interesting architecture .

Yeah well, you can't do much about ugliness in contemporary architecture unfortunately. It's just like any other product. We are too many and too much in a hurry to care about visual satisfaction most of the time. There are exceptions of course, mostly public projects and privately funded projects by huge companies. But there is a "movement" that is called micro-architecture. Small projects by qualified "non-commercial" architects that try to integrate the human and beauty back into their low-budgeted, functional constructions.

It's sad. Not seen much "micro-architecture" in Tasmania but then this is a decaying state which spends most of it's time in social stagnation and economic decline (our current economic woes started in 2006 and that was before GFC ). Hence not much innovation and not much government building either. I go to Melbourne a bit but it's mainly modern generic "mass production" architecture to the nth degree - though overall impact is one of constant growth due to new buildings sprouting up all the time. Here's the Melbourne skyline - not exactly unique.

Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 03:38
Written by deadone on 17.07.2014 at 02:58

Totally agree even though my knowledge is based more on politics and social conflict than art. WWII was in some way just cementing what started in WWI (sorry for list but it's just easier):

- USA as industrial power
- Sets up final conflict between capitalism and communism (which had been brewing throughout 19th century and which saw first major blows to capitalism in 1917 when the Tzar was overthrown
- Confirmation of "common people" as basis of society and not blue blood aristocracy. Nazis and Communists did this too just like democracies.
- Perfection of industrial production (partially related to USA/USSR being set up as number 1 powers - both had massive industrial capacity compared to Europe even if Soviet one was geared towards military)
- Final blows to Europe as centre of the world - WWI started it in a major way. WWII finished it.
- Socially the whole concept of the lost generation with anywhere up to 10% of the male population dead and many more crippled and scarred (in some cases entire villages lost the bulk of their younger males).

I can see a lot of this affecting art, even if on a subconcious level.

I do like those images. They evoke a feeling of unstoppable modernity and progress. Unfortunately today you'd just get stock photos of the ship which are not really evocative. A case of the idea being far more appealing than the reality - which is good marketing!

It's funny how you digress . I was explaining the reasons why art drastically changed after '14-'18, so as to illustrate why the ornament as a concept was abolished. Those facts are undeniable, and indeed WWII confirmed what WWI had already started and firmly implanted in the global conscience. And I won't get into the topic, but there was a second revolution in art after '39-'45 of course. And that list contains key justifications of that second revolution.

What I showed you are two posters by Cassandre, famous French graphic designer of the late '20s to '30s. Indeed they're beautiful, but they illustrate what we are talking about.
Stock photos are the death of creativity. We were trained extensively in photography so as to be able to take studio pictures as well as landscapes; to express ourselves with that medium without recurring to stock pics.

I think we covered it. Haha. Didn't we?
deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.07.2014 at 03:57
Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 03:38

It's funny how you digress . I was explaining the reasons why art drastically changed after '14-'18, so as to illustrate why the ornament as a concept was abolished. Those facts are undeniable, and indeed WWII confirmed what WWI had already started and firmly implanted in the global conscience. And I won't get into the topic, but there was a second revolution in art after '39-'45 of course. And that list contains key justifications of that second revolution.

Just trying to tie it in with my own perspective!

Quote:
What I showed you are two posters by Cassandre, famous French graphic designer of the late '20s to '30s. Indeed they're beautiful, but they illustrate what we are talking about.

Totally understand.

In some ways they are similar to political posters of the day (especially Soviet ones) - the unstoppable march of industrialisation, progress and communism all with that pointed, sharp, stripped down and powerful imagery.

Quote:

I think we covered it. Haha. Didn't we?

Yup! Now we can go back to waiting for Troy's drunken escapades!
Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 04:10
Written by deadone on 17.07.2014 at 03:57

In some ways they are similar to political posters of the day (especially Soviet ones) - the unstoppable march of industrialisation, progress and communism all with that pointed, sharp and powerful imagery.

Yup! Now we can go back to waiting for Troy's drunken escapades!

Yeah you are thinking about Russian constructivism in graphic design. If you like those, look Lissitzky and Rodtchenko up.

Is it seriously what my life is coming to? Waiting for Troy's drunken adventures?
deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.07.2014 at 04:16
Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 04:10

Yeah you are thinking about Russian constructivism in graphic design. If you like those, look Lissitzky and Rodtchenko up.

I'll look into them.

Quote:
Is it seriously what my life is coming to? Waiting for Troy's drunken adventures?

Yup!

Is Troy maybe an unknowing star of a reality TV show ala Jim Carey's The Truman Show.
Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 04:24
Written by deadone on 17.07.2014 at 04:16

Yup!
Is Troy maybe an unknowing star of a reality TV show ala Jim Carey's The Truman Show.

At least he'd have someone to complain to about the quality of his life. I don't. Take it to the chairman of the network Troy.
Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 06:50
Written by Lit. on 16.07.2014 at 21:02

There. I did it.
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

17.07.2014 at 09:44
Waiting for Troy's drunken adventures?

Don't worry, I didn't get up to anything crazy. I stayed in and watched some episodes of Weeds with my roommate, texted the girl I'm trying to win back who's technically dating her ex even though she like loves me or something, and wrote the premise for the first chapter of my novel.

Then I had some weird dreams about, of course, people from Metal Storm.

It was primarily centered around the time I volunteered at a barbecue for kids at an elementary school, only with a slightly more sinister tone. There was an apparently corrupt on-campus security team that focused on targeting Apothecary for trespassing because he's black. So me, Rod, and Matty all had to figure out a way to free him from the portable he was being detained in without any of us being caught. But it was one of those dreams where the "bad guy" was like way overpowered and basically unbeatable. He'd catch us every time no matter how creative we got (even when we made a human trebuchet using Joe and a bunch of ravers strung out on meth [apparently my subconscious assumes everyone who dyes their hair vibrant colors drops E and listens to EDM] to launch Rod about 100 yards over the school). Somehow he managed to catch us all and drag us off the school yard using only one hand, even though one of the random people that was helping us had to weigh over 300 pounds and we were all baffled by it.

At the end of my dream the security guard (kind of like an Agent Smith in Matrix Reloaded) took off his mask and they were actually all versions of Arnold Schwarzenegger from all of his different movies. I woke up before we were ever able to retrieve Che, so still not sure how that ends. Maybe tonight the dream will conclude.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
M C Vice
Ex-polydactyl

17.07.2014 at 12:13
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.07.2014 at 09:44

Waiting for Troy's drunken adventures?

Don't worry, I didn't get up to anything crazy. I stayed in and watched some episodes of Weeds with my roommate, texted the girl I'm trying to win back who's technically dating her ex even though she like loves me or something, and wrote the premise for the first chapter of my novel.

It was primarily centered around the time I volunteered at a barbecue for kids at an elementary school, only with a slightly more sinister tone. There was an apparently corrupt on-campus security team that focused on targeting Apothecary for trespassing because he's black. So me, Rod, and Matty all had to figure out a way to free him from the portable he was being detained in without any of us being caught. But it was one of those dreams where the "bad guy" was like way overpowered and basically unbeatable. He'd catch us every time no matter how creative we got (even when we made a human trebuchet using Joe and a bunch of ravers strung out on meth [apparently my subconscious assumes everyone who dyes their hair vibrant colors drops E and listens to EDM] to launch Rod about 100 yards over the school). Somehow he managed to catch us all and drag us off the school yard using only one hand, even though one of the random people that was helping us had to weigh over 300 pounds and we were all baffled by it.

At the end of my dream the security guard (kind of like an Agent Smith in Matrix Reloaded) took off his mask and they were actually all versions of Arnold Schwarzenegger from all of his different movies. I woke up before we were ever able to retrieve Che, so still not sure how that ends. Maybe tonight the dream will conclude.

You should make a cartoon about that.
----
GO THE SHARKS!

"I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "How does he know what I'm thinking?" Well I know everything, and so does your internet service provider."
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

17.07.2014 at 12:49

That should be your novel's plot.
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

17.07.2014 at 14:03
Omg that was fucking perfect!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 15:42

[Dream]

Some part of me wishes horrible things happened to you just for the fun I'd have reading about them. I'll keep a gag on that voice. But still, if I wanted to hear a story that made no sense, I'd go down the stairs and ask the local homeless junkie why he's always walking with a tyre around his neck. You're lucky it was funny and included MSers. I myself dreamed of Joe a couple nights ago, and the only thing I remember from it is him telling me something about some girl's rack while constantly burping right in my face. I suppose my subconscious made the same kind of shortcut, from diy vests to disgusting human being.
So, if this is supposed to be the high point of my day until I get a life, please be kind and make it worth the wait.
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

17.07.2014 at 17:27
Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 15:42

I myself dreamed of Joe a couple nights ago, and the only thing I remember from it is him telling me something about some girl's rack while constantly burping right in my face.

You sure we haven't met at a festival?

The only MSer I recall dreaming about it Johan, for some reason or another.
----
Bad English
nobody

17.07.2014 at 17:58
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.07.2014 at 17:27

Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 15:42

I myself dreamed of Joe a couple nights ago, and the only thing I remember from it is him telling me something about some girl's rack while constantly burping right in my face.

no way you will meet up whit that lad, he lives in the cave
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

17.07.2014 at 18:00
Written by Bad English on 17.07.2014 at 17:58

If you mean Johan I think he probably lives in a kennel / dog sanctuary
----
Bad English
nobody

17.07.2014 at 18:08
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.07.2014 at 18:00

Written by Bad English on 17.07.2014 at 17:58

If you mean Johan I think he probably lives in a kennel / dog sanctuary

he lives under famous church and in Sundays works as altar boy .... its deep dark underworld there what he likes
----

Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 18:41
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.07.2014 at 17:27

Now I want to meet you. The attacks to your image and personality don't seem to bother you, I love that about you.

I dreamed of K7 as you recall. I used to dream about other MSers I knew better than you lot though.
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

17.07.2014 at 18:41
Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 18:41

Now I want to meet you. The attacks to your image and personality don't seem to bother you, I love that about you.

Especially when they hold a reasonable amount of truth =P
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

17.07.2014 at 18:47
I don't recall any dreams with people from MS. The weird thing is that I dreamed I was browsing the forums. Now that's just sad.
----
Rod, let me love you.
Bad English
nobody

17.07.2014 at 18:57
I have dreamt about Ernotar once and about that Hungarian girl cant remember name but it was like 2007 ... never have dream about other ms users
----

Mattybu
#Kony2012

17.07.2014 at 19:01
Well Troy, I am honored to have been a part of your dream.

I once had a dream where I was fighting vampires in my back yard with a plastic lightsaber.
Alex Fenger
Sitting Fanatic

17.07.2014 at 19:01
Written by Mr. Doctor on 17.07.2014 at 18:47

I don't recall any dreams with people from MS. The weird thing is that I dreamed I was browsing the forums. Now that's just sad.

I had a dream that I was checking pending edits and just declining all of them for some reason.... I have a very exciting life clearly
----
Free Palestine!
Bad English
nobody

17.07.2014 at 19:05
Written by Mattybu on 17.07.2014 at 19:01

Well Troy, I am honored to have been a part of your dream.

I once had a dream where I was fighting vampires in my back yard with a plastic lightsaber.

man Troy is Avs fan
----

Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 19:16
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.07.2014 at 18:41

Especially when they hold a reasonable amount of truth =P

I suppose that's because your online persona is not too different from the real one.
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

17.07.2014 at 19:22
Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 19:16

I suppose that's because your online persona is not too different from the real one.

Probably. I imagine I'm less dickish in real life though.
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

17.07.2014 at 19:27
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.07.2014 at 19:22

Most people are way less dickish in real life.
----
Rod, let me love you.
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

17.07.2014 at 19:28
Written by Mr. Doctor on 17.07.2014 at 19:27

Most people are way less dickish in real life.

True. Except Marcel I reckon
----
Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 19:28
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.07.2014 at 19:22

How adorable. You're really shaping up to be my online gay best friend.
Bad English
nobody

17.07.2014 at 19:29
I had a dream once where I was a SAS 23 Regiment D Squadron solder .... I hade a M-60 modern one whit a scope
----

Ilham
attention whore*

17.07.2014 at 19:30
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.07.2014 at 19:28

True. Except Marcel I reckon

Actually he is very nice IRL. A lot nicer than here.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34

Login or register to post here.