Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Entire New Album Streaming Online

Heritage, the new album from Swedish prog metallers Opeth, is now streaming in its entirety at NPR.

Heritage is set for a September 20th release via Roadrunner records. More information about the album was previous reported over here and here.

Source: npr.org
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 12.09.2011 by BudDa

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 48   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 363 users
12.09.2011 - 20:19
Opethian
Written by opeth771 on 12.09.2011 at 19:42

Written by Scuzzy McDouche on 12.09.2011 at 17:57

Have you all gone deaf or something? This album is brilliant, and although I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, in MY opinion if you think this album is weak, you are out of your fucking mind. Granted, it took me a few listens as well, but now I can't stop. It is all I have listened to for a week now.

Anyway, I think their next album will be back to their prog-death sound. They have not quit being a metal band, they just like to experiment with different styles. Ghost Reveries came right after they did Damnation, and it is one of their hardest and darkest albums to date.

Opeth rules the fucking Earth, I don't care what anybody says.

Couldn't have said it better!

I personally thought the new Leaves Eyes was everything but a 'Metal' album, but from what i am reading a lot of people have the same thing to say about Heritage? September 20th for the official US release
12.09.2011 - 21:44
I wish people would realize that just because Heritage is from Opeth doesn't mean you have to worship it.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
12.09.2011 - 21:56
Evil Chip
So vintage, so ironic, oh yeah!
12.09.2011 - 22:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

Sorry, don't like overly subjective people. I understand that we "aren't machines", but I appreciate some level of rational objectivity in others when discussing music or other forms of art.

Define "overly subjective" because if you call people "overly subjective for giving this album a 7, then you're just wrong.
Without comparing it to their discography since it's a completely different style) and just looking at the music from what it is... I'll still give it something around 7,5. It's good, that's it for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2011 - 22:57
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2011 at 22:51

Sorry, don't like overly subjective people. I understand that we "aren't machines", but I appreciate some level of rational objectivity in others when discussing music or other forms of art.

Define "overly subjective" because if you call people "overly subjective for giving this album a 7, then you're just wrong.
Without comparing it to their discography since it's a completely different style) and just looking at the music from what it is... I'll still give it something around 7,5. It's good, that's it for me.

Thanks
12.09.2011 - 22:58
JD
Account deleted

Agreed.

Plus:

"Mikael warned us after all".
12.09.2011 - 23:08
Carrion Misery
Tl;dr: Cd is pretty sweet. Imo it's refreshingly progressive and doesn't let it's arms open completely to accessibility. Throw out any expectations or others' interpretations, and just listen to the album.

I really dug Heritage right away. Which surprised me. I probably say this every time Opeth comes up, but Damnation was their last CD I liked chronologically. I do want to revisit Ghost Reveries and Watershed now. I've tried in the past to enjoy those albums, but they failed each time. I even found myself scoffing anytime someone brought up Opeth in a conversation.

Admittedly, Heritage seems rather directionless. That usually would bother me, but I think the progressive musicianship, instrumentation synergy and production clarity are very well done, and makes up for the wandering song structures. Perhaps I need to view the cd at different perspective to figure out what I view as "directionless". It's rather enjoyable to follow the musical contouring grooves between everything, especially the drums and bass. I can't help to put the album on repeat.

I wholeheartedly disagree with anyone who says this album isn't metal. It's soft and subtle, but it is absolutely still metal, and captures the progressive genre perfectly. How can anyone say this doesn't sound like Opeth? I don't care what Hitler said, it's very reminiscent of Damnation just not as gloomy, and little more jazzy/ prog rock. Sure there is some "experimentation" going on, but if the sound didn't change, we'd still have people complaining anyways (probably me). From what others see as only experimentation, I just see as growing. I'm sure they'll bring back the growls and faster tempos.

I stopped giving a shit about Opeth for a while, and this CD has somewhat rekindled my interested again. That's a good thing.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
13.09.2011 - 08:47
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Not even gonna listen til I get my signed copy from the concert. But did anyone else find it funny that NPR is streaming ANOTHER metal album. Funny stuff.
13.09.2011 - 11:23
malaikat

Well, he said (paraphrase) "This isn't an average album, but I give it 7 because I'm dissapointed because of the long wait". Look, I have no problem if someone gives album a 1 or 2, that's ok if you really have the reasons to rate the album that way, but this is overly subjective, being that he puts his own ill feelings because of the "wait" in front of objective worth of an album.

Again, I have no problem with low ratings (again, if you have reasons beside downrating to do that), but with afforementioned subjectivity. In general, not just here on MS.
13.09.2011 - 11:33
atrox
Maybe it's now emotionally safer to start waiting for new Bloodbath album
13.09.2011 - 17:00
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 13.09.2011 at 11:23

Well, he said (paraphrase) "This isn't an average album, but I give it 7 because I'm dissapointed because of the long wait". Look, I have no problem if someone gives album a 1 or 2, that's ok if you really have the reasons to rate the album that way, but this is overly subjective, being that he puts his own ill feelings because of the "wait" in front of objective worth of an album.

Again, I have no problem with low ratings (again, if you have reasons beside downrating to do that), but with afforementioned subjectivity. In general, not just here on MS.

Exuse me, I meant I was disappointed with the direction this band has taken on the last two albums. The wait itself had nothing to do with it, really.
13.09.2011 - 19:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcus on 13.09.2011 at 08:47

Not even gonna listen til I get my signed copy from the concert. But did anyone else find it funny that NPR is streaming ANOTHER metal album. Funny stuff.

well, it's not really a metal album... but it is hilarious to see this stuff (and Krallice) streaming on that site/station. i guess it's an attempt to draw in the young audience to listen to their programming... hoping metal fans are empty vessels waiting to be told how to think, i suppose.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.09.2011 - 20:14
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by BitterCOld on 13.09.2011 at 19:49

Written by Marcus on 13.09.2011 at 08:47

well, it's not really a metal album... but it is hilarious to see this stuff (and Krallice) streaming on that site/station. i guess it's an attempt to draw in the young audience to listen to their programming... hoping metal fans are empty vessels waiting to be told how to think, i suppose.

True but it is still from a metal band. Don't forget that they streamed some new WITTR as well. Whether they're really trying to or not, kudos to them for being a somewhat major media station/site and actually showcasing some metal. Not many other places would do that, although you may be totally right and it could just be to lure in young metal heads. But if that were the case I feel like they would play Bodom or Suicide Silence or whatever the kids are listening to these days
14.09.2011 - 07:32
Sr Tumnus
Good step for Opeth!!! like it!!!

we are the servants!!
----
Damn is good!
14.09.2011 - 10:00
malaikat
Written by Guest on 13.09.2011 at 17:00

Written by malaikat on 13.09.2011 at 11:23

Exuse me, I meant I was disappointed with the direction this band has taken on the last two albums. The wait itself had nothing to do with it, really.

Oh, sorry then, I tottaly missunderstud I thought you were just agravated because of the, well, wait between two albums. My bad
15.09.2011 - 15:01
Panterica
Let me get it straight, the album isn't out yet? Cause I just saw today a copy of it in a store, and as far as I know, having the album in Israel before Europe and America is quite absord!
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
18.09.2011 - 17:08
SauradipGhosh
I think it's a totally outstanding album. Not entire flawless, But even then BWP wasn't. Mikael himself had aditted it.
18.09.2011 - 17:09
SauradipGhosh
I feel the dark, Folklore, Haxprocess, The lines in my hand are brilliant

Hits total: 5231 | This month: 17