03. Legions
04. The Day After
05. One Body Too Many
06. Brotherhood
07. Full Chamber Roulette
08. Pack Of Wolves
09. Tomorrow Is Not A Promise
10. Dead On The Dance Floor

Winds Of Plague... with a band name like that, you simply know that the band plays one of the more hated -core genres, be it deathcore, metalcore or wifebeatercore. While labeling an entire genre bad or stupid is, well, pretty stupid in itself, listening to A Cold Day in Hell makes me completely understand to all those who disregard the genre. With bands like these, hate gonna surge.

But let's return to the actual album. The first thing we notice, other than the completely pointless intro which fits into this album even less than I fit into a gay bar, is that these guys sure like their breakdowns. They really, really like their breakdowns. No, no, no, you don't get it. They really fucking like their breakdowns. So much in fact, that I usually can't tell if it's a new track that started, or did they just switch from one breakdown to another. It may not be so bad if the breakdowns were at least on some marginal level connected to the rest of the track, and didn't sound like a completely separate entity. The word "random" comes to mind, but even that fails to convey the absolute chaos and disharmony which is present throughout the majority of the album. "A big fucking mess" is perhaps a better phrase. Guitars bashing in some barely recognizable riff, with faux-melodic leads on the top and absolutely terrible vocals drowning it all... Yeah, that alone may not be so bad. But wait! Just when you got used to it, there comes Mr. Big Bad Mosh Pit Breakdown that has absolutely nothing to do with the section before it. Some synths here and there manage to save the situation just a bit, as they contain a fraction of continual flow that the guitars completely lack. You know the best thing about it all? Unless you've been listening to it for days, you'll probably think it's all just one big breakdown messy, inconsistent and rather pointless track.

Come to think of it, I can somewhat picture the targeted audience. The album should come with a printed sales-pitch containing something along the lines of: "Do you often get bullied in your school? Are you a punching bag/target practice for those mean jocks? Then play this record and fantasize about ripping their heads off! That will show those nasty pricks! Disclaimer: don't actually try to go toe-to-toe against them; they're probably going to bash your face in. The album is intended to make you feel better. The band members are not responsible for any injuries caused because of their music".

Yeah, either that or "BASH YOUR FUCKING CHEST AND FORGET THE MILLIONS OF YEARS IT TOOK YOU TO EVOLVE! But keep in mind you still have feelings." If that's your thing, go for it, it will be a killer listen.

Review too long, didn't read? I'll summarize it for ya: the album is a shit sandwich.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written by Slayer666 | 17.09.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 59 users
17.09.2011 - 22:42
Rating: 7
peniku8
This album is really crap, but the newer album (Decimate The Weak) is a kind of re-release of that, better production un better harmony an so on. I really like the newer album, especially 'Anthemps Of The Apocalypse'.
Listen to this album instead of the Cold Day In Hell album.
18.09.2011 - 00:06
Void Eater
Account deleted
Kind of a pointless review. Yeah, this album and band is crap, but don't we already know this? I do find it interesting that this album was released before JFAC's Doom, which is generally considered to be what launched deathcore into mainstream popularity, meaning that it's possible that this band isn't just latching onto trends. They still suck though; and I'd bet that the target audience is actually for highschool bullies who want to feel like even bigger badasses while beating up the nerdy kid; the nerdy kid would listen to Rhapsody to feel better.
18.09.2011 - 14:18
Rating: 4
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 18.09.2011 at 00:06

the nerdy kid would listen to Rhapsody to feel better.

You sound quite experienced in this. I wonder...

Hits total: 3210 | This month: 15