Metal Storm logo
Metallica & Lou Reed - Thirty-Second Song Sample Online

A thirty-second song sample of the song "The View", created by the musical collaboration between Lou Reed and Metallica is now available online and you can watch it below. The song is taken from the upcoming album Lulu, available worldwide on October 31st via Universal Music and in North America on November 1st via Warner Bros. Records. The full song will hit online music retailers (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) on September 27th.

The album was produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman, and mixed by Greg Fidelman.

Lulu tracklist:

01. Brandenburg Gate
02. The View
03. Pumping Blood
04. Mistress Dread
05. Iced Honey
06. Cheat On Me
07. Frustration
08. Little Dog
09. Dragon
10. Junior Dad

[Also thanks to Angel_Lament for sending in this news!]

Source: loureedmetallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 19.09.2011 by Account deleted

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 74   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 356 users
19.09.2011 - 16:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Unhealer on 19.09.2011 at 16:10
It is clear to me that many people WANT to hate this album no matter what they hear.

As someone who likes the Load albums (in fact, I LOVE Load!) and likes some of St. Anger, I can hardly be accused of wanting to hate the album purely because it is Metallica. And yes, it can be foolish to judge a whole album based on one 30 second sample, but so far, thats all I have to go on, and I didnt like what I heard...

And for people saying they'd rather Lars died instead of Cliff, for one, Cliff was the most musically open minded member of the band when he was alive. So something like this might have happened much sooner had he lived. And 2, I think he'd be disgusted at people saying they wish Lars died instead of him.
19.09.2011 - 16:47
JD
Account deleted
I like Load, and Reload, I even like some songs on St.Anger, but man that sample sucked shit.
19.09.2011 - 16:55
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by malaikat on 19.09.2011 at 16:33

Written by Unhealer on 19.09.2011 at 16:10

Lol, everyone is complaining about this sample.

It is an Amazon 30 second sample, it is well know it always gets the worst part of the song and out of context (I suppose it is randomly chosen)

In fact I really liked the rather complex time signature during Lou's speech (I really hope nobody actually thinks he is singing because he is not).

It is clear to me that many people WANT to hate this album no matter what they hear.

Well, it IS a sample the published. It's nonsense to defend it based on the fact that it's just a sample - it sucks and that's it.
People don't want to hate this album, they've just heard this 30 seconds and rationally concluded it's a piece of crap.

It is clearly to me that many people WANT to defend this album no matter what they hear

PS - complex time signatures? That's just generic riffing + bad and boring drumming + as you said, speech, which gives an illusion of some non-existent complexity.
In the same way, I could just record myself reading the lyrics to Master of Puppets while playing the actual song on winamp, and then call it "a complex" because my speech rythmicaly doesn't follow the song (which is perfectly normal).

Well, I see almost nobody is defending the album all I see is pure bashing mostly.
And what I try to say is that you cannot bash the song (or the whole project) based on a 30 second sample, and that is a valid reason to defend it.

It'd also be stupid to say it is the greatest project ever based on the sample, which I didn't.
I just pointed out what I liked about it, and I don't know why you guessed that I said it because of the complex riffing, drums or the speech... I was just speaking of the time signature.
19.09.2011 - 17:05
malaikat
Written by Unhealer on 19.09.2011 at 16:55

Well, I see almost nobody is defending the album all I see is pure bashing mostly.
And what I try to say is that you cannot bash the song (or the whole project) based on a 30 second sample, and that is a valid reason to defend it.

It'd also be stupid to say it is the greatest project ever based on the sample, which I didn't.
I just pointed out what I liked about it, and I don't know why you guessed that I said it because of the complex riffing, drums or the speech... I was just speaking of the time signature.

Nobody is attacking the album, nobody is attacking the song. When people say "this is shit", they mean, obviously, the sample. You're thinking way too much into this. People hear crappy sample, peopla bash crappy sample - that's how the world works.

And it's ok if you enjoy this time signature, but to me it really isn't all that special. I just said that sample was in no way complex, in riffing or time signature, at least to my ears - and, objectively, something isn't neccesarily "good" just because it has unusual time signature imho. But again, if you like it, ok.
19.09.2011 - 17:21
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by malaikat on 19.09.2011 at 17:05

Nobody is attacking the album, nobody is attacking the song. When people say "this is shit", they mean, obviously, the sample. You're thinking way too much into this. People hear crappy sample, peopla bash crappy sample - that's how the world works.

And it's ok if you enjoy this time signature, but to me it really isn't all that special. I just said that sample was in no way complex, in riffing or time signature, at least to my ears - and, objectively, something isn't neccesarily "good" just because it has unusual time signature imho. But again, if you like it, ok.

Well, that is what I got from all the comments I've read. None of us can know the exact reason why people say it is shit, but go ahead and tell me that comments like "I can buy one less album now" are just criticizing the sample There are probably lots of trolls over there so we can't argue on that anyway...

And of course the complex time signature is a very personal taste (complexity doesn't always mean it's good to my ears anyway), I'm sure you have your reasons to hate it as I have mine to lift my hopes on this thing.

BTW, I agree the sample is shit, that is why I said I believe that those kind of sections (like speeches) taken out of context have a great chance of sounding awful.
I wish they took another sample!
19.09.2011 - 17:26
malaikat
@ Unhealer

Well, some people are just being funny. @fabregassed is a funny guy, how do you know he's being 100% serious

Anyway, everything concerning this album sucks for now. Cover art sucks, song names are unoriginal, and some of the song are rediculously long: If I remember correctly, two are 10+ minutes long, and the last one is 19 (!) minutes long.
I mean, it's not fair to judge the album we're yet to hear, but Metallica and Lou Reed aren't exactly helping us appreciate it with this kind of crap.
19.09.2011 - 17:37
Thrash666
Fuckin Lars.....
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
19.09.2011 - 17:52
Lit.
Account deleted
Well, we'll always have Megadeth. I bet Dave's laughing his ass off hearing this.
19.09.2011 - 18:03
Slayer666
Watch out all you neigh sayers!
Lulz Lulu is going to blow your shitty Master of Puppets with rocks away!
Finally, a worthy successor to St.Anger in terms of quality. "Lars and Lou Corporation", you've gained a faithful fan this day.
19.09.2011 - 18:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.09.2011 at 16:43

And for people saying they'd rather Lars died instead of Cliff, for one, Cliff was the most musically open minded member of the band when he was alive. So something like this might have happened much sooner had he lived. And 2, I think he'd be disgusted at people saying they wish Lars died instead of him.

1- I don't even listen to Metallica tbh, rare ocassions only... The dude could play some seriously good bass though.
2- I'm dealing ok with myself being disgusting
3- I preffer Sunn O))) anyway.
4- Your first point can't be that valid as we will never know.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.09.2011 - 18:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.09.2011 at 18:22
1- I don't even listen to Metallica tbh, rare ocassions only... The dude could play some seriously good bass though.
2- I'm dealing ok with myself being disgusting
3- I preffer Sunn O))) anyway.
4- Your first point can't be that valid as we will never know.

1. You won't hear any disagreement from me there. hehe
2. Oh please... lol
3. I can't comment, I've never heard them!
4. He was the most musically open minded member of the band in the early days, that is a fact. He liked other music aside from metal. So while I can't be certain, I think it's fairly safe to assume he wouldn't have been against Metallica doing drastically different things music wise. xD
19.09.2011 - 18:37
Swamphell
WTF was that!!!!!!
19.09.2011 - 18:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.09.2011 at 18:36

4. He was the most musically open minded member of the band in the early days, that is a fact. He liked other music aside from metal. So while I can't be certain, I think it's fairly safe to assume he wouldn't have been against Metallica doing drastically different things music wise. xD

Liking other genres of music besides metal is not a free pass for doing shit though. A drastic change ain't the same as doing this wrong.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.09.2011 - 18:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.09.2011 at 18:50
Liking other genres of music besides metal is not a free pass for doing shit though. A drastic change ain't the same as doing this wrong.

I guess that's true... hence why I said even though I love "Load", I'll have no qualms in hammering this album if that sample is an indicator of rest of the material on the album. But I will listen to the full thing first before doing that. hehe
19.09.2011 - 18:55
soadbyob
Account deleted
Honestly, what did we expect. Metallica to be thrash again? heh, yeah right...
19.09.2011 - 19:02
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
It didn't sound THAT bad. Sheesh.
19.09.2011 - 19:02
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Lol. The only thing I'm surprised about is how many surprised reactions this sample caused...
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
19.09.2011 - 19:13
Winterthrone
Ok, the sample is total crap, pure and simple crap. Why they chose that particular sample? Maybe the rest is even more stupid sounding...
19.09.2011 - 20:47
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Winterthrone on 19.09.2011 at 19:13

Ok, the sample is total crap, pure and simple crap. Why they chose that particular sample? Maybe the rest is even more stupid sounding...

It was amazon, not them... and you should know they always pick the worst samples (probably it's random).
19.09.2011 - 22:04
Fredd
Account deleted
I wont judge the album based on this, for I have already decided that lulu licks balls.

Seriously, what's the point of releasing these 30 seconds of mediocrity?
19.09.2011 - 22:15
Lit.
Account deleted
Figure I might as well post this since all these comments on here made me think of it:

19.09.2011 - 22:29
John Shock
Written by Guest on 19.09.2011 at 22:15

Figure I might as well post this since all these comments on here made me think of it:

Like Dave Mustaine says: "What The Fuck Is This?" and now Krusty, The Clown says: "What The Hell Was That?"..........fuck...i'd listen to crap.........hey i love simpsons!
19.09.2011 - 22:47
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
I believe if it was atleast in the vein of Death magnetic..... it wud be OK !!! :
19.09.2011 - 23:09
malaikat
Written by Guest on 19.09.2011 at 22:04

I wont judge the album based on this, for I have already decided that lulu licks balls.

Mediocrity? That's generous
19.09.2011 - 23:12
Kingface
Yeah, that sample is pretty pointless.
19.09.2011 - 23:50
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
After Dream Theater, another band on the way to oblivion pisses everyone off by releasing a 30 second snippet. Seriously, what the fuck is their point with these shreds of songs? Fuck them, I'm not buying this shit.
20.09.2011 - 00:52
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 19.09.2011 at 23:09

Written by Guest on 19.09.2011 at 22:04

Mediocrity? That's generous

After 2 relistens, yes, mediocrity is a praise for this. This is random banging on instruments.
20.09.2011 - 00:55
Mattybu
Sounds like ass. Expectations have gone from low to the lowest possible....
20.09.2011 - 01:28
Void Eater
Account deleted
20.09.2011 - 01:42
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Sounds like its gonna suck
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.

Hits total: 5122 | This month: 14