02. 17th Street
03. The Grain
04. Staring (The 31st Floor)
05. The Day The City Died
06. Romance Valley
07. Summer Tears
08. Grey Wednesday
09. Going Somewhere

Hammers Of Misfortune; yes, more commonly known as "that band that used to have that main dude from Slough Feg in it." This band is incredibly eclectic prog-rock that covers quite a bit of ground; ranging from your typical 70's pompish prog to doom, with a few glimpses of old school Misfits-esque horror punk moments. It's something that is quite astonishing upon first listen. Astonishing then turns to overwhelming. Overwhelming turns to irritating. Sure enough, after a fair amount of plays through, this ain't the same album you listened to the first time around.

That's both the beauty, and ugly part of this album. 17th Street is an incredibly busy album, which is something that can make this either sound quite clever in it's melodic complexity, or horribly tedious. One moment you may listen to it and notice certain details below the surface that really compliment the whole arrangement, other times that same attention to detail makes the whole thing seem to be more of a messy display of over-indulgence. It goes from a genius tapestry to a jumbled up ball of yarn, then back again. Regardless, it's hard to pigeonhole, I'll at least give them that much.

The production is very fitting. It is very modern sounding, but there is definitely an earthy/organic type undertone that really fits the whole classic aesthetic they've got going on. To wrap things up in a nice little package; it sounds like a late 70's prog album modernized for all us young whipper-snappers.

Fans of old-school prog will probably see 17th street as more of a glass half-full type album, half-empty for people just looking for some steady melodic hard-rock.

Written on 05.11.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 131 users
05.11.2011 - 10:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I like this band, but can't seem to get connected better to their albums.
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.11.2011 - 18:21
eponymous
I like "old-school prog", but I wouldn't consider myself a fan. I do, however, consider myself a fan of Hammers of Misfortune. And while this album isn't as great as its predecessor, it's stilly pretty damn good. I rated it (in a list of this year's releases I've heard) 7.5, and that's as high as any album this year.
10.11.2011 - 15:30
manos
I don't know, the reviewer gave me the impression that he hasn't listened to Hammers Of Misfortune's previous albums. And it's a pitty because he misses the whole concept which in a few words can be described: "Hammers Of Misfortune" have released some of the best METAL albums of the previous decade. 17th street is just the new album of a GREAT band and whereas it doesn't reach their peaks, it doesn't disappoint at all. On the contrary...
10.11.2011 - 21:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by manos on 10.11.2011 at 15:30
I don't know, the reviewer gave me the impression that he hasn't listened to Hammers Of Misfortune's previous albums.

Maybe he hasn't. You expect a reviewer to familiarize himself with every band's back catalog before he reviews something? If I'm writing about Deep Purple's latest I'm not going to listen to all 20 albums just so I know stylistically or conceptually what is different about this new album compared to the others.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.11.2011 - 08:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 21:03

Written by manos on 10.11.2011 at 15:30
I don't know, the reviewer gave me the impression that he hasn't listened to Hammers Of Misfortune's previous albums.

Maybe he hasn't. You expect a reviewer to familiarize himself with every band's back catalog before he reviews something? If I'm writing about Deep Purple's latest I'm not going to listen to all 20 albums just so I know stylistically or conceptually what is different about this new album compared to the others.

Besides, I don't review out of relativity. I don't give a shit if they once created the best album to ever exist (which, in my opinion they haven't even come close), it doesn't really affect my feelings toward this album.

Take Motorhead for example - my favourite band of all time. I know their discography inside and out. However, I completely trashed their newest one. Whereas with Stratovarius who I was utterly bored up until this year, I found their newest pretty nifty. It just goes to show how I really don't take previous achievements into account whilst critiquing an album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.11.2011 - 08:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 29.11.2011 at 08:29
I don't give a shit if they once created the best album to ever exist...

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you saying Metallica isn't the greatest band of all time? Because I feel like you're implying Metallica isn't the greatest band of all time.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.11.2011 - 08:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.11.2011 at 08:32

Written by Doc G. on 29.11.2011 at 08:29
I don't give a shit if they once created the best album to ever exist...

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you saying Metallica isn't the greatest band of all time? Because I feel like you're implying Metallica isn't the greatest band of all time.

Fuck dude, keep it down. Trying to expose me or some shit?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.11.2011 - 08:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 29.11.2011 at 08:35
Fuck dude, keep it down. Trying to expose me or some shit?

I'm sorry! D: I'll run away like a ninja and hopefully nobody will notice a thing.
----

Hits total: 5319 | This month: 17