06. Believe
07. Falling
08. We Do Not Care
09. The Last Time
10. Closing In
11. New Beginning [Limited edition bonus]
12. Hear You Call My Name [Limited edition bonus]
13. Bimbo [Lambretta cover] [Limited edition bonus]

The first time I listened to this album I thought it was a joke, that I was being trolled by Century Media. That the copy I downloaded picked up at the record store was somehow defective. Then I picked up another copy and experienced the same problem. Uploaded Youtube tracks confirmed what a legally purchased album could not.

This shit is supposed to be taken seriously. The problem is, I take this about as seriously as watching a one-legged drunk hobo trying to masturbate in a dark alley while I suck back a bag of Skittles.

You're waiting for the part where I tell you why it's so bad. Fine. Once you sift through the serious shit that is out-of-place piano sections; incredibly amateurish clean vocals and godawful choir-like chants; monotonous, soulless screams; and extraordinary keyboard abuse, surprise surprise: You begin to question what it is about fecal matter that you find inescapably erotic. Then you wonder how you managed to pull off listening to Circle Regenerated in its entirety even once.

Just like extreme power metal poster boys Children Of Bodom, these Finns focus primarily on the simplest of song structures. The sad thing is, they don't even do that well. Every song manages to sound sloppy in one way or another: too few ideas are presented and then those are run into the ground in a directionless suicidal free-fall. Or is free-falling a directly downward direction...? Sorry, I was almost philosophizing in a Norther review. Won't happen again.

The most difficult thing to explain about this album is what it's supposed to be or do. I mean, apparently the musicians feel they have at least a shred of dignity and take themselves seriously enough to release new material like this, so you've gotta assume it's not a parody. The overall light-hearted nature (that would be its overwhelming cheese factor) eliminates any potential aggression, while the lackadaisical riffs don't even give you any chance to headbang. For all intents and purposes... there aren't any. It just seems like a release for the sake of a release.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written on 18.11.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 82   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 710 users
19.11.2011 - 12:00
D.a.n
Really, Troy, you should start reviewing something that can be considered at least half decent... All the crap you had to listen to over the last couple of weeks would have left a mark on anyone. Or have you ascended to the next stage of musical perversity and picked all of these on purpose? In that case, hats off and I'm looking forward to your next ra(n)tings!
19.11.2011 - 14:06
Sworn
Good review, and yeah, it is the worst Norther album. I can't believe they took so long to release an album so bad like that.
19.11.2011 - 14:40
Rating: 2
enumaelis
Unbearable album, 2/10 for me
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
19.11.2011 - 14:41
BudDa
Elite
What happened to this band?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
19.11.2011 - 16:38
Justicelust
I am %100 with the review. what a bad album!
19.11.2011 - 17:10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.11.2011 - 17:50
Slayer666
Woah, woah, woah. So many comments here and still not one raging Norther fanboy telling us how shitty and non-objective this review is?

This... is not the Metal Storm I registered on.
19.11.2011 - 17:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 19.11.2011 at 17:50

Woah, woah, woah. So many comments here and still not one raging Norther fanboy telling us how shitty and non-objective this review is?

This... is not the Metal Storm I registered on.

We decided that it would be trip-day now and everyone was going to be too high to care. That fanboy and you obviously forgot the date.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.11.2011 - 18:02
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.11.2011 at 17:59

We decided that it would be trip-day now and everyone was going to be too high to care. That fanboy and you obviously forgot the date.

No one ever tells me anything....

19.11.2011 - 18:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 19.11.2011 at 18:02
No one ever tells me anything....

Ah c'mon faggot, stop it
*gives him a couple fo joints*

...Now dude... don't listen to this album, Norther is bad, hmmmmkay?
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.11.2011 - 18:47
Rating: 2
Uldreth
I wonder why the vocals are so bad, Aleksi sounded good in Imperanon :s
19.11.2011 - 19:03
Rating: 4
Giza
Hmm... Now all the fans that were upset with Petri's departure will say "TOLD U SO, BRO!"
19.11.2011 - 19:13
RavenKing
I listened to several songs , skipping parts and all, just to have a general idea.
I can say that vocals are awful. I mean, really unlistenable.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.11.2011 - 20:32
Windrider
Raureif
I know its kinda bad, but cmon its no 3, clean vox suck at always but the new harsh ones are at least average and the rest is little worse than before...
19.11.2011 - 21:07
D.a.n
Written by BudDa on 19.11.2011 at 14:41

What happened to this band?

You mean apart from their sacking the lead singer and one of the main songwriters?

BTW: Just saw a 9/10 review of the album... There really is no accounting for tastes (or lack thereof).
19.11.2011 - 21:11
tuerda
Dont know much about the band, but had to youtube some songs upon seeing the review. It is always a bad sign when you have a metal album and the best parts of the songs are the synthy intros (although, to be fair, they are pretty awesome): The riffs are bland and the solos are simply terrible. The production doesn't help, making everything extremely flat. To top it all off there are these harsh hardcore-ish terrible vocals that subside occasionally only to give in to even worse off-key cheese-o-riffic clean vocals. All in all, I think the review is quite fair. I do wish it had done a better job of explaining the reasons why it sucks though, instead of just bashing it.
19.11.2011 - 21:48
RavenKing
Written by tuerda on 19.11.2011 at 21:11

To top it all off there are these harsh hardcore-ish terrible vocals that subside occasionally only to give in to even worse off-key cheese-o-riffic clean vocals.

That summarizes my feelings towards vocals pretty well.
This album reminds me of when Catamenia came up with "VIII The Time Unchained" in the sense that all vocals are awful.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.11.2011 - 22:52
Kamil
Account deleted
Well...
Ep "No Way Back" from 2007 is the only one part of their stuff, which I really like.
20.11.2011 - 01:18
Favellacon
I agree the album is pretty horrible, but this review is obviously biased. If you don't like the band or genre, don't review the fuckin album...
20.11.2011 - 02:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by D.a.n on 19.11.2011 at 12:00
Or have you ascended to the next stage of musical perversity and picked all of these on purpose? In that case, hats off and I'm looking forward to your next ra(n)tings!

I have, and there will be more!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.11.2011 - 02:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Favellacon on 20.11.2011 at 01:18
I agree the album is pretty horrible, but this review is obviously biased. If you don't like the band or genre, don't review the fuckin album...

I hope you know Norther was one of the first metal bands I listened to, I still like their earlier material, and I don't altogether hate all forms of power metal.

"If you don't like what you read, don't comment in the fuckin thread". Did I do that right?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.11.2011 - 04:20
nanogasm
I don't hear anything remotely akin to Norther's style there. Painful to listen to. I only sampled a few songs and it's enough for me to never turn back.

Orpheus sounds more like what Norther might put out today if Petri was still around.
20.11.2011 - 04:52
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Troy, you mean... you mean the title of the first song is the quest they give you? Or rather, the challenge they put you up to?
20.11.2011 - 04:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 20.11.2011 at 04:52
Troy, you mean... you mean the title of the first song is the quest they give you? Or rather, the challenge they put you up to?

Exactly. It was an indirect challenge to get through the entire album. And then it was on repeat so I had to do it again.

It was like the song that never ends. D:
----
20.11.2011 - 04:59
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 04:55

Exactly. It was an indirect challenge to get through the entire album. And then it was on repeat so I had to do it again.

It was like the song that never ends. D:

The Neverending Songy? I see the stuff

As far as I'm concerned, 2 minutes (to midnight) of the first song has been more than enough. Gonna cure myself with some Oranssi Pazuzu.
20.11.2011 - 08:12
bluegreengod
Account deleted
What a sad little man.
20.11.2011 - 08:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 20.11.2011 at 08:12
What a sad little man.

----
20.11.2011 - 10:25
I actually expected this album to be this horrible. This is what happens when you kick out the one who started this project and made the name Norther mean something. Creation is a something you're born with, not something you can learn and Ranta still hasn't understood that. I think Norther will only get back on track with Petri Lindroos is back. Norther means Petri Lindroos.
20.11.2011 - 11:19
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.11.2011 at 18:04

Ah c'mon faggot, stop it
*gives him a couple fo joints*

...Now dude... don't listen to this album, Norther is bad, hmmmmkay?

HA! The joke's on you, buddy. The ganja you gave me made this incredibly shitty album sound awesome.
20.11.2011 - 14:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 20.11.2011 at 11:19
The ganja you gave me made this incredibly shitty album sound awesome.

How can the joke be on me if we now know that you enjoyed this piece of shit?
You just lost kvlt-points dude.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 11921 | This month: 32