Metal Storm logo
Velvet Cacoon and Clair Cassis

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 11:21
One of the most enigmatic bands to come out of the US, ney, the world in recent years. Shrouded in self perpetuated rumours and lies they only recently came out about the facts behind the band.

They used to play a form of ambient black metal but have drastically changed their style toward a kind of fuzzy shoegaze/dreampop (which I also really enjoy) with releases such as 'Dizzy From Eternity' and 'How the Last Day Came, and Stayed, then Faded Into Simulated Rain'. Their finest ambient BM releases include 'Genevieve' and 'Chapelflames (Red Steeples)' (which is the first 6 tracks of the 'Northsuite' compilation).

Anyhoo, one of my absolute fave bands of all time. Feel free to discuss the music, rumours and fibs and apparent ideology etc.[/color]
17.08.2006 - 12:54
Highlander
Account deleted
I got this message on MySpace today, haha!

Do not support this shit band, stupid fuckers STOLE music from:
My Violent Ego and Miranda Lehman.

___________THE DISHONEST BAND is Velvet Cacoon______
http://www.myspace.com/northsuite
http://www.myspace.com/velvetcacoon
17.08.2006 - 15:55
ScottishWarrior
Account deleted
Josh's message taken from their google e-group:
"And on the subject of Velvet Cacoon, the band is a total fraud. Nothing about it holds any importance. The "How the Last Day" demo isn't even us. It's Miranda Lehman from Portland. (check the Wiki site). "Dizzy" isn't us. It's "My Violent Ego". Nothing is us. "Northsuite" was recorded in 3 hours and sold to a fake label who paid us enough for rent and substances. That's why its so terrible. We're utter bastards. We have no respect for anything. Now we're beginning the campaign to show just what we've done. We are walking examples of what far too many drugs will do. They make you crave havoc. They make you want to turn the world upside down while laughing like a maniac.

And now the soft afterglow sets in. VC is winding down. One last album. One final collection. And the damn thing isn't even recorded yet. Maybe we'll just steal it too. I must tell you that our correspondence will not continue much longer. I'm going to make a clean break - you'll know when the moment hits. You'll know exactly what I mean too.

First, I must convince the world that I am nothing special or intelligent, nor was Velvet Cacoon. If there was discussion about us before, I can only imagine what is about to come.

Feel free to spread this letter."
17.08.2006 - 16:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ah well. Whoever music it was, I like it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.08.2006 - 18:27
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
rofl. i suppose the fact that their name means vagina shows how serious they are.

fuck it. i still like those recordings. i think ill try and buy the real artists work.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
17.08.2006 - 19:35
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Quote:
Yeah, you just have to be kinda loopy to find this humorous. People are losing their minds over this. We just don't care about anything. Nothing matters, we let go a long time ago and now the commotion is just entertaining. Obviously this was the last straw. I mean yeah, we've offended everyone, we have people who completely hate our guts and want us dead and all that fun stuff. We claimed to use a gasoline powered guitar, faked live shows, claimed to be in the earth liberation front, claimed to be french (that one is unforgivable), claimed our drummer died (though we use a drum machine?), and people are really surprised at anything we do anymore? vc is just two people who like making weird black metal that sounds good after you've done whatever drug you fancy. all the other stuff, the thievery, the drama, that was for the oooh's and ahhh's. judging by the shitstorm this is causing, mission accomplished.

GOSSIPS!!!
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
17.08.2006 - 22:30
ScottishWarrior
Account deleted
hahaha! great stuff.

"vc is just two people who like making weird black metal that sounds good after you've done whatever drug you fancy."

That's good enough for me to buy the new album!
18.08.2006 - 11:29
Hermanubis
Account deleted
Interesting.... very interesting.
18.08.2006 - 12:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Hahahaha, a very good lesson in how to generate interest in yourself, come up with stuff and then say you're a liar etc. etc.
Velvet Cacoon are brilliant in marketing themselves.
I wonder how many people believe those so-called apologies etc. There is nothing fraudulent about their music at all. It wouldn't surprise that the bands they ripped off are bands run by themselves.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2006 - 18:35
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
according to the owner of full moon productions, this is all to get people talking about them.
----

Read Watchmen.
19.08.2006 - 10:32
Hermanubis
Account deleted
"It wouldn't surprise that the bands they ripped off are bands run by themselves. "

I think that is the case.
19.08.2006 - 23:03
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
if anyone knows any other bands like kourova or my violent ego i'd be interested in hearing them. i do actually like both of those demos a lot.
----

Read Watchmen.
19.08.2006 - 23:16
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Quote:
I'd venture to say that in terms of what a band can do to create chaos, the antics we've pulled rank high up there. Everyone is uneasy now; the sources we thieved, the label we work with, our fans - the entire situation has everyone on edge.

So lets cut the mustard, through the custard to the ripe truth. Many question why it is we do what we do. Why make music that people enjoy only to tarnish our reputation by lying about things? There has to be a reason. Right?

Well.........

No. There is no reason. No rhyme, no reason. There is no point to any of it. If you're looking for a plot line, a climax, a theme, a reason, you won't find it. We are random and without cause. Up is down, left is right. Drugs are good and drugs are bad, and the only thing we stand for is this: everything is pointless. You don't matter, this doesn't matter. Stop thinking. For once, just stop. Just enjoy the moment. It's better this way.

We're random people who think the world and life/humans are amazing. We're laughing in our amazement of everything, and in very brief moments (and I'm talking MICROSCOPIC whisps of time) when we stop laughing for a moment and sober up, we create music that is symbolic of life in its entirety. Absurd, pointless, and mesmerizing.

That's what "Genevieve" is. It's what "PaoPP.33" is. Perhaps the only two records in the world made where everything from the outside world is voided out.

Are we crazy? Bi-polar? MPD? Does it even matter? The entire world is crazy. "Normal" is an illusion. The only thought that is really constant in my mind is that I love absolutely everything about life. Relax, we know everything now. It's over.

I'm going to sleep. Interesting correspondence goes here -> josh@velvetcacoon.com

interesting if it is actually him but anyone can pretend to be anyone else on the internet so don't take this too literally. i just thought this was interesting
----

Read Watchmen.
19.08.2006 - 23:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, I found it a pretty good speech I must say.

And yes, they are superb marketingpeople as I already want to hear Genevieve badly now. I might buy it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.08.2006 - 11:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Mmmm, coincidence? Korouva (whom they suposedly ripped off) and Velvet Cacoon are both from Portland, Oregon. if VC had really ripped this so-called band off it would have come to light years ago.

Brilliant marketing by VC once again. Liek someone said "this was thought up to get people talking"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2006 - 17:13
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Man, it's this kind of thing that makes me love this band so much =] <3

The best thing is that VC's black metal/ambient days are NOT over! with P aa opal Poere Pr. 33 we can (hopefully) expect more of the Northsuite/Genevieve quality music =]

It's most humorous seeing all the bitchy comments toward VC going around on their Myspace page. Someone even messaged me telling me to boycott them but a lot of people seem to think it's actually Josh himself doing it =]

As for the actual accusations it's clearly just VC doing what they do best (or second best).

I am happy =]
21.08.2006 - 17:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.08.2006 at 17:13

Man, it's this kind of thing that makes me love this band so much =] <3

The best thing is that VC's black metal/ambient days are NOT over! with P aa opal Poere Pr. 33 we can (hopefully) expect more of the Northsuite/Genevieve quality music =]

It's most humorous seeing all the bitchy comments toward VC going around on their Myspace page. Someone even messaged me telling me to boycott them but a lot of people seem to think it's actually Josh himself doing it =]

As for the actual accusations it's clearly just VC doing what they do best (or second best).

I am happy =]

I also love those antics of theirs, as long as the music they produce is still great let them keep on continuing this stuff.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2006 - 20:12
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
@Vlevet (O)

The next album will be in the vein of genevieve apparently but slower.

i don't know about kourova but my violent ego is almost defenitly not a project made by josh. they're italian and existed before velvet cacoon. theres a vague possibility that it may be the same guy involved (seeing as nothing about velvet cacoon can be assumed to be true) but its unlikely.

id be interested in hearing the opinions of korouva and my violent ego member son this. on the one hand, he took their music and tried to pass it off as his own. on the other hand, he has drawn a lot of attention to them which they might be happy about as it means their music will be heard by a whole new audience (however, they may not like this as im sure many BM bands wouldn't be happy if some "pop" band used their music to make themselves look cool).

also, what has he actually done thats so terrible? he did admit that he tried to pass their music off as his own in the end and his reason for doing that was to draw attention to his own work rather than take credit for someone elses work. and its not like he made any profit from it. all he did was change the titles and share it on P2P
----

Read Watchmen.
06.06.2007 - 15:21
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
2LP versions of Genevieve and Northsuite are out now. Velvet covered sleves with Foil logos (if you care)

Some Discussion. Full thread here (you need to sign up to read it though): http://www.fmp666.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8486

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauta View Post
You wouldn't change your opinion about a band who release good sounding material after finding out they represent something completely opposite to your ideas? I remember buying the infamous Horde album years ago. Needless to say I got rid of it as soon as I realized what they were about.

Building a band around mysticism / anonymity is a double-edged sword.

As stated since the start, our music "represents" nothing more than a glimpse into the alternate realities of drug use. Record sales, approval and acceptance have never meant anything to us. We exist because of our music. Most bands need a convincing background story, a marketable image and a prepackaged ideology to prop up their lifeless songs, a pseudo-crusade that will convince the ADHD afflicted youth of the new wave they are a part of, so it was only natural we would mock that. Obviously it worked. As long as we continue to put out quality music, we can do whatever we want and remain relevant because moreso than Satanism, national romanticism, paganism, or whatever -ism every other band wants to bind themselves to in order to present themselves in a nice cookie-cutter package that the low IQ of your average black metaller can wrap itself around, we are the only band at this point who will freely & openly dismiss this antiquated notion of "black metal is more than music". If you have other agendas on your plate aside from music, then seeking out good music probably isn't much of a priority for you. If you're unhappy with the current situation of your reality, I suggest getting into politics because nowhere in the history of mankind has buying limited vinyls from the internet ever spawned a religious or societal revolution, and anyone who says otherwise is truly the fraudulent one.

The promise that around every corner lurks that one great black band that will change everything is always there, dangled in front of every black metal fans' nose like a carrot in front of a donkey, and every band wants you to think it is them. Well it is not us, and if that admission of logic and reality escapes you then live and let learn. Your revolution isn't going to be spoonfed to you in mp3 format, and if those who acknowledge that are deemed a hoax then your only choice is to continue living in a fantasy world where men in tights and plastic swords are preparing to overthrow every government and eradicate Christianity forever while listening to the latest Deathspell Omega album. Black metal has (or had) the potential to be a glorious art movement for disenchanted men who found disgust in modernization. Instead, it was hijacked by lowbrow fools and led astray into a pit of fanatical retardation, which will no doubt be confirmed by a plethora of replies to this post calling me a "fag" or a "kike".

In the company of folks like these, we take a certain pride in being called a hoax, because pretending to be a fool is always better than actually being one.
----

Read Watchmen.
06.06.2007 - 17:18
Southern Wind
Account deleted
There's also a 2LP version of Dextronaut, I don't know if it was previously released or came along with the re-releases of Northsuite and Genevieve... I downloaded it a few weeks ago but deleted it by mistake, and can't get it again because it was upped in a fucking yousendit file that expired.
06.06.2007 - 17:44
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
There's a 2CD reissue of Dextronaut, but not 2LP.
----

Read Watchmen.
01.09.2008 - 12:29
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
(Add: Supposedly to the end of every sentence).

New track from VC's new ambient album 'Atropine' which will be released instead of the other one who's name I can't be arsed to try and type. Paa Op Olga Gurlukovich or whatever which won't be released as it became too bloated or something.

Funeral Noir
http://www.velvetcacoon.com/music/fn.mp3

Containing website with some info:
http://www.velvetcacoon.com/music/

It's ok. It's pretty much average ambient in the vein of the Bete Noir and Northsuite tracks. Frankly I prefered the demo of the song from Paa... entitled "2" but who knows what we're really going to get. Check out the Full Moon Productions forum for loads of questionable stuff.
01.09.2008 - 17:19
Damnated
Churchburner
fans of Velvet Cacoon should definitely check out the new Wrath of the Weak, Alogon. good stuff, reminiscent of Genevieve.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.09.2008 - 17:26
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 01.09.2008 at 17:19

fans of Velvet Cacoon should definitely check out the new Wrath of the Weak, Alogon. good stuff, reminiscent of Genevieve.

Honestly I really don't think Wrath of the Week sound like VC (which was precisely why I checked them out in the first place). WotW's sound is far more dense and noise orientated and far harder a listen. Don't get me wrong they are bloody awesome but the whispery, swampy feel of VC is pretty far gone from the high frequency onslaught of WotW. Even WotW themselves said they didn't take neary as much influence from VC as people seem to think.
01.09.2008 - 17:48
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 01.09.2008 at 17:26

Written by Damnated on 01.09.2008 at 17:19

Honestly I really don't think Wrath of the Week sound like VC (which was precisely why I checked them out in the first place). WotW's sound is far more dense and noise orientated and far harder a listen. Don't get me wrong they are bloody awesome but the whispery, swampy feel of VC is pretty far gone from the high frequency onslaught of WotW. Even WotW themselves said they didn't take neary as much influence from VC as people seem to think.

true that wotw come from a different background than velvet cacoon, but the atmosphere is the same for me, even if it's a bit thicker. sometimes even the vocals are the same.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.09.2008 - 18:01
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Fair enough, I'd even admit WotW s/t release does have some semblance to Genevieve's atmosphere but not so much Alogon, personally speaking.
10.09.2008 - 02:50
Damnated
Churchburner
so i randomly stumbled upon P Aa Opal Poere Pr. 33 today, on some blog. this may be another fake, but i don't really care, this is really cool. the album used to be on metal archives, now it's not there..
----

10.09.2008 - 15:09
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 10.09.2008 at 02:50

so i randomly stumbled upon P Aa Opal Poere Pr. 33 today, on some blog. this may be another fake, but i don't really care, this is really cool. the album used to be on metal archives, now it's not there..

I'm pretty sure it is a fake, there's no mention of it on the FMP forums or Last.fm but there is a supposedly unfinished version out there so who knows. It's not on MA anymore because VC are no longer releasing it.
18.09.2008 - 11:02
Toolshed
Hey, not all of their music is fake. They stole only some shoegaze music, black metal music is really their. Uh, I like song titled 1.

Whole lyrics of that songs are:

"one four one"

...what the drugs can do
19.09.2008 - 00:28
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Toolshed on 18.09.2008 at 11:02

Hey, not all of their music is fake. They stole only some shoegaze music, black metal music is really their. Uh, I like song titled 1.

"one four one"

...what the drugs can do

Yeah but a lot of people fake VC music. Not just VC faking their own music.
11.10.2008 - 07:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 00:28

Written by Toolshed on 18.09.2008 at 11:02

"one four one"

...what the drugs can do

Yeah but a lot of people fake VC music. Not just VC faking their own music.

LMAO for the longest time, I thought your s/n was meant to be Velvet Revolver, but now I realize it's probably Velvet Cacooon huh.

Anyways I bought Northsuite today and if I like it I'll buy their other two albums at the same place.