01. Star Is Your Name
02. Metropolis Metro
03. Distant Tanker
04. Melodies For The Rainy Periods
05. The Answer Is Nо
06. Immortal Man And The Statue
07. 3 Tickets To The Masquerade
08. Empty

If you, for some reason, wanted to read about this band before checking out the review, you'd be completely confused, since they don't appear to have an official website, Metal Archives doesn't note their existence, their Facebook page is almost entirely in Finnish and MySpace is pretty void of updates. So you will just have to trust me for all the information you need - a reviewer's dream! A "buahaha" would be in order now, but since I'm a professional, I won't do that. Except I totally just did.

In case you plan on checking out Gentlemen, Please, keep in mind that the music you're about to indulge yourself in is written and performed by two people - Niko has control of the rhythm section and Aleksi is responsible for everything else. 2 Wolves claim to be an industrial symphonic metal band, so I thought listening to this will inevitably be a chore, as (attempted) orchestral stuff makes me yawn and industrial music leaves me cold and indifferent. But this wasn't an unpleasant listen at all, since those genre labels are more like guidelines.

The "industrial" tag in their music is "justified" by an occasional electronic buzz, simple sharp riffs, choice of words fitting for futuristic poetry (if you hear a band mentioning the word "oxygen" in their lyrics, you can bet your ass it's either industrial or doom) and the vocal approach - harsh vocals that utter lines pointedly, with a certain cold feel to them. As for the symphonic touch, it consists of prominent keyboards delivering intros that have an almost ambient vibe to them. They have a pretty tender sound which is quite softening but adds a lot of substance to the album, even as simplistic and one-dimensional as their use is. Some would say the use of keyboards here is a bit wussy, but it's not 1984 and keys in metal ain't a big deal anymore, or so I hope.

The music possesses that trademark cold Finnish touch so it reminded me almost instantly of Throes Of Dawn. The balance among different musical elements is the same in both bands, only the realization and content are different. Throes Of Dawn are obviously more experienced and have better production, but these two lads have done something really enjoyable for a first try, so you should watch out for them in the future.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 20.12.2011 by A part of the team since December 2011. 7.0 means the album is good.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 181 users
20.12.2011 - 23:29
Edmund Fogg
Nice review, got me curious. Since you seem to have the only knowledge of this band, do you know where I could get a peak at the actual sound?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
20.12.2011 - 23:30
Rating: 6
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 20.12.2011 at 23:29

Nice review, got me curious. Since you seem to have the only knowledge of this band, do you know where I could get a peak at the actual sound?

I have no idea. Think Myspace hosts at least some of the tracks. They sent me a physical CD to review, so I'll email them and come back with my finds
----
7.0 means the album is good
21.12.2011 - 01:20
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Throes of dawn huh? Guess I should give some time to these guys...
----
loves 小巫
21.12.2011 - 01:21
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 21.12.2011 at 01:20

Throes of dawn huh? Guess I should give some time to these guys...

Not very similar sound, but similar approach, so yeah, it might be up the alley of Throes of Dawn fans.

Silly me, I'm paraphrasing my own review.
----
21.12.2011 - 01:24
Slayer666
Gentlemen, please?

Nice review, though.
21.12.2011 - 01:25
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 21.12.2011 at 01:24

Gentlemen, please?

Nice review, though.

I think their album name is awesome, to tell ya the truth. Thanks dude.
----
21.12.2011 - 01:28
Slayer666
Written by Milena on 21.12.2011 at 01:25

I think their album name is awesome, to tell ya the truth. Thanks dude.

It probably means/refers to something, but I'm too much of a lazy fuck to care.
Still, at least it IS more original than the tried and true formula of mucking up together words like "Darkness", "Night", "Sorrow", "Pain" etc. in some random order.
21.12.2011 - 01:30
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 21.12.2011 at 01:28

It probably means/refers to something, but I'm too much of a lazy fuck to care.
Still, at least it IS more original than the tried and true formula of mucking up together words like "Darkness", "Night", "Sorrow", "Pain" etc. in some random order.

Yeah, those make me go all "bitches, Byron wants his groove back".
----
21.12.2011 - 01:33
Slayer666
Written by Milena on 21.12.2011 at 01:30

Yeah, those make me go all "bitches, Byron wants his groove back".

Too bad he didn't put a Copyright on his shit, could have been sticking rich.
And we'd see less cliche titles, lyrics and such.
21.12.2011 - 01:36
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 21.12.2011 at 01:33

Too bad he didn't put a Copyright on his shit, could have been sticking rich.
And we'd see less cliche titles, lyrics and such.

He wasn't even the one who started it... just the first dude that crossed my mind who had built a career on that shizzle
----
21.12.2011 - 01:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The name is probably a reference to the musicians, and the album title is probably a reference to the audience.

"3 Tickets to the Masquerade" could be interpreted as a ticket for each of the band members and one for their fans to attend some kind of ball or symphony or something.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.12.2011 - 01:47
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 01:45

The name is probably a reference to the musicians, and the album title is probably a reference to the audience.

Actually, the name of the singer/guitarist/keyboardist means "wolf" in Finnish, thought of mentioning it in the review but gave up.
----
21.12.2011 - 01:52
rathor
Availeble on itunes and cmdistro and recordshopx
21.12.2011 - 01:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Milena on 21.12.2011 at 01:47
Actually, the name of the singer/guitarist/keyboardist means "wolf" in Finnish, thought of mentioning it in the review but gave up.

Oh well, it was fun talking about of my ass for a while.

Why do they make it so hard to find them? I think I've had it easier searching for bands like Enodre.

EDIT: just read the post above; iTunes is probably the easiest way to find this
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.12.2011 - 05:47
Edmund Fogg
Just listened to a couple of tracks and for now it ain't my cup of tea. Bah, at least I tried.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
21.12.2011 - 09:46
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Well there you guys have it
----