Metal Storm logo
Metallica - St Anger

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 22.10.2006 - 01:56
This is not an anti-Metallica poll. Their last album disappointed me big time; I'm new on this forum so I'd like to know what you think of this album.

Poll

What do you think of Metallica's St Anger album.

They should'venever released such an alb
disapponting album
It's not bad but not good either
it's just average
Great album
it's below average

Total votes: 151
31.10.2006 - 00:19
SeaSun
Account deleted
After reading everywhere (and hoping against all hope) that they'd gone back to their old ways, I bought it blindly. Big mistake! The snares start irritating after 5 minutes into the album, and they never let up. I should've known the 80ies wouldn't come back. Makes you wonder what would've happened if Cliff Burton had still been around. Maybe he would have been able to keep James and Lars with both feet on the ground. Metal gods no more
31.10.2006 - 01:18
Fear Of God
Account deleted
You're not the first one whos asks himself what would have happend if Burton (R.I.P. 4-String God) would still been alive..But I think it would not have changed anything. He would have left the band by himself IMO, because Lars and James are turned into what they are today. But maybe good old Burton whould have released some ass-kicking thrash metal albums with a new band, who knows...
31.10.2006 - 01:24
ecceratus
Account deleted
It really sucks! Where are the Hammet solos?
02.11.2006 - 04:06
Gothya
they didnt want solos in the last album, it's right that hammett wanted but maybe lars and james :D conviced him not to do it; i heard, 'bout the new album, hammett is playing solos again, dont sound bad so hopefully they could release a great album, cause i'm one of those 'few' people who like st anger and i'm not ashamed of it, there are good riffs and good songs into the album, i actually think the album is good enough, oooh yeah

this is the last supposed new demo, so check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyCA1D226I8

sounds better, right?
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
06.11.2006 - 06:08
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Gothya on 02.11.2006 at 04:06

sounds better, right?

It does sound better. Deffinitely better than ST. Anger.

Alright. I find SA to be the worst Metallica release. However, it's not a bad album. I find it pretty enjoyable, specially playing good ol' Doom II. It's not bad but it's not good.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
08.11.2006 - 15:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
it's definetely not the worst album in history,but it's crap
the "shoot me again, i ain't dead yet" part is probably james hetfield's worst moment in all his musical carreer! aside from that the only bearable song for me is frantic, and the video version for the title track-the full is simply unbearable. i remember downloading it and waiting for the "saaaaaaint annnnger onnn myy neeeckkk heee nevveeeer geeets reeesppeeeeeeect.." wusssy singing to end and the chorus to begin(the chorus actually is kind of good)
and if i'd resume the album in a phrase it would be this: "the art of playing riff after riff after riff, an annoying verse, the chorus, repeat for about 8 minutes"
for meta$$ica
14.11.2006 - 22:24
Gothya
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 06.11.2006 at 06:08

Written by Gothya on 02.11.2006 at 04:06

sounds better, right?

It does sound better. Deffinitely better than ST. Anger.

Alright. I find SA to be the worst Metallica release. However, it's not a bad album. I find it pretty enjoyable, specially playing good ol' Doom II. It's not bad but it's not good.

yeah, i guess is a lot better; and 'bout the album, we all have differents opinion, despite most of people dislike SA, i do like so just question of tastes...
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
22.03.2007 - 14:33
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Worst Metallica album, no good music as well as vocals, and sounds very repulsive.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
17.04.2007 - 13:02
Oracle
Orcinus
this album is just fucking shit. what happened to them? anyone can hit a garbage can and call it drumming lol. what happened to the solos? there is none.
17.04.2007 - 16:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Gothya: Hah...it was taken off of youtube because of legal rights...I was really looking forward to that too
17.04.2007 - 18:35
Sunioj
Haha, this is a good thread to vent out on thats for sure.
17.04.2007 - 18:44
APOHAKC
The Bard
They should never release this shit of cause...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
17.04.2007 - 19:40
MaX
Account deleted
I had great expectations for this album but when it came out I was terribly disappointed with both band and album. I still respect their early work but this is bunch of crap for me right now.. I know that I'll be skeptical about any new stuff they make in future and it's their choice what kind of music they wanna make I'll try to respect it but I won't torture myself listening to shitty music!
18.04.2007 - 00:15
Trifixion
Account deleted
Honestly I think it's just trash. And I'm not saying that to jump on the bandwagon or because I dislike Metallica or anything. I heard bad things about it but honestly it was worse than I thought. The riffs are atrocious, the drumming has an extremely irritating sound to them, and there's no real solos to maybe try to make the horrible riffs look half decent. It was obviously meant to appeal to another crowd.
18.04.2007 - 02:38
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
I don't get you guys, your talking about Metallica as if they were trying to make underground metal fans happy lol. They weren't, this was obviously an attempt to get comerical and make some money, anyways, DOWN WITH ST.ANGER!
18.04.2007 - 19:49
Bitch Boy
It's somewhere "below average" and "disappointing album". The album is not as crappy as lots of people say but it's a very bad album considering it was released by such great band like Metallica. It's even below their 90's albums.
22.04.2007 - 13:48
Agaatho
St. Anger- nothing to listen all songs are poor, despite some guitar rythms are OK. My advice is dont listen to it... and for no reason dont waste your money on this crappy album.
23.04.2007 - 02:07
Darktonny
Account deleted
St. Anger is a fucking bad album, just rubbish. What happened to the solos? Why did Lars use that horrible drums sound? Why didn't Metallica wait some time until they were stable and comfortable with each other and with the new bassist, if the problem was there? Too many questions come to my mind always I hear about St. Anger.
23.04.2007 - 20:26
Milutin
Account deleted
As it says in the vote list: THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER RELEASE SUCH AN ALBUM.
This album is one of the worse metal albums ever and it marked a really bad comeback of Metallica and if their next release is like this, Metallica will lose a lot of fans and attention and nobody will expect much of them anymore. I don't expect much of them for their new album.
23.04.2007 - 20:47
RavenLord
Okay, here's the following things going against the band before they wrote St. Anger;

1. Lars is a really shit drummer. By Load/ReLoad he was just pure garbage.

2. James really couldn't sing well anymore. Passable on (re)Load, but has really lost his edge vocally.

3. Bob Rock had sucked the life out of their music. While Load and ReLoad were passable hard-rock, he had sucked them dry of all talent as a thrash band.

4. Kirk could still pass himself off as a half-decent lead guitarist, and some of the Re(Load) stuff showed that bass-driven (Devil's Dance), semi-melodic hard rock could work from Metallica (Until it Sleeps, Fuel)

So, looking at St. Anger, what do they do?

1. They bring Lars' drums as the FUCKING LOUDEST THING on the album, and have him play biscuit tins!

2. They throw any chance for Hetfield to sing semi-melodically out the window...there's no WAY he could even approach the agression on KEA/RtL, and Hetfield wasn't the greatest vocalist to begin with.

3. They get Bob Rock on bass. Enough said.

4. NO SOLOS, and shite nu-metal riffs.

Simply put, Metallica should have given up at Reload. Either that, or they should have lynched Lar$ and got James back on the booze. A travesty in the truest sense of the word.
----
23.04.2007 - 21:06
Milutin
Account deleted
I don't know how some people can like even Load and Reload? They suck. Only a song or two is good from those two albums. Metallica time is long gone. It lasted to The Black Album and hardly is that it's coming back.
26.04.2007 - 01:17
W-Lash
Metal Master
I used to be big fan of early Metallica so i think it's obvious why i voted for the last option.
26.04.2007 - 02:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Im not a huge Metalica fan, never have been. St Anger & The Black Album were the first albums Id heard from them knowingly, so naturally I was a little disgusted, after deciding metalica sucked my friend showed me there first few albums and its hard to believe its the same band, the early albums were actually....you know, decent. So Im going with the 5th answer.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.04.2007 - 02:53
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by RavenLord on 23.04.2007 at 20:47

Okay, here's the following things going against the band before they wrote St. Anger;

1. Lars is a really shit drummer. By Load/ReLoad he was just pure garbage.

2. James really couldn't sing well anymore. Passable on (re)Load, but has really lost his edge vocally.

3. Bob Rock had sucked the life out of their music. While Load and ReLoad were passable hard-rock, he had sucked them dry of all talent as a thrash band.

4. Kirk could still pass himself off as a half-decent lead guitarist, and some of the Re(Load) stuff showed that bass-driven (Devil's Dance), semi-melodic hard rock could work from Metallica (Until it Sleeps, Fuel)

So, looking at St. Anger, what do they do?

1. They bring Lars' drums as the FUCKING LOUDEST THING on the album, and have him play biscuit tins!

2. They throw any chance for Hetfield to sing semi-melodically out the window...there's no WAY he could even approach the agression on KEA/RtL, and Hetfield wasn't the greatest vocalist to begin with.

3. They get Bob Rock on bass. Enough said.

4. NO SOLOS, and shite nu-metal riffs.

Simply put, Metallica should have given up at Reload. Either that, or they should have lynched Lar$ and got James back on the booze. A travesty in the truest sense of the word.

My thoughts exactly, although my version of what you said would be more cynical and sarcastic and would get me arrested on charges of obscenity in the state of New Hampshire.
27.04.2007 - 14:38
Grey_Dandelion
i think that this album is one of the worst albums ever-after and justice for alll metallica go down more and more-they ve reached the bottom!!!!!!!!!where s the magic of metal music???????just endless boredom!!!
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
29.04.2007 - 14:56
Procardia
Account deleted
A friend of mine gave me that album in my birthday. I put it on my PC and when I was listening.. EW. It was awful. I never thought that Metallica was like that stuff and It was very disappointing. I don't know other Metallica's album but this one was a shit. Still, I voted for 'below the average'.
29.04.2007 - 15:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Author on 29.04.2007 at 14:56

A friend of mine gave me that album in my birthday. I put it on my PC and when I was listening.. EW. It was awful. I never thought that Metallica was like that stuff and It was very disappointing. I don't know other Metallica's album but this one was a shit. Still, I voted for 'below the average'.

Do not let this album scare you away from other Metallica stuff! You just can't call yourself a metalhead if you haven't heard their 3 first albums! Also St. Anger is very different from the other albums.
----
29.04.2007 - 16:14
Infurnace
It's a pretty bad album.. I listened to it a few times, but after those few times, you really get sick of it. I really, really hope their next album will be like "Kill Em' All" or "Ride The Lightning".
29.04.2007 - 18:14
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Disapponting album. Horrid lyrics, boring riffs, the songs just drag, and no solos.
04.06.2007 - 15:19
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I'll never throw out a cd but in this case i was tempted