Metal Storm logo
Catamenia

Original post

Posted by FOOCK Nam, 24.10.2006 - 08:50
I found no topic for Catamenia, a band once I found on radio and got impression. Can u tell me what u think of this band and what good album of them?
07.03.2007 - 08:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
To date I had never heard a decent WASP cover, until I got "Location: COLD", the cover of 'I Wanna Be Somebody' was amazing. CoB's cover of 'Hellion' doesnt even compare.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.03.2007 - 16:15
FOOCK Nam
Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2007 at 08:44

To date I had never heard a decent WASP cover, until I got "Location: COLD", the cover of 'I Wanna Be Somebody' was amazing. CoB's cover of 'Hellion' doesnt even compare.

I hope you could enjoy and found Location:COLD good album. Seeing ur last.fm recently tracks I find The Day When The Sun Faded Away, to me its very good song with a mellow riff. Exactly IMO all tracks are good, even some song like Zero Gravity has the lyric which doesnt captivate me. What is ur feeling about this album?
08.03.2007 - 02:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 07.03.2007 at 16:15

Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2007 at 08:44

I hope you could enjoy and found Location:COLD good album. Seeing ur last.fm recently tracks I find The Day When The Sun Faded Away, to me its very good song with a mellow riff. Exactly IMO all tracks are good, even some song like Zero Gravity has the lyric which doesnt captivate me. What is ur feeling about this album?

I absolutely love this album, but thats not speaking in relativity to other albums because this is the only Catamenia Ive ever heard. Every song has something I love about it. Zero Gravity has a really cool almost thrashy opening riff thats really cool sounding, my favorite songs would either be Coldbound or The day when the sun faded away. but the whole album is incredible, I'll definitly be picking up more Catamenia, I hear Eskhata is a good album.
----
- George Carlin
08.03.2007 - 09:46
FOOCK Nam
I agree, every song has its own goodness. Eskhata I think its good album, I like the lyric of Landscape, though just only checked their samples. IMO all their albums is good but I prefer lately stuff 'cause its more melodious paralleled to the time of the band
09.03.2007 - 01:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 08.03.2007 at 09:46

I agree, every song has its own goodness. Eskhata I think its good album, I like the lyric of Landscape, though just only checked their samples. IMO all their albums is good but I prefer lately stuff 'cause its more melodious paralleled to the time of the band

So what album would you reccomend I get? (I only have Location:COLD)
----
- George Carlin
09.03.2007 - 14:26
FOOCK Nam
Written by Doc G. on 09.03.2007 at 01:25

Oh, like you, I also have ony Location:COLD and just tried to check them by their samples, so to me all albums are good for each itself discretely. I have a chance of listening to Catamenia song The Fallen Angel pt II in the Chaosborn, so intense, and agressive with beautiful melody. I would like to recommend you the Chaosborn album. But Im not sure if one songs can represent for whole album. I hope it can.
05.04.2007 - 02:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
alright, I just submitted a review for Location:COLD, Its was a bit lengthly (537 words) but Im quite proud of it and im hoping it gets through....
----
- George Carlin
05.04.2007 - 18:22
Sunioj
Written by Doc G. on 09.03.2007 at 01:25

Winternight Tragedies - its their best work after Morning Crimson and Halls of Frozen North...all three albums are awesome symphonic/melodic black metal.
05.04.2007 - 18:29
FOOCK Nam
I hope that too, Metalstorm still havent any review for that one of Catamenia
06.04.2007 - 09:43
Robstar
Catamenia dude ! What a great finish band... Love all their shit ...
Their new album wasn't that great ....
My recomendation to you will be..
Eskata and Winter's night procefy...
Yeahhhh!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
16.04.2007 - 07:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
My review for Location:COLD just got posted....for all those interested. Would like to hear some feedback on that review.
----
- George Carlin
17.04.2007 - 13:22
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
OOh I heart Catamenia! Sadly I've no albums from them yet. sigh. It sucks where I'm from.
19.04.2007 - 13:21
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 16.04.2007 at 07:18

My review for Location:COLD just got posted....for all those interested. Would like to hear some feedback on that review.

I have read it and find the same observations on vocals. Nice job
19.04.2007 - 19:24
Sunioj
Written by Doc G. on 16.04.2007 at 07:18

I think your review was pretty good too, well written and you noted the characteristics of the band accurately too.
20.04.2007 - 00:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.04.2007 at 13:22

OOh I heart Catamenia! Sadly I've no albums from them yet. sigh. It sucks where I'm from.

Yeah Canada sucks for CDs, HMV usually lets you order cds in...like from the store.
----
- George Carlin
30.04.2007 - 17:15
Mutley
Catamenia is The band listen 2. The Ancient from "Winter Night Tragedies" is an awsome song and a great album, their new album "Location:Cold" sounds good from what i've heard on their myspace but Ultimately Look Into Them
22.05.2007 - 18:42
Jiri
I heard the vocalist had a throat injury. How did that happen?
23.05.2007 - 10:35
Sunioj
I dont know, probably from touring or smth. But I saw a video of them playing on youtube, and his voice sucked IMO.
23.05.2007 - 17:26
Jiri
I guess that makes sense. It is odd how that happens to certain vocalists. He must have been trying to get to loud or something.
24.05.2007 - 18:12
Sunioj
Well, screaming like that ( black metal screaming ) is damaging to the voice even though some people say that there is a "right way". I dont believe that, I used to be a basso vocalist, and ANYTIME you use your throaght to make a scream you always have danger of damaging your chords.
25.05.2007 - 04:34
Jiri
Yeah, that sucks. I wonder how all these other guys have been doing for so long, and nothing like that ever happens to them? Some of these guys have been doing it for 10-15 years now.
25.05.2007 - 09:39
Sunioj
I dunno, but they replaced the drummer I think after Morning Crimson, but yeah the guys vocals were always something to be admired with Catamenia, even in the latter albums the vocals are still pretty good!
13.11.2007 - 23:13
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Catamenia has recently canceled/postponed their North America tour because of the promoter, now the band is trying to get fans to demand them to play in their town (I guess for the record label to know they have a big(er) fab base), you can cast your vote here!

Also you can vote for Catamenia at Metal from Finland

I already did
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
14.11.2007 - 06:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Bararey
Thats a good idea on there part, they kinda have a cult following so I think this should work out for them. It seems like theyre being kicked around by the record industry lately, its good to see when bands stand up to that.
----
- George Carlin
26.01.2008 - 09:24
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
now tell me: is catamenia anything like kalmah? i heard someone say it somewhere, but i didnt think it was anything similar but i thought id ask...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
26.01.2008 - 09:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 26.01.2008 at 09:24

now tell me: is catamenia anything like kalmah? i heard someone say it somewhere, but i didnt think it was anything similar but i thought id ask...

Well, Im not a huge Kalmah fan (I only own Swampsong) so thats going to be my only reference, but no, nothing alike. Well not entirely, they both use guitars...and keyboards...and harsh vocals (so using that logic you could say Kalmah sounds like Dimmu Borgir). Catamenias sound is much closer to black metal. Every now and then you might hear some resemblance but i wouldn't describe them as sounding alike.
----
- George Carlin
27.01.2008 - 12:52
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Doc G. on 26.01.2008 at 09:54

Well, Im not a huge Kalmah fan (I only own Swampsong) so thats going to be my only reference, but no, nothing alike. Well not entirely, they both use guitars...and keyboards...and harsh vocals (so using that logic you could say Kalmah sounds like Dimmu Borgir). Catamenias sound is much closer to black metal. Every now and then you might hear some resemblance but i wouldn't describe them as sounding alike.

well my fav band is kalmah, and ive just downloaded some catamenia albums, and from what ive heard so far (first 2 albums, and location:COLD) there are times where catamenia do sound a lot like kalmah. i think catamenia definately has a more profound black metal sound, but still quite similar at times... IMO...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
06.02.2008 - 20:44
Obi
Account deleted
i like this band! my favorite is locaton cold and my fav track is gallery of fear, love the really fast melodic riffs
07.02.2008 - 01:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 27.01.2008 at 12:52

Written by Doc G. on 26.01.2008 at 09:54

well my fav band is kalmah, and ive just downloaded some catamenia albums, and from what ive heard so far (first 2 albums, and location:COLD) there are times where catamenia do sound a lot like kalmah. i think catamenia definately has a more profound black metal sound, but still quite similar at times... IMO...

Yeah, I probably didn't notice because Im not really a big keyboards guy. I like a few keyboard heavy bands, but for the most part I don't really pay attention to keyboards.
----
- George Carlin
08.02.2008 - 12:11
FOOCK Nam
The keyboard in the middle part of the song Location: COLD is so awesome, not only itself but also combining with the guitar riff after it. Totally killer