Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Results Are In!

So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff
Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments page 3 / 10

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 273   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1041 users
01.03.2012 - 02:59
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:57

Written by Mattybu on 01.03.2012 at 02:52

Biggest letdown of the year was kind of a surprise. Other than that though most categories seemed like the expectable candidate won. Good to see Fleshgod on there though, that was the only winning vote I cast

if there ever was an album the dm category this year that totally had no right to win it certainly was Fleshgod imo

....To each his own I suppose. I really, really enjoyed that one.

I'd say having fucking Machine Head win for thrash is a worse crime.
01.03.2012 - 03:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
At least that one had some quality to it and wasn't as contrived and plastic as Fleshgod.
Btw I did not vote for MH and I found it lot better than most of the nominees in thrash.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 03:09
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 01:55

Written by Paradox0 on 01.03.2012 at 01:53

.....and once a again a safe album wins avante-garde metal category.

Same for most categories black, death, doom, extreme doom, gothic, thrash, progressive, melodeath, stoner/sludge. Need I go on?

Yes the same as other categories, but I guess I have some romantic notion that the advante-garde category would at least be something way out there. Maybe I'm still in shock from '08/'07.
01.03.2012 - 03:10
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 03:03

At least that one had some quality to it and wasn't as contrived and plastic as Fleshgod.
Btw I did not vote for MH and I found it lot better than most of the nominees in thrash.

I don't see anything contrived or plastic about Fleshgod Apocalypse, I think it was a huge step forward compared to their first album (at least the sympho stuff made sense in the songs). That said, I would rather have seen someone else winning, like our staff pick (no names yet)
And didn't vote for MH either, as it was one of 2011's worst letdowns for me
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2012 - 03:11
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Paradox0 on 01.03.2012 at 03:09

Yes the same as other categories, but I guess I have some romantic notion that the advante-garde category would at least be something way out there. Maybe I'm still in shock from '08/'07.

Well, even if the vote is definitely on the safe side, I'm still mightily proud of the avant-garde nominees this year.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2012 - 03:13
Absak
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2012 at 03:10

I don't see anything contrived or plastic about Fleshgod Apocalypse, I think it was a huge step forward compared to their first album (at least the sympho stuff made sense in the songs).

I want to strangle someone right now.
01.03.2012 - 03:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 03:03

I don't see anything contrived or plastic about Fleshgod Apocalypse, I think it was a huge step forward compared to their first album (at least the sympho stuff made sense in the songs). That said, I would rather have seen someone else winning, like our staff pick (no names yet)
And didn't vote for MH either, as it was one of 2011's worst letdowns for me

there is only one reason you're proud about the DM staff pick. I would rate that album as their second worst. A decent album but nothing more. BUt am glad to catch them live once again this coming Friday (oops did I say to much as to who it is? )

MH being one of the biggest letdwons for you? For me it was a step up after the overly long and immensely boring The Blackening.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 03:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Absak on 01.03.2012 at 03:13

I don't see anything contrived or plastic about Fleshgod Apocalypse, I think it was a huge step forward compared to their first album (at least the sympho stuff made sense in the songs).

I want to strangle someone right now.

I am guessing it is the cheese smelly garlic eating Frog and not the clog wearing windmill?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 03:36
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 01:10

I know loads of people who visit MS regularly and didn't even know there was a forum.

Shhhhhhh! Don't let them in on the secret!
01.03.2012 - 03:43
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:17

Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 02:16

Isn't that supposed to be in the letdown category? lol I'm confused now.

Either way see this surprise as a positive... Maybe I'm terribly wrong.

The death of people are negative surprises for me not letdowns.

Negative surprises do exist, such as finding a big pile of spit in your sandwich or that your dog has turded all over your bedroom.
01.03.2012 - 03:49
Metal_Buff
Ugh, Whitesnake over Graveyard?? 338 people should be shot for this

And I think calling LuLu the biggest letdown implies that you expected it to be something other than awful!
01.03.2012 - 04:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Metal_Buff on 01.03.2012 at 03:49

And I think calling LuLu the biggest letdown implies that you expected it to be something other than awful!

well loads of people immensely enjoyed Death Magnetic so it's not THAT surprising. Even though I stand by my vision that Metallica never released anything good after Master Of Puppets.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 04:09
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Giant Squid lost by a single vote -.-
01.03.2012 - 04:25
Sentinel65
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 04:05

Written by Metal_Buff on 01.03.2012 at 03:49

well loads of people immensely enjoyed Death Magnetic so it's not THAT surprising. Even though I stand by my vision that Metallica never released anything good after Master Of Puppets.

I voted it as letdown not because I thought it would be good and it was bad, but because I thought it would be bad-ok, and it was utter shit.
01.03.2012 - 05:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
God, I insanely love that seal.

Well, regarding the awards I think the real winners are mostly the second/third places.
For example, the thrash award. Machine Head??? Besides the fact that I disagree with them being classified as thrash, I'm pretty sure it was mostly voted for being well known. I'll take Vektor as the winner.

Other sections like Metalgaze with no really big names surprised me with how close the first places are in votes. I guess genres like that one got "fair" winners mostly.

I was thinking that maybe users should have to be registered on metal storm at least three months before the awards before voting or something similar. This would probably reduce the "big name effect" a bit ("Oh, my favorite band is nominated in this random website! I'll register to vote it!").
Yet, the MS Awards get more and more people to register here each year so it would not be a wise move probably.

Bitching aside, I've come across several marvelous records thanks to the MS Awards experience. So thanks to all the MS staff for the hard work!
01.03.2012 - 06:26
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Djent results are so not djent, every true djentlmen will understand my point,,, in post-metal , it was nice to see Russian Circles to show up, but i expected it to take higher place ,, may be it should been nominated in the first place !!
01.03.2012 - 06:58
mferrariv
Amon Amarth better than Omnium Gatherum.... really? Don't get me wrong, I like Amon Amarth a lot but the latest album from Omnium Gatherum is incredible.
01.03.2012 - 07:29
JD
Account deleted
Lol at Machin Head wining over Vektor, Havok, Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, and Toxic Holocaust.
01.03.2012 - 07:31
JD
Account deleted
Written by pazuzuovbabel on 01.03.2012 at 06:26

Djent results are so not djent, every true djentlmen will understand my point

Agreed
01.03.2012 - 08:25
silenius
Whitesnake better than graveyard, uriah heep, and the devil´s blood..... what tha faaak?
01.03.2012 - 08:29
Edmund Fogg
Who the hell voted for Symphony X in the Prog category? Bah I guess just like any awards shows recognition doesn't go to the deeserving bands but at least some voters get to discover new stuff
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
01.03.2012 - 08:31
silenius
Written by Edmund Fogg on 01.03.2012 at 08:29

Who the hell voted for Symphony X in the Prog category? Bah I guess just like any awards shows recognition doesn't go to the deeserving bands but at least some voters get to discover new stuff

well it´s an awesome album, but it didnt deserve to win with a long shot xD.
01.03.2012 - 08:42
Edmund Fogg
Written by silenius on 01.03.2012 at 08:31

well it´s an awesome album, but it didnt deserve to win with a long shot xD.

No it isn't. Not to my ears anyway. It's flat repetitive uninspired and just plain old boring. When you look at the quality of the other nominees you can truly see the imposter, but then again like any other categories. Maybe the awards is kind of MS yearly marketting campaign.
----
01.03.2012 - 08:51
Nunzie 69
I really wish they had an all out "METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR" vote.Most of us here listen to more then one type of metal,and I'm interested on who would win.A lot of bands won just on their popularity and not their album,kinda like the Metal Grammy's here and we Metal Heads are supposed to be better then that!!!
01.03.2012 - 08:59
Edmund Fogg
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 08:51

I really wish they had an all out "METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR" vote.Most of us here listen to more then one type of metal,and I'm interested on who would win.A lot of bands won just on their popularity and not their album,kinda like the Metal Grammy's here and we Metal Heads are supposed to be better then that!!!

I don't think Staff/Elite would ever agree on the Nominees fopr such a category. Metal is a pretty huge universe. And it would go in line with your Metal Grammy thing. I think it's best to avoid that category
----
01.03.2012 - 09:53
Nunzie 69
Sorry you disagree,but I believe a band or artist should be recognized for his/her accomplishment no matter it's genre.Not only that but there are so many bands that cross categories such as Revocation,Sylosis,Devin Townsend,........Don't see how that would go in line with what they do in the Grammys in less it just becomes a popularity contest.By the way I agree Iconoclast was no prog album ,I picked Leprous's" Bilateral".
01.03.2012 - 09:53
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Mattybu on 01.03.2012 at 02:59

I'd say having fucking Machine Head win for thrash is a worse crime.

Oh really. Some of the thrash bands on the list are revivalist copycats who are no more than pale shadows of old, classic bands (Vektor, Warbringer). Some young, but slightly fresher bands like Skeletonwitch or Toxic Holocaust gave us good albums, but they also come short on the originality scale. Other nominees are actually old bands that still manage to release albums that are at least half decent (Megadeth, Onslaught, Destruction). Machine Head, another old band, released a solid album that isn't copying anyone, because it's MH's own, recognizable style. So it doesn't really surprise me that they won.

And, to paraphrase your words, I'd say having fucking Anthrax receive 21 write-in votes is a worse crime.
01.03.2012 - 09:56
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Crap.
Written by M C Vice on 07.02.2012 at 12:30

Now that I'v listened to both albums with the Espenæs sisters competing in the same catagory, I have a declaration:
If Midnattsol don't beat Leaves' Eyes, I'll eat both cds.

Anyone got some bbq sauce?
Good to see that Chthonic won.
Oh, and ICS Vortex in melo black?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2012 - 10:14
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 08:51

On this site? A thrash band would probably win, it seems to be the most popular genre.
Although a poll on the best album ever would be interesting (everyone nominating 10 albums).
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2012 - 10:17
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Results are!?.. and dang fang id was pretty confident that Ulcerate would win.
----
Coldgrits

Hits total: 15197 | This month: 30