Metal Storm logo
The Non-Concert Goer

Original post

Posted by MetalSpider, 08.05.2012 - 04:16
So is there anyone out there who has either never been to a concert before and has no interest in ever attending one? Or someone who hasn't been to a concert in years and has no intention of seeing another one (or will see one once every blue moon)?

And what's your reasoning? Don't be shy people...if you have an overactive bowel movement caused by excessive excitement...it's ok...we won't judge you (much).

I haven't been to a concert in about 4 years. Now I'm talking about a proper concert. I have seen my friend's band perform a few times in the past 2-3 years (I saw them few days ago actually) but they were mainly competitions but that really doesn't count to me. The last band I remember seeing was Symphony X in 2008 I think. I was supposed to see them again last year I think with my sister...Nevermore was going to perform too but then they pulled out of the show and Loomis left. My sister lost interest in going (even though I already bought the tickets) which made me lose interest. I didn't care enough to just go by myself.

Fast forward to 2012 and I'm not really interested in going to a concert ever again. Not saying that I never will but I have no desire to see any of my favourite bands play live even if I know they are coming to my hometown (not that I ever pay attention to when they are coming anymore). Edit: I can't really explain why either. I know part of it is that I just don't like to go alone. Maybe if a lot of my friends liked the same music I did things would be different. But I also don't mind doing things on my own as much anymore (thanks to my job I suppose) but still I just don't have that desire to go to a concert despite how awesome it might be.

So is there anyone else out there like me? No real interest in live shows anymore...or simply never been interested?
13.05.2012 - 01:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie94 on 13.05.2012 at 01:25
:nono:

Well, I'm painfully shy and very nevous even around "ordinary" people... There's no way I could have gone backstage.
13.05.2012 - 02:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.05.2012 at 01:49

Written by Zombie94 on 13.05.2012 at 01:25
:nono:

Well, I'm painfully shy and very nevous even around "ordinary" people... There's no way I could have gone backstage.

Awwwww cute lol (but uh... aren't they ordinary people aswell ?)
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.05.2012 - 02:37
Thrashette
Written by Zombie94 on 13.05.2012 at 00:54

Confidence is something you can easily build on by just trying to do a bit more each time. As long as they aren't totally up their own asses, most band members would be more than receptive to you if you just went up and said something like "hey I really love your music, can't wait for the show tonight" etc. I understand where you're coming from, I used to be petrified of talking to strangers, but if you step outside your shell you'll find that you'll enjoy yourself more. In my opinion anyway

Haha I know, I used to have a legitimate social phobia... It's been getting better over the years, and I know life's definitely way better without it. Hopefully I'll be ready to chat with band members the next time I run into them lol And it would probably have been easier if other people were there to talk to the band with me.

I've noticed that a lot of people who go to metal shows alone (and probably a lot of people in general) are pretty shy or socially awkward... They're usually more than willing to talk, just as long as you approach them first though
13.05.2012 - 06:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guib on 13.05.2012 at 02:05
Awwwww cute lol (but uh... aren't they ordinary people aswell ?)

There was a reason I put "ordinary" in quotes you know. I was simply alluding to the fact that if being around, and talking to people who aren't in bands is daunting and scary for me, then that is just going to be even worse if the people are in bands that I listen to.

The fact I was on my own (I always go to concerts/gigs alone) made the whole prospect of going backstage even more scary. I'm a person who has to be spoken to, before I'll say anything, and that's even if I know the people in question. I was also bewildered at why I'd been handed the pass in the first place, I wasn't expecting it at all. I've been to a few gigs over the years, and that's the one and only time that's happened.
13.05.2012 - 08:38
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I love going to shows, but I only average one, maybe two, per year. That's mostly because the nearest venues that host decent metal bands are at least an hour's drive away, plus I'm really picky now about who I want to see live. I went to a lot more shows when I lived in Atlanta and had a close friend their who was my concert buddy.

I don't see any reason to fear crowds or necessarily avoid concerts if you can go. The people at shows, especially smaller ones inside venues are generally nice plus if you enjoy people watching, as I do, it's a great opportunity to witness people from all walks of life come together to enjoy the same music.
13.05.2012 - 13:10
Zombie94
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 08:38

it's a great opportunity to witness people from all walks of life come together to enjoy the same music.

Agreed. It's always good to see a variety of people at shows. Obviously there's still a healthy amount of stereotypical metal heads with the battle jackets and long hair and army boots, but it's encouraging to see people who look nothing like that at shows as well. Although come to think of it, I think I might get myself a pair of those boots. They look badass and seem like perfect footwear for a moshpit
13.05.2012 - 17:38
Thrashette
Written by Zombie94 on 13.05.2012 at 13:10

Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 08:38

it's a great opportunity to witness people from all walks of life come together to enjoy the same music.

Agreed. It's always good to see a variety of people at shows. Obviously there's still a healthy amount of stereotypical metal heads with the battle jackets and long hair and army boots, but it's encouraging to see people who look nothing like that at shows as well. Although come to think of it, I think I might get myself a pair of those boots. They look badass and seem like perfect footwear for a moshpit

I agree. I find it nice to be surrounded by fellow metalheads after all the time I spend surrounded by people who like pop, rap, dubstep, or whatever. Even on the ride home, I notice the metalheads all tend to sit in the same area on the bus/train even if they don't know eachother and aren't planning to chat.
And a pair of badass heavy duty boots is also on my list of things to invest in... Except it's probably going to be a while before I actually get them since I keep spending my extra money on band merch, albums, concert tickets, or outings with friends lol
17.05.2012 - 10:44
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Any of the reasons here apply?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMos7XjwacY
Know of any concerts that let you dance in your undies?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.05.2012 - 00:29
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I've never attended a concert before mostly because of my location.

This miserable fucking country isn't metal friendly at all! For me to attend a metal show, it's so difficult, I'd have to buy the tickets online, work it into my vacation schedual in advance, and then attend a show like in Florida or something. Being a metal fan in The Bahamas is difficult.

I wanna attend one so badly! Maybe even a festival like Wacken!
14.06.2012 - 07:30
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.05.2012 at 00:29

I've never attended a concert before mostly because of my location.

This miserable fucking country isn't metal friendly at all! For me to attend a metal show, it's so difficult, I'd have to buy the tickets online, work it into my vacation schedual in advance, and then attend a show like in Florida or something. Being a metal fan in The Bahamas is difficult.

I wanna attend one so badly! Maybe even a festival like Wacken!

Me too....here In INDIA concert are rare...
14.06.2012 - 13:03
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 14.06.2012 at 07:30

Me too....here In INDIA concert are rare...

Well it depends on which part of India you live in. I've attended a shit load of concerts over the years and not just international bands but local ones as well.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here