01. Psalm 364
02. My Beautiful Genocide
03. A Baptism in the Warm Piss of Slaughtered Children
04. The Man Who Killed for God
05. March Towards Annihilation
06. Hell on Earth / Blood Runs Red [Discharge cover][medley version]
07. Aborted Stygian Foetus

Highly original EP from a very strange band

I have to admit I was not familiar with the music of The Meads Of Asphodel till I received this great EP through the mail; however, judging by the band's unusual image (they wear medieval knight costumes, together with swords and all), I was expecting some sort of really traditionalist and raw approach to black metal. After hearing In The Name Of God, Welcome To Planet Genocide I can safely conclude that my assumptions were completely wrong - this is some of the most avant-garde and forward-thinking black metal I have ever heard.

Actually, there are so many things going on here on this album that it's nearly impossible to peg the band into any particular genre or even niche. The band jumps seamlessly between somewhat Motorhead-inspired black metal scorchers to sample-heavy ambient passages and even ventures into electro-folk with female vocals and gospel music. And all of this within the confines of just the short EP format!! I don't know if past releases from this band were as varied or as good but this one is definitely a little gem in my collection. The general mood of the music and the inspired lyrics are also not something to ignore when listening to this album. To top all of this off, there is also a bevy of guests on this little release, including people from such bands as Hawkwind, Sigh and Worms Of Sabnock.

I simply can't imagine how good a proper LP from these guys can be and I'm definitely going to track down anything that they release from this moment on.

Written on 07.11.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 72 users
07.11.2006 - 00:31
Götter
Probably the only reason why I know of this band is because they made a split with Mayhem, the latter with their nauseatingly excellent "Freezing Moon" demo. The Meads Of Asphodel part sucked balls.
07.11.2006 - 03:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
@götter: that split has no reason to exist, I certainly agree with you...

anyway, strange to see Jupitreas reviewing The Meads Of Asphodel... not his "style"... well, besides that split with Mayhem I had only heard Damascus Steel, which totally sucks... I also hate their cheesy imaginery... as I remember prugor said once: awesome name for a worthless band.
07.11.2006 - 13:28
Götter
Written by Guest on 07.11.2006 at 03:01

@götter: that split has no reason to exist, I certainly agree with you...

I would've preferred to hear Freezing Moon in the place of each of The Meads Of Asphodel tracks.
07.11.2006 - 13:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
yeah the meads is definetely a really forward thinking black metal band-possibly the only black metal band i like
07.11.2006 - 14:27
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 07.11.2006 at 03:01

I had only heard Damascus Steel, which totally sucks... I also hate their cheesy imaginery... as I remember prugor said once: awesome name for a worthless band.

hahaha, we disagree again, this is like a phenomenon. I found this band rather interesting, although I heard only Exhuming The Grave Of Jeshua, I can say it that they make good music. one of the most experimental bands around.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.11.2006 - 13:19
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
if i were to hear this band's music all i would have in my head would be the images of them all dressed up in plastic armor with swords and magical staffs..... in other words, i just can't take these guys seriously
11.11.2006 - 15:41
Promonex
Cathemeral
I still remember that band pic on which they all were wearing differently coloured robes. Ever since I always associate them with Power Rangers

And yeah, their music is indeed a matter of taste. I for my part can't stand them.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
12.11.2006 - 15:47
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Götter on 07.11.2006 at 00:31

Probably the only reason why I know of this band is because they made a split with Mayhem, the latter with their nauseatingly excellent "Freezing Moon" demo. The Meads Of Asphodel part sucked balls.

I thought the Meads part on that split was really cool. Very unique.
18.01.2007 - 13:27
APOHAKC
The Bard
They are not so bad, they have thier moments and those moments have us
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
16.08.2008 - 18:39
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Incredible band, incredible release. I still love how certain people can't get their heads around this band's genius.

Hits total: 4793 | This month: 4