Metal Storm logo
How anal are you when it comes to collecting a bands discography?

27.05.2012 - 19:35
Right now I', working on collecting the followings total discography
Blind Guardian
Anaal Nathrakh
Emperor
Borknagar
Therion
Iced Earth
Kamelot
Epica

For some (mostly my absolute favorites) I want to get ALL their releases and see how they progressed over the years (Blind Guardian is, IMO, a perfect example of this), however, some bands (Iced Earth's SOmething WIcked pt. 1 & 2) have released some real stinkers.
27.05.2012 - 21:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hmmm at some point in my life I had this idea of buying everything by a band I liked. I'm very happy that I threw this idea back to its shithouse after one dissapointment.

Nowdays I check the album or just a couple of songs/samples from it... If I like it, I buy. Or just download it and if I like it a buy it.
The weird thing is that I'm anal with downloads. For example, if this X is a band I really like and maybe I own a couple of their cds but some release I find to be very shitty, I still want to have it in my pc even if I don't want to buy it. Don't know why. I guess I have some OCD for discographies in my computer but not in real life.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.05.2012 - 22:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Heh...

I just buy what I like.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.05.2012 - 22:34
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I was anal with Mastodon, buying their not so interesting DVD and "The Call Of The Mastodon" which is not that good.
I also plan on buying Metallica's "Garage Inc." also just to complete the collection, but I don't have that much interest in that one either.
The same applies for Alcest's latest... well, there are many.
28.05.2012 - 00:09
Thrashette
I only buy albums that I really love nowadays... And for bands that I do want the discography for (which is only Nightwish at the moment, just because of a nostalgia thing), I only get studio albums... Even then, I tend to wait til the album's been out for a while so I can get it cheaper lol
28.05.2012 - 00:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
If i like the band a lot, i will get 'em all despite some clunkers (Darkthrone - Total Death), but other bands (Metallica, Megadeth) if they go south I walk away.

at least in regards to studio albums... live albums can be iffy, and i generally don't mess with DVD's.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.05.2012 - 01:05
Crucifux
Account deleted
I still buy Rammstein's CDs even though I don't really listen to them anymore.
Other than that, I only buy the albums I really love.
28.05.2012 - 03:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
If I were rich I'd definitely collect discographies of some of my favorite bands.

Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Arckanum, Be'lakor, Benighted, Bolt Thrower, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deströyer 666, Esoteric, Forteresse, Hypothermia, Immolation, Inquisition, Insomnium, Judas Iscariot, Leviathan, Lifelover, Mournful Congregation, Nortt, Process of Guilt, Quo Vadis, The Ruins of Beverast, Shining, Taake, Vreid, Watain...

I'd buy all releases available - re-pressings, re-issues, re-releases, DVDs, live bootlegs, vinyls of all colors, whatever. I'd literally buy every item they've ever released - merch included.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.05.2012 - 06:06
MetalSpider
There are few bands that I have their entire discography and like all their albums (Amon Amarth, Moonsorrow to name two). However, I also have the entire discography of a few bands where there may be an album or two that I dont like but have them anyway (Iced Earth off the top of my head). However, these are all downloaded. I dont have entire discographies in CD form.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.05.2012 - 07:15
BlueMobius
Account deleted
If I end up with a band's entire discography it's not an intentional thing. It's usually that I just end up buying albums along the way and eventually end up with all of a certain band's studio albums, etc. I mostly care about getting studio albums, but in some cases (Agalloch being one) I like to get EPs, etc.
28.05.2012 - 17:04
Jiri
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.05.2012 at 03:10

If I were rich I'd definitely collect discographies of some of my favorite bands.

Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Arckanum, Be'lakor, Benighted, Bolt Thrower, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deströyer 666, Esoteric, Forteresse, Hypothermia, Immolation, Inquisition, Insomnium, Judas Iscariot, Leviathan, Lifelover, Mournful Congregation, Nortt, Process of Guilt, Quo Vadis, The Ruins of Beverast, Shining, Taake, Vreid, Watain...

I'd buy all releases available - re-pressings, re-issues, re-releases, DVDs, live bootlegs, vinyls of all colors, whatever. I'd literally buy every item they've ever released - merch included.

I have all of Shining's discography. Jelly?
28.05.2012 - 17:38
It's easy to collect all Ensiferum full length as there are only four. Watch out BTW, the new one's coming.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
28.05.2012 - 22:56
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
It depends entirely on the quality of the albums. It is very rare for a band never to release a bad album and if one of my favorite bands goes in a direction that I dislike, then I would feel almost immoral in supporting them by buying that album. For example: if I buy Kamelot's latest album, it will be like saying: yeah, I want you to become crap, thank you! That is something I cannot do.
28.05.2012 - 23:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Jiri on 28.05.2012 at 17:04

even their demo's and early EP?

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.05.2012 - 00:05
bitethepain
Just a thought. As bands get older and sometimes put out inferior albums, do you support them financially out of respect for all the awesome albums they did put out or let them dry out. Band members still need to pay their bills and music has been their chosen profession. While some, (Iron Maiden), might have been so profitable it won't matter if their next album is financially successful or not . There are a lot of older bands who need their albums to be somewhat profitable in order for them to continue on. I just wonder (if you can afford it, of course), by supporting them when they are not putting out their best stuff, you are still thanking them for what they have done and sometimes you still get some good stuff.
29.05.2012 - 01:08
Vombatus
Potorro
My ultimate goal is to have full discographies of all the bands I appreciate, but I know it's impossible

I do have a couple of complete ones (Hypocrisy, Lifelover, Summoning,....) or very close to be when they are lengthy (Maiden, Darkthrone, Therion,...), but it's impossible to keep the pace as you discover new bands every day plus the other ones get new stuff out !

Most of the time I stick to studio albums + EPs, don't care at all for compilations, re-recordings, dvds, but sometimes I get demos and splits too. It's also frustating when you can't find a rare item (like Lunar Aurora's "Of Stargates and Bloodstained Celestial Spheres" ).
29.05.2012 - 01:19
Jiri
Quote:
Quote:

No, Willy. Just their seven albums. I consider that good enough
29.05.2012 - 10:46
testing...
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.05.2012 at 23:32

Shining never released any demo''s
29.05.2012 - 13:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Excluding bands with less than 5 albums (studio albums only) I've got the complete albums of Iron Maiden, Opeth, King Diamond, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dimmu Borgir, Dragonforce, Guns n Roses, Lacuna Coil and Limp Bizkit (depending on whether The Unquestionable Truth is an album or ep). I only need 1 more for Ancient, Judas Priest, Immortal and Mercyful Fate, 2 more for Candlemass, Therion and Metallica (not gonna get those 2, though) and 3 more for Black Sabbath. Plus all Motorhead albums up to and including Bastards, plus 3 of the last 4. Still slowly woking my way throuth their discography.
Smaller complete discographys include Sinergy, Emperor, Virgin Black, Swashbuckle, Gallhammer, Black Majesty, Nirvana Linkin Park (yeah, yeah. Jeer all you want) and I'm waiting for the last ones to arrive for Midnattsol and Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult. I'd like to complete Celtic Frost, too, but I doubt I'll find a copy of Cold Lake for a reasonable price.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.05.2012 - 13:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Vombatus on 29.05.2012 at 01:08

My ultimate goal is to have full discographies of all the bands I appreciate, but I know it's impossible

I do have a couple of complete ones (Hypocrisy, Lifelover, Summoning,....) or very close to be when they are lengthy (Maiden, Darkthrone, Therion,...),

Good luck with completing Therion. The best I've seen for A'arab Zaraq is over a hundred dollars.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.05.2012 - 14:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by testing... on 29.05.2012 at 10:46

Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.05.2012 at 23:32

Shining never released any demo''s

I thought so, but was just saying, as there swould probably be like 4 copies of each.

By the way why do you have 2 accounts?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.05.2012 - 15:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

....Deströyer 666....

If you can't even afford this, you're very poor.
29.05.2012 - 17:13
Fredd
Account deleted
I love anal.
29.05.2012 - 17:16
Fredd
Account deleted
But seriously, here's an oath to buy every single album I've ever listened to, if I get the chance to do so in the future. Hopefully.
29.05.2012 - 21:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.05.2012 at 15:18

I'm not poor - I just don't have the money to spend freely on entire discographies.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.05.2012 - 21:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.05.2012 at 21:32

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.05.2012 at 15:18

I'm not poor - I just don't have the money to spend freely on entire discographies.

He's probably refering to illegal downloads, which defeats the entire purpose of this thread.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.05.2012 - 21:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.05.2012 at 21:34
He's probably refering to illegal downloads, which defeats the entire purpose of this thread.

People who equate illegal downloads with legal purchases are retarded. Obviously I can click a link and have virtually any discography I want.
----
29.05.2012 - 21:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.05.2012 at 21:37

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.05.2012 at 21:34

People who equate illegal downloads with legal purchases are retarded. Obviously I can click a link and have virtually any discography I want.

That's what I mean when i say it defeats the purpose of this thread.

The only time I'll illegally download something is if it's from a band I've never heard before, if I like it, I'll pick it up from a show, HMV or whatever.

On topic, I have no discographies, but I'm fairly close to having Ac/Dc's.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.05.2012 - 20:28
Guib
Thrash Talker
I never really collect a full discography.. many reasons, they all release some stinky shit at some point and also because some albums are so fucking hard to find
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
31.05.2012 - 21:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm damn anal when it comes to collecting discographys. I want everything but often find a new band as soon as I start getting somewhere. There's some albums I have two copies of, like my Opeth - Blackwater Park. I paid 25? for the version with the two bonus tracks, years after I had bought the "ordinary" release. Iron Maiden is the most extreme case in my CD shelf, owning a lot of worthless singles (paid 15? for one, just because it was limited) and like 5-6 best of, some of which I've never even played on my stereo. I don't care if it's a bad release or an unnecessary one, if I have something released by a band, I must have as much from them as I can find. It is ridiculous, but like a drug.
----