07. As Flittermice As Satans Spys
08. En Ås I Dype Skogen

Top 20 albums of 1994: 17

Line-up
Ted "Nocturno Culto" "Kveldulv" Skjellum - vocals
Leif Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell - guitars, bass, drums

Additional info
Recorded in November and December 1993.
Digitally remastered at Transformation in 2003.

Guest review by
Account deleted
Rating:
A cutting guitar, a bass that sounds like a buzzing of a wasp swarm, a shrill and dying voice, drums beating like chaos-tumult and a filthy production. This is the definition of pure black metal, the one of the renewal at the beginning of the 90's.

This resurrection has a name: Darkthrone, whose Transylvanian Hunger is their fourth opus, an album even faster and malicious than the previous ones. This opus has everything to become a cult: the lyrics, written by Fenriz and Varg (Burzum), and the sentence on the back cover that has brought up so many debates vaguely hinting of "Aryan Norwegian Black Metal", of course, without forgetting the unlimited potential of insanity in this work. With this piece Darkthrone have created a nearly perfect blackmetal pattern (some will say that A Blaze in the Northern Sky is better...) and many bands will try to recreate this atmosphere, but with no chance to ever near it.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2003 | Comments (14)

So pure. So cold. So old…
How old? 30 years old!

As an indisputable masterpiece of the genre, Darkthrone’s Transilvanian Hunger still plays a central role in the making of black metal. New acts seeking raw evil and hypnotic despair for their musical endeavours know the groundbreaking opening riff by heart. There is little left to be said about this album. So I’ll end this with the final lines of a short-but-sweet guest review, which described the album perfectly:

”Satan himself has certainly shed a tear facing so much genius - the art of regression and of musical purification, which is the climax of the beauty of evil...”

X-Ray Rod's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: nikarg, RaduP

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 987 users
09.06.2012 - 04:35
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
A Black Metal gem, no doubt.
Oddly enough, I seem to enjoy this album alot more if I'm in a more Doom Metal kind of mood. If I'm blasting a bunch of Funeral Doom, I'll stream some tracks from this album, like throw a little curve ball in there.....It truly captures the mood to me.

27.08.2012 - 03:06
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
One of the first "second wave" black metal albums I like.
06.09.2012 - 03:08
Rating: 8
Oaken
Hipster
This is black metal in its purest form. No elements from other genres, no experimentation, just black metal. And it kicks ass!
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
02.03.2013 - 14:12
Aristarchos
Definitely Darkthrone's best album.
06.05.2013 - 22:16
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid
Another brilliant Darkthrone album, and I prefer this over 'Under a funeral moon', even though that album is pretty good too. The title track on this album has such a memorable riff (one of the best in the entire genre in my opinion) but the guitar work across each 8 of the album's tracks is very solid and executed well. 'Over Fjell og gjennom torner' and 'As Flittermice as Satans spys' are two other songs that I consider to be this album's highlights.
20.11.2013 - 16:34
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Probably the most intense Darkthrone album.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
22.12.2013 - 01:33
Rating: 6
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by NocturnalStalker on 20.11.2013 at 16:34

Probably the most intense Darkthrone album.

Darkthrone must be a pretty chill band than More atmospheric than intense imo.

Also, one emoticon for this album so far:
22.12.2013 - 14:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 22.12.2013 at 01:33
Also, one emoticon for this album so far:

Maybe you should try their previous two albums? Out of their triology (since their debut is death metal) this is definitely the one based mostly on atmosphere and monotony, while the previous two are much more varied.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2013 - 15:01
Rating: 6
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.12.2013 at 14:36

Maybe you should try their previous two albums? Out of their triology (since their debut is death metal) this is definitely the one based mostly on atmosphere and monotony, while the previous two are much more varied.

Was just listening to Blaze, not sure what I think yet...

Edit: it's certainly better than this so far
15.02.2015 - 19:35
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This album annoys the hell outta me. On the first listen it was decent, but as the time goes by it becomes monotonous and hella boring.

C-R-A-P
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
16.02.2015 - 08:27
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Maco on 15.02.2015 at 19:35

C-R-A-P

I didn't find this boring, I don't know. This is just pure black metal at 90s. You should listen to it again.
But I know everyone have different taste, genre, etc. Maybe you should listen to other genres to make it better.
16.02.2015 - 16:52
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 16.02.2015 at 08:27

I didn't find this boring, I don't know. This is just pure black metal at 90s. You should listen to it again.
But I know everyone have different taste, genre, etc. Maybe you should listen to other genres to make it better.

I think I'm fine. No need to return to this crappy album.
----
16.02.2015 - 18:24
Fearmeister
Account deleted
This album lives and dies by the power of its riffs.
16.02.2015 - 19:57
Lit.
Account deleted
I would definitely vouch for this record being the apex example of kvlt, lo-fi black metal from the 90s Norwegian scene that sounds good. The title track's riff is one of my favorite riffs in black metal.
19.02.2015 - 10:59
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Maco on 16.02.2015 at 16:52

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 16.02.2015 at 08:27

I think I'm fine. No need to return to this crappy album.

Maybe is just to rawwwwwwwww for you dude
19.02.2015 - 17:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 19.02.2015 at 10:59

I don't think that's the problem
----
19.02.2015 - 20:03
Rating: 10
metalfan1999
Wow some people rated this 5 (probably due to the rawness and the fact that it is a little repetitive)

This is an epic black metal album . It is raw, dark and truly evil, so definitely what you would expect of second wave black metal. To me black metal is often better when it is raw and unpolished (lo-fi), since it increases the evilness, darkness and extremity of the music.

If you don't like raw "trve black metal," then do not buy this album, however if you do then then definitely buy it (I personally do not own many albums and I can understand when people don't buy that many albums due to the price). Anyways this album is epic and will always be epic
20.02.2015 - 02:52
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Maco on 19.02.2015 at 17:43

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 19.02.2015 at 10:59

I don't think that's the problem

Maybe is just to old for ya!!
20.02.2015 - 03:34
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I love how poor Maco said he didn't like it and even went so far as to explain himself and everyone else is going 'hurr durr, you're not kvlt enough!'

20.02.2015 - 04:58
Totenlieder
Written by deadone on 20.02.2015 at 04:21

Darkthrone's so-called "albums."

Do you like anything by Darkthrone?
----
Blut & Krieg
20.02.2015 - 05:21
Totenlieder
Quote:
Written by deadone on 20.02.2015 at 05:12

Written by Totenlieder on 20.02.2015 at 04:58

Some of their more modern stuff is ok. I am generally not a fan of anything Norwegian Black Metal and have always viewed it as a mistake that got out of control Gordon Freeman style.

Shit yo, that's too bad.
I love black metal. Especially Darkthrone.
----
Blut & Krieg
20.02.2015 - 05:35
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Hey guys....

I like A Blaze In The Northern Sky. It's a "trve kvlt black" metal album by Darkthrone and is even OLDER than Transilvanian Hunger.
----
21.02.2015 - 05:27
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Quote:

Written by Totenlieder on 20.02.2015 at 04:58

Some of their more modern stuff is ok. I am generally not a fan of anything Norwegian Black Metal and have always viewed it as a mistake that got out of control Gordon Freeman style.

How about their 1st album, Soulside Journey, since it's death rather than black?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
21.04.2018 - 08:29
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
There's a hazy vibe to this album that I find strangely entrancing and almost kind of soothing in a way, everything seems to blend into like a wall of sound that is hypnotizing to listen to and be enveloped by, which is similar to what I get from Xasthur's "Telepathic with the Deceased" only without keyboards. Not necessarily an album that's going to pump me up or anything, but definitely a haunting album with a satisfying dark atmosphere.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.01.2019 - 21:48
Maasai Mara
Best black metal album with a lo-fi necro production. Chilling stuff, solid tight atmosphere and thank fuck Darkthrone spent their rime on the previous album rehearsing for this. Excellent black metal and a must listen for all.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
04.07.2019 - 21:43
Cobalto
Grim, lo-fi, cold as fuck, no shit black metal. a trve masterpiece
31.03.2021 - 19:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Was not impressed then, I am not now, maybe next year I will listen this be after 20 years, maybe never. I am happy BN has involved, I hate those garage demo soun recordings,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.07.2021 - 03:49
Alakazam
spendin' cheese

Obviously old comment. I still remember this guy's diatribes in the shoutbox let alone wherever I go and see the same ho-wever, I had this on the thought for some while. Probably playing Half-Life currently helped, yeah, and absolutely can't unsee this statement's logic as truth but for grindcore instead.

As for this album, it's essentially the formula of the title track's cock if it were lenghthmaxing out into outstretched extensions.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

17.08.2021 - 15:40
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
It's absurd how superior this album is to the rest of darkthrone's discography
22.04.2022 - 05:42
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by CobiWan1993 on 21.04.2018 at 08:29

There's a hazy vibe to this album that I find strangely entrancing and almost kind of soothing in a way, everything seems to blend into like a wall of sound that is hypnotizing to listen to and be enveloped by....
Not necessarily an album that's going to pump me up or anything, but definitely a haunting album with a satisfying dark atmosphere.

I agree! This more atmosphere-oriented metal is harder for me to get into because it requires a lot of patience. It's prevalent in the music of many early Scandinavian black metal: Mayhem, Burzum,etc
I mostly prefer the more in-your-face fast and catchy approach of thrash and death metal, but I'm now learning to appreciate black metal's atmosphere more.
I'm not always in the mood, but when I am, the soothing, mesmerizing riffs are really great. It's nice to have a variety in musical choices: sometimes the more straightforward riffs of death metal and other times the haunting soundwaves of black metal

Hits total: 18491 | This month: 115