Metal Storm logo
Kamelot - Reveal New Vocalist

The big mystery surrounding the new singer of Kamelot has been revealed. The band has just announced that Tommy Karevik is their new vocalist. The following press release was issued: "The American/German symphonic metal band Kamelot is proud to announce another key piece leading to the release of their new studio album. A question foremost in every Kamelot fan's mind has been: Who is the group's new lead singer? Band mastermind and guitarist Thomas Youngblood has now revealed: 'The new man is Scandinavian Tommy Karevik!'

"The general public may not be overly familiar with the 30 year old Swede, Karevik, but people in the industry know him as the immensely talented frontman of the Swedish band, Seventh Wonder. Youngblood states: 'We had around 800 candidates for the vacant position, among them a number of really renowned musicians, and having to reject them really wasn't easy. We want to thank all the applicants, thank you for your understanding and we wish you all lots of success in the future!'

In their search for a new singer, Thomas Youngblood found YouTube to be an amazing tool: "I listened to a clip of a studio production featuring Tommy and have to confess that his performance really amazed me. His approach to melodies and themes suits Kamelot perfectly, and during our European shows we had plenty of opportunity to find out what a great guy he is."

Karevik is thrilled about his new position: "I am so honored to now be a part of this family and I can't wait to move into the new era of the band together with the guys. I fully understand that this comes with great responsibility and that it will be a big challenge for me as a singer as well as a person, but you can rest assured I will give it my all. From this day, a new journey has begun and I am really eager to meet you all along the way to share my passion for this music!"

You can read Tommy's biography here.

[Also thanks to RhaegarTargaryen for sending in this news!]

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot
Posted: 22.06.2012 by Account deleted

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 453 users
22.06.2012 - 19:02
Pazu
I'll say the same thing here that I said on Facebook. I'm not the hugest fan of Tommy and would have prefered other candidates, but I trust in the band's professionalism and try to let the new album convince me.
22.06.2012 - 19:20
strade
I'm pretty pleased with the choice, even if I'm not really sure his voice fits Kamelot. I think a couple users actually predicted this here, so congrats to you.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
22.06.2012 - 19:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What a news this going more down to chease bag how Freedom Call o yes one more lame band Kamelot was real only Eternety and Dominion album era , remeber that kiddos
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.06.2012 - 19:36
TemplarLS
Yes yes!!! I knew it!! ))
22.06.2012 - 19:41
Trojanman190
Written by Bad English on 22.06.2012 at 19:24

What a news this going more down to chease bag how Freedom Call o yes one more lame band Kamelot was real only Eternety and Dominion album era , remeber that kiddos

It's funny because your English is bad.

I haven't heard this new dude and he could be great or he could suck; I'm not really worried about him. My main concern is that Youngblood is out of ideas. Khan was fantastic on Poetry for the Poisoned, but it was still a terrible album. The songs were plain and boring. Unless the song writing improves I doubt the new album will impress much.
22.06.2012 - 19:44
Stabby
Account deleted
He sounds good judging by the songs on his band's myspace. Invariably he is a step down from Khan but he sounds like he can sing the songs convincingly and make it sound great. And maybe he will rise to the occasion and be something spectacular.

It thus falls on the rest of the band to come up with an album that will knock our socks off. If they don't give us something really incredible people will talk about the good old days when Kamelot used to be kings.

Lol @ Bad English. I don't really know what you're saying but I like it.

edit: Exactly Trojanman. I have confidence that the new singer will sound good. But that's not going to be enough, that's not even the real issue.
22.06.2012 - 20:35
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
YESYESYESYES.

Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls is one of the albums I went totally crazy for back in 2010 when I was just getting warmed up with prog metal. Part of it is due to this man's voice. I don't think they could have made a better choice - he can sing the highs, the lows, has just enough bravado, and he can compose kickass vocal melodies - and all of it in a completely different manner than Khan, so it will feel like a fresh start. The only concern I have is his stage presence, but that will surely improve.

I'm still sad over the fact Roy had to leave the band. But I'm absolutely loving his replacement and I have no doubts this lineup will deliver. Remember, Khan used to be a young talent from an up-and-coming Scandinavian prog band as well

I hope this isn't the end of Seventh Wonder though.
----
7.0 means the album is good
22.06.2012 - 21:33
Mountain King
K i K o
Khan is better...
22.06.2012 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Trojanman190 on 22.06.2012 at 19:41

Written by Bad English on 22.06.2012 at 19:24

It's funny because your English is bad.

I haven't heard this new dude and he could be great or he could suck; I'm not really worried about him. My main concern is that Youngblood is out of ideas. Khan was fantastic on Poetry for the Poisoned, but it was still a terrible album. The songs were plain and boring. Unless the song writing improves I doubt the new album will impress much.

Kameot is boring band generaky what w emetalheads make so famose because overating it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.06.2012 - 22:00
strade
I think that can be said of any popular band in any genre.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
22.06.2012 - 23:22
Jiri
Well, at least he's got the look. The voice on the other hand... Bieber?
23.06.2012 - 00:46
Novas
Eh.. They couldn't pick anyone that had a range pitch like Serenity's vocalist, or anyone that toured with them, or even a female vocalist? This singer is ok, but not good enough for Kamelot...
23.06.2012 - 01:35
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Mhhh, he does have a bit of a pop voice, but I always saw that as a great thing because he does have great range and power. Not sure which tracks you guys listened to.
----
23.06.2012 - 01:55
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I'll only listen to him if he sounds like Michael Jackson
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.06.2012 - 03:45
bazinko
I've listened to Star of David more times than I care to admit. I love that song. And I like the album it's on, but I'm not familiar with much of Seventh Wonder's other material. I think he's a nice fit though. Similar enough to fit in, but distinct enough to not be Roy 2.0. I've said it before though... Siege Perilous is one of my favorite Kamelot albums and was Roy's first with the band, so I have high hopes for this change. Let's hope for reinvention!

Hmm... also, I don't know if Tommy writes Seventh Wonder's lyrics, but they're pretty laughable on Waiting in the Wings. It's not a bad thing for me. Quite amusing actually, but I wonder how he'll mesh with Youngblood in that aspect.
23.06.2012 - 04:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Looks like my prediction was wrong. Oh, well. The new guy got a similar voice/range to Kahn?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.06.2012 - 10:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 23.06.2012 at 04:06

The new guy got a similar voice/range to Kahn?

Similar range - definitely, similar voice - no.
----
23.06.2012 - 10:59
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by bazinko on 23.06.2012 at 03:45

I don't know if Tommy writes Seventh Wonder's lyrics

I'm not sure about WITW, but most of Mercy Falls was written by him and Blomqvist. Quite fond of that album's lyrics and vocal melodies.
----
23.06.2012 - 11:39
Neroese
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 23.06.2012 at 10:57

Written by M C Vice on 23.06.2012 at 04:06

The new guy got a similar voice/range to Kahn?

Similar range - definitely, similar voice - no.

I heard 7thWonder songs and I must say that SOMETIMES Karevik sounds like Roy. Also, Tommy has got a bit similar vocal expression to Roys vocal.
23.06.2012 - 13:38
AljanahLyra
Yey! That's good news. He was so great on the tour with Kamelot I actually had a little hope that it would be him.
----
"I'm not going to fuck you Carmilla, I'm too pissed off."
~Godbrand, Castlevania~
23.06.2012 - 14:12
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Mixed reactions.

Well, I don't care who filled the shoes or how he sounds or he imitates Bieber or whatever.

I'll be very happy if Kamelot picks up on the different level and make some great music.
23.06.2012 - 14:13
I feel a little upset. Even though I love both bands I think Seventh Wonder is out of Kamelot's league musically speaking. Karevik is a hell of a singer, one of the best voices around. It was the best choice Youngblood and co. could make but damn, my concern about SW's future overshadows the joy of Kamelot choosing one of the very few vocalists that, for me, can really fill Roy's boots.
23.06.2012 - 15:45
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Bocata Calamares on 23.06.2012 at 14:13

I feel a little upset. Even though I love both bands I think Seventh Wonder is out of Kamelot's league musically speaking. Karevik is a hell of a singer, one of the best voices around. It was the best choice Youngblood and co. could make but damn, my concern about SW's future overshadows the joy of Kamelot choosing one of the very few vocalists that, for me, can really fill Roy's boots.

Honestly, don't think there is much concern about Seventh Wonder's future. They almost never tour so it wouldn't be difficult for him to be in two bands. Stu Block is still with Into Eternity, even after being with Iced Earth for a year now.

Edit: Also, for those who are concerned with the new singer choice. Here is him singing "Center of the Universe" with Kamelot. He sounds great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8eHTZeJDNc&feature=related
23.06.2012 - 15:58
thehondo
Tommys great, But dont like him fronting both bands. No one can replace Kahn. With SW, alot of whats good is instrumental. Vocals more crucial for Kamelot, hope it works out.
----
No time like the present
23.06.2012 - 17:07
Written by WorpeX on 23.06.2012 at 15:45

Honestly, don't think there is much concern about Seventh Wonder's future. They almost never tour so it wouldn't be difficult for him to be in two bands. Stu Block is still with Into Eternity, even after being with Iced Earth for a year now.

That's a very good point you've got there, sir. Didn't think of it. I just hope this doesn't hinder SW's chances of becoming a great, touring band someday.
23.06.2012 - 19:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Quote:

Actually, this has hurt Into Eternity a lot. They are practically a joke now live judging by the videos available. I would never go see Into Eternity with this 'replacement' vocalist and be happy because we have Stu on the records.

We will see what will happen in the long run, but I fear Stu made his choice and is not going to end well for IE.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.06.2012 - 21:38
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by BloodTears on 23.06.2012 at 19:32

Quote:

Actually, this has hurt Into Eternity a lot. They are practically a joke now live judging by the videos available. I would never go see Into Eternity with this 'replacement' vocalist and be happy because we have Stu on the records.

We will see what will happen in the long run, but I fear Stu made his choice and is not going to end well for IE.

Yeah, I can't really deny that. This girl they have sucks pretty bad. However, we're talking about Seventh Wonder specifically and they aren't a touring band. Setlist.fm shows that they played 3 live shows in 2011 and 6 this year. I can't really see them being too hurt by this change.
24.06.2012 - 01:03
Enissa
This is really awesome news, I was wishing for them to pick him, now I can't wait to listen to him on the new record!!!
24.06.2012 - 01:08
Enissa
Written by Milena on 22.06.2012 at 20:35

YESYESYESYES.

Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls is one of the albums I went totally crazy for back in 2010 when I was just getting warmed up with prog metal. Part of it is due to this man's voice. I don't think they could have made a better choice - he can sing the highs, the lows, has just enough bravado, and he can compose kickass vocal melodies - and all of it in a completely different manner than Khan, so it will feel like a fresh start. The only concern I have is his stage presence, but that will surely improve.

I'm still sad over the fact Roy had to leave the band. But I'm absolutely loving his replacement and I have no doubts this lineup will deliver. Remember, Khan used to be a young talent from an up-and-coming Scandinavian prog band as well

I hope this isn't the end of Seventh Wonder though.

my thoughts exactly! and Mercy Falls one of the best prog albums for sure...and I'm very thankful they didn't bring Fabio, I would probably hang myself if I hear him on record with Kamelot...
24.06.2012 - 01:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 23.06.2012 at 19:32

Urm...Stu already said in the interview with Doc Godin that he is not going to continue with Into Eternity anymore...

"Doc: So last question about Into Eternity - what's the status with them?

Stu: They got a new singer - Amanda Kiernan, she's a cool chick. She's like a dude trapped in a chicks body. She can hang with the metal guys, and she's got a great voice. I think she's going to do really well in Into Eternity. I've been hanging with all my brothers the last couple days, Tim is coming out tonight. The Into' guys are really happy for me, but they have to keep moving on. They've got a good fan base and they need to keep touring. They have lots of offers, so all the power to them. I have to focus on my new job - my new band right now."
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

Hits total: 9251 | This month: 20