Metal Storm logo
Kamelot - Reveal New Vocalist

The big mystery surrounding the new singer of Kamelot has been revealed. The band has just announced that Tommy Karevik is their new vocalist. The following press release was issued: "The American/German symphonic metal band Kamelot is proud to announce another key piece leading to the release of their new studio album. A question foremost in every Kamelot fan's mind has been: Who is the group's new lead singer? Band mastermind and guitarist Thomas Youngblood has now revealed: 'The new man is Scandinavian Tommy Karevik!'

"The general public may not be overly familiar with the 30 year old Swede, Karevik, but people in the industry know him as the immensely talented frontman of the Swedish band, Seventh Wonder. Youngblood states: 'We had around 800 candidates for the vacant position, among them a number of really renowned musicians, and having to reject them really wasn't easy. We want to thank all the applicants, thank you for your understanding and we wish you all lots of success in the future!'

In their search for a new singer, Thomas Youngblood found YouTube to be an amazing tool: "I listened to a clip of a studio production featuring Tommy and have to confess that his performance really amazed me. His approach to melodies and themes suits Kamelot perfectly, and during our European shows we had plenty of opportunity to find out what a great guy he is."

Karevik is thrilled about his new position: "I am so honored to now be a part of this family and I can't wait to move into the new era of the band together with the guys. I fully understand that this comes with great responsibility and that it will be a big challenge for me as a singer as well as a person, but you can rest assured I will give it my all. From this day, a new journey has begun and I am really eager to meet you all along the way to share my passion for this music!"

You can read Tommy's biography here.

[Also thanks to RhaegarTargaryen for sending in this news!]

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot
Posted: 22.06.2012 by Account deleted

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 453 users
24.06.2012 - 11:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes, I remember that, that is why I said he had made his choice, it's just sad.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.06.2012 - 14:30
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I'm so glad they have chosen Tommy Karevik, of all the possible choices, except maybe some unknown people, I feel he is by far the best one.
He is not Roy, and I appreciate the fact that he doesn't try to emulate Khan... It is just great that Kamelot have a fantastic vocalist who can sing all the old songs and make them sound just as good...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
24.06.2012 - 17:22
Abel
Written by Milena on 22.06.2012 at 20:35

YESYESYESYES.

Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls is one of the albums I went totally crazy for back in 2010 when I was just getting warmed up with prog metal. Part of it is due to this man's voice. I don't think they could have made a better choice - he can sing the highs, the lows, has just enough bravado, and he can compose kickass vocal melodies - and all of it in a completely different manner than Khan, so it will feel like a fresh start. The only concern I have is his stage presence, but that will surely improve.

I'm still sad over the fact Roy had to leave the band. But I'm absolutely loving his replacement and I have no doubts this lineup will deliver. Remember, Khan used to be a young talent from an up-and-coming Scandinavian prog band as well

I hope this isn't the end of Seventh Wonder though.

EXACTLY!!!! I LOVE BOTH BANDS, BUT I DON'T WANT HIM TO LEAVE SEVENTH WONDER, it's like two planets are collapsing and i can't believe it
24.06.2012 - 17:23
Abel
Written by Pazu on 22.06.2012 at 19:02

I'll say the same thing here that I said on Facebook. I'm not the hugest fan of Tommy and would have prefered other candidates, but I trust in the band's professionalism and try to let the new album convince me.

dude i swear i saw your comment on fb ^.^
24.06.2012 - 18:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Abel on 24.06.2012 at 17:23

Written by Pazu on 22.06.2012 at 19:02

I'll say the same thing here that I said on Facebook. I'm not the hugest fan of Tommy and would have prefered other candidates, but I trust in the band's professionalism and try to let the new album convince me.

dude i swear i saw your comment on fb ^.^

Sorry. I already hacked his account and all female friends added there.
25.06.2012 - 06:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Milena on 23.06.2012 at 01:35

Mhhh, he does have a bit of a pop voice, but I always saw that as a great thing because he does have great range and power. Not sure which tracks you guys listened to.

This guy is kinda poppy, I wonder if Kamelot is going to suffer similar issue as Nightwish when they hired a "pop-ier" singer? Never listened to Seventh Woinder before now but they sound like a lighter, pop-ier version of Symphony X to me (and quite frankly I prefer Symphony X), not sure how to feel about this decision of Kamelot's. I'll still give the new album a chance just in case maybe he decides to use a less poppy tone with Kamelot since that is the tone he uses in Seventh Wonder...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

25.06.2012 - 07:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by WorpeX on 23.06.2012 at 15:45

Edit: Also, for those who are concerned with the new singer choice. Here is him singing "Center of the Universe" with Kamelot. He sounds great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8eHTZeJDNc&feature=related

Thanks for this link! The video quality isn't so good but the audio is good enough that I can hear him doing a very good job performing Kahn's role, this gives me hope he might work out. Now we'll just have to see what he writes on his own. He also appears to have very good stage presence similar to Khan's...
----

25.06.2012 - 10:08
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by psykometal on 25.06.2012 at 06:56

This guy is kinda poppy, I wonder if Kamelot is going to suffer similar issue as Nightwish when they hired a "pop-ier" singer? Never listened to Seventh Woinder before now but they sound like a lighter, pop-ier version of Symphony X to me (and quite frankly I prefer Symphony X), not sure how to feel about this decision of Kamelot's. I'll still give the new album a chance just in case maybe he decides to use a less poppy tone with Kamelot since that is the tone he uses in Seventh Wonder...

Seventh Wonder is slightly more technical and differ a lot from SyX in terms of tone and atmosphere. As for Tommy, he has many different sides to his voice, so I too hope they're not going to use just one of them Thomas said that the new album will sound like a cross between Karma and The Black Halo, and, if he manages to pull it off nicely - BRING IT ON! Sure, we get some good quality power metal albums every year but nothing worth shitting your pants over it. This sounds like it might be it - a new classic.
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.06.2012 - 14:46
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Seventh Wonder huh? Heard of them but never gave them a listen, this new vocalist has a very different style by the sounds of it. Very distinctive though. Khan was irreplaceable of course but if they can find someone with enough of their own character I'm sure they can continue successfully, this guy seems to have that.
25.06.2012 - 18:23
slinx
Hopefully Kamelot does something new and interesting with the new guy, I would hate to see them pull a Journey and become nothing more than a touring greatest hits band that is unable to move away from the old singer.

Love me some Khan though.
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic
26.06.2012 - 02:45
Wes
OH MY GOD.... My dreams come true. I cannot get over this!!!!!!!!!!!!
26.06.2012 - 04:18
haladflire65
Account deleted
I love Seventh Wonder and Tommy's singing so I'm hopeful about this! I think his power and range can be great for Kamelot; him performing with the band sounded pretty good, too. People were bound to complain no matter who got chosen but I want to be cautiously optimistic.
26.06.2012 - 08:48
alfrede110
I just listened to his voice, and should say I didn't communicate with it that much. I don't know, maybe it's still a raw idea, but imagining anyone else but Roy Khan singing "Abandoned" (with all those vibratos and ups and downs in his incredible talented voice), makes me disappointed. Actually, it seems impossible. Just like Anette in Nightwish. Maybe she fits in some songs, but definitely you can't accept her singing "Ghost Love Score" or "Phantom of The Opera" compared to Tarja. Anyway, bands go forward, but fans are always nostalgic. Let's see what happens!
30.06.2012 - 01:55
Josh Gottret
I hear a couple of songs on the last tour with Fabio Lione...and he really surprised me!!!
Sounds great and absolutely different to Rhapsody!
After Fabio said that he wanted sing with Kamelot officially I thought that he was the new Kamelot frontman, but no...and from nowhere this guy appears...is a totally strange to me...I never hear about him, but if the entire band want give him support will be for something...anyway...KAMELOT RULES!!!
30.06.2012 - 08:46
Blackleaf
Ok a guy who the girls can look at I hate this I dont think he is gonna win my respect like khan did but let hope so im wrong
30.06.2012 - 11:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Blackleaf on 30.06.2012 at 08:46

Ok a guy who the girls can look at

Umm, and Khan wasn't? I'd say Roy is even better looking than Tommy.

First we judge metal frontwomen for being "pretty faces", now we're anxious if the male replacement singer of our favorite bands isn't as ugly as Lemmy Kilmister... jeez. Heaven forbid anyone ever took a flattering photo for a promo shot or tried to look nice in metal, because beauty is for pop stars, right? We don't need that shit?
----
30.06.2012 - 13:30
Blackleaf
Hahahah lolzzzzzzzzzz let face it Roy is not that very good looking guy but every one have his won opinion for example I see lisa of Xandria hot as hell but must do not agree on that but roy had the voice and the power on the stage witch hard to find these days Im just feel some fear that the band will take that step that Within Temptation had taken with the unforgiving but let hope that is not gonna happened
30.06.2012 - 13:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Blackleaf on 30.06.2012 at 13:30

Let face it Roy is not that very good looking guy

You're the first person ever to say that, I think.
----
30.06.2012 - 13:47
Blackleaf
Written by Milena on 30.06.2012 at 13:39

Written by Blackleaf on 30.06.2012 at 13:30

Let face it Roy is not that very good looking guy

You're the first person ever to say that, I think.

Then Im more then happy to make the girls wake up from this fantasy
01.07.2012 - 21:55
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
For what it's worth- I'm happy about this. The guy can sing. I am a pre-established fan of his voice. And as far as image goes (for the people that find that important) Kamelot is still gonna be very Kamelot. My (minor?) concern is about a couple vocal nuances that Roy had that few can pull off so emotively. Khan had this blending of gentle/tender falsetto into straight full voice, all the while keeping a perfect amount of vibrato at the same time. It's this that made me hope for Alfred Romero (Dark Moor), since - while not the shining vocal wizard Roy was at one point - he can do this gracefully and passionately. To some extent, Fabio could do this too...just not as similarly or fitting for Kamelot. That is my opinion, though. All three would have done great with some work (as well as the rumored Michael Eriksen)...yet the band made their choice, and I definitely respect it. Onward to the next stage!
03.07.2012 - 04:33
Mechaniacal
This guy has the best voice I've ever heard in metal. Seventh Wonder's last 3 albums also shit all over Kamelot's entire discography combined. I was actually hoping this wouldn't happen, but damage is done, I guess. Too bad.
03.07.2012 - 06:22
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
If the two bands were in the same ballpark, the last sports team-like protest comment above would make a little sense (just a little)...but oh well...opinions are like vaginas...
06.07.2012 - 05:34
xbloodbirds
From what I've heard, Keravik seems to sound more similarly to Khan's vocals in the works of "Karma" and "Epica", especially when considering range and pitch. I believe this guy has the capability to live up to the Khan's legacy and maybe even surpass him.
10.07.2012 - 00:35
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
The more I indulge in Seventh Wonder lately, I'm feeling even more happy to have him front one of my favorite bands. But, as I expressed above; I need to hear him do that strange and beautiful falsetto featured on songs like the "Elizabeth" trilogy, "Don't You Cry", and "Wander"...that wacky, inimitable thing he did on the second verse of "Up Through the Ashes" ...the way Khan blended it in effortlessly. I don't doubt Tommy, and know he's a whole different man. I just really wanna know how he's going to approach this technique.
10.07.2012 - 01:00
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Mechaniacal on 03.07.2012 at 04:33

This guy has the best voice I've ever heard in metal. Seventh Wonder's last 3 albums also shit all over Kamelot's entire discography combined. I was actually hoping this wouldn't happen, but damage is done, I guess. Too bad.

I agree; fortunately, he did not quit Seventh Wonder, he's still their vocalist.
10.07.2012 - 18:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.07.2012 at 01:00

fortunately, he did not quit Seventh Wonder, he's still their vocalist.

...for now.

If he gets as good a reception world wide as he has here then he will probably have to choose eventually between the big name band and the little known band. Look at Stu Block, he still hasn't announced his departure from Into Eternity yet but in an interview with one of MS's Staff members he stated that he was basically done with Into Eternity and was focused entirely on Iced Earth because they are the bigger band and need him a lot more than Into Eternity. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before Tommy departs Seventh Wonder for Kamelot. Just saying...
----

10.07.2012 - 21:14
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 10.07.2012 at 18:49

Written by Guest on 10.07.2012 at 01:00

fortunately, he did not quit Seventh Wonder, he's still their vocalist.

...for now.

If he gets as good a reception world wide as he has here then he will probably have to choose eventually between the big name band and the little known band. Look at Stu Block, he still hasn't announced his departure from Into Eternity yet but in an interview with one of MS's Staff members he stated that he was basically done with Into Eternity and was focused entirely on Iced Earth because they are the bigger band and need him a lot more than Into Eternity. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before Tommy departs Seventh Wonder for Kamelot. Just saying...

I hope what you say will not happen; I hope Tommy remains loyal to his friends in Seventh Wonder (as he has been so far).
10.07.2012 - 23:50
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 10.07.2012 at 21:14

I hope what you say will not happen; I hope Tommy remains loyal to his friends in Seventh Wonder (as he has been so far).

I remember reading a recent SW interview where Tommy explained his love for and connection to Seventh Wonder and how he'll never leave the band, and back then I was bummed because, while it definitely meant he'd stay with SW, which is amazing, it also diminished his chances of joining Kamelot. But now that he plans to sing in both bands, I couldn't be happier. SW don't usually have a busy schedule so I could see it working out pretty well, especially if Kamelot continue their habit of bringing a full circus of people with them each tour - maybe SW will tour the world with them sometime as a support act, who knows.
----
11.07.2012 - 04:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Milena on 10.07.2012 at 23:50

maybe SW will tour the world with them sometime as a support act, who knows.

That would certainly be interesting for sure but it might also be a bit too strenuous for Tommy voice depending on the length of such a tour since Kamelot usually play long sets to get good coverage of their catalogue...
----

11.07.2012 - 10:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by psykometal on 11.07.2012 at 04:13

That would certainly be interesting for sure but it might also be a bit too strenuous for Tommy voice depending on the length of such a tour since Kamelot usually play long sets to get good coverage of their catalogue...

Yeah, I know that, but a girl can dream, right?
----

Hits total: 9252 | This month: 21