Metal Storm logo
Automatical vs Manual Gear Stick

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 01.07.2012 - 16:59
What cars do you prefere more
There is 3 posibilities and what do you prefere

I personaly like only automatical, Its been long since I drove a car but manual is pain in ass, you need work whit legs, arms, its totaly nonsence to me
I prefere only automatical cars, you simply drive, car do all itr self, ok reverse but its easy , no work whit legs 2 pedales, one gass one brake
I know it was stupid think to do but I start even use one leg for gass one for brake, its easy one leg gass one rfake, even its totaly aganst all driving rules, but I dont care since I never willd rive manual car. I did it also when I have forth lift truck practice (it was 3 day job only) one gass, one brake, its much easyer,
So for me only automatic, IMO all manual cars can disapear , we have new loyouts, new HD TV, new PC whatever, why we need keep this old fassion crap manual car ?

Poll

What do you prefere more?

Manual
Automatic
All 3 Is Good
Semi Automatic

Total votes: 46
02.07.2012 - 13:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 02.07.2012 at 10:54

It's the same if you drive on the left. All cars, as far as I know, have the pedals in the same order.

Oops, of course, you're right. Damn, how could I forget? I even rented a car when I was on holiday in South Africa about ten years ago.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2012 - 20:28
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Please never change the title.
02.07.2012 - 21:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 02.07.2012 at 20:28

i won't. and i was half tempted to "correct" MC Vice's latest post and refer to "the 3rd pedal" as the "Clutchical".
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.07.2012 - 21:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 02.07.2012 at 20:28

just looked at closer and I couldn't stop laughing
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.07.2012 - 00:21
MetalSpider
Written by Valentin B on 02.07.2012 at 02:14

Written by MetalSpider on 01.07.2012 at 20:09

I've never driven a manual car. A lot of people say it's more fun and I can see it being fun for sure...but to drive a manual car everyday especially when you get stuck in traffic...I'd imagine you would be wishing you had an automatic car.

In my very first real traffic lesson (as in, not just small side-streets) about 2 months ago I got stuck in a huge line of cars and had to spend half an hour getting out of that jam. It was great exercise but then again if I had to do that every day I think I'd go nuts.

Automatic for me is more practical as I'm still a driving student and, to be honest, I'm quite clumsy at it, but then again I believe everyone should learn a manual transmission first. I love driving, I'm just pretty bad at it, because I could never practice on anything, as my family never owned a car and the first time I got behind the wheel in some yard was in mid-april this year. but then again using my almost 20-year bicycle experience I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be a good motorcycle rider

I sometimes change from 2nd to 4th by mistake and things like that, the engine starts rumbling, and my asshole driving instructor starts complaining, and even then I still believe it's better to learn to drive with a manual gear.

I definitely wish I had learned to drive manual first. I love driving and have a great appreciation for it but I think I would appreciate it even more if I learned how to drive manual. In any event, I want to learn still how to drive manual just for the fun of it.

But I don't think I would ever buy a manual car (although you never know). I just think automatic is definitely more practical and although it's like a moving couch, it can still be fun even in automatic.

I'd like to think I'm becoming even better as a driver. My job involves driving and I generally drive more than the average person (150km a day on average...sometimes less sometimes more). I still do stupid things from time to time but that's a result of me being either very tired or distracted (hot girl/woman in the car next to me or walking across the street for example lol )
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
03.07.2012 - 10:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by MetalSpider on 03.07.2012 at 00:21

I definitely wish I had learned to drive manual first. I love driving and have a great appreciation for it but I think I would appreciate it even more if I learned how to drive manual. In any event, I want to learn still how to drive manual just for the fun of it.

But I don't think I would ever buy a manual car (although you never know). I just think automatic is definitely more practical and although it's like a moving couch, it can still be fun even in automatic.

I'd like to think I'm becoming even better as a driver. My job involves driving and I generally drive more than the average person (150km a day on average...sometimes less sometimes more). I still do stupid things from time to time but that's a result of me being either very tired or distracted (hot girl/woman in the car next to me or walking across the street for example lol )

150 km every day is a lot, imo, I know taxi drivers who do a lot less than that. None of my co-workers drive to work as we all use public transport (which is insanely cheaper than braving the rush hour here), but some of them are still quite good at the wheel. you have the opportunity to practice though, and that's awesome.
03.07.2012 - 10:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Here it's like f you leanred to drive in an automatic you are never allowed to drive a manual unless you take lessons again and again pass an exam.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2012 - 11:17
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 10:12

Here it's like f you leanred to drive in an automatic you are never allowed to drive a manual unless you take lessons again and again pass an exam.

Same, or similar, here. Auto licence is for auto only. Manual is for both. Most people learn to drive manual, even if they are gonna get an automatic. At least that way they can still drive a manual if they have to.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.07.2012 - 11:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 03.07.2012 at 11:17

Same, or similar, here. Auto licence is for auto only. Manual is for both. Most people learn to drive manual, even if they are gonna get an automatic. At least that way they can still drive a manual if they have to.

That''s the way it is here as well.

No idea what it is like in most other countries though. But if there are countries where you are allowed to drive manual after only having learned to drive automatic that would be bloody dangerous and might actually explain the appalling driving abilities of a loads of people in lots of countries ahhahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2012 - 11:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 11:22

Written by M C Vice on 03.07.2012 at 11:17

That''s the way it is here as well.

No idea what it is like in most other countries though. But if there are countries where you are allowed to drive manual after only having learned to drive automatic that would be bloody dangerous and might actually explain the appalling driving abilities of a loads of people in lots of countries ahhahaha

No it wouldn't, they don't know how to get out of first gear! Bit noisy, though, 60 kph in 1st.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.07.2012 - 13:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 10:12

Same here I know one girl who did only auto and she was happy , till she get a job and she need use a company cars (not private ) and all was manual and sne cant do it and she get fired , and now she ha sno money to do it agan

Seems 90% cars what companies give to workers are manual , not automatical ,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.07.2012 - 02:22
MetalSpider
Written by Valentin B on 03.07.2012 at 10:07

Written by MetalSpider on 03.07.2012 at 00:21

150 km every day is a lot, imo, I know taxi drivers who do a lot less than that. None of my co-workers drive to work as we all use public transport (which is insanely cheaper than braving the rush hour here), but some of them are still quite good at the wheel. you have the opportunity to practice though, and that's awesome.

Yeah it's a lot and for the most part I love it, but it can get tiring that's for sure. 150km is the average basically...some days it's a lot less (less than 100...even less than 50 km on some days). But some days its more (almost at 200km...some days if Im not busy, I drive around aimlessly and can go over 200km in a day lol).

I think some people are naturally good drivers...in part because of their attitude and awareness behind the wheel and just their ability to somewhat know the size of the car (good depth perception etc.).
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
04.07.2012 - 06:56
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Manual is definitely the way to go for me, but as Marcel said, Auto is good for being more attentive to the road conditions and less confident drivers.
05.07.2012 - 04:56
Fredd
Account deleted
I prefer my anatomical gear stick.
05.07.2012 - 10:32
emperorgonzo
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 04.07.2012 at 06:56

Manual is definitely the way to go for me, but as Marcel said, Auto is good for being more attentive to the road conditions and less confident drivers.

Plus it's actually fun. Specially when you have a nice car.
11.08.2012 - 16:58
MechanisT
Account deleted
Manual. Automatic is too... I don't know what to call it.
13.08.2012 - 16:51
MetallicA
I haven't driven a manuel in a few years but I loved it when I did. I plan on getting a new car within the next month or so...it'll be a manuel for sure! They're just so much fun to drive and it keeps you engaged.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
28.08.2012 - 20:24
CaLu
Account deleted
I have driven an automatic geared car, and I really thought that it was like driving a go-kart. It can be fun, if you're having the right car for it.
Still I prefer manual gearing above automatic, as it gives me a more complete sense of driving a car.
19.09.2012 - 15:52
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Even though I've never tried automatic, I vote for manual because of the following reasons. Firstly, in Europe (or at least this part of Europe) 90% of cars are manual, so its like a standard situation for me. Secondly, as Marcel nicely explained it, there are some advantages to manual - in situations where you need better control of your car or the gas spending. Also, when you learn to drive properly, your brain becomes "automatic" even though your car isn't That is, you don't really pay attention to the gearbox as much as to the road conditions.
I wish not to insult anybody, but I must say that its perfectly fine if somebody prefers automatic, but for me, if somebody says that they cant drive manual cars, for me that person is more like a half-driver, than a real driver. Sort of. Whatever
----
19.09.2012 - 20:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stalker on 19.09.2012 at 15:52

Even though I've never tried automatic, I vote for manual because of the following reasons. Firstly, in Europe (or at least this part of Europe) 90% of cars are manual, so its like a standard situation for me. Secondly, as Marcel nicely explained it, there are some advantages to manual - in situations where you need better control of your car or the gas spending. Also, when you learn to drive properly, your brain becomes "automatic" even though your car isn't That is, you don't really pay attention to the gearbox as much as to the road conditions.
I wish not to insult anybody, but I must say that its perfectly fine if somebody prefers automatic, but for me, if somebody says that they cant drive manual cars, for me that person is more like a half-driver, than a real driver. Sort of. Whatever

In all aipoprts and car rent is like 100 manual and 2 aurtomatical 99% in company cars has manual, many companies is contract if you need loamnd car company pays only for manual + fuel
My mothers BF company pay only for manual and also fuel if its manual (since he has auto only where he get pain for fuel is when he drove home from work 1000km from Stockholm up to north, work place - arland aiport he pay him self since he use his car), but still I hate werry much manual, I like automatical its like relax ride

Im not teqniqual expert but is it true manial brokes less like older manual cars and if its brokes its mechaniq if you know the way aroun car you can fix. but automatical is full whit electronics and only service can fix it and those brokes more?
----

apos;'
[image]
19.09.2012 - 21:31
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Bad English on 19.09.2012 at 20:56

Written by Stalker on 19.09.2012 at 15:52

In all aipoprts and car rent is like 100 manual and 2 aurtomatical 99% in company cars has manual, many companies is contract if you need loamnd car company pays only for manual + fuel
My mothers BF company pay only for manual and also fuel if its manual (since he has auto only where he get pain for fuel is when he drove home from work 1000km from Stockholm up to north, work place - arland aiport he pay him self since he use his car), but still I hate werry much manual, I like automatical its like relax ride

Im not teqniqual expert but is it true manial brokes less like older manual cars and if its brokes its mechaniq if you know the way aroun car you can fix. but automatical is full whit electronics and only service can fix it and those brokes more?

I don't know. I'm not a technical expert either, but it seems logical to me that automatic will suffer more, since you pay more attention to what you are doing to the motor and the car when you drive manual. And as you said, its more mechanics than electronics...
----
12.05.2014 - 18:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quastion, how can panzer turn there are no wheels only those what they has and when you drive you dont see it turns how can it move and turn, how its techiqally possible
----

apos;'
[image]
13.05.2014 - 03:08
theFIST
Written by Bad English on 12.05.2014 at 18:56

Quastion, how can panzer turn there are no wheels only those what they has and when you drive you dont see it turns how can it move and turn, how its techiqally possible

chains moving at different speeds
it is the same turning concept a segway uses, just with 2 chains instead of 2 wheels
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
13.05.2014 - 08:30
toxx
Supreme being
Automatic gearboxes has become quite good on european cars the last decade. Don't want an older car with auto transmission though. Too slow and heavy. I prefer manual in sports cars though. And manual is an advantage here, with 4-6 months of snowy/icy roads every year.
13.05.2014 - 13:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 13.05.2014 at 03:13

I prefer automatics coz I'm lazy and also I live in a really hilly city so it's constantly going up and down gears.

My current car is a manual.

tou live in a desert so britiush classic landrover is best for your country if you like wildenrness
----

apos;'
[image]
13.05.2014 - 14:47
Lucerna
I can imagine driving automatic would be easier or something, but driving manual is something I'm much more used to. Plus I suppose you have a bit more control over what the car is doing, because you get to decide the gear. And honestly it's really not hard whatsoever. Once you're even moderately accustomed to the idea it all goes... almost automatically.
----
达到光亮之前我是个小龙 | Last.fm
13.05.2014 - 15:45
theFIST
Written by Guest on 13.05.2014 at 14:52

The title of this thread is absolutely hilarious hahaha.

There's two things I love most. One's music and the other is driving. Combining the two is what I view as heaven. So naturally, I prefer manual as I find automatic quite boring. Due to mum's saturday shopping, we had to get a semi automatic. So one of the cars that we own is a 2011 VW Polo with a DSG gearbox. Would prefer manual but this is the best that we could do given the circumstances. Cars with manual control are pretty flexible so I don't mind em. You can change gears whenever you want and the car also shifts gears on its own when revs are too low/high.

dsg is useful, i quite dislike using the clutch pedal, but the car shifting automatically would annoy me a lot, especially with something low powered
my mother has a VW Touran, and if i want a acceptable acceleration with that i have to rev close to the red range even in first gear
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
26.12.2017 - 16:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Automatic is best, just enjoy driving, specially in winter. Dark 22h per day, you don't see turning and so on, same summer sun is up 22h and shining in a ayes. Automamtic only
Manual, you need click pedal, then to 1, start whit one, traffic light, all signal tuning signs, you cant think so fast and re act, I often don't show signals when I am alone on the road, I still get engine stop on then traffic light area when I use gear stick, I hate 1,2,3 and so on, then slow, foot, gass, car scahiking, I hate it. Its way to complicated have manual shit.
----

apos;'
[image]
26.12.2017 - 22:48
yvesson
Hej, basically, all automated things make the human beings stupider, or at least worse at working with their hands (or feet).
I also consider you'd fall asleep more having nothing to think about, except on a motorway you're just at the highest gear and you don't need to break, most of the time... and it's where people fall asleep.
Also think about it : nowadays you don't control things, things control you, next step is a full automated car.
27.12.2017 - 04:15
Become Death
I hate, hate, hate standard cars. I derive no pleasure whatsoever from driving, if I never had to drive again, I would be ecstatic. I just want to get from point A to point B. I can't stand the idea that if I screw up a little I could kill myself or, worse, someone else. So, if there is anything that makes driving easier for me, I'm all for it.
----
Fear is the path to the darkside. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Once you start down the path to the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.