02. Board Up The House
03. Mtns. (The Crown & Anchor)
04. Foolsong
05. Collapse
06. Psalms Alive
07. Stretchmarker
08. The Line Between
09. If I Forget Thee, Lowcountry

Here's a band that has picked up a notable amount of steam over the past few years; Red Album was generally received warmly, building up perfectly to the staggering amounts of praise for Blue Record. The pressure is on. How do they live up to it? By throwing us a goddamn curve-ball, is what.

Of course you all like curve-balls. Well, not all of you will like this one. Yellow has a distinctly mainstream, radio rock appeal. It seems they figured their flavour of Savannah Sludge was being taken over by similar acts like Kylesa and Black Tusk, it was time to shake things up. This result of changing things up with their cleanest, catchiest, most melodic piece to date. Some of these tracks have such an arena-rock sort of feel to them, it becomes increasingly difficult to really call this a sludge band anymore.

The kicker? Despite having an obviously intentional high level of accessibility to it, Yellow is still thoughtfully built from the ground up. The guitar work is incredibly dynamic, even if it completely lacks many of the rougher edges you have come to expect from this band.

That's the Yellow side. Green side is a totally different story. No, it's not back to actual sludge, but even further away. It's a really mellow ("The Line Between" aside), bizarre form of old school prog going on. Not quite as memorable or notable as Yellow, Green is well worth the listen if for nothing else than witnessing the contrast this band is capable of pulling off.

In the end, Yellow & Green is a toss-up. People expecting to hear Baroness revisit Red Album are going to be sorely disappointed. However, open minds may be quite impressed by this bands calculated maturation into a band built on well-structured riffs, diversity, and accessibility.

Written on 10.07.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 393 users
10.07.2012 - 09:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
A six this is. Played extremely safe and totally oriented at radio airplay with too much Nickelback and post grunge in it. Still undeniably Baroness but an immensely watered down affair.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2012 - 10:14
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2012 at 09:59

A six this is. Played extremely safe and totally oriented at radio airplay with too much Nickelback and post grunge in it. Still undeniably Baroness but an immensely watered down affair.

Doesn't surprise me. Like I said, this is Baroness playing an extremely radio-friendly version of themselves. I find it well written in spite of that, though.

On the other hand, I really can't blame people for not liking this.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.07.2012 - 11:27
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
"Take My Bones Away" is stand out song of this album. rest, they are just above average.

Overall? somehow I enjoyed it. Probably, a great release I would say.
10.07.2012 - 11:50
afu
I watched an interview with John and Pete. They said that the Blue Album seemed to be about as far as they can take that style and still have it be interesting for them as musicians. Baroness has always had a 70's vibe under all the sludge. While this is much more accessible to non-metal listeners, it's hardly commercial. I hear a lot of psyche and prog. I also hear lots of swirling chorus and phaser set to stun while they layer on harmonies and play the shit out of their guitars. I hear a lot of out of tune vocals, too. I'd file this under Progressive Stoner Rock.
10.07.2012 - 11:59
And another one bites the dust...
10.07.2012 - 12:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by afu on 10.07.2012 at 11:50

I'd file this under Progressive Stoner Rock.

I don't hear any stoner ihere at all. yes, it's mellow, but not in a stoner sort of way.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2012 - 12:17
Void Eater
Account deleted

While this is much more accessible to non-metal listeners, it's hardly commercial.

Very true. This album is too... meandering I guess... to be commercial oriented-not too much focus on short songs with overblown catchy choruses, a lot of acoustic almost jam like stuff. Being a metal fan more than any other style of music, I can't say I enjoy this quite as much as Blue, but it's not really worse.

It feels so weird to be the one defending a band's change into non metal territory.

And also-

I don't hear the resembelence...
10.07.2012 - 12:35
Lokaeda
Account deleted
I don't mind bands evolving, but I just don't like it here. It's technically well-done, the musicians know their job, but I find it boring to death. One song (don't remember which one, it's around the middle-end of the Yellow part) even reminds me of Muse
10.07.2012 - 13:37
I never particularly liked their previous stuff so, for me, this is an improvement... Having said that, Relapse are clearly trying to turn them in something with more commercial appeal and they went along with it. We can debate about bands going "commercial" for eons, but it won't change the fact that the music is pretty mediocre... being commercial or not.
10.07.2012 - 14:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Second staff review where I disagree enough to make me feel like I need to express myself with a review of my own
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.07.2012 - 15:11
afu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2012 at 12:06

I'd file this under Progressive Stoner Rock.

I don't hear any stoner ihere at all. yes, it's mellow, but not in a stoner sort of way.

I was thinking it fit somewhere in between Monster Magnet's Spine of God and QOTSA's Rated R with a liberal dose of prog. I'm ok with being thought wrong if I am way off base, but it makes sense to me.
10.07.2012 - 15:28
afu
Written by Guest on 10.07.2012 at 12:17

While this is much more accessible to non-metal listeners, it's hardly commercial.

Very true. This album is too... meandering I guess... to be commercial oriented-not too much focus on short songs with overblown catchy choruses, a lot of acoustic almost jam like stuff. Being a metal fan more than any other style of music, I can't say I enjoy this quite as much as Blue, but it's not really worse.

It feels so weird to be the one defending a band's change into non metal territory.

I like Blue better, too. Considering how these guys have been, I don't expect the next album to sound like this one. The EPs were really trippy and kind of heavy. Red and Blue were really heavy and trippy. This one lightens it up overall and relies on being trippy more than being heavy. The biggest change for me is the melodic vocals. Other than their inability to carry a tune in a bucket, it doesn't bother me.
10.07.2012 - 15:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by afu on 10.07.2012 at 15:11

I was thinking it fit somewhere in between Monster Magnet's Spine of God and QOTSA's Rated R with a liberal dose of prog. I'm ok with being thought wrong if I am way off base, but it makes sense to me.

I love both that MM album and that QOTSA one but I myself really can't fit this Baroness one in between there AT ALL. Like I said I totally do not hear and sotner in this baroness album. So your compariso doesn't make any sense to em at all. But it apparently does make sense to you somehow.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2012 - 15:35
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 10.07.2012 at 12:17

Very true. This album is too... meandering I guess... to be commercial oriented-not too much focus on short songs with overblown catchy choruses, a lot of acoustic almost jam like stuff.

Which is why this album is also referred to as "indie" rather than commercial.
10.07.2012 - 15:48
Lit.
Account deleted
Next time, maybe they should stick with just one color.
10.07.2012 - 16:05
Unhealer
Eclecticist

Played extremely safe and totally oriented at radio airplay with too much Nickelback and post grunge in it.

I don't think that a band that leaves aside the sludge sound which they became known for in favor of a more accessible rock such as you describe is playing safe in any way. Playing safe would have been sticking with the same sound as the previous albums convincing conformist fans, this change was risky in a way.
10.07.2012 - 16:26
My2Cents
Marcel nailed it. This thing bores me to tears.
----
*insert quote that makes me look cultured here*
10.07.2012 - 16:30
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
These guys should see if Lou Reed is still interested in collaborating with metal bands. Boring beyond belief.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.07.2012 - 16:32
afu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2012 at 15:34

Written by afu on 10.07.2012 at 15:11

I love both that MM album and that QOTSA one but I myself really can't fit this Baroness one in between there AT ALL. Like I said I totally do not hear and sotner in this baroness album. So your compariso doesn't make any sense to em at all. But it apparently does make sense to you somehow.

Pill Shovel and Ozium From MM crossed with Auto Pilot and Better Living Through Chemistry by QOTSA as interpreted by the mutant clone of Steve Howe and Robin Trower. It's Progressive Stoner in that sense.
10.07.2012 - 16:55
pisymbol
Written by Unhealer on 10.07.2012 at 16:05

Played extremely safe and totally oriented at radio airplay with too much Nickelback and post grunge in it.

I don't think that a band that leaves aside the sludge sound which they became known for in favor of a more accessible rock such as you describe is playing safe in any way. Playing safe would have been sticking with the same sound as the previous albums convincing conformist fans, this change was risky in a way.

EXACTLY. Some reason finally seeping into the Metal Storm "this sucks because it has a somewhat mainstream appeal" mentality.

This IS an extremely risky album for them on several levels.

And after hearing the full stream on NPR, Doc really hit the nail on the head with this review. This is a very dynamic albeit rock oriented album.
10.07.2012 - 18:12
An album three years in the making summed up by 303 words in 5 paragraphs. Now that's the kind of simple-minded audacity that keeps me coming back to Metal Storm.net!
10.07.2012 - 18:22
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I love when bands challenge their limits and go in a different direction than the fans expected. Haven't listened to this one yet though. I pre-ordered it a while back and am waiting for my actual CD

But I have heard enough negative opinions so far to be a bit worried. Thanks, Doc, for spelling out exactly what's going on. Mostly I've just heard bitching and if your review is at all accurate then I can see why certain people would shy away from this... but I can also see why many people would love it anyway. It's still the same talented band it always was.

The only thing that made me really react negatively was your speculation that the "Savannah Sludge" scene was getting too crowded. Damn, I really hope that's not what Baroness thinks. One simply cannot get enough of that sound!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.07.2012 - 18:50
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.07.2012 at 16:30

These guys should see if Lou Reed is still interested in collaborating with metal bands. Boring beyond belief.

I wouldn't say beyond belief... but it is pretty boring. Perhaps what they need to spice up their discography is a Lulu of their own.
10.07.2012 - 19:59
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Susan on 10.07.2012 at 18:22

The only thing that made me really react negatively was your speculation that the "Savannah Sludge" scene was getting too crowded. Damn, I really hope that's not what Baroness thinks. One simply cannot get enough of that sound!!!

I've read a couple of interviews with Baizley and I think his words honestly reflect that they really needed to change their sound the way they did. I don't really see them changing their sound based on what other bands of the scene are doing or not
10.07.2012 - 21:03
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 10.07.2012 at 19:59

I've read a couple of interviews with Baizley and I think his words honestly reflect that they really needed to change their sound the way they did. I don't really see them changing their sound based on what other bands of the scene are doing or not

That of course makes sense; I totally respect when bands need to change their sound and grow and explore music. You can't just keep releasing the same album over and over, even if only for your own sanity.

But I just hope no band changes a good thing simply because they feel pushed out by other successful bands. Fuck em and keep on
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.07.2012 - 21:17
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Haven't heard it yet (thought it was coming out today. silly me.)

a continued change in sound is no surprise to me, there were already concerned voices when Blue wasn't as "hard" as Red, and they never were particularly hard to begin with. In interviews after Blue, BB was already stating that the record they listened to the most during the recording of Blue was Queen's "Day At The Races."

i don't mind shifts so long as bands find a way to keep it interesting. and i don't limit my opinion of "interesting" to just metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.07.2012 - 00:15
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 10.07.2012 at 10:14
this is Baroness playing an extremely radio-friendly version of themselves.

Yeah, not only did they move away from that Savannah sludge sound, they also moved away from Savannah itself.
12.07.2012 - 11:23
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

I love when bands challenge their limits and go in a different direction than the fans expected. Haven't listened to this one yet though. I pre-ordered it a while back and am waiting for my actual CD

But I have heard enough negative opinions so far to be a bit worried. Thanks, Doc, for spelling out exactly what's going on. Mostly I've just heard bitching and if your review is at all accurate then I can see why certain people would shy away from this... but I can also see why many people would love it anyway. It's still the same talented band it always was.

Well a lot of people got into Baroness coz of their signature sound. I agree with Craig here, Its cool they're experimenting with their sound, most bands do this and sometime it works and sometime it doesn't. I just didn't find it interesting. All I know is that its not really the Baroness I fell in love with. On the other hand, they will have a shit load of new fans on this one, just like Mastodon. I will give it a couple more listens though to see if it grows on me.

I really hope the change isn't coz the Savannah sludge scene is getting crowded, coz it isn't. I love that sound as well. I'm looking forward to the Kylesa album now.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
13.07.2012 - 04:10
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Spirit Molecule on 12.07.2012 at 11:23

I really hope the change isn't coz the Savannah sludge scene is getting crowded, coz it isn't. I love that sound as well. I'm looking forward to the Kylesa album now.

I'm not sure if the change is permanent or not. Some of the songs on the album are not new I don't think. From an in depth interview I read with John Baizley from Decibel magazine, he said that he had a bunch of poppy material that he described as creative demons he needed to exercise and get out of his system. I don't know if that means the next album will be a return to form or yet another change though.
14.07.2012 - 10:10
afu
After 6 or 7 spins, I can say I really like this, but some of the songs meander a bit. Those songs are kind of cinematic and would fit well as background music for a film, but as far as a listening experience, I think they lack a bit of spark. The songs that are good, are really good. I agree that an 8 is pretty close to the mark.

Hits total: 9722 | This month: 18