Additional musicians:
Michelle Villanueva - vocals
Tony Platt - programming
Xavier Russell - backing vocals
Brian Hewett - rap vocals, backing vocals

Guest review by
deadone
Rating:
In a genre where profanity and lyrics about violence is rather common, there are still some unmentionable things which offend the metal legions. Celtic Frost's Cold Lake is one of these unmentionables. It is regarded as one of metal's worst abominations, sharing a place in a pantheon of rubbish alongside such luminaries as Lulu, Load, Risk, Illud Divinum Insanus and The Unspoken King.

Read more ››
published 08.05.2014 | Comments (2)

Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 844 users
05.08.2012 - 19:49
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
What Gabriel was thinking??
28.09.2012 - 10:06
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Better than Panzerfaust.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.09.2012 - 10:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 28.09.2012 at 10:06

Better than Panzerfaust.

Mmm, no, but better than anything by Gallhammer for sure
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.09.2012 - 11:07
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.09.2012 at 10:23

Better than Panzerfaust.

Mmm, no, but better than anything by Gallhammer for sure

Ooh, that's a low blow. It is better than Gloomy Lights, though. Similar to Vanity/Nemesis and the less avant-garde parts of Into The Pandemonium.
----
28.09.2012 - 11:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 28.09.2012 at 11:07

Similar to Vanity/Nemesis and the less avant-garde parts of Into The Pandemonium.

I find Vanity/Nemesis superior to Cold Lake and all parts of Into The Pandemonium (which is in my opinion still one of the most overrated albums ever and really not that avantgarde at all) also supperior to this atrocity called Cold Lake.

And to make it clear I have always found Celtic Frost average at best and one of the most overrated bands ever. Thank God they were laughed out of the room when they first released their stuff
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.09.2012 - 11:21
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.09.2012 at 11:12

Similar to Vanity/Nemesis and the less avant-garde parts of Into The Pandemonium.

I find Vanity/Nemesis superior to Cold Lake and all parts of Into The Pandemonium (which is in my opinion still one of the most overrated albums ever and really not that avantgarde at all) also supperior to this atrocity called Cold Lake.

And to make it clear I have always found Celtic Frost average at best and one of the most overrated bands ever. Thank God they were laughed out of the room when they first released their stuff

I meant they were similar sylistically. Cold Lake is still the bottom of their discography, but it wasn't as bigger departure from their sound as people say. Pandemonium showed that they were already leaving the sound of Morbit Tales/To Mega Therion. And Nemesis is a great song. Good (light) thrash album.
----
28.09.2012 - 12:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This album is awful, and makes Metallica's Black Album seem like an absolute masterpiece in comparsion. Just a terrible album, although it's okay for providing a bit of amusement I guess!
28.09.2012 - 16:36
Maldoror
Account deleted
As a fan of early Celtic Frost I've been avoiding this album for years. When I finally found the courage to listen to it I was kind of surprised that it is not as crappy as I had expected. Nevertheless, this is still CF's worst release. The songs are dull and uninspired and most of the things I had liked about this band are missing. I think that their old fans were more pissed off by the change of their image and especially the terrible video for Cherry Orchards than the music itself.
01.10.2012 - 05:42
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 28.09.2012 at 16:36

As a fan of early Celtic Frost I've been avoiding this album for years. When I finally found the courage to listen to it I was kind of surprised that it is not as crappy as I had expected. Nevertheless, this is still CF's worst release.

Ditto.
----
02.12.2012 - 15:28
megadeath13
Account deleted
So bad that it hurts
28.04.2013 - 15:09
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
I find it amusing how somebody has the guts to say that Celtic Frost are overrated when you have a shitload of extreme metal bands that followed in their steps. Fuck, you got a shitload of black metal bands that developed their sound thanks to Celtic Frost/Hellhammer, and a lot of death metal bands as well.

Albums like To Megatherion, Into the Pandemonium and their last, Monotheist are nothing more, nothing less than masterpieces. Period. Even Tom's new project, Triptykon, proves to be a great one too, Eparistera Daimones is one hell of an album. If anything, Celtic Frost contributed enourmously to the development of the extreme metal genres.
04.04.2014 - 11:41
Rating: 2
Timelord
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 28.04.2013 at 15:09

I find it amusing how somebody has the guts to say that Celtic Frost are overrated when you have a shitload of extreme metal bands that followed in their steps. Fuck, you got a shitload of black metal bands that developed their sound thanks to Celtic Frost/Hellhammer, and a lot of death metal bands as well.

Albums like To Megatherion, Into the Pandemonium and their last, Monotheist are nothing more, nothing less than masterpieces. Period. Even Tom's new project, Triptykon, proves to be a great one too, Eparistera Daimones is one hell of an album. If anything, Celtic Frost contributed enourmously to the development of the extreme metal genres.

All I hear when some idiot goes into the "Overrated " diatribe is "I don't like it and you shouldn't either". Obviously there is a serious denial going on because Celtic Frost wasn't "overrated" . Along with Bathory they laid the groundwork for an ENTIRE genre that STILL cites Celtic Frost as a major influence. So by the "overrated" claim one must disregard the whole genre. YEAH OK! We get it ...blah blah overrated blah blah.....Turn on some Circle of the Tyrants to drown out this noise.

The main reasons that Tom G actually did this barbie doll version of Celtic Frost is: Money was owed to the record company and the most viable thing to make money was to try and get on that 80's mainstream formula. He also had a VERY difficult time that CF was always mentioned as an influence on the black metal church burnings. He blamed himself and distanced himself from that genre.
11.11.2014 - 10:14
WHY?
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
07.01.2015 - 13:54
Kuroboshi
Yeah, it's actually not that bad. Of course, not quality metal, but catchy at times. However, I think I will leave this album to rest after just one spin. I just came to see what the fuss was about.
08.01.2015 - 00:48
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.09.2012 at 11:12

Same feelings here. Imo, Bathory and Mercyful Fate were vastly superior to Celtic Frost and Venom.
Among those bands, Celtic Frost is the worst by far.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.01.2015 - 00:52
Lord_Regnier
Written by deadone on 29.04.2014 at 08:40

It's not bad for a sleazy thrashy metal album. And it's not a glam metal album - it's still far heavier than anything being put out by Motley Crue or Guns N Roses or Ratt at the time.

It might be heavier but it has the Glam attitude written all over it.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.01.2015 - 01:53
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by deadone on 08.01.2015 at 01:08

Written by Lord_Regnier on 08.01.2015 at 00:52

It might be heavier but it has the Glam attitude written all over it.

Only in some of the lyrics and song titles. Most of the actual lyrics are quite bizarre anyhow.

Musically it's the same attitude you find on Venom and most early 1980s metal.

More in the band imagery and concept behind the album than anything else...

I think the music isn't terrible but suffers the cult-band-drastically-changes-their-sound syndrome. Under another name it wouldn't have half the hate.
25.03.2015 - 16:00
me<3mertl

Better than Panzerfaust.

Huh?Panzerfaust is a 10/10 album,what are you talking about?
25.03.2015 - 17:41
Lit.
Account deleted

Better than To Mega Therion.

I don't know where the Panzerfaust comparison came from, but this I think is more accurate.
26.03.2015 - 08:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by me<3mertl on 25.03.2015 at 16:00

Better than Panzerfaust.

I'm talking about Panzerfaust being the single worst album I own and have ever listened to. The 4th album by The Runaways being a close 2nd.
----
26.03.2015 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 26.03.2015 at 08:50

I'm talking about Panzerfaust being the single worst album I own and have ever listened to. The 4th album by The Runaways being a close 2nd.

Impossible since you own and have listened to Gallhammer.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2015 - 15:06
me<3mertl

Written by me<3mertl on 25.03.2015 at 16:00

Better than Panzerfaust.

That's purely subjective. Panzerfaust is one of my all time favorites. I enjoy every song besides Snø Og Granskog (Utferd), which isn't really a song.
27.03.2015 - 09:33
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2015 at 13:25

Impossible since you own and have listened to Gallhammer.

Touché.
----
26.07.2015 - 17:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 29.04.2014 at 08:40

It's not bad for a sleazy thrashy metal album. And it's not a glam metal album - it's still far heavier than anything being put out by Motley Crue or Guns N Roses or Ratt at the time.

I certainly prefer it to Into The Pandemonium or Monotheist.

I hate the intro though with a passion.

European touch maybe, what is in US is not un Europe, we do all better and metal scene whit out Europe wont be so good
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.01.2018 - 20:19
VIG
Account deleted
I have seen some people say (not on here) that this is a very good album, just not usual Celtic Frost, but its not. It is not a good album, and the biggest problem with it for me is the production. It just sounds way too messy for this style.
10.05.2019 - 15:17
Rating: 5
gavdann
I never thought this album was as bad as the critics wanted us to believe. It's undoubtedly their worst release but it's not THAT bad.

Also despite the dodgy eye makeup and dodgy back-combed barnets, it never sounded like a glam-metal album either. That's something else the know-it-alls tried to force us to believe. It's just a very average thrash-metal album.
01.03.2020 - 15:28
Rating: 7
CakeN7
Of course it's the worst CF album by a country mile, no-one is ever going to deny that but if you listen to it for what it is I think it's unjustified being on worst 20.
04.03.2020 - 03:39
ickoriss
Made it about halfway through the 'Seduce Me Tonight' before I had to abort this shit. Good god, how did this record even happen?
01.03.2021 - 01:06
Scintil
They were so ahead of their times they even sold out before it was cool
25.03.2023 - 14:08
Rating: 3
Metal Addiction
I do not like classifying genres of metal. What I want to say is simple: good music is good music. But if a band is a representative figure in a certain genre or has too much expectation from fans, it would be totally a different story which means my premises would be empty words. Celtic Frost have "To Mega Therion" prior to this release. The "hair metal-like" style of music in this album cannot be acceptable to their fans. This album is blasphemy to their earlier works.

Hits total: 15441 | This month: 1