Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 4!

300, then 50, then 20. Now 10. We're drawing ever closer to figuring out Metal Storm's collective favorite album artwork!

We've changed the voting scheme around every round so far, how is this one going to work? Well, it's going to be a lot like last round, but instead it's going to be 5 and 5. 5 you like/are ok with/find least reprehensible, and 5 you want to see gone. 5 thumbs up, 5 thumbs down.

In order to have your votes counted, you MUST choose both 5 thumbs down, and 5 thumbs up. If you can only find 1 or 2 you'd give a thumbs up to, then fill out the remainder with the ones you find least ugly.

Here is the top 10:
Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod
Amorphis - Skyforger
Cormorant - Dwellings
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
Mastodon - Leviathan
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden

Tune in on August 22nd for Round 5 when we reveal the final 3!

Remember, only picks PM'd to Doc Godin will be counted.
Posted: 16.08.2012 by Doc G.

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 196   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 519 users
16.08.2012 - 10:58
Fredd
Account deleted
Wow.
16.08.2012 - 11:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Only 1 from the 3 I picked last round. And 2 that I own left.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.08.2012 - 11:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Amon Amarth and Amorphis STILL there? Oh man...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.08.2012 - 11:11
Fredd
Account deleted
Again. Here's the full version of Dwellings' artwork.

16.08.2012 - 11:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.08.2012 at 11:09

Would it make you even more upset to know that Amon Amarth beat out Esoteric by 1 point?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.08.2012 - 11:23
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 16.08.2012 at 11:19

Would it make you even more upset to know that Amon Amarth beat out Esoteric by 1 point?

What the fuck.
16.08.2012 - 11:36
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Damn, no Kvelertak. Oh well there are 5 which I think range from decent to good.
The Cormorant extended art is awesome!
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.08.2012 - 11:57
Hallford9000
Well, there is certainly an interesting mix out there. All covers resemble the music perfectly. We've got dreamy and melancholic artworks, creative and provocative and classics with an overused cheesey theme. I think I'll downvote the classics 'couse you see that far too often and they kinda lack of imagination. For me, the most important factor is creativity, the use of colour and creating depth through shades.
16.08.2012 - 12:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

...Why do you post? Ignorance is a bliss dude!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.08.2012 - 13:22
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Hey, Doc. If it's something simple like copy-paste, could you post the full results from round 1? I'm curuous as to what was nominated. And if anyone else liked Slania. And, again, Candlemass by Candlemass.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.08.2012 - 13:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Amon Amarth and .......STILL there? Oh man...

Hell Yes. I'm pushing up AA to that extent.
16.08.2012 - 14:45
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Great! Most of the album artwork thats left is very original and creative! That last round was a great idea!
16.08.2012 - 15:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
No Kvelertak, but StS made it, so I have one. I really hope AA doesn't win.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.08.2012 - 15:54
Abattoir
Staff
Well at least Opeth and Les Discret album artworks are still up on the list.
16.08.2012 - 16:00
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 16.08.2012 at 11:11

Again. Here's the full version of Dwellings' artwork.

If I knew there was a full version I would have voted for it a long time ago.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
16.08.2012 - 16:01
Kuroboshi
IMHO, Opeth's is the greatest. But all of them except Cormorant's are really nice.
16.08.2012 - 16:23
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I think (maybe wrong of course) that people are voting in some artworks, just because they're pretty, not because they had an historical importance in metal. So we got a list that's made of trendy recent bands. How can an important artwork such as Obituary's "Cause of Death" not be here?? Just tragic. At least At the Heart of Winter and Leviathan made it all way from the beginning which is nice.

From that list:

Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter +1 (this cover won several artwork of the year prices back in 1999, classical stuff and a classic BM album)
Mastodon - Leviathan +1 (the album that made it for Mastodon! concept work about Moby Dick, awesome painting!)
Amorphis - Skyforger +1 (least worse from the rest! the great comeback from Amorphis, the cool painting (too much photoshop for me) portrays the Kelevala)

Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod -1 (what's so important about this cover?? A viking, a hammer and a dragon in the ocean...)
Cormorant - Dwellings -1 (nice burtonesque painting, but who are these guys??)
Opeth - Blackwater Park -1 (grey painting with a tree and some shadows in the back...now really guys?)
16.08.2012 - 16:29
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 16.08.2012 at 16:23

I think (maybe wrong of course) that people are voting on some artworks, just because they're pretty, not because they had an historical importance in metal. So we got a list that's composed of trendy recent bands. How can an important artwork such as Obituary's "Cause of Death" not be here?? Just tragic. At least At the Heart of Winter and Leviathan made it all way from the beginning which is nice.

I think you missed the point. It wasn't Favourite Art from a monumental metal band.
It doesn't matter if the album was recorded in the drummers basement, didn't have a label and was heard by 5 people. If the artwork was good, it should have made it to this list. The list is not about historical importance to metal anyway. Also it's just a fun list at the end.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.08.2012 - 16:39
Unhealer
Eclecticist

Now this is why some terrible album covers made it to the previous round.

The ones that made it here are all good/average, I'm relieved it turned out this way. It will be hard to give some thumbs down.
16.08.2012 - 17:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I think (maybe wrong of course) that people are voting in some artworks, just because they're pretty,

Uhhhh... That's the whole point of this contest, bub.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.08.2012 - 17:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.08.2012 at 12:04

...Why do you post? Ignorance is a bliss dude!

damn, ignorance was indeed bliss
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2012 - 18:17
Zap

I think (maybe wrong of course) that people are voting in some artworks, just because they're pretty, not because they had an historical importance in metal. So we got a list that's made of trendy recent bands. How can an important artwork such as Obituary's "Cause of Death" not be here?? Just tragic. At least At the Heart of Winter and Leviathan made it all way from the beginning which is nice.

From that list:

Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter +1 (this cover won several artwork of the year prices back in 1999, classical stuff and a classic BM album)
Mastodon - Leviathan +1 (the album that made it for Mastodon! concept work about Moby Dick, awesome painting!)
Amorphis - Skyforger +1 (least worse from the rest! the great comeback from Amorphis, the cool painting (too much photoshop for me) portrays the Kelevala)

Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod -1 (what's so important about this cover?? A viking, a hammer and a dragon in the ocean...)
Opeth - Blackwater Park -1 (grey painting with a tree and some shadows in the back...now really guys?)

Wow I think this is the post on Metal Storm that I'd give an award for making me nauseous.

If Amon Amarth wins I will change my name to XxThor LoverxX or something like that.
16.08.2012 - 18:25
Oaken
Hipster

From that list:

I think you're supposed to thumb up 5 and thumb down 5 too.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
16.08.2012 - 18:43
Czerny Reiter
Esoteric's disqualification already made me lose interest in this gig's outcome. Not that I entertained any illusions from the outset but I see most of the covers being voted for as being interesting works but not outright art pieces. At least the worst clunkers are also gone.

Also, Dwellings' extended artwork absolutely rocks. Much more impressive than the captioned version.
16.08.2012 - 19:33
mz

I feel like a total asshole now because I was too lazy to have contribution here, Esoteric's was my between my top covers and AA's seem just like a total shit
Anyway here's my choices:
+1s:
At the heart of the winter
Blackwater park
Leviathan
dewllings
Septembre et Ses Dernières Pensées
-1s:
the rest esp AA's
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.08.2012 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well, still three extremely bad ones left: Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Immortal. It can't get more truly generic than those three.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2012 - 19:46
Edmund Fogg

I think (maybe wrong of course) that people are voting in some artworks, just because they're pretty, not because they had an historical importance in metal.

Dang! Some people understood the reason behind that contest... Pfft They suck!!
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
16.08.2012 - 19:57
Fredd
Account deleted

Musically, if that's what you want, they beat everything on this list.
16.08.2012 - 20:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

who cares who they are? this is about BEST album cover art. And their cover easily beats 99.99% of all ocver art out there in metal world.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2012 - 20:07
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Enemy Of Reality will see lots of notifications when he gets back online I'm predicting either Les Discrets or Cormorant as the winner...

Hits total: 14265 | This month: 19