05. Niche
06. Depresión
07. La Vaga Esperanza De Ser
08. Uaral

Top 20 albums of 2005: 18

Guest review by
Marcus
Rating:
After nine years as a band, Uaral released their debut album Sounds of Pain in 2005. Upon my first listening of this album, I was pleasantly surprised. Up until a few days ago I had never heard of them before, and after listening to this album I'm quite upset that I didn't listen to them sooner. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information on this band, and even their Myspace is void of anything resembling a biography and their website is completely useless. All I can tell you is Uaral is a duo, with Aciago playing all instruments and Caudal performing the vocals.

Read more ››
published 10.06.2009 | Comments (9)

Found in 28 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 653 users
19.10.2012 - 00:24
Rating: 9
Hooman
This album sounds like pain!
26.10.2012 - 14:30
Rating: 10
Noctural
Depresion is an amazing masterpiece...
08.12.2012 - 09:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 07.12.2012 at 21:54

Excellent instrument playing, nice melancholic atmosphere. But Uaral! Those crying vocals are just unbearable, even if its doom,. Give me a break

I completely agree. I love the acoustic guitars so much that they makes me forget the fact that the growls and screams are just awful. If they just kept the dark folk-like vocals they would have been one of my favorite bands of all time tbh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2012 - 06:05
Evil Chip
Quote:
Quote:

I completely agree. I love the acoustic guitars so much that they makes me forget the fact that the growls and screams are just awful. If they just kept the dark folk-like vocals they would have been one of my favorite bands of all time tbh.

Maybe if it was more subtle in the mix like many bands do to cover it up. Still I think it is a hell of a record. Which is odd because the growls are very misplaced sometimes (like at the end of the second song).
09.01.2013 - 01:07
Erik M.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.12.2012 at 09:26

I too like pretty much everything about the music, but I also don't like those insane and ridiculous screams/growls. I don't dislike them all the time though, but still... they took "sounds of pain" a little too literal if you ask me.
14.01.2013 - 14:36
Erik M.
Damn, this could've been a 10/10 if it wasn't for the misplaced/bad growls every now and then. Also, the beginning and ending with the crying (growls/screams) ruins it for me. Ignoring all that, and it's still an excellent album, since the music is just amazing.

Edit: forgot what I said before. This album is so awesome it deserves a 10/10 (though the screams still suck).
10.05.2013 - 00:43
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Erik M. on 14.01.2013 at 14:36

Damn, this could've been a 10/10 if it wasn't for the misplaced/bad growls every now and then. Also, the beginning and ending with the crying (growls/screams) ruins it for me. Ignoring all that, and it's still an excellent album, since the music is just amazing.

Edit: forgot what I said before. This album is so awesome it deserves a 10/10 (though the screams still suck).

How can you give something a "perfect" rating if you think a part of the music sucks?
10.05.2013 - 00:56
Erik M.
Written by Alex F on 10.05.2013 at 00:43

How can you give something a "perfect" rating if you think a part of the music sucks?

Good point. I'll explain it to you: despite the fact that the growls/screams are pretty bad, they don't bother me a lot. And a perfect score doesn't mean it's a perfect album, because no album is perfect. A 10/10 rating means it's a masterpiece, which I definitely think it is. If I'd truly give it a more specific rating it would be something between a 9.6 and 9.9 (since I'd probably subtract a few "points" for those growls/screams), but since MS doesn't give that option (which isn't strange at all), you wouldn't really know the difference between a 9.5 and 10, unless you write a review.
10.05.2013 - 01:11
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Erik M. on 10.05.2013 at 00:56

Good point. I'll explain it to you: despite the fact that the growls/screams are pretty bad, they don't bother me a lot. And a perfect score doesn't mean it's a perfect album, because no album is perfect. A 10/10 rating means it's a masterpiece, which I definitely think it is. If I'd truly give it a more specific rating it would be something between a 9.6 and 9.9 (since I'd probably subtract a few "points" for those growls/screams), but since MS doesn't give that option (which isn't strange at all), you wouldn't really know the difference between a 9.5 and 10, unless you write a review.

It was just that you said the vocals "suck" which made me think your decision might be flawed. Your logic makes perfect sense to me, obviously every album has at least some area that could be improved upon.
10.05.2013 - 01:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think 10s are often given out as a representation of what that release means to a person, rather than rating it what you think it's worth. I've given out quite a few 10s to albums where I think they have weaknesses or tracks that I never listen to. Ultimately albums are more than the sum of their parts.
10.05.2013 - 02:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 10.05.2013 at 01:16

I think 10s are often given out as a representation of what that release means to a person, rather than rating it what you think it's worth. I've given out quite a few 10s to albums where I think they have weaknesses or tracks that I never listen to. Ultimately albums are more than the sum of their parts.

I give 10's to my absolute favourite albums. Albums that I can play without ever getting bored.

For example,

I gave Woods Of Ypres's first Ep a 10/10 as it currently has over 500 plays according to my ITunes. It still intrigues me a lot, and I still listen to it constantly.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.06.2013 - 12:05
Death_95
Pain, grief and beauty...
14.09.2013 - 15:39
Teddy Red
You Guys Know Nothing About Music and Vocals

Vocals and Screams are Awesome

This Album Is Perfect
10.11.2013 - 22:34
Rating: 8
qlacs
"The Quaker"
It is definitely a good album, even though I have to agree on the vocals, and the beginning is a bit short on composing.

04. Sounds Of Pain...
05. Niche
06. Depresión

These three are amazing
----
20.12.2013 - 15:16
diy
This is not just a burst of excitement,i've listened to their 2 albums for almost 8 or 9 years,i think i can surely say they really deserve more than 10 (in my opinion)
20.12.2013 - 15:33
Rating: 7
mz
Could well be one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard which manage to almost ruin and otherwise excellent music.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
20.12.2013 - 23:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by mz on 20.12.2013 at 15:33
Could well be one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard which manage to almost ruin and otherwise excellent music.

The thing that pissed me off is that I actually enjoy the way he does the low clean vocals which reminds me a lot of some chilean folk I listened when I lvied there.
If he just did clean vocals it would have been so good...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.12.2013 - 08:12
mz
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.12.2013 at 23:16

The thing that pissed me off is that I actually enjoy the way he does the low clean vocals which reminds me a lot of some chilean folk I listened when I lvied there.
If he just did clean vocals it would have been so good...

Agreed. Minimal, low clean vocals really suit their music but damn those growls/screams

Still, I think this sort of acoustic driven folk/doom is not well explored. More great music can come out from this niche.
----
13.01.2014 - 10:37
mz
Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 22:10

imagine this album but with vocals more like empyrium's... fuck

----
13.01.2014 - 21:30
Lit.
Account deleted
The music's not that redeemable, either. Super average album.
13.01.2014 - 21:52
mz
^ NAH
----
01.02.2014 - 21:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Is this band still active, MA and Spanish wiki says it splits up at 2013, is there any good link for MS standarts to do split up eddits
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.02.2014 - 22:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2014 at 21:22
Is this band still active, MA and Spanish wiki says it splits up at 2013, is there any good link for MS standarts to do split up eddits

I couldn't find anything aside from some people following a presumably unofficial Facebook page asking about new material but no mention of any official split. Unless the band members themselves edited that Wiki page I doubt it's legit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.02.2014 - 22:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.02.2014 at 22:02

I couldn't find anything aside from some people following a presumably unofficial Facebook page asking about new material but no mention of any official split. Unless the band members themselves edited that Wiki page I doubt it's legit.

band fficial FBis like 2 posts and I did not use wiki and MA, (since wiki has no any references and also band members has no any links and record lable link is dead) so I did not eddit (I am not totl retard)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.08.2014 - 00:05
telephonebear
Account deleted
Some of the growls sound more like a kettle boiling, but depresion is an amazing piece of melancholy and i really like the music. i dont hate the vocals that much but they are a little off putting.
19.09.2014 - 22:22
MetalAce
The Eternal
Great performing, I just enjoyed the way he sounds clean, then, guitar works make you cry, so beautiful, so emotional...
24.07.2018 - 13:25
Rating: 8
nonZero
Quite a strange album. Mostly Neofolk acoustic passages coupled with deep growls. A great exploration of depression personified in audio form, if a little overlong and monotonous in places. A shorter length may have boosted my rating up to a 9.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
04.01.2021 - 06:14
Eltote

there are not official statements of the band on the issue, but it is very likely that aciago (all instruments), has been active by the name of "caminante silencioso" in a one man neofolk/ambient project called imbaru, the project is also from chile and there are tremendous similarities in the music and aesthetics with uaral, this project has been around since 2011 and has realesed 6 lps to the date.
06.07.2021 - 12:43
toussa
Thank you dude, i went to check imbaru, and it's approved ! And it remind me Aquilus also for those accoustics/sympho parts from them, which is a pretty good comparison ^^
01.02.2022 - 12:21
antvre
Written by Eltote on 04.01.2021 at 06:14

there are not official statements of the band on the issue, but it is very likely that aciago (all instruments), has been active by the name of "caminante silencioso" in a one man neofolk/ambient project called imbaru, the project is also from chile and there are tremendous similarities in the music and aesthetics with uaral, this project has been around since 2011 and has realesed 6 lps to the date.

holy shit i had no idea

Hits total: 16154 | This month: 49