04. Vicious Circle
05. Hypnotized
06. Tlaluc's Grace
07. Burden Of Divinity
08. Cave Behind The Waterfall
09. A.E.O.N. 19th
10. Bestiality vs. Integrity
11. Clerics Emotion

Visions Of Atlantis is usually lumped in with the "female-fronted symphonic metal" bands, not-so-affectionately known sometimes as "corset-core." I think that term is hilarious but in this particular case it might be a misnomer.

For starters, it's hardly "female-fronted" since clean singing is performed by both a male and a female, split pretty evenly. For another thing they both have voices that lean more towards rock than classical music. Usually the two are in harmony, which creates a powerful dynamic for their tunes.

Not to say this isn't symphonic. Oh, don't worry, it is. It's just less so than their previous works. They really push the line here between symphonic metal and straight up heavy metal. On Ethera the keyboard does not dominate nearly as much as it did on 2011's Delta; the riffs and rhythms are really paramount. High-energy rockers plus some slightly cheesy ballads make for a really nice flow here. It's a classic formula with fun, catchy melodies.

If you're a fan of Visions Of Atlantis you may or may not enjoy this change. They shaved away some of the epic, some of the bombastic, and some of the seriousness, but what you get in return is a bit more edge, more metal, and more fun. It's most definitely still the same band except it just seems simpler, stripped down a few layers closer to its core perhaps.

I might go so far as to say that this could appeal to more than just fans of symphonic metal. There is something about how straightforward this band has become that may widen their appeal and turn a few hard-hearted metalheads to the dark side. Or? the light side? Whatever. It's just a rockin' fun listen, nothing more nothing less.

Ethera comes out this Friday, March 22nd, on Napalm Records.

Written on 19.03.2013 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 295 users
19.03.2013 - 01:56
Ap46

I like 'em, with Melissa Ferlaak they were pretty much sympho , but with Nils they've become more like a two singer fronted metal band, as you said. It's a bit refreshing indeed.
19.03.2013 - 02:39
Unhealer
Eclecticist
CORSET-CORE. Gotta love those labels .
Well, now that you got me to read this I guess I'll try it...
19.03.2013 - 05:14
Rating: 5
R'Vannith
ghedengi
From your review this actually sounds promising, as far as symphonic metal goes I've always considered this band to fit the definition of "generic."
19.03.2013 - 05:20
Susan
Smeghead
Written by R'Vannith on 19.03.2013 at 05:14

From your review this actually sounds promising, as far as symphonic metal goes I've always considered this band to fit the definition of "generic."

I totally agree, and this isn't necessarily pushing them up to a new level with their music but at least it's fun and a little different.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
19.03.2013 - 05:26
Rating: 5
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Susan on 19.03.2013 at 05:20

Written by R'Vannith on 19.03.2013 at 05:14

I totally agree, and this isn't necessarily pushing them up to a new level with their music but at least it's fun and a little different.

And sometimes that bit of fun and slight turn of style is all that's needed to make more of an impression.
19.03.2013 - 09:17
Rating: 6
annodomini

Well, I still don't know am I disappointed or not. This is definitely more progressive aproach and less catchy. Actually I found only two songs that has true cathyness, other are more oriented in instrumental work and atmosphere. I like the new guitar player, in some cases the sound of guitar reminds me of Paradise Lost or Lake of Tears. But somehow I liked the vocals better in Delta. Here it is stronger, but vocal lines were more memorable in Delta. And still they can not surpass "Trinity" ;/
----
the riddle wants to be...
19.03.2013 - 09:29
PocketMetal

I'm not having high hopes but have to check this out and see for myself , looks like this one will get a variety of scores here and there .
19.03.2013 - 11:00
Hellbrann

Not sure if this is my cupp of tea. I really like bombastic symphonic music, and Delta delivered that. Until now VoA is still remaining in the mediocrity-hall of fame, and I think they will be stuck there for a while for me.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
19.03.2013 - 17:37
CyberSymphony
Ollie
A nice, simple and straight to the point review. I will probably listen fully to Ethera, but I wasn't impressed with the track samples.
19.03.2013 - 23:49
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I am going to give this listen. Thanks for the review, Susan!
----
(space for rent)
20.03.2013 - 01:31
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Hellbrann on 19.03.2013 at 11:00

mediocrity-hall of fame

Excellent phrase

I can think of several bands that this phrase describes perfectly!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
20.03.2013 - 08:10
annodomini

Written by CyberSymphony on 19.03.2013 at 17:37

A nice, simple and straight to the point review. I will probably listen fully to Ethera, but I wasn't impressed with the track samples.

That's an interesting case with VoA's samples. Delta samples sounded just amazing. I thought it will be their best, but when full album came it was disappointing. This time samples sounded weak indeed, but the whole thing is a bit better than you can expect.
----
the riddle wants to be...
21.03.2013 - 01:52
Rating: 8
renai

Well... here's another symphonic operatic sopranic metal band "go public" to appeal free-er world. Oh how come the bombastic opera genre fade away now..
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
22.03.2013 - 13:20
Rhiannon
Account deleted
I need to check this out... I stopped following them after Trinity, which was very mediocre imo. If it's really more heavy and less Nightwish-clone, it might be good.

edit: sounds generic and boring... some good melodies here and there, but ruined by the uninspired vocals. avoid.

Hits total: 7696 | This month: 16