04. Numb
05. Pages
06. Repay
07. Chaos [feat. Jorn Viggo Lofstad]
08. Remembrance
09. Overload
10. Void
11. Blame

For a band like DGM momentum is essential. Their band name was taken from the initials of founding members Diego Reali, Gianfranco Tassela, and Maurizio Pariotti who have since departed from the line-up. Momentum is what has carried the band on despite such losses and they continue to deliver another set of melodic progressive metal of the catchiest kind in Momentum. A fitting title for what should garner the attention they deserve.

Perpetually in motion their music is progressive in the sense that it proceeds in a clearly defined direction. While said direction is of a generic homogeneity given its tight focus on musicianship it works astonishingly well to instill variance within its parameters. Generic progressive metal seems like an oxymoron but is thoroughly expressed in the style of DGM. It falls within that technically mindful kind of prog that Dream Theater has come to signify and sounds most similar to Symphony X.

Yet of this kind of progressive metal there is no finer representative than DGM who continue to write some of the most straightforward yet irresistible progressive metal available. Each virtuoso handles their respective instruments with undeniable talent and precision, which creates the drive behind their sound. Each track falls within a similar scope and compositional structure and each note with the same careful consideration of placement as a row of dominoes, like those which feature on the album cover. As each domino falls you know exactly what it is and what it's doing yet the particular paths in which DGM have lined them up are engaging to witness.

The most interesting avenues the album takes are manifested in the vocal work of Mark Basile, as well as guest Russel Allen in the opener "Reason." With hooks aplenty to be found in the exceptional guitar work alone each track is given enough of a differing approach to keep a constant level of interest, Viggo Lofstad of Pagan's Mind contributes to such an end in "Chaos."

Basile's voice makes things very memorable with his expressive delivery despite the uniformity of style within which he performs. The drumming, keyboards, and bass are all performed to a high standard and given ample space to flesh out the album in equal measure. Distinguishable features scattered throughout the tracks aid in making each one more identifiable from the rest, such as the symphonic backdrop of "Universe", the soft touch of "Repay" and the near neoclassical rendition of rapid riffs in the thoroughly Symphony X-styled "Overload."

Well performed with an excellent mixing this is an album which is best suited to the prog fan with a taste for metal of the eloquently streamlined kind.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 29.03.2013 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 201 users
29.03.2013 - 12:27
Fredd
Account deleted
Yep. Pretty nice.
29.03.2013 - 13:27
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Great! The description really hooked me. Will definitely check this out if these guys are virtuosos. Would be really nice to listen to some good prog, even if "generic" scares me off a little.

Great review; by now you style is recognizable, R'Vannith.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.03.2013 - 21:21
Stabby
Account deleted
Sounds right up my alley, I don't balk at the generic and catchy
30.03.2013 - 14:24
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by K✞ulu on 29.03.2013 at 13:27

Great! The description really hooked me. Will definitely check this out if these guys are virtuosos. Would be really nice to listen to some good prog, even if "generic" scares me off a little.

Written by Guest on 29.03.2013 at 21:21

Honestly guys don't let the fact that I'd call it generic put you off at all, it's a really energetic kind of prog with a lot of melody built in. Damn near irresistible from the get go I think!
31.03.2013 - 07:33
Susan
Smeghead
My interest is definitely piqued. I didn't get much from the prog output of last year and I guess I'm really in the mood for some prog to actually move me! This seems absolutely worth a try. Plus the cover are is intriguing....
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.04.2013 - 14:22
Mariocalin

It´s a great one, but I prefer the 2009 record.

Good Job!!
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
06.04.2013 - 02:20
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 30.03.2013 at 14:24

Written by K✞ulu on 29.03.2013 at 13:27

Written by Guest on 29.03.2013 at 21:21

Honestly guys don't let the fact that I'd call it generic put you off at all, it's a really energetic kind of prog with a lot of melody built in. Damn near irresistible from the get go I think!

I agree, it's ridiculously catchy and flashy but not really ground-breaking. In my world that's still worth listening to though. Since I've listened to everything bands like Circus Maximus, Symphony X and Pagan's Mind have released numerous times, this sort of thing is welcome. And it's not like it's a rip-off, these are still new songs.
06.04.2013 - 15:34
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 06.04.2013 at 02:20

I agree, it's ridiculously catchy and flashy but not really ground-breaking. In my world that's still worth listening to though. Since I've listened to everything bands like Circus Maximus, Symphony X and Pagan's Mind have released numerous times, this sort of thing is welcome. And it's not like it's a rip-off, these are still new songs.

They have their own style I'd say just not the really adventurous kind. Despite that though, it is a blast to listen too!
09.04.2013 - 13:55
Ivor
Staff
I don't know. I can't see what's so great about this album or the band. Three songs in and I'm already feeling the tedious nature of the music. Kind of disappointing after reading this review. It's not bad but this type of prog has always been a tiresome listening experience. Few have caught my interest in this style. This is not one of the few.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
10.04.2013 - 12:31
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Ivor on 09.04.2013 at 13:55

I don't know. I can't see what's so great about this album or the band. Three songs in and I'm already feeling the tedious nature of the music. Kind of disappointing after reading this review. It's not bad but this type of prog has always been a tiresome listening experience. Few have caught my interest in this style. This is not one of the few.

I.

This sort of prog is often my kind of "quick fix". Albums like these immediately grab my attention but they don't really expand anywhere. I doubt that it will grow on you if it doesn't appeal from the outset, I'd say it's a take it or leave it style which has a lot to do with how melodic it is and its focus on the musicianship. At the risk of downplaying what I've said in the review, as I do enjoy this one, it is very simplified in comparison to other styles you might expect of prog metal. I like their take on the power/prog blend, seems to work on the right levels for that sort of metal.

Hits total: 8775 | This month: 15