11 - Slaves Shall Serve
    12 - Chant For ΕΣΧΗΑΤΟΝ 2000
    13 - 23 (The Youth Manifesto)
    14 - Lucifer
02. The Satanist: Oblivion

Top 20 albums of 2014: 3

Additional info
Deluxe box set includes:
  • Black 10" boxset (with gold hot foil & UV gloss lamination).
  • CD/DVD digibook in silver mirror slipcase (44 page booklet).
  • Supersize posterflag (approx 3x5 feet).
  • Black wooden inverted rosary cross.
  • Metal pin.
  • Black communion waffles in black envelope.

Produced by Behemoth.
    Co-produced by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy and Daniel Bergstrand.
    Engineered by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy.
    Drum tech by Urban Näsvall.
    Recorded at Hertz Studio by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy, February-June 2013 e.v.
    Additional recording at Dug-Out, Radio Gdańsk, Sounsgreat Studio.
    Mixed by Matt Hyde at Hideaway Studio, Los Angeles, August-September 2013 e.v.
    Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, September-October 2013 e.v.

All art and calligraphy by Denis Forkas.

The excerpt from Witold Gombrowicz's 'Ślub' in the song 'In The Abscence Ov Light' used with the kind permission of Rita Gombrowicz.

• Staff review by
    wormdrink414
    Rating:
    Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to.

Read more ››
    published 12.02.2014 | Comments (215)

Guest review by
    flightoficarus
    Rating:
    What's my favorite scary movie? The Shining. With its subtle, psychological terror and slow-build that only Kubrick can pull off, it's a masterpiece. Sure, I get down with the gore-ridden creature features too. Everything from Evil Dead to Friday the 13th is cool in my book. Why is this relevant? Aliens. Okay, now you are more confused. Let me elaborate further. I think a lot of long-time fans come to a Behemoth album expecting a certain level of violence. Demigod, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus; these classics are the "Aliens" of the Behemoth discography. Explosions, flame-throwers, disembowelment, "Game over man, game over!" I'm right with you, popcorn ready. The Satanist, on the other hand, is "Alien." Swarms of xenomorphs are replaced with a single, lurking threat in the shadows. The emphasis is on tension as each innocent is picked off one by one and dragged to their grim (and unseen) demise. While both styles are equally valid, I find the imagination to be a far darker place than anything directly fed to my senses.

Read more ››
    published 09.02.2015 | Comments (42)

Starting with Demigod, Behemoth's albums became more and more soulless. Faster, more brutal, better produced, but devoid of feelings. But no more. This one is spontaneous, wild, unhinged and unpredictable. It has more music than brutality, more feeling than calculation. A fantastic treat.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 111 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 9 / 10

Comments: 278   Visited by: 2430 users
    01.06.2014 - 13:33
    Kraterr
    Account deleted
    The only song I loved in the whole thing was the last one ' O Father O Satan O Sun! '... And I gotta say that's one of the best songs I've ever heard, mind you I am not a big fan of death metal nor black metal. But that one song blew me the fuck away after 8 songs of mediocre/borderline good stuff..

6/10 would have been my rating, but the last song kinda "saved" the album for me and it gets a 7/10

I can't stress the need to tell every metal listener you know of to listen to ' O Father O Satan O Sun! ' immediately.
    01.06.2014 - 19:46
    Rating: 8
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Staff
    Took the words right out of my mouth Kraterr. I seldom listen to any of these songs but love that closer. It's the same with Evangelion - I only really listen to Lucifer, the rest of the songs just don't interest me.

I feel like my friends who only listen to singles on the radio. What am I doing with my life.
    ----
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    09.06.2014 - 17:26
    Deadmeat
    Necrobutcher
    Ok this is bad for behemoth imo. their worst album of the last 15 years imo. a very very low 8... only their black metal albums are worse imo...
    ----
    Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
    26.06.2014 - 22:00
    Rating: 5
    Ilham
    Giant robot
    Written by Guest on 01.06.2014 at 13:33

The only song I loved in the whole thing was the last one ' O Father O Satan O Sun! '... And I gotta say that's one of the best songs I've ever heard, mind you I am not a big fan of death metal nor black metal. But that one song blew me the fuck away after 8 songs of mediocre/borderline good stuff..
    6/10 would have been my rating, but the last song kinda "saved" the album for me and it gets a 7/10
    I can't stress the need to tell every metal listener you know of to listen to ' O Father O Satan O Sun! ' immediately.

It's funny, I gave up on the album at the seventh song, and told myself "You really don't have to feel guilty for voting this a 6 without completely listening to. It's boring, doesn't have one highlight, doesn't stir my loins like some of their older work. Leave it there. And never turn back." But then I saw your comment, came back to listen to the last two songs. But that one good bit doesn't save the rest of the very stale loaf. It's still a 6 for me .
    27.06.2014 - 14:40
    LeKiwi
    High Fist Prog
    It's certainly not average, but it's nothing special either. I quite enjoyed the ferocity early on in the album, probably why I gave this a 7. I think there's far too much unwarranted hate for the band.
    06.10.2014 - 11:42
    Rating: 6
    Not really feeling this one. Oh well.
    ----
    "You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
    22.10.2014 - 16:52
    Rating: 10
    flightoficarus
    Stamp Tramp
    I hate this metal-hipster mentality that seems to dictate that something new is just not cool or "metal" enough. While it is true that some groups shine a lot brighter early on, it is also true that some bands either grow and mature beyond an awkward stage or progress into a completely different style. This album is incredible on a musical level, period. I don't expect everyone to agree, but rather than hearing intelligent arguments, all I see it "it's not the same," or "it's meh," or "I only liked so and so song." Take a minute and really appreciate the dynamics at work here. Are you going to sit there and tell me you think Thelema 6 is truly a better album? And if you do, can you honestly say that your opinion is not largely biased by the fact that it came first?
    ----
    Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
    Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
    22.10.2014 - 20:41
    Ilham
    Giant robot
    Written by flightoficarus on 22.10.2014 at 16:52

Are you going to sit there and tell me you think Thelema 6 is truly a better album? And if you do, can you honestly say that your opinion is not largely biased by the fact that it came first?

Yes. And no.
    22.10.2014 - 21:03
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    I'm curious to know who the comments about this not being "cool" or ""metal"" is aimed at. I see a bunch of people who both like and dislike it for entirely valid reasons. Until Mr. Flightoficarus86 qualifies such a statement I will make a complaint of my own: I hate this angry, butt-hurt attitude of some people who attempt to discredit people's not-so-favourable opinions by ascribing false reasoning, if not outright logical fallacies and lies, to their points of view in an attempt to validate his or her own opinions. You clearly aren't very comfortable with your own thoughts on music if you have to outright misrepresent what everyone is saying as well as ad hom-ing people with the "hipster" rhetoric nonsense.

People don't need to proffer "intelligent arguments" when it's simply their opinion, and furthermore, patronising commentary like "Take a minute and really appreciate the dynamics at work here. Are you going to sit there and tell me you think Thelema 6 is truly a better album? And if you do, can you honestly say that your opinion is not largely biased by the fact that it came first?" does not constitute an intelligent argument, rather it reeks of someone who wants to be considered above others and is far too ready to jump to wild accusations to get that status (i.e. your opinion being the only right one).
    22.10.2014 - 21:20
    flightoficarus
    Stamp Tramp
    I apologize for my post coming off as elitist. I have strong feelings about this album, but as I said I am okay with people not liking it. I just see this happening a lot on various forums and review sites where people start downvoting and complaining about upvotes simply because it's not the same as their old stuff. We have all seen it around. I am embarrassed that this was my introduction to posting here. I take full responsibility and will straighten my shit.
    ----
    22.10.2014 - 21:32
    Ilham
    Giant robot
    Written by flightoficarus on 22.10.2014 at 21:20

I apologize for my post coming off as elitist. I have strong feelings about this album, but as I said I am okay with people not liking it. I just see this happening a lot on various forums and review sites where people start downvoting and complaining about upvotes simply because it's not the same as their old stuff. We have all seen it around. I am embarrassed that this was my introduction to posting here. I take full responsibility and will straighten my shit.

Well you sound a lot more reasonable right now. It's just that most of the time - at least here - when people express a negative opinion, it just means that for a reason or another they didn't like the album.

I personally took one point out of my original rating after a couple of months. I just couldn't make it to the end without forcing myself to, and that happened the three times I listened to it. This wasn't done just now just to spite you or anything.
    22.10.2014 - 22:21
    flightoficarus
    Stamp Tramp
    Written by Ilham on 22.10.2014 at 21:32

Written by flightoficarus on 22.10.2014 at 21:20

Well you sound a lot more reasonable right now. It's just that most of the time - at least here - when people express a negative opinion, it just means that for a reason or another they didn't like the album.

I personally took one point out of my original rating after a couple of months. I just couldn't make it to the end without forcing myself to, and that happened the three times I listened to it. This wasn't done just now just to spite your or anything.

It's all good. To each his own. I just listened to it again yesterday and it actually grows on me more. What is your fav album of this year so far?
    ----
    23.10.2014 - 06:16
    Mattybu
    Written by Guest on 22.10.2014 at 21:03

People don't need to proffer "intelligent arguments" when it's simply their opinion

BOULLSEYE

Really, ya hit the nail on the head.
    11.11.2014 - 11:48
    Jaeryd
    Nihil's Maw
    For how much I just think this album is merely decent, I end up listening to it far more often than I would expect. I will say that I do enjoy the opening song, as well as Furor Divinus, Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer, and the closer. But as a whole, the album just seems sort of... there.

The album is not really doing too much for me, but apparently it's doing just enough as I keep listening to the damn thing.
    ----
    03.12.2014 - 06:40
    Rating: 9
    MyNameJeff
    I just keep coming back to this album! Very listenable from start to finish, excellent performances (esp. vocals) and a stellar production (dat bass). My favorite Behemoth album. This is a very catchy album that has grown on me a lot.
    27.12.2014 - 14:09
    Mehdi Taba
    Mehdi Taba
    Everything is changed in this album; style, sound, creativity, voice, guitar sound...
    They came back to their roots about 16 years!
    I think it's their weakest album after 16 years!
    By the way it's a Death Black Metal album!
    "7.7"
    09.02.2015 - 18:32
    Rating: 7
    Hex_Omega
    Gem Seeker
    Written by Mehdi Taba on 27.12.2014 at 14:09

By the way it's a Death Black Metal album!

Indeed. Should be tagged as Blackened Death Metal.
    11.02.2015 - 15:23
    Rating: 6
    Sang Dalang Abu
    Good album? seriously? more I listening to this satanisttttt .....
    ......boring.
    12.02.2015 - 00:19
    Fearmeister
    Account deleted
    Boring album? seriously? more I listening to this satanisttttt .....
    ......good.
    12.02.2015 - 00:25
    Karlabos
    Meat and Potatos
    Written by Guest on 12.02.2015 at 00:19

......great.

you should have said "good" in the end, then the posts would look with just a a word swapped.
    ----
    "Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
    - Reimu Hakurei
    12.02.2015 - 01:58
    Fearmeister
    Account deleted
    Written by Karlabos on 12.02.2015 at 00:25

Written by Guest on 12.02.2015 at 00:19

......great.

you should have said "good" in the end, then the posts would look with just a a word swapped.

Damn, I'm not clever enough for myself
    21.08.2015 - 09:14
    Rsrdaman
    Holy mother of hell, talk about a shitstorm in the comments... Not really surprising though. This is a Behemoth album. Some people are going to shit on it no matter what the quality. But hey, its the cool thing to do these days.
    03.10.2015 - 20:25
    Zap
    Written by Guest on 03.10.2015 at 19:10

Still find them musically weak. However their live performance tonight was sick and will gladly pay up to see them again.

Definitely one of those bands that's far more interesting live.
    03.10.2015 - 20:28
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Seconded. Glad I saw them before this album got made.
    04.10.2015 - 04:57
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Zap on 03.10.2015 at 20:25

Written by Guest on 03.10.2015 at 19:10

Still find them musically weak. However their live performance tonight was sick and will gladly pay up to see them again.

Definitely one of those bands that's far more interesting live.

And I missed them last night. Had to be at another event. Never caught them live. Oh well, maybe next time.
    ----
    The sun shines over The Fool...
    05.02.2016 - 11:41
    Rating: 7
    Tomas Piller
    Written by Ace Frawley on 04.10.2015 at 04:57

And I missed them last night. Had to be at another event. Never caught them live. Oh well, maybe next time.

Brutal Assault 2016?
    06.02.2016 - 11:02
    NoxStorM
    Mostly this is the best Behemoth Album for me .. i was not a big fan of them before but this album caught my attention to give these guys what they deserve ,, i see them getting more mature and professional ,, Vocalling is more intense , Inferno is definitely the best drummer in the scene .. i think Behemoth is more bright in the less speedy songs , they are creative and performance is better , music and lyrics is matching with a good harmony , the album sounds like the classic stuff , i got the same feeling like Dissection (Storm of the lights bane) , i totally understand it might be different than their other albums which may annoy the loyal Behemoth fans , but in my opinion from a music and performance standpoints it is a great album
    06.02.2016 - 12:00
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Tomas Piller on 05.02.2016 at 11:41

Written by Ace Frawley on 04.10.2015 at 04:57

Brutal Assault 2016?

I wish. I'm in Australia, so the chances of being in the Czech Republic in August are close to zero. I have been to that country, but that was almost 17 years ago now. Oh well, maybe they'll do another album and I'll see them next touring cycle. Maybe that will be in 2-3 years time.
    ----
    The sun shines over The Fool...
    20.10.2016 - 10:55
    3rdWorld
    China was a neat
    Revisiting this now, such a damn fine album. Worth a listen just for the inhuman drumming.
    13.07.2018 - 04:50
    MyNameJeff
    What an album! Love the sound, mixed perfectly and sick basslines. If satan was said to be beautiful, this album reflects some of that beauty. This is a very carefully crafted and timeless album. 9/10.

Hits total: 54844 | This month: 132