Metal Storm logo
Why do you (truly) listen to metal? (all genres)

Original post

Posted by DJ Cosimoto, 31.07.2013 - 01:46
I was just wondering why YOU listen to metal these days... In the old days it was to defy, to stick it to the man, to be different, to explore, to express your self and more. Does this still apply or is it simpler now eg. ´I like the beats´.. or is it more complex eg. ´I get a sense of well-beeing counting beats in math-metal´ etc.

What are you looking for... What makes you happy?

I know what it is for me, but I wanna hear it from You

Cheers,
your ex metal DJ Cos
01.08.2013 - 19:33
DyingWorld
Metal is so varied, therefore I listen to different bands for different reasons. The uniting factor that draws me to it all is the power of the music. The atmosphere and/or composition can really strike a nerve. It's a very spiritual thing for me and something that I need to get me through the day. After all, I've been listening to metal since before my balls dropped so I can't even imagine life without it.
01.08.2013 - 20:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 01.08.2013 at 09:54

I just mentioned how it use to be for some people.. mainly in the 70´s and early 80´s... It sure sounds childish now, but u should know what I am talking about since you´re also old.. Also, if it didnt affect u in any way then u must be special... in other ways.
And of course listen to what u like.. nobody said listen to what u dont like.... I was wondering Why, not to build a religion...
u got it all wrong dude...

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Also, if you feel old at the age of 38, I feel sorry for you.
01.08.2013 - 22:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Daniell on 01.08.2013 at 20:05

yeah, just wait until you hit 40.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.08.2013 - 22:52
Skeptic
Because I like it? Just as I like other genres, I like metal too.

I don't think we can justify our music taste with obvious reasons. And we can see that when we find an album with many characteristics we should like (according to our taste), but we end up not enjoying it. Music taste is something complex that normally evolves with time, and not something that follows strict rules.
01.08.2013 - 22:54
Metal Invader
For me its Atmosfere and emotions..no matter where i listen(last night concert of Iron Maiden with 15.000 peoples lol) or alone in the room!
Just love it cos i can connect with so many songs and bonuses are great riffs,solos etc..well in short that is why metal works for me
01.08.2013 - 23:21
DJ Cosimoto
Written by Daniell on 01.08.2013 at 20:05

Written by DJ Cosimoto on 01.08.2013 at 09:54

I just mentioned how it use to be for some people.. mainly in the 70´s and early 80´s... It sure sounds childish now, but u should know what I am talking about since you´re also old.. Also, if it didnt affect u in any way then u must be special... in other ways.
And of course listen to what u like.. nobody said listen to what u dont like.... I was wondering Why, not to build a religion...
u got it all wrong dude...

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but you need to work on your reading comprehension.

I thought my comprehension was doing just fine.... maybe not_?

Truth is, I am drunk sometimes

And yes, I feel old.... very old.... do u have 4 daughters?
Anyway, I am waiting for the wisdom to kick in any day now....
01.08.2013 - 23:23
DJ Cosimoto
PS. I am still enjoing reading all the posts here... Im glad u can express yourselves... coz I have a hard time doing that in writing.
02.08.2013 - 00:03
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 01.08.2013 at 23:21

And yes, I feel old.... very old.... do u have 4 daughters?

You have 4 daughters? That's a lot of energy needed every day to attend to them
02.08.2013 - 02:37
DJ Cosimoto
Yes I know....
02.08.2013 - 06:20
UPDIRNS
I love great musicianship, originality, excellent song writing and honest content that means something to the band. I also love the raw emotion of the music. It motivates me in many different ways.
02.08.2013 - 07:32
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
1. It expresses a wide array of moods and emotions on valuable, thought-provoking topics that would tend to go overlooked by more mainstream music.
2. It's an incredibly diverse genre, despite that ignorant "metal is all screaming and loudness" bullshit... and I love diversity in music. It feels like metal as a whole offers something for everyone in its various styles, both in musical and lyrical approach.
3. I love artistic creativity, and since metal is generally so out of mainstream attention, it creates a lot of bands focused more on doing their own thing than making money and pleasing a rabid fanbase, and that fosters originality.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.08.2013 - 09:57
Mrophine
Because it goes well with my emotions
02.08.2013 - 16:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I trully...dont know...i just do...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.08.2013 - 20:23
Lit.
Account deleted
I like the variety in it, I guess. Different styles for all approaches.
A while ago, I said something like "Because it's like a whole other world to explore" or something like that.
03.08.2013 - 08:19
DJ Cosimoto
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.08.2013 at 07:32

1. It expresses a wide array of moods and emotions on valuable, thought-provoking topics that would tend to go overlooked by more mainstream music.
2. It's an incredibly diverse genre, despite that ignorant "metal is all screaming and loudness" bullshit... and I love diversity in music. It feels like metal as a whole offers something for everyone in its various styles, both in musical and lyrical approach.
3. I love artistic creativity, and since metal is generally so out of mainstream attention, it creates a lot of bands focused more on doing their own thing than making money and pleasing a rabid fanbase, and that fosters originality.

Wow, that is very deep and mature thinking for a guy who´s only 20 years old... Hard to believe.. my oldest daughter is fkn 20...

oh well, I do follow your thoughts completely... u just write it better than me

On top of that I also like the courage and creativity of some bands... U really gotta be dedicated!

Also diversity as u say... maybe the most important thing for me
03.08.2013 - 08:22
DJ Cosimoto
Written by Guest on 02.08.2013 at 20:23

I like the variety in it, I guess. Different styles for all approaches.
A while ago, I said something like "Because it's like a whole other world to explore" or something like that.

It IS a big (under)world to explore for sure... And I still love exploring after all these years...

Many guys at my age hold on to what they listen to back in the 80´s and 90´s and refuse to listen to some modern shit... but I love checking out new albums and see what all these bands are up to..
03.08.2013 - 12:44
Aseliot
Somehow it is the only music that really appeals to me. Though I am very picky and if i had to review everything i have on my ipod right now a lot of it would score a 6/10 or lower compared to the things that i find worth a 7/10 or higher. So yes actually I think most of metal is going to grow boring for me now until i hear that weird experimental thing that i like and then i can go on for another month before needing something new again, but it's getting hard finding some originality in thousands of new bands. offcourse the black metal genre has just started, im curious what it will be like in 20 years.

I also like some other songs from other genres, but not very frequently and they start to get boring a lot faster because they are basically just one melody without suprises.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
06.08.2013 - 07:37
DJ Cosimoto
Well... anyway... THX to all that posted... I enjoid reading the posts...

I also made a list of the albums i have listenend to in 2013 so far... take a look and see what u think... and/or come with some suggestions also

MetaaaaaaHL!
09.08.2013 - 14:25
bloodyrenn
Account deleted
If I had to break it down I'd say the main attraction to metal music for me is the emotional, spiritual and/or intellectual connection I feel with the bands I enjoy. It's almost like a constant companion in life that is there for you regardless of what other folks may or may not do to you. Other than the connection I feel with it I am attracted to the general audible aesthetic of the genre insofar as there's a nice balance between songwriting and musical ability and, of course, lots of distortion. Again, I speak only in regards to the metal bands I like (Sonata Arctica, Agalloch, In Flames, Moonsorrow and so on and so forth).
21.08.2013 - 07:31
Lord Eddard
I can't really express it on a rational way - I have nothing profound to say. It's just like that woman I love, I just love it. I could say it's because the atmosphere, because there are a lot of creative bands that don't sell out to mainstream musical industry, because there is some crazy technical playing that blows my mind, but I don't think that this rationalizations are the answer. I love my songs, my music, my bands. It just makes life a little less stupid, it makes the world a little less mediocre and keeps me going with at least some pleasure in my life.
12.09.2013 - 15:02
Jtbmetal123
I listen to metal because it gets me in a better mood and pumped up ready to go to work. Plus, the music itself is amazing. The instruments all put together to make a great album. Metal is a way of life for me. I listen to it for a number of reasons.
21.09.2013 - 13:53
Masonics
As the most varied music genre metal covers any type of special/deep/political/spiritual connection I think Possible. One of the things that keeps me (and others in the metal community) going in life and getting away from the stresses from time to time is to listen to metal music .

For me the more classic genres hold a great value, and especially Black metal, not as accessible as some other genres, but holds that special feeling even more!
11.10.2013 - 15:38
Downtosky
Because nowadays music ( pop and hip hop ) is suck ( not all though, i still love the creation from Jason Mraz ), and i just feel metal fit my music taste
14.10.2013 - 07:28
UPDIRNS
There are so many different genre's in metal it's crazy. The variety is awesome, the musicianship is some of the best in the world, the creativity is mind numbing and never boring, the power and atmosphere is epic in most cases and the way it can absolutely effect your mood is amazing. When I listen to Wintersun I feel like it's winter and think of people I've lost and remember them. When I listen to Slayer I get pumped big time, when I listen to Iron Maiden I get a euphoric happy feeling, when I listen to Terror or Hatebreed I feel like going into battle or protecting someone. Each genre has it's benefits and that's why they exist. Metal to me is more than music it's a way to express myself, my emotions and a outlet from the daily grind. It's something I can always look forward to, no matter how much money I have or don't have.
14.10.2013 - 14:51
angel.
Evil Butterfly
It makes me bang my head ?
----
The Fangirl.
14.10.2013 - 20:33
no one
Account deleted
Best description yet ^
14.10.2013 - 22:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by angel. on 14.10.2013 at 14:51

It makes me bang my head ?

Your deleted reflection already said it so.

Fritillaria
Account deleted 01.08.2013 at 12:26

Because it sounds good,it calms me,
14.10.2013 - 23:52
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.10.2013 at 22:40

Your deleted reflection already said it so.

Fritillaria
Account deleted 01.08.2013 at 12:26

Because it sounds good,it calms me,

oh cynic,I told you that I already missed your messing with me, thanks for bringing it back again, yeah it makes me calm after it makes me bang my head
----
The Fangirl.
16.10.2013 - 21:50
R Lewis
Mainly because it calms my angry side. People say that metalheads are always angry, but I'm really a better person ince when I started listening to metal.
Then, because of the idea of rebellion that is behind it. The idea of not being satisfied with the obvious.

Oh. And because it sounds awesome.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
17.10.2013 - 09:55
metalpeer
I can feel real metal. What I mean is, I can walk into a room and my teenagers will be playing some pop music and I ask them what is this music and they say dad, don't you feel it? Hell no I don't feel it, if anything I want to get away from it. BUT I can drop the needle on a Mercyful Fate vinyl and I feel it. Metal has been a part of me since my youth and when I am an old man with no teeth and a walking stick, real metal will still be in my stereo. I will attend concerts as long as I am able to get there and to sum it all up, metal is part of me.
----
METALPEER.COM - HEAVY METAL AUCTIONS