Metal Storm logo
Why do you (truly) listen to metal? (all genres)

31.07.2013 - 01:46
DJ Cosimoto
I was just wondering why YOU listen to metal these days... In the old days it was to defy, to stick it to the man, to be different, to explore, to express your self and more. Does this still apply or is it simpler now eg. ´I like the beats´.. or is it more complex eg. ´I get a sense of well-beeing counting beats in math-metal´ etc.

What are you looking for... What makes you happy?

I know what it is for me, but I wanna hear it from You

Cheers,
your ex metal DJ Cos
31.07.2013 - 02:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I will use, wery simple and primitive ansver to this
because I am metalhead, I like metal, I live it, I breath it, I have been metalhead since age 14-15 and I am 28, so I havent stop listening it and never will till I die, no metter at 01.01.2014 or at age 95
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.07.2013 - 06:59
Hanyuchan
Hurr durr I'm so edgy and misunderstood that's why

Seriously though no other genre displays musicianship and songwriting prowess like metal.
31.07.2013 - 08:34
DJ Cosimoto
Cool...

For one I like the freedom metal expresses... freedom to create whatever u want - no boundries.... and dont we all like freedom?

31.07.2013 - 11:19
no one
Account deleted
Because i hate life..no because for me it captures the feelings of the way i think and my thoughts, and the feelings and atmosphere i get when alone and in nature.

i don't really even like metal apart from black metal to be honest
31.07.2013 - 11:42
Sunioj
Because.... Satan.
31.07.2013 - 13:38
DJ Cosimoto
Written by [user id=136611] on 31.07.2013 at 11:19

Because i hate life..no because for me it captures the feelings of the way i think and my thoughts, and the feelings and atmosphere i get when alone and in nature.

lol... That doesnt sound good imo.... u probably need a hug.... co´here!
31.07.2013 - 16:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I started listening to it because I liked the music. In the late 70s early when I started listening to it it wasn't to defy my parents or stick it t the man. Most people that got into metal back then listened to it because they liked and not as a tool of rebellion and such. Neither was it to be different. It was just music that clicked for us. Btw the posers that did listen to it to defy, rebel stick it to the man etc were the first to stop listening to it, for they weren't into for the right reason, which is love of the music, they were the posers and such. And my parents supported me totally with my found new love called metal back then.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2013 - 16:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Why does it matter?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.07.2013 - 17:11
Carrion Misery
Metal has such a wide range of selection that satisfies every emotion. There are specific albums that set the mood to every season; while others are good any time of year. Metal is the largest source of inspiration and motivation when it comes to my art, writing, working out, my job, traveling--It really is my life blood. Metal has the ability to just "sound good" so you can have a good time, or it can truly be life changing where you have to absolutely study, dissect it and question why the musicality and message work a certain way. It can be the most important aspect in the world, and contrarily not such a big deal at all. For me, the bands that attracted me sound so authentic, timeless and constructed almost to the point of perfection. Metal is an emotive chameleon for the ultimate catharsis.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
31.07.2013 - 17:48
Mad Arab666
As a as ideology is of concern, I generally pick aspects that I like from different cultures, politics and religions. Some aspects of metal music have become involved in me but if I stopped listening nothing would change. Other than that I mostly enjoy almost all the elements in metal. It allows me to an emotional release all the way to just sheer entertainment.

-edit- just fixed up some the last sentence-
----
Bring up the wolves head!
31.07.2013 - 18:23
The Raped Death
Account deleted
I grew up listening to all the metalcore and hardcore (before deathcore) and it kept me alive for a while. But as time went on I realize that I want to listen to real METAL...so in like 2003-2005 I went on a Metal binge! All my money went to around 1,000 CDs of different Metal, no genre in particular. I thought I might as well explore it all..every second..every emotion..everything! And what I found in all that Metal was myself. I was blindly searching for me. I found pieces of me in Death, Thrash, Black, Gothic and Doom. So then I started narrowing down for myself. What makes me really feel good? It wasn't Death Metal, not Thrash, Black Metal was my cup of tea, Doom Metal was my cup of tea and Gothic Metal was alright. So now that's where I'm at now. exploring the genres within the genres. Atmospheric, Ambient, Depressive, Post-Black, Avantgarde and so on and so on... And also with the Doom genres. In my opinion its a healing adventure and I don't want to die as much as I thought I did (but I still want to die!). I feel better listening to Metal like a crazy person does on medication. Sorry for my lengthy Metal journey.
31.07.2013 - 18:46
Curumir
Well, i like listening to music that fits and expresses my emotions and how i see the world. This music appears to be metal (mostly black metal, but also some other genres), and is able to cause very melancholic and nostalgic feelings, just like walking through a dark snowy forest and enjoying the solitude. I'm also kinda misantrophic and a bit crazy, and i'm totally introverted (i try to avoid human contact whenever it's possible). So this music makes me feel, to bring up another example, like the last fucking being in this universe, living on a strange planet and facing the darkness of eternal void.
31.07.2013 - 19:57
F.N.S.C.A.C
Written by Bad English on 31.07.2013 at 02:53

because I am metalhead, I like metal, I live it, I breath it, I have been metalhead since age 14-15 and I am 28, so I havent stop listening it and never will till I die, no metter at 01.01.2014 or at age 95

doesn't really explain why you listen to metal, just stating that you do

For me it's a few things. How it sounds, sometimes the tones of the instruments are just so good, I love a crunchy riff if you know what I mean. I also love how it feels, all the emotions; anger,desperation etc just love hearing the emotions that I don't hear in most other genres.
31.07.2013 - 21:31
no one
Account deleted
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 31.07.2013 at 13:38

Written by [user id=136611] on 31.07.2013 at 11:19

lol... That doesnt sound good imo.... u probably need a hug.... co´here!

no thanks, not if your the fat dude in your avatar the stains on the t shirt and the big smile suggest you gave someone a big hug from behind just before that photo was taken
31.07.2013 - 21:35
no one
Account deleted
Written by F.N.S.C.A.C on 31.07.2013 at 19:57

Written by Bad English on 31.07.2013 at 02:53

doesn't really explain why you listen to metal, just stating that you do

no it just explains how much of a hard out metaler he is
31.07.2013 - 21:54
Lit.
Account deleted
Don't we already have a thread like this?
31.07.2013 - 22:27
DragonWisdom
One of the biggest reasons Why for me is in OP's OP - to explore... Metal has one of the deepest pools of genres to dig through... There is just so much out there in the vein of metal to explore... Its pretty amazing that something like "Ayeron" can be linked to "Wolves in the Throne Room" by a single word... METAL
----
Keep it Brutal!!!
01.08.2013 - 00:22
ANGEL REAPER
I like the music....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.08.2013 - 01:05
DJ Cosimoto
Quote:
Quote:
Lol... That doesnt sound good imo.... u probably need a hug.... co´here!

no thanks, not if your the fat dude in your avatar the stains on the t shirt and the big smile suggest you gave someone a big hug from behind just before that photo was taken

And yes, I am the fat dude... stranded on the beach... But I will still give u a hug...
01.08.2013 - 01:13
DJ Cosimoto
I really enjoied reading your answers... I can relate to most of them, but I do not really talk metal with anyone anymore... its mainly just in my head. Its nice to see it in writing
Thx!
01.08.2013 - 01:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
I listen to Metal for the same reasons I listen to Rock or Punk... Cuz it makes my head go up and down, without me having any control over it. Because when I hear them playing their tunes... it puts a smile on my face. Because it makes me happy, makes me feel like running, jumping, kicking and shouting... it pumps the blood in my veins a hundred times faster and revives those long dead cells in my brains. It takes away all the weight of the world and puts me in a state of immeasurable comfort. It is what it is and will always be... for it is music in all its glory.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
01.08.2013 - 02:52
Opethian
Its my escape
01.08.2013 - 05:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
A legit question, nice to see some of the locals douche it up.

i started listening to metal for the same reasons i did punk - there was just something about the aggression, velocity, and energy of it that connected with me. i was primarily listening to punk and some thrash when i read an article about death metal in a Spin magazine in '91, checked it out, and loved it.

various other subgenres caught my attention later on, so it always felt like there was something new to explore when others ran their course.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.08.2013 - 09:12
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 31.07.2013 at 01:46

I was just wondering why YOU listen to metal these days... In the old days it was to defy, to stick it to the man, to be different, to explore, to express your self and more.

I've been into metal for 29 years. And I never listened to it for any of the reasons you mention above. I like the music and that's all there is to it.
Don't get me wrong, but most of the things you listed are naive childish and silly.

Why stick ideology onto something as simple as music. Listen to whatever you fucking like, don't build a religion around it.
01.08.2013 - 09:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Because it's fucking metal!

\m/
01.08.2013 - 09:54
DJ Cosimoto
Quote:
Quote:
I was just wondering why YOU listen to metal these days... In the old days it was to defy, to stick it to the man, to be different, to explore, to express your self and more.

I've been into metal for 29 years. And I never listened to it for any of the reasons you mention above. I like the music and that's all there is to it.
Don't get me wrong, but most of the things you listed are naive childish and silly.

Why stick ideology onto something as simple as music. Listen to whatever you fucking like, don't build a religion around it.

I just mentioned how it use to be for some people.. mainly in the 70´s and early 80´s... It sure sounds childish now, but u should know what I am talking about since you´re also old.. Also, if it didnt affect u in any way then u must be special... in other ways.
And of course listen to what u like.. nobody said listen to what u dont like.... I was wondering Why, not to build a religion...
u got it all wrong dude...
01.08.2013 - 10:09
Sunioj
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2013 at 16:27

I started listening to it because I liked the music. In the late 70s early when I started listening to it it wasn't to defy my parents or stick it t the man. Most people that got into metal back then listened to it because they liked and not as a tool of rebellion and such. Neither was it to be different. It was just music that clicked for us. Btw the posers that did listen to it to defy, rebel stick it to the man etc were the first to stop listening to it, for they weren't into for the right reason, which is love of the music, they were the posers and such. And my parents supported me totally with my found new love called metal back then.

I agree. Everyone has a rebellious phase, and as soon as that's gone - everything associated with it loses it meaning.
01.08.2013 - 10:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
For the same reason I eat fish and chips?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.08.2013 - 12:26
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Because it sounds good,it calms me, mostly,it doesn't make me feel sick or feeling like I want to punch the musicians in the face because of the bullshit noises they force into my ears. And I really enjoy its musicality most of the times.