Metal Storm logo
Mastodon - Defend Controversial T-Shirt, Accused Of Racism

American metallers Mastodon are currently embroiled in a controversy regarding an allegedly racist t-shirt that coincided with the Thanksgiving holiday. The t-shirt depicts a white male pilgrim pointing a gun at a female Native American and is pictured below. Some deemed it racist. The band defended the artwork explaining that they aren't racist and simply pointed out the atrocities linked to Thanksgiving.

The band has released a press statement defending their release of the shirt: "Regarding our Thanksgiving shirt, whether you choose to believe or not, the American Indians were massacred by the white settlers who became the Americans we are today. This shirt represents this atrocity and celebrating in the face of this atrocity is chilling.

We may have a sick sense of humor, but we are far from being 'Racist' as some of you who might not get it are calling us."

Source: pitchfork.com
Band profile: Mastodon
Posted: 30.11.2013 by LeChron James

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 430 users
30.11.2013 - 11:16
J. N.
Account deleted
Butt-hurt Americans don't want people to know what they did.
30.11.2013 - 11:31
ANGEL REAPER
I dont know who is bigger dick in this case...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.11.2013 - 12:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Seriously, I don't see any racism here.

And I don't see that girl as native american. Why mastodon defending it?
30.11.2013 - 12:19
Neroese
Account deleted
'murica
30.11.2013 - 12:40
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Dude it's not racist, it's sexist she's on her knees, at the right height...
----
30.11.2013 - 13:09
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
This is not racism, but T-shirt is stupid anyway. Angel Reaper probably have a winner for his list
30.11.2013 - 13:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.11.2013 at 11:31

Easy, the butthurt people that called them racist.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2013 - 13:55
ANGEL REAPER
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2013 at 13:35

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.11.2013 at 11:31

Easy, the butthurt people that called them racist.

sure ,but also what about the band ? i mean they got meadia exposure through "controversial" business move ...
though the butthurt people still are a bit bigger dicks in this case ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.11.2013 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It is little ofending (riffle part) but indans and whites lived in peace in old days , till white get gready and also why noboy talks bout white men skalping, only how indians was butchered, atecas how many innocnt enemies and own they sacrified to to gods ?
why racism must be oly from white, non talks about how white farmers are butchere din some arican states, black racismn, latinos racsm to whites? why white man must be blame for all?
I am 100% aganst racism, I see this offending , but i wont make panic, remaids m Muhhamed and his 1th animal story
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.11.2013 - 14:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.11.2013 at 13:55
sure ,but also what about the band ? i mean they got meadia exposure through "controversial" business move ...

Nah, I don't consider the band to be dicks. I don't even consider the tshirt to be controversial... Unless you think the TRUTH is something controversial.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2013 - 14:46
ANGEL REAPER
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2013 at 14:39

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.11.2013 at 13:55

Nah, I don't consider the band to be dicks. I don't even consider the tshirt to be controversial... Unless you think the TRUTH is something controversial.

no truth aint controversal ,however i do agree that the those "thats racist" yelling people are dicks.Also i just say that all this reminds me to Burzum case but that is another dimension and completelly different story .
----
30.11.2013 - 14:59
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2013 at 14:39

Unless you think the TRUTH is something controversial.

Well thats not real truth... Americans did not have a tradition in which they were killing Indians on Thanksgiving Day. So this T-shirt is simply exaggerated and was made for making controversy. I am not denying the truth and whole history of Indians, but this T-shirt is (for me) just stupid.
30.11.2013 - 15:21
Dylan
This is sort of akin to releasing a shirt with hitler pointing a gun at a jew, is it not? that's probably how the general public would perceive it, anyway. i couldn't care less.
30.11.2013 - 16:01
Zadion
Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 14:16

It is little ofending (riffle part) but indans and whites lived in peace in old days , till white get gready and also why noboy talks bout white men skalping, only how indians was butchered, atecas how many innocnt enemies and own they sacrified to to gods ?
why racism must be oly from white, non talks about how white farmers are butchere din some arican states, black racismn, latinos racsm to whites? why white man must be blame for all?
I am 100% aganst racism, I see this offending , but i wont make panic, remaids m Muhhamed and his 1th animal story

I kind of agree with this. However, most Native American action against the European folk was mostly counter-measures. And while they did attack and kill innocents too at times, that is a part of war... though "war" isn't really the proper term here.

However, I'm Native American myself and I don't find this remotely offensive. I do, however, find it dumb. Most are aware of the national catastrophe and how the U.S. was founded on genocide, but it has nothing to do with Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was a legitimate gathering where the Native American folk and the European folk could get together peacefully even if just once, so this shirt is misinformative if nothing else.
30.11.2013 - 16:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

I wouldn't consider colonists "innocent" by any means, especially considering the atrocities they've committed against Native Americans. And the reason why people don't focus on racism against Caucasians is because of white privilege. If you don't think white men are to blame for issues such as this, you probably shouldn't bother commenting on articles like this and revealing your ignorance.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.11.2013 - 16:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Zadion on 30.11.2013 at 16:01

I kind of agree with this. However, most Native American action against the European folk was mostly counter-measures. And while they did attack and kill innocents too at times, that is a part of war... though "war" isn't really the proper term here.

However, I'm Native American myself and I don't find this remotely offensive. I do, however, find it dumb. Most are aware of the national catastrophe and how the U.S. was founded on genocide, but it has nothing to do with Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was a legitimate gathering where the Native American folk and the European folk could get together peacefully even if just once, so this shirt is misinformative if nothing else.

I agree , in thosedays all were barbarains and war laws, and UN whatsoever convention was not invented,
main thing in racism I hate is whites are blame fr everything, we cant blame our ancestors that they were retards and did some crimes,
Like I said I am 100% against racism, but another think I hate when ppl ban our heathen symbols as celtic cross and other ones, in nazie flag yes why not but in heathen t shirt .....
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 16:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2013 at 16:05

I wouldn't consider colonists "innocent" by any means, especially considering the atrocities they've committed against Native Americans. And the reason why people don't focus on racism against Caucasians is because of white privilege. If you don't think white men are to blame for issues such as this, you probably shouldn't bother commenting on articles like this and revealing your ignorance.

Tht who was innocent and not innont at those days ,,,, crusides, ppl thought they do Gods will, (they wer ebrainwashed) , muslims did sane and do even now
Besides why (todays generation)we need be blme what our ancetors did, if most of us are diferent live in the free world and free from dogmas (we have option be free if we use it its aother story)
I dont wanna be blammed that m ancestor killed someone in 12th century , I dont wanna be blame that white man did hate crimes , I can be blam only what I do personally
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 16:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 16:13

I was more so referring to how we have white privilege today based on instances like this where colonists essentially raped the culture of aboriginal people and have continued to oppress them.

The shirt itself isn't racist. It's an exaggeration of history that both promotes the band's views (in all likelihood) as well as stirring up some controversy which will obviously help out with album sales.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.11.2013 - 16:33
Death_95
I don't consider this racist by any means, but I can surely understand why some people got offended by it... it's a nice t-shirt actually
30.11.2013 - 16:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2013 at 16:19

Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 16:13

I was more so referring to how we have white privilege today based on instances like this where colonists essentially raped the culture of aboriginal people and have continued to oppress them.

The shirt itself isn't racist. It's an exaggeration of history that both promotes the band's views (in all likelihood) as well as stirring up some controversy which will obviously help out with album sales.

what whites did whit natives is totally unaceptale, but main think is such thinks dont happen today
and besides many whites are fucking retards and religuse brainwashed, ''gloriuse'' klan , millita trops, if those ppl wold rules, metal wont exist
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 17:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 16:44
...but main think is such thinks dont happen today

I can't blame you for this comment since you don't live here, but Aboriginal Canadians still face a great deal of racism and oppression. A quick Google search will help you better understand just how much discrimination this group still faces.

I agree that we shouldn't be blamed for the acts of our ancestors, but we should be blamed for how we are currently treating marginalized groups like this. For example, denying a couple thousand people access to clean drinking water for the purpose of mining uranium and subsequently imprisoning "those" people for protesting against forcible relocation means we aren't exactly treating Aboriginal Canadians fairly.
----
30.11.2013 - 17:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2013 at 17:10

Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 16:44
...but main think is such thinks dont happen today

I can't blame you for this comment since you don't live here, but Aboriginal Canadians still face a great deal of racism and oppression. A quick Google search will help you better understand just how much discrimination this group still faces.

I agree that we shouldn't be blamed for the acts of our ancestors, but we should be blamed for how we are currently treating marginalized groups like this. For example, denying a couple thousand people access to clean drinking water for the purpose of mining uranium and subsequently imprisoning "those" people for protesting against forcible relocation means we aren't exactly treating Aboriginal Canadians fairly.

I dont know much about canadian nativs , but I thought those days are over now ,
is in the USA same

I know about that mine I have seen a movie and its horrble,

Saami was docriminated in Sweden till 6's even more, their lanuadge was banned in the cschouls, actually in 60's in Swe even dialects wa banned, now all is accepted and no such shame, but still
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 17:16
gnirpz
First thing I look was the boobies...

So I don't see racist yet there...
30.11.2013 - 18:50
Mattybu
Lol, when people gather around the table for thanksgiving they appreciate the opportunity to be with family and just enjoy their presence and maybe watch some football after. This shirt suggests people gather around the table and say to their family "hey remember when our ancestor's ancestors killed a whole bunch of native people? that was fucking awesome! happy thanksgiving everyone!"

As for why they would bother to release this shirt, gotta guess controversy-fueled money grab. Since none of the proceeds are going to help native people and the band hasn't seemed to care about them in any other capacity that is kind of out of the picture. I noticed on their facebook page the band members were personally selling a lot of shit which I found a little bit weird. Leads me to believe they are having money problems of some kind and wanted to stir up some controversy to make a few bucks, because there's no such thing as bad publicity. I can only imagine the wannabe edgy fedora-wearing crowd that would actually buy this ugly shirt....
30.11.2013 - 19:56
?apleee
Mouthcrab
I wouldn't call it racist, because that actually happened, but it's insensitive, because that actually happened.
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
30.11.2013 - 20:26
Lit.
Account deleted
30.11.2013 - 21:59
Like Lamb of god said, they are a bunch of rednecks, what are you expecting for them?
01.12.2013 - 01:54
SelfXPlanetOrE
>Be from the southern United States
>Claim that something you did isn't racist
Yeah, like that's gonna fucking work.
01.12.2013 - 03:36
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by SelfXPlanetOrE on 01.12.2013 at 01:54

>Be from the southern United States
>Claim that something you did isn't racist
Yeah, like that's gonna fucking work.

While the band itself is in the South, half of its members are from the North.
01.12.2013 - 04:01
(o> . <o> )
Written by Hex_Omega on 30.11.2013 at 13:09

This is not racism, but T-shirt is stupid anyway. Angel Reaper probably have a winner for his list

Just a true portrait of a -~rather illogical~- logic behind this "tradition". The T-Shirt is pretty damn good in this matter if you ask me.

Hits total: 8069 | This month: 28