Metal Storm logo
10th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

The 10th Annual Metal Storm Awards are now open for voting. Polling will last through the end of February, so take your time and check out our nominees.

Feel free to tell us how awesome our picks are/how much we blow goats because we don't like your favorite band below.

Enjoy.

Or don't.

Team MS.

\m/
Posted: 01.02.2014 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 173   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 983 users
01.02.2014 - 00:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Irritable Ted on 01.02.2014 at 00:04

Who's ass is that?

Marcel. Duh.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.02.2014 - 00:13
Zap
Haha, there really weren't any thrash albums worthy of nomination this year
EDIT: Shit, there was. It's called Skeletonwitch, and it wasn't even nominated
Well, so much for avoiding write-in votes...
01.02.2014 - 00:22
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Extreme Doom and Debut Album nominations sucks. The rest is Ok
01.02.2014 - 00:34
annodomini
Stil can't figure out, how I missed OMB in avantgarde section this year. One amazing discovery via MS awards already!
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.02.2014 - 00:54
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 01.02.2014 at 00:22

Gotta say Power, Sludge and Experimental don't have jack shit either.
01.02.2014 - 00:58
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Why is Bolzer is on the Death Metal list and not on Clandestine Cut? Its an EP after all.
01.02.2014 - 00:58
musclassia
Staff
First year I really haven't cared about any thrash releases. However, I've never been so interested in the sludge/stoner category - choosing between NKOTWT, Weedpecker, Windhand, Kongh and RLHT is not easy at all. On the flip side, a lot of other categories picked themselves for me. Don't know if this is going to be the place for these kind of things, but I don't know what category Nero Di Marte's album would be classed under? If it's progressive then I'm writing in Protest The Hero anyway, if it's death or post or whatever I'll likely write in.
01.02.2014 - 02:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
So, how many awards will Wintersun be written into this year?
Oh, and was symphonic merged with gothic cause there wasn't much in the way of symphonic releases this year? I thought Lingua Mortis Orchestra would win it easily, but it's not nominated.
Just noticed that Witherscape missed out.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.02.2014 - 02:20
Unhealer
Eclecticist
And finally Ihsahn got nominated. Too bad this year I don't want to vote him
01.02.2014 - 02:30
VPeter
What no bitching so far? Then I will do it *ahum* WUTH NO *INSERT BAND NAME* HERE?! YOU GaYWSS SUCKKK! JSFGJDSHDDSGDJD
also nice ass

Now to be serious, I haven't checked out a lot of metal this year so I'm curious to see what you guys have found so I'm going to do some digging. While I didn't listen to a lot fo metal I did found some nice stuff, a release that didn't got nominated here but I'm going to toss it here if people want to check it out:

Erdh - Resilient

Erdh is a new Gothic metal band who just signed on Season of Mist, they are different from the other Gothic Metal bands as most of their lyrics are about space & science-fiction and not just lyrically they have many industrial/trancy parts through out their songs. The vocalist also has an impressive range and unique voice. If you are just as disappointed as me in the current state of Gothic Metal, Erdh - Resilient is worth a try.

01.02.2014 - 03:23
Skyum
Where the hell is Abyssal? I'm really surprised that they're not nominated. That was my favourite album from 2013.
01.02.2014 - 03:52
Lethrokai

Surprised they didn't put in Omb or Avatarium in the debut section. Those two were some kickass albums.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
01.02.2014 - 04:07
Diverge
Great stuff. My only complaint...I've already heard most of the selections in my favourite categories already and in the past, I've found some new gems from this. But it's a minor thing, especially since I listened to a lot of stuff last year. I'm really glad Boil made the cut, though!!! Good fucking choice.

For prog metalheads/ avant-garde fans that need some high quality underground cut, Eloa Vadaath's album kicked some serious ass.
01.02.2014 - 06:55
Crème fraiche
Oh man, I'm actually really interested in seeing who will win the hardcore / metalcore /deathcore category. Some good shit came out last year.
01.02.2014 - 07:00
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I voted for "The Ass on the Metal Storm awards" out of biggest drama... That stuff with Slayer I believe to be some Bullshit though. They should have at least taken a break.

Black Metal i'm finding very hard to pick between. Carpe Noctem, Cult of Fire or Wormlust? It's been a pretty good year for Metal as far as the releases are concerned.
----
Coldgrits
01.02.2014 - 07:28
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Guest on 01.02.2014 at 00:58

Why is Bolzer is on the Death Metal list and not on Clandestine Cut? Its an EP after all.

Indeed. Also Uneven Structures - 8.
----
Coldgrits
01.02.2014 - 08:27
mz
I wished we had slugdge and abyssal in death metal category. My vote will go to Ulcerate, though.
Also, good to see a band that is not featured on MS getting nominated
in best debut category, that Gloryhammer album offends me as it is located between two good/excellent records. Needles to say that the shitty cover of Gloryhammer contrasts with those two albums surrounding it, both in terms of quality and appearance
Finally, one of my favorite extreme doom metal records of year was "ego depths-Gjerhal ket Bardo". It sounds like wormlust joining esoteric and playing funeral doom. Wished they were nominated, too.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.02.2014 - 09:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Who actually writes the nomination descriptions? I saw one that was clearly Boxcar Willy.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.02.2014 - 09:51
Kamil
Account deleted
Amaranthe - this is a team that should not be taken seriously espesially as a full metal band

Question for MS staff - What is the goal of nomination for this band?
a). purposeful blow on the cheek for fans of real heavy metal music
b). some foul provocation
c). ill-conceived joke

I just do not know how to understand it
01.02.2014 - 09:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Devious Persecution And Wholesale Slaughter will sweep Grind cat i suppose. What an Amazing album that was.

Thrash(considering how incredibly amateur releases were) cat is drab but still with few good releases I think winner will be pretty much obvious. Death, Extreme Doom, Metalcore/Deathcore, Doom, Hard Rock and Black Metal cat is very tight. Lets roll our hear around and choose real warriors.
01.02.2014 - 10:03
Written by Guest on 01.02.2014 at 09:51

I guess making people like me happy, who totally appreciate catchyness - instantly got my +1.

But where is Keldian?
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
01.02.2014 - 10:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Who the fuck put Slayer - Jeff Hanneman's death in Drama category?

No, seriously what you want? Do you want me to come over your house and strangulate everyone? No, seriously that wasn't funny at all. At fucking all. No, seriously I'm not acting like Eric Cartman out here. No respect for great musician. I wish an ugly fat cow fall over you(yeah, YOU!!).
01.02.2014 - 11:22
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
That's gotta be the worst metal related ass photo in history. I EXPECTED BETTER. haha.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.02.2014 - 11:44
AZURA
Account deleted
01.02.2014 - 11:59
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Lethrokai on 01.02.2014 at 03:52

Surprised they didn't put in Omb or Avatarium in the debut section. Those two were some kickass albums.

And where is: Stomach Earth, Avatarium, Lingua Mortis Orchestra, Dreadnought, Onirophagus, Saor, Weedpecker, Witherscape? Of course we have Saor, Avatarium and Weedpecker in different categories but I don't know why an album can't be nominated in more than 1 category. This makes 'Debut album' category really weak because the best debut albums are not nominated - and thats a FACT.
01.02.2014 - 12:08
bblitz
In the progressive metal genre there is no nomination for new Dream Theater???
Definetly gonna pass this years voting,maybe I'll vote for Artillery or Amorphis....
01.02.2014 - 12:13
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by bblitz on 01.02.2014 at 12:08

I am not surprised about that. I am more surprised with the absence of new Ayreon. But I would still vote for new Haken.
01.02.2014 - 12:15
Uldreth
Written by Guest on 01.02.2014 at 09:51

Amaranthe - this is a team that should not be taken seriously espesially as a full metal band

a). purposeful blow on the cheek for fans of real heavy metal music
b). some foul provocation
c). ill-conceived joke

I just do not know how to understand it

What's your problem with Amaranthe?

Anyways, lots of stuff for me to check out, I am especially happy that many nominations outside genres of my interest seem to be exciting enough for me to delve into.

I am a bit surprised though that August Burns Red didn't get nominated, seeing they dropped a massive album, but I am equally surprised Breakdown of Sanity got nominated (pleasantly surprised, that is hihi).

EDIT: Also no Ovid's Withering?
01.02.2014 - 12:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by bblitz on 01.02.2014 at 12:08

I am not surprised DT was not nominated, but I am for Fates warning having no nomination.

You can do a write-in vote for DT if you loved the album.
01.02.2014 - 13:00
Uldreth
Written by Guest on 01.02.2014 at 00:58

EPs have been nominated before as well, I remember Mafia by Fleshgod Apocalypse being nominated when it was released.

Also the Uneven Structure and Vildhjarta nominations are EPs as well.

Hits total: 8201 | This month: 32