Metal Storm logo
Black Metal Hatred

Original post

Posted by darksun, 17.01.2007 - 23:30
Firstly i wanna add that this one only reflects my ideas.i mean just something subjective.Since i startedto listen to metal i never like black metal as i always find it something silly just like nu-metal.Songs organised 2-3 guitar riffs and monoton drum attacks and awful vocals(What i mean is vocalists trying to make brutal or scream but fuck up).And i have co many acquantices who dislike this.So what's your opinion?
17.11.2007 - 00:14
Mosquiller
Written by [user id=12376] on 04.02.2007 at 01:10

well, we'll see about that, as it is right now I don't plan to start listening to black metal

as you wish
---t
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
17.11.2007 - 00:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by darksun on 17.01.2007 at 23:30

Firstly i wanna add that this one only reflects my ideas.i mean just something subjective.Since i startedto listen to metal i never like black metal as i always find it something silly just like nu-metal.Songs organised 2-3 guitar riffs and monoton drum attacks and awful vocals(What i mean is vocalists trying to make brutal or scream but fuck up).And i have co many acquantices who dislike this.So what's your opinion?

Im not big into black metal, but this is a really dumb comment. period. The fact that you categorize all black metal underneath this is a really ignorant thing to do. and as previously stated, its not always about creating a skilled sound, its about creating an atmosphere.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.11.2007 - 22:24
Replicant
Well, if you don't like it, you don't like it. The singing style seems to be the most offputting, even those who really love the growls in death metal. That's kind of the point really...it's not supposed to be lovely, it's uncomfortable, uneasy, somewhat shocking. All adds to the atmosphere. Black metal is all about the atmosphere!
18.11.2007 - 01:17
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Admitedly, black metal does have some goofy participants; usually on the fan's behalf. Something that does bother me is the popularity black metal has gained, thankfully it's still not quite mainstream, but with the likes of Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir being promoted by Hot Topic is just disgusting - which is a shame because Dimmu are/were a great band.

It's hard to really sum up why black metal is something more than a bunch of noise, but black metal hold's a value that is differant than other genre's of metal. For me, black metal is the only type of music that is worth something and means something more, because the lyric's aren't burdened by content that appeals to the status quo. There are not song's about being a rockstar, or going to the club's, or that summer love or any of that other crap that flood's the radio's. Black metal show's the bleaker (and often more true) sides of life, how shitty this world is and it's people in it, but it can also give a person strength by embracing our heritage and old way's, before this world was polluted with Jeudo-Christian influence's; yet, it doesn't have to mean anti-Christian. Endorsing Satanism or Luciferism, is equivolent to encouraging all form's of Jeudo-Christianity.

BM is also the most extreme sounding and literally living music, it's more of a lifestyle than a type of music; at least for some of us. If you don't like black metal, then you probably never will, and it's not the right type of music for you.
18.11.2007 - 14:30
Smurfophagist
Well i never liked Black metal. I don't have anything against it, or against the people who listen to it, i just don't find it interesting. It used to be the vocals and violent rhythms that bothered me, but as grew into liking speed metal which can have rhythms that are similar to the ones in black metal, the only things left that bother me in black metal are the vocals and the persona that follows black metal.
And i also find grindcore and goregrind especially disgusting forms of metal.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
25.11.2007 - 02:15
Bow To Cheese!!!
Account deleted
If you don't like a peticular style of music don't make a thread to bash it lol, that's the lamest thing anyone can do. You can give 100 musical reasons why you don't like it, (but usually people that hate a style know nothing about it) but the end result is simply that it's not your style of music, and a Black Metal elitest can come up with 100 reasons why it's good, but the end result is that it's just his/her kind of music. Plus the Black Metal elistest will probably give better reasons to why it's a good style of music then someone who hates it saying it sucks.
I said this on another thread, but we have got to stop argueing against eachother and join forces against Green Day and Sum 41 .
22.02.2008 - 22:39
NOИ
Black Metal is full of Negativity and with these screams they are only trying to express the bad and sick and ugly feelings, together with the raw sound, making it unapproachable for the normal "happy" and everyday people. I personally hear more genres than this, but when I'm sad or angry or in a weird mood, I will put my Black Metal just to feel better...
24.02.2008 - 09:45
villain
Black is something you must feel. There are plenty of people who prefer cachy riffs ad lots of them to something simple and atmospheric.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
25.02.2008 - 20:06
NOИ
every music is something you must feel. but in Black Metal these feelings are Negative. that's why we call it Black and not Green or whatever.
27.02.2008 - 06:49
selken
Irreligious
Written by darksun on 17.01.2007 at 23:30

I cannot deal with opinions, yes, some black metal songs are very simple, but I do not need technical musicianship in order to enjoy it. I dont care if the music is complex or not, I just listen to it, if I like it, I like it. Also, those arguments on the original post are just stereotyped stuff.

Metalstormer rule:
Quote:

84. Be sure to stereotype every genre you dislike.

way to go!!!
What about melodic/symphonic black???.
----
27.02.2008 - 16:05
Hangar XVIII
I like some black metal, but it really depends on the band to me.
I can listen to some Immortal or Darkthrone, but anything more underground than that (pretty much all of it) seems to be trying too hard to me.
I think you can make music brutal without reffering to satan in a baritone growl for an entire song with a detuned guitar riff.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
27.02.2008 - 17:07
Not everyone can discover the magic of black metal.

You're one of the unlucky ones.
27.02.2008 - 20:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bend Your Mind on 27.02.2008 at 17:07

Oh for gods sake, abandon the elitism. Some people just happen to like, others don't. Don't start with 'hidden magic' and all that crap, just because it makes you feel good. Black Metal is not anything remotely special, or better than other genres.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.02.2008 - 20:32
mankvill
To each their own.

That's all I gotta say about this topic.
27.02.2008 - 21:16
m3t4lh34d
Written by Sunioj on 18.01.2007 at 16:00

silly like nu metal? Coming from someone that likes Metallica, right...that just defeated your arguement of monotone drums, awful vocals etc.

So clever! Open my eyes to the secrets of your deft linguistic prowess.
27.02.2008 - 21:19
m3t4lh34d
Written by Lucas on 27.02.2008 at 20:28

Oh for gods sake, abandon the elitism. Some people just happen to like, others don't. Don't start with 'hidden magic' and all that crap, just because it makes you feel good. Black Metal is not anything remotely special, or better than other genres.

Absolutely agreed.
27.02.2008 - 22:57
Damnated
Churchburner

Black Metal is not anything remotely special, or better than other genres.

liar, liar, pants on fire!!

sorry, but i always wanted to post this
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.02.2008 - 08:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

I think we found the source of black metal 'hatred'. Ive never met anyone who hates the music in itself, just not into it. But theres plenty of people who hate the snobby elitist assholes that are associated with the genre. and that 'hidden magic' comment is a dead give away of one of those stereotypical BM fans.
----
- George Carlin
28.02.2008 - 11:49
Sunioj
Written by m3t4lh34d on 27.02.2008 at 21:16

Written by Sunioj on 18.01.2007 at 16:00

silly like nu metal? Coming from someone that likes Metallica, right...that just defeated your arguement of monotone drums, awful vocals etc.

So clever! Open my eyes to the secrets of your deft linguistic prowess.

Do you have anything to say about what I was referring to other than my use of grammar? Anyways, I wrote that post a long time ago, don't quite care if someone doesn't like Black Metal, was just pointing out a bad excuse to dislike a musical genre. Taste in music is subjective... you either are aesthetically pleased by hearing a strain of metal or it completely turns you off... simple as that.
28.02.2008 - 12:34
villain
Written by Doc G. on 28.02.2008 at 08:33

I think we found the source of black metal 'hatred'. Ive never met anyone who hates the music in itself, just not into it. But theres plenty of people who hate the snobby elitist assholes that are associated with the genre. and that 'hidden magic' comment is a dead give away of one of those stereotypical BM fans.

you're just sorry that you're unable to appreciate black metal - so anyone who discovers the magic is termed an elitist. Some people feel the same about death metal, some about nu metal, rap metal, pop, rock etc.
So what if I express my feelings towards BM by calling it magical ? I have listened to rock, pop, rap, speed/thrash metal, death metal but how am I an elitist if I prefer Black Metal? HOw can one say BM is nothng special in front of nu metal or pop? Why should I give a damn about the sensitivities of those politically correct liberal 'assholes' ? At least my opinion is based on my experience with other genres. Now tell me can I be termed as a 'close minded ' elitist ?
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
28.02.2008 - 15:41
Damnated
Churchburner

But theres plenty of people who hate the snobby elitist assholes that are associated with the genre. and that 'hidden magic' comment is a dead give away of one of those stereotypical BM fans.

well, people who hate a genre because of it's fans are quite stupid, and i'm more than happy that they don't listen to black metal. if people would judge the music by it's fans, then everyone would be listening to their own music tbh. because every genre has it's stereotypical fans. people who enjoy the music from the 60s are usually hippies, people who enjoy stoner are usually junkies and so on and so forth.

some fans of black metal are elitist. and to some extent it's understandable, because this scene has the most posers and gay wannabes. and imo everyone who regularly listens to real black metal, by real i mean not mainstream, is an elitist to some extent.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.02.2008 - 18:44
Sunioj
Yes, it would be understandable if someone who listens to black metal that delves beneath the mainstream on their own accord, seems like an elitist. Just look at how much black metal bands there are, you have to maintain your own standard of taste in order to sort through all the rubbish bands that come through otherwise you would be flooded by music that doesn't affect you. The same applies to other genres as well...
29.02.2008 - 01:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by villain on 28.02.2008 at 12:34

you're just sorry that you're unable to appreciate black metal - so anyone who discovers the magic is termed an elitist. Some people feel the same about death metal, some about nu metal, rap metal, pop, rock etc.
So what if I express my feelings towards BM by calling it magical ? I have listened to rock, pop, rap, speed/thrash metal, death metal but how am I an elitist if I prefer Black Metal? HOw can one say BM is nothng special in front of nu metal or pop? Why should I give a damn about the sensitivities of those politically correct liberal 'assholes' ? At least my opinion is based on my experience with other genres. Now tell me can I be termed as a 'close minded ' elitist ?

Well, for one I do listen to black metal, not alot, but I'm not totally ignorant. Secondly you sound like a typical elitist when you use the word 'magic' because you make it sound like theres some sort of selective skill involved in listening to black metal. My argument has nothing to do with liberal sensitivities, its more having to do with stupidity, I'm not really offended by your comment, it just baffles me is all, I didn't know there were people over the age of 15 who still had that thought process.
----
- George Carlin
29.02.2008 - 02:04
Harmonic
Account deleted
I keep trying black metal. I've been trying it for almost two years now. I still don't get it. (And I enjoy quite a few genres of music, both metal and otherwise.) All I can conclude is that BM is at least better than hip hop. Or maybe there's nothing to get, and some people just have questionable taste in music. Thankfully, there's magic to make it all better.

Honestly, it would take divine intervention to make black metal sound good:

Behold, a miracle! BM fans rejoice! The good Lord has turned pure crap into solid gold!

29.02.2008 - 05:04
AntaeusM
Elite

The term "magic" is applied because of a lack of skill to explain why he enjoys black metal, or why black metal is his favourite genre of music. I advice to the poster of the term "magic" to think about why he calls it magic, or discover which parts of black metal makes it so magical.

Black metal is special, but it isn't better than any other genre. The problem with black metal is the general ignorance within the scene. Both at the sides of the fans and at the side of the musicians. Because of that it is really difficult to discover these few really promising, talented bands in this genre. The black metal bands that are good are also remarkably good. It is just saddening that those bands don't really receive much attention.
29.02.2008 - 05:13
Number Juan
Written by Judas on 05.02.2007 at 13:15

I hated Black Metal with a passion when I first became a Metalhead. I was into Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Helloween and the other big Power Metal bands, and the classic older stuff (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Kiss ). I started by way of Children Of Bodom, because they got me used to harsh vocals while maintaining a Power Metal theme, and then slowly got more acquainted with 'real' BM. The progression went somewhat like Children Of Bodom -> Dimmu Borgir -> Emperor -> Immortal -> Darkthrone, and beyond... But just because I really like BM now, it doesn't mean that I'm less of a Power Metal and Glam Rock fan. If you like listening to something, then don't let any 'norm' stop you!

That is almost a carbon copy of my story. I used to hate black metal. I still am a sucker for melodic, progressive and thecnical stuff but I have respect for what a band like Emperor or Immortal do.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
29.02.2008 - 05:20
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
For all these people arguing whether BM has magic or not, in a sense there is some "magic". I'm sure that alot of people discussing on this topic has once thought of a special presence in this form of music, and I'm not trying to be an elitist, but there is, and one of the main reasons for that would be that BM musicians concentrate alot on the atmosphere and emotion while composing. For other bands it will be chaos and frantic blasting riffs. Every genre has its own kind of properties, i won't go into catagorising styles too much. because obviously alot of bands try to achieve their own sound. If there is a big problem with BM these days, it would be that the newer bands are copying too much of their predecessors, although this genre tends to lean towards the simplicity of music and repitition. And if anyone is getting ideas about me, well i dont think BM is superior to any other metal genre, it has weaknesses and strengths.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
29.02.2008 - 09:19
NOИ
you are only 16 years old but your opinion is excellent! I agree especially with the problem with BM you said, BM nowadays is like an inside joke. not dangerous, offcourse NOT evil and everyone is full of clichés and stupidity! and about music, they are copying all the time Bathory, Mayhem, Burzum and Darkthrone and some other good bands that did something for the genre! nothing new, nothing special, nothing revolutionary, this genre is dead.

and fuck off with the black metal magic. there is no magic, it's all about the image and stupidity of the internet and bands. nothing happens in the real world and black metal is just another genre with atmosphere, nothing more, nothing less. every nerd and stupid teenager kiddo can do it, crappy music, corpse paint and a profile in myspace.com is everything you need and bingo, you are a trve kvlt black metal satanik elitistik uber misanthropik nazi!
29.02.2008 - 16:56
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by NOИ on 29.02.2008 at 09:19

BM nowadays is like an inside joke. not dangerous, offcourse NOT evil and everyone is full of clichés and stupidity! and about music, they are copying all the time Bathory, Mayhem, Burzum and Darkthrone and some other good bands that did something for the genre! nothing new, nothing special, nothing revolutionary, this genre is dead.

there are good new bands. just check out the orthodox scene. not everything is top notch and brilliance, but the the current state is good and promising.
----

29.02.2008 - 17:36
Omfg!
Can't believe there's so much fuss going over me calling Black Metal music
"MAGICAL".Btw,when did I mention that Black Metal is superior to any other forms of music?
I listen to Doom/Thrash/Death/Power ,New age,Eastern and Western Classical and some Avant-Garde as well and equally appreciate such forms of music.

I agree that most of the BM bands that exist today are total poo and there have been several weakness within the genre since it came into being.But very few among them are still playing good music.You can't just call BM bad by trying out some gay bands.