08. Rusted Nail
09. Dead Eyes
10. Monsters In The Ballroom
11. Filtered Truth

The Biggest Letdown Of 2014

Guest review by
Fallen Ghost
Rating:
In Flames.. In Flames.. Chew a little on that name, taste it, swirl it around. What comes to your mind? Some have their mind set back in time, where the band was one of the big bands in the melodic death metal scene with highly acclaimed albums like Whoracle, Colony and Clayman. Others have accepted (or are bitter over) the new sound the band slowly, but surely adopted. And Siren Charms is not an exception.

Read more ››
published 11.02.2015 | Comments (9)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 1443 users
31.08.2014 - 18:28
Rating: 4
s_t_s
What somehow annoys me is that the first times I listened to Sounds of a Playground Fading, I thought it was so mellow, lacking energy and uninteresting but now I can say I really love the album (well it's ageing In Flames but I'm about the same age by one year so ) Yet Siren Charms doesn't make me feel any energy but in Rusted Nail which is definitely a grower ! Still need to listen another time but there's not a single track that caught my attention at first listening and that sucks
01.09.2014 - 20:48
Rating: 1
Sword_Chant
these guys really messed up their sound imo. Worst album i've heard in a long, long time. They used to be one of the biggest, if not THE biggest Melodeath band out there at one point. Way to ruin a good career...
02.09.2014 - 22:29
Rating: 2
VonMal
This album, man. This goddamn album.

Painfully uninspired, lazy, boring, recycled, badly written, terribly performed and most of all totally devoid of any musical value whatsoever. Easily the worst IF album to date. Even 'A Sense of Purpose' sounds decent in comparison to this brainfart - and that says something. Tracks like 'Through Oblivion' or 'Paralyzed' are so bad they just make me wanna shit blood.

Seriously. 'Siren Charms' is to In Flames what 'Lulu' was to Metallica. There is no other way to describe this failure.
02.09.2014 - 22:41
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
It isn't really that terrible but it's quite bad indeed. My favourite song is 'When The World Explodes'. Honestly I don't care much about this album at all... Last In Flames album I enjoyed was Come Clarity (however their last really good is Colony) so I'm not really very upset, angry or whatever. I was expecting album like this one.
03.09.2014 - 11:14
s_t_s
Am I the only one who thinks that compared to the rest of the album "Rusted Nail" sounds pretty solid ? This is the only track I like so far and at the same time it seems a bit lost on this album, maybe a leftover from Sounds of A Playground Fading ?
04.09.2014 - 00:10
Rating: 6
Therapy?
I'm listening to an online stream of the album and... oh jeez... I have supported In Flames since Clayman (that was my first contact with IF and I love both their old and new work up to now) I really enjoy SOAPF a lot, so I was really excited for this new album. But my first listen leaves me with a bad impression... although I would not call it horrible. However, I'm completely missing the flow in this album, which I enjoyed so much in SOAPF. This feels kind of like a collection of scrapped b-sides. It's far less rough as well (some of you would say the same about SOAPF but oh well) and I agree Anders' clean voice is way too overused here. And it mostly doesn't sound very good.

Furthermore it doesnt feel very... polished? It may be a poor choice in words but by that I do not mean the production quality. That is quite fine I think. It's just that a lot of songs seem to be lacking something and end quite abruptly, while they could have done a lot more with them. I understand that this album was deliberately produced in a short period of time, so as to see how the band would deliver under pressure. Well I'm sad to say... they should have taken more time for it because the lack of time painfully shows.

I'm gonna give this a couple more spins before rating it though. I can't give up yet... but I'm feeling sad at the moment It's very painful to have to admit this isn't very good stuff by my all-time favourite band.
05.09.2014 - 01:05
Lord_Agony
My faith in metal is shaking
Not that I expected anything great, but still...
05.09.2014 - 02:01
svartberger
Here we go again
05.09.2014 - 02:42
Opethian
Written by FreddeSwede on 06.07.2014 at 21:52

Atleast I have a sense of humor. Hopefully In Flames do too...

That was the Gospel, truth after truth. FUCK IN FLAMES ...
05.09.2014 - 02:43
Opethian
Written by Therapy? on 04.09.2014 at 00:10

I'm listening to an online stream of the album and... oh jeez... I have supported In Flames since Clayman (that was my first contact with IF and I love both their old and new work up to now) I really enjoy SOAPF a lot, so I was really excited for this new album. But my first listen leaves me with a bad impression... although I would not call it horrible. However, I'm completely missing the flow in this album, which I enjoyed so much in SOAPF. This feels kind of like a collection of scrapped b-sides. It's far less rough as well (some of you would say the same about SOAPF but oh well) and I agree Anders' clean voice is way too overused here. And it mostly doesn't sound very good.

Furthermore it doesnt feel very... polished? It may be a poor choice in words but by that I do not mean the production quality. That is quite fine I think. It's just that a lot of songs seem to be lacking something and end quite abruptly, while they could have done a lot more with them. I understand that this album was deliberately produced in a short period of time, so as to see how the band would deliver under pressure. Well I'm sad to say... they should have taken more time for it because the lack of time painfully shows.

I'm gonna give this a couple more spins before rating it though. I can't give up yet... but I'm feeling sad at the moment It's very painful to have to admit this isn't very good stuff by my all-time favourite band.

SOAPF? I couldn't even get 2 tracks into that POS.
05.09.2014 - 10:17
Thor arise
I did not excpet much, but....worse than A Sense of purpouse? I am amazed.
05.09.2014 - 10:55
VonMal
Some dude on lastfm put it best:

"I expected absolutely nothing... but somehow I am still disappointed"
05.09.2014 - 11:47
s_t_s
Need to listen to it once more time before rating but already I don't feel like listening to it again Why oh why ? Like some other dudes here I expected something in the vein of Rusted Nail (which is already hard to swallow at first listen) but this album came as a surprise' and definitely not a good one
05.09.2014 - 12:39
krrrrebets
Account deleted
Made it through he third song. Gonna listen to it later on, but so far it sounds like some heavier indie band... And that just sucks. At least for such a band.
05.09.2014 - 12:47
OpenMind
Is any song worth to listen in this album^???
05.09.2014 - 15:06
Whoa, 4.6?

is it really that bad?
05.09.2014 - 15:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 05.09.2014 at 12:35
The biggest letdown of the year award goes toooooooooo

I don't think so - a lot of people were expecting this to suck. It'll probably go to Wintersun.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.09.2014 - 15:31
Sword_Chant
Written by The Melting Snow on 05.09.2014 at 15:06

Whoa, 4.6?

is it really that bad?

Yep, it's really that bad.
05.09.2014 - 17:05
Neshat
Unfortunately andres vocal ruined everything
05.09.2014 - 17:51
iMorphball
It's iffy, but I like some stuff on here.

Also, please reserve 1 ratings for shit like LuLu, because that actually was garbage with 0 redeeming qualities.
05.09.2014 - 18:08
Reaper_Redeemer
The 'worst ever' title describes it well. I believe this is even worse than lulu.
05.09.2014 - 18:25
s_t_s
Written by OpenMind on 05.09.2014 at 12:47

Is any song worth to listen in this album^???

I think that Rusted Nail is pretty ok even tho it seems strange to the rest of the album... Should be pretty fine performed live !
05.09.2014 - 18:26
Pile of reeking shit record. At least Sounds of Playground Fading had Deliver Us and A New Dawn.
05.09.2014 - 18:58
Rating: 7
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
This album deserves 5-6 ... nothing more ... nothing less!
05.09.2014 - 19:04
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.09.2014 at 15:12

It'll probably go to Wintersun.

Again...
Along with drama of the year fo sho.
05.09.2014 - 19:22
Rating: 9
Cassian
To begin with, I never expected them to do anything similar to their previous efforts since I was starting to get bored. I was surprised at first, but then I decided to accept the fact that they had changed direction.

At the moment, I am completely taken away by this amazing album. It is different, but it is beautiful in its own way.
05.09.2014 - 20:24
Rating: 9
Windir
My first impression was: this is crap! but listening again I realized it's actually a pretty good album. Listen again! (btw subterranean is my fav In Flames record)
05.09.2014 - 20:26
Darth Revan
I don't know what it is about that brownish white background, but whenever I see it on an album cover, the music blows.
05.09.2014 - 21:11
Rating: 5
FreddeSwede
Written by Opethian on 05.09.2014 at 02:42

Written by FreddeSwede on 06.07.2014 at 21:52

Atleast I have a sense of humor. Hopefully In Flames do too...

That was the Gospel, truth after truth. FUCK IN FLAMES ...

Like Hitler said, "we'll have to put our trust in the new At The Gates album".
05.09.2014 - 21:40
So Boring!!!what si this?rusted nail is the only one you can like......

Hits total: 31284 | This month: 59