Metal Storm logo
Travelling, in general - or in particular

16.05.2014 - 22:26
Ilham
Giant robot
Oi!

Holy shitsnacks! No general thread about travelling on MS? Here's one, now we have room for stories, questions, and tips.

Where do you wanna go?
Do you have a dream destination?
Places to avoid?
What is the craziest thing that happened to you while travelling abroad?
Useful tips you learned on the road?
16.05.2014 - 22:46
Ilham
Giant robot
Ok, I'll start you off :
This summer, as a graduation gift to myself, I'm considering a backpacking trip alone in Northern Europe : Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland. If you have anything to share about your experience there as a tourist, or a local, I'd be happy to hear about it!

As both French and Moroccan, I'd be happy to tell you about both countries. My mother is opening an inn in the mountains, near Meknes in Morocco, and she's an expert in everything tourism related. I have stayed 7 years in the south of France, and seen quite a bit of the rest of the country during that time. I'd be happy to pass tips and information on to you, fellow traveller.

Craziest story ? Arriving at Nîmes at 9 pm, for the popular Feria "festival" that mostly promotes the drinking of wine, of which I drank two glasses, and waking up in Paris at 7 am the next day. Not a single memory of how I got there. Always watch your glass, always.
17.05.2014 - 00:25
ANGEL REAPER
I hate travelling in general and in particular too much stress anyway
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.05.2014 - 01:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Where do you wanna go?

Valhalla !!!
Argentina, USA (Idaho, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas, Viomming, Arizona, some weird states), Ausie, Canada(kick troys ass), Italy, Scotland

Do you have a dream destination?

No just wonder

Places to avoid?

Traditional islam states as Arabia Saudia, and some Africa crisis, Syria, Russia, Ukraine (now) , some S America and Asia lands

2 times my mobiled felt into the sea (one stollen but seagull, other heavy storm)

face the fight and walk tall no metter where you are and dont be a wussie, fight if needet
keep you dick in the penths
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.05.2014 - 19:38
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ilham on 16.05.2014 at 22:46

Ok, I'll start you off :
This summer, as a graduation gift to myself, I'm considering a backpacking trip alone in Northern Europe : Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland. If you have anything to share about your experience there as a tourist, or a local, I'd be happy to hear about it!

I haven't really visited the wild and beautiful Nordic nature but I can say that I like the two cities, I've visited: Helsinki and Stockholm. Nordic countries have a very particular atmosphere... they seem to have something nice and sunny about them, even when it's winter and everything is covered in snow. Most people are smiling and happy (I'm talking like that because where I live, it's more or less the opposite), people are outgoing and sporty (lots of joggers around the town)... Swedish women really look stunning... they're like elvish princesses... tall and slim and with long fair hair...

When you're in Stockholm, you should visit Skansen... it's the world's first open air museum and also has a rather large zoo with different northern animals...
In Helsinki I love how much nature they have in and around the town... so many lovely parks and little skerries with colourful houses...

I've also visited Copenhagen... that's also a nice place to visit... You could start the trip in Denmark and then make your way through all the countries and finishing the journey in Helsinki...
17.05.2014 - 20:05
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 01:15

Where do you wanna go?

Valhalla !!!

i somehow imagine you like this upon your arrival
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.05.2014 - 22:03
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Ernis on 17.05.2014 at 19:38

I haven't really visited the wild and beautiful Nordic nature but I can say that I like the two cities, I've visited: Helsinki and Stockholm. Nordic countries have a very particular atmosphere... they seem to have something nice and sunny about them, even when it's winter and everything is covered in snow. Most people are smiling and happy (I'm talking like that because where I live, it's more or less the opposite), people are outgoing and sporty (lots of joggers around the town)... Swedish women really look stunning... they're like elvish princesses... tall and slim and with long fair hair...

When you're in Stockholm, you should visit Skansen... it's the world's first open air museum and also has a rather large zoo with different northern animals...
In Helsinki I love how much nature they have in and around the town... so many lovely parks and little skerries with colourful houses...

I've also visited Copenhagen... that's also a nice place to visit... You could start the trip in Denmark and then make your way through all the countries and finishing the journey in Helsinki...

Thanks for sharing that. That's why I want to go up north, I've only been around the Mediterranean sea, and well, I need to see something else at some point. It will be during this summer, so my chances of seeing snow are very slim, I suppose. I read something about that museum, it'll be on my list of things to do, but I'm also really looking for non-touristy things to do. Waiting on a local's advice for that .

Well, I'm not going up there to look at the women, nor to look at the men. But at least I'll stand out, I'm short, dark haired, dark skinned, and fat. Haha.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do, Copenhagen first, Helsinki last. I'll make my way back to France through Germany, which I haven't seen enough of yet. It'll all be by train, and ferry obviously. I'll take my time, I want to spend at least 3/4 in each place.

How did you travel by the way?
17.05.2014 - 22:05
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 01:15

2 times my mobiled felt into the sea (one stollen but seagull, other heavy storm)

face the fight and walk tall no metter where you are and dont be a wussie, fight if needet
keep you dick in the penths

Yeah I don't know why I'm not surprised about the seagull thing. I can very well picture you fighting birds in public places.
17.05.2014 - 22:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 17.05.2014 at 19:38

Written by Ilham on 16.05.2014 at 22:46

Ok, I'll start you off :

you should visit a land of midnight sun , not ovearted Norge but Sverige ... Luleå .. damn Vali Bala chose narvik not Lule I love when all is dark at 13:00 and no daylight frozen rivers, snow fields
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2014 - 22:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 17.05.2014 at 22:03

[

Tallin - helsiki
Tallin - Stockholm are good feru lines
Riga-Stockholm are better because longer trip you can be there at night

seagull thought its food and my mobile by by and damn bird flow after it ...
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2014 - 22:24
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 22:08

Tallin - helsiki

Dude, I thought I asked Ernis that question .
I'd have loved to go on and add other Baltic countries, but the Eurail global pass doesn't include those.
17.05.2014 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 17.05.2014 at 22:24

Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 22:08

Tallin - helsiki

Dude, I thought I asked Ernis that question .
I'd have loved to go on and add other Baltic countries, but the Eurail global pass doesn't include those.

eurail
you dont need fuking visa to enter inbaltics if you have French passport , all Balyics are in EU and now (most important NATO ) since evil modafuka man lives in the east
so no visa for Baltics
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2014 - 22:33
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 22:28

eurail
you dont need fuking visa to enter inbaltics if you have French passport , all Balyics are in EU and now (most important NATO ) since evil modafuka man lives in the east
so no visa for Baltics

I'm not talking about passports, it's basically a global train ticket that you buy and you can board "any" train within the borders of certain countries, during a certain amount of time.
17.05.2014 - 22:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 17.05.2014 at 22:33

Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 22:28

eurail
so no visa for Baltics

I'm not talking about passports, it's basically a global train ticket that you buy and you can board "any" train within the borders of certain countries, during a certain amount of time.

I see. well Baltics has no such train ;(
----

apos;'
[image]
18.05.2014 - 11:34
Leni
Where do you wanna go? - Ireland, Iceland, Norway
Do you have a dream destination? - Easter Island
Places to avoid? - None
What is the craziest thing that happened to you while travelling abroad? - Unfortunately none
Useful tips you learned on the road? - bring a little less staff with me))
18.05.2014 - 11:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Leni on 18.05.2014 at 11:34

Places to avoid? - None

Put down India.

Great country, fucked up people. Trust me, you brain will twist in every second of your stay in India.
18.05.2014 - 12:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I think we have a thread related to Travelling/Vacation or something like that.
18.05.2014 - 13:14
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.05.2014 at 12:18

Do we? Well I have looked, I used the search thingy. There is one about someone asking for tips on backpacking in Europe precisely though.

I've never been to India, but I kinda have the feeling that the experience might be similar to visiting Morocco. Beautiful nature, a great variety of landscapes, but shitty, filthy, overpopulated dangerous cities. Great food, stunning works of art and architecture, but creepy, greedy, twisted, vicious people. Once again, I'm describing Morocco. Is that what you meant?
18.05.2014 - 16:20
mz
Don't have much time/money now but I'll be visiting some EU countries next year as travelling seems much easier in European countries compared to Iran. Particularly, I'd be glad to visit Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France and Switzerland. They would be short vacations for me.
This summer, I'd be back to home and friends are already planning for crazy travels. We will likely go to southern parts of the country to see Persian Gulf. Moreover, a trip to the norther areas is also very good, and it is easy.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.05.2014 - 16:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mz on 18.05.2014 at 16:20

Don't have much time/money now but I'll be visiting some EU countries next year as travelling seems much easier in European countries compared to Iran. Particularly, I'd be glad to visit Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France and Switzerland. They would be short vacations for me.
This summer, I'd be back to home and friends are already planning for crazy travels. We will likely go to southern parts of the country to see Persian Gulf. Moreover, a trip to the norther areas is also very good, and it is easy.

'
Milan -. Zurich is train --- its easy to go to Suisse
----

apos;'
[image]
18.05.2014 - 16:38
mz
Written by Bad English on 18.05.2014 at 16:33

'
Milan -. Zurich is train --- its easy to go to Suisse

Yeah, but I have a friend there which is also extremely busy now. Three other friends and I are planning to gather, so it is not just my case.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.05.2014 - 19:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ilham on 18.05.2014 at 13:14

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.05.2014 at 12:18

I've never been to India, but I kinda have the feeling that the experience might be similar to visiting Morocco. Beautiful nature, a great variety of landscapes, but shitty, filthy, overpopulated dangerous cities. Great food, stunning works of art and architecture, but creepy, greedy, twisted, vicious people. Once again, I'm describing Morocco. Is that what you meant?

I don't know the south of India. But, in extreme north everything is just awesome. Landscapes, awesome food, great muesuems, art and craft and lovely fucking weather. If you get a chance to visit India, make sure you put Jammu and Kashmir on your checklist. It's damn good place. Whereas, in central you'll vomit the amount of population, pollution and worst weather prevails it literally kills the man. In South(I never been there, only heard) the weather kills it. Also food is fucking nasty. You won't have a great time out there(except Goa where they have tons of beaches). I've been into east and it's good but wasn't impressed at all(although Sikkim is fucking good place to hang out). Yes, you tend to face shitty, filthy, stupid Indians out here on day-to-day basis but yet you get good friends who makes your day and life freaking good. As I said, India is great place but people are fucked.
18.05.2014 - 19:59
Ernis
狼獾

By sea... Helsinki is two and a half hours from Tallinn and if you're going to Stockholm, then you spend one night on the ship...
There's also regular air service by Finnair and Estonian Air(SAS)...

I don't know about Sweden now, but in Finland train tickets can be very expensive... but the quality is said to be very good...
18.05.2014 - 20:04
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Ernis on 18.05.2014 at 19:59

By sea... Helsinki is two and a half hours from Tallinn and if you're going to Stockholm, then you spend one night on the ship...

I don't know about Sweden now, but in Finland train tickets can be very expensive... but the quality is said to be very good...

Okay thanks for the details. The train and ferry fares should be included in the global Eurail pass thingy I'll buy. Well I hope so anyway. So no planes for me. I see you're still attached to the "..." as the only form of punctuation you use .
18.05.2014 - 20:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 18.05.2014 at 19:59

man by air SAS she might think its Special Air Service not Scandinavian Airline Sythem

Hmmm as dar Luleå-Stockholm, you can pay same price by train as by plain and 1h and 20h is diference

Stockholm, - area now are prices like 150 krones ... but atm ...
----

apos;'
[image]
19.05.2014 - 04:59
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 18.05.2014 at 20:27

man by air SAS she might think its Special Air Service not Scandinavian Airline Sythem

Yes, of course, because it's the first thing that comes to mind when someone's mentioning SAS regarding a trip to the Nordic countries.

Anyhow, I have no clue what is on your list regarding Norway or where exactly will you go... but it is a backpacker's paradise. I was an exchange student in Trondheim last year and spent a great amount of my time outdoors - hiking, doing cabin trips with friends, travelling around. There is a lot to see if you don't wait around for some miracle to find you (the curious forest animals will find you first). Also, - "there is no bad weather, just bad clothing" - is a super annoying saying someone always says when you have forgotten you're in Norway, not Miami. Nevertheless, even with rain Norway is awesome. As my mother would say - it is a country worth returning to. (And they do! When I get more money I hope to go back there and see new places.)

About myself... I probably won't say much as I'm super sleepy at the moment, but I LOVE travelling and being 'the explorer'. I'm not one of those people who are just crossing things off their check-list so I avoid trips provided by tourism companies. I think it's a waste of time when you're in an unknown place for such little time and you do nothing to actually see it. So as a true geographer (I do study Earth sciences at uni) I'm always wandering around. I am super lost most of the time and I absolutely love it!
I'm moving to Munich in a week so I'll have a lot of new opportunities and a lot of time, obviously, but the one thing that I can't wait to do is hiking in the Alps. Well, the one thing after I get some sleep tonight...
19.05.2014 - 11:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 19.05.2014 at 04:59

Yes, of course, because it's the first thing that comes to mind when someone's mentioning SAS regarding a trip to the Nordic countries.

Now main tink what comes whit SAS is Special Air Servive as british special fources, who knows maybe onky Navy SEAL are better special fources unit and SAS born long time before SAS as Scandinavian Airline Sythem what damn Norweagian makes weeker .. and damn Finland has Finnair --- so reasl SAS maybe less rthen 1% men can enter i hat service rest ar weed out as week
----

apos;'
[image]
19.05.2014 - 19:47
Ernis
狼獾

Hmmm as dar Luleå-Stockholm, you can pay same price by train as by plain and 1h and 20h is diference

I don't know what "special air service" you mean...

ok, googled it. Man, not everyone shares your love and interest of military.

The only SAS I have ever known is Scandinavian Airlines and that's also the first result when you google the acronym in the first place.
19.05.2014 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 19.05.2014 at 19:47

I don't know what "special air service" you mean...

ok, googled it. Man, not everyone shares your love and interest of military.

The only SAS I have ever known is Scandinavian Airlines and that's also the first result when you google the acronym in the first place.

SAS are most know, all should know, best or secen best military unit in the world ... everyone knows them ... must know , its like knowing who was JFK or Churchil ....
----

apos;'
[image]
19.05.2014 - 20:39
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 19.05.2014 at 19:51

SAS are most know, all should know, best or secen best military unit in the world ... everyone knows them ... must know , its like knowing who was JFK or Churchil ....

Nope. No one tells me I must know military units. I have no interest in military... JFK and Churchill were important historical figures. Military units are more specific and I do not consider them to be part of general knowledge... or there's a possibility I'm just an idiot who just missed out on some history classes... it's off topic, by the way...

Speaking of travelling... I'd like to go and visit St. Petersburg. It's a beautiful city and a rather short distance from Tallinn.