08. The Book Of Sand (The Abomination)
09. The Head Of The Hydra
10. City Of Mirrors
11. Eater Of Gods
12. Upon Pillars Of Dust
13. The Night Eternal

Additional info
Music by Anders Björler and Jonas Björler
Lyrics by Tomas "Tompa" Lindberg except El Altar Del Dios Desconocido which is taken from Ernesto Sabato's novel, Sobre héroes y tumbas (On Heroes and Tombs).
Recorded and Engineered by Fredrik Nordström, Henrik Udd
Recorded and Edited by Johan Henriksson
Mixed by Charlie Storm
Mastered by MK
Recorded (El Altar Del Dios Desconocido) by Danny Biggin
Mixed and Mastered by Jens Bogren
Produced by Fredrik Nordström
Artwork and Design by Costin Chioreanu

Release dates:
  • October 24: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Finland
  • October 27: North America, UK, Benelux, France, Belgium, Greece, Denmark, Portugal, Norway
  • October 29: Italy, Spain, Poland
  • October 24: Sweden, Japan

Formats:
  • Jewel Case CD (20 pages Booklet)
  • Limited Mediabook CD (40 pages booklet, 2 bonustracks & patch, CM Europe)
  • * Digipak CD (20 pages booklet, 2 bonustracks & patch, CM USA)
  • Limited 3-Disc Artbook (48 pages booklet, 4 bonustracks, 5.1 surround mix DVD & patch) / Limited to 3,000 copies
  • Cassette (Limited to 500 copies)
  • Digital Download
  • 2×10" Boxset (20 pages booklet & poster) / Limited to 1,000x copies worldwide from CM Distro
  • 12″ Gatefold 180gr LP (20 pages booklet & poster)

The 12" LP format coloured vinyl editions:
  • Black (Unlimited)
  • Transparent Red (Limited to 300x copies from CM Webshop Europe)
  • Dark Green (Limited to 500x copies from CM Distro Europe)
  • Clear (Limited to 500x copies for Sweden originally, but was distributed all over EU)
  • Solid Red (Limited to 500x copies for Sweden)
  • Lilac Marble (Limited to 100x copies from CM Distro USA)
  • Blue Marble (Limited to 200x copies from CM Distro USA)
  • Magenta Marble (Limited to 200x copies from CM Distro USA)
  • Ash Grey Marble (Limited to 500x copies from CM Distro USA)
  • Silver (Limited to 400x copies from CM USA)
  • Gold (Limited to 1,500x copies from CM USA)
  • White (Limited to 100x copies, exclusive MDF edition in the USA)

Staff review by
Mattybu
Rating:
N/A
Full disclosure: At The Gates is one of my favourite bands. And when I say that, I don't mean in my top 50. They are in the running for #1. It's been almost 20 years since the release of Slaughter Of The Soul, an album considered by many (myself included) to be one of the finest melodic death metal recordings ever. At last, they are back with a new album - At War With Reality.

Read more ››
published 10.11.2014 | Comments (11)

Found in 53 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 99   Visited by: 1302 users
29.10.2014 - 22:17
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
This is the latest addition to my album collection and after five spins, I'm really enjoying this one. Rating pending but it will be a high rating because I think this is a really good album.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
30.10.2014 - 08:58
Joe Zombie
I love this album and highly enjoy every track. To me that is deserving of a 10, and I don't like to hand those out often. Memorable riffs and great vocals as usual from Tomas. Not disappointed one bit. Worth the wait!
30.10.2014 - 09:24
Rating: 9
joshsteph
Just finished listening to it, and I find it really good. A great 21st century continuation of where they were with Slaughter Of The Soul. Reading some negative comments about it made me ask, what could they do more than this? Great riffs, really good melodies, every song is well written, well structured. I don't think they wanted to revolutionize something with this album, they just did what they are known for.
30.10.2014 - 21:39
Sword_Chant
I can't decide what rating to give this at the minute. Few more listens are in order!
31.10.2014 - 01:49
Written by joshsteph on 30.10.2014 at 09:24

I don't think they wanted to revolutionize something with this album, they just did what they are known for.

Bingo!
31.10.2014 - 11:29
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 16.10.2014 at 15:40

I'm not sure what's more flat: the songs, the production or the vocals. I think Heroes And Tombs and The Conspiracy Of The Blind are the only things I enjoyed on this

Yep, par for the course. Just waiting now for Marcel to say how average he finds it.
----
31.10.2014 - 11:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 31.10.2014 at 11:29

Yep, par for the course. Just waiting now for Marcel to say how average he finds it.

Can already confirm he feels more or less the same way.
31.10.2014 - 21:59
Traezeus
Solid release. Not the best of 2014 but I'm enjoying it thus far.
31.10.2014 - 23:49
The Benighted
Composition-wise, this is incredibly consistent. Does it read like an extension of SotS? Yes and no. There are nods to their older works all over the album, but it reads more like a properly planned sequel to it than anything else. My only main complaint is with the production job; It sucks. Modern metal needs to understand why it can't just thin and lift everything. It ends up sounding plastic and weak, and there's no real "punch" anywhere.

Other than that, what is up Lindberg's vocals? He sounds buried in the mix, like they're trying to cover up his slightly less fearsome performance. I'm almost worried he's losing his voice :/
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
02.11.2014 - 22:08
JavierML
I really liked it, has more variations that previous albums lacked, with old school Gothenburg Metal riffs but more melodies and bridges, resulting less tedious. The production is awesome, making every instrument sound clear. Someone already said they didn't invent anything, rather improve what they know.
03.11.2014 - 20:56
Vombatus
Potorro
This reminds me of the last Carcass album... legendary band releasing something after a very long period, so massive hype, but ends up being completely uninspired, boring, overproduced and safe sounding that gets lots of positive feedback because of the name and the label they have behind.
I can't listen to albums like these anymore, I'd die of boredom.
03.11.2014 - 22:46
Rating: 7
Gelati
Written by Vombatus on 03.11.2014 at 20:56

This reminds me of the last Carcass album... legendary band releasing something after a very long period, so massive hype, but ends up being completely uninspired, boring, overproduced and safe sounding that gets lots of positive feedback because of the name and the label they have behind.

You know I actually had this exact predisposition heading in and it took me a second listen and me telling myself to just listen to it as if it wasn't them. I'm normally really good at looking at an album in isolation but I just couldn't bring myself to do it until the second time through on this one. After another listen it's quite solid. Nothing revolutionary or anything, just sweet, catchy riffs.

There are always a few albums every year that I like for seemingly no rhyme or reason based on the sort of filter I've developed for myself based on the things I personally like and this is one of them now. Last year it was Alter Bridge and a few others. This yera it's this, the new In Flames (it's not that bad come on people), and prolly some others by years end. Not usually my cup of tea as I tend to like harmonically complex, progressive stylings and more creative structures but once in awhile, SIMPLICITY IS BLISS.
04.11.2014 - 03:00
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Enjoying this a lot - really glad they are back. My favourite comeback album since Alice in Chains released Black Gives Way to Blue in 2009.
----
04.11.2014 - 03:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 04.11.2014 at 03:00

Alice in Chains released Black Gives Way to Blue in 2009.

Probably one of the few comebacks which actually contained the soul of the early work, and not just the form.
04.11.2014 - 03:51
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by deadone on 04.11.2014 at 03:24

Written by Ace Frawley on 04.11.2014 at 03:00

Enjoying this a lot - really glad they are back. My favourite comeback album since Alice in Chains released Black Gives Way to Blue in 2009.

Didn't like Carcass' new one?

Didn't hate it but didn't like it a lot. Not like this one. I still rate Black Gives Way to Blue the greatest comeback album of all time.
----
04.11.2014 - 09:38
RattleSnake
GREAT ALBUM .. Well done.
04.11.2014 - 12:08
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Ace Frawley on 04.11.2014 at 03:51

Didn't hate it but didn't like it a lot. Not like this one. I still rate Black Gives Way to Blue the greatest comeback album of all time.

I second that.
04.11.2014 - 13:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 03.11.2014 at 20:56

So much this. It's not like I had any expectation of this record, I really didn't, but I will probably never listen to this again.
05.11.2014 - 00:55
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Gelati on 03.11.2014 at 22:46

You know I actually had this exact predisposition heading in and it took me a second listen and me telling myself to just listen to it as if it wasn't them.

I didn't really make the link between both bands until I was half way the album and felt a fervent desire to turn it off... and it was the same feeling with Surgical Steel (hence why the comparison clicked immediately afterwards). A second spin won't change much, I simply no longer enjoy this kind of boring soulless modern melodeath stuff.
05.11.2014 - 05:23
Gelati
Quote:

Black Gives Way to Blue as well as Time I by Wintersun are probably the most successful at pulling off the comeback.
05.11.2014 - 13:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quote:
Written by Gelati on 05.11.2014 at 05:23

Black Gives Way to Blue as well as Time I by Wintersun are probably the most successful at pulling off the comeback.

How is Time I a comeback album? Wintersun never split up.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2014 - 21:06
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.11.2014 at 13:49

That and calling Time 1 successful.
07.11.2014 - 10:49
Shadowcross
The Summoner
It hardly reinvents the wheel but as a follow up to SotS it's a very decent album.
I wouldn't say AotY tho.
Some tracks sound like 10/10, others more like 7/10 towards the end of the album IMO. The production is fine to my ears.
Valiant follow up and gets a 9/10 overall from me, as I am a fanboy
09.11.2014 - 05:35
Gelati
Quote:
Written by Kuroboshi on 06.11.2014 at 21:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.11.2014 at 13:49

That and calling Time 1 successful.

Mostly referring to the fact that there was 8 years between albums.
16.11.2014 - 23:20
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
It has not even one memorable song!
----
.:Saratan:.
18.11.2014 - 15:08
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi
Very catchy and sweet riffs, but very forgettable as well... Unlike their earlier albums. Will give it a few spins, but hardly the best comeback of all time-stuff.
22.12.2014 - 14:17
boo-boo
Written by .:Nataras:. on 16.11.2014 at 23:20

It has not even one memorable song!

Yep, this statement pretty much sums up my feelings.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
01.02.2015 - 22:28
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Kind of dropped out of Melodeath/Gothenberg ever since Insomnium went downhill about 4 years ago and haven't really looked back much... Maybe I should check this out though, always was a big fan of At the Gates.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
05.02.2015 - 21:22
A really fine ass release. Those whining about 'modern' production -If it genuinely hinders your enjoyment, well, too bad but blaming the band for - it is kinda lame. Besides this is where melodic death not old school thrash/death. Stylistically, it largely stays true to its roots maybe looses a little of the 'death' like edge of SOTS, and in comes some modern metal riff writing influences
Vocals have lost the sharp cutting edge it seems, but the production complements it perfectly for me. At first I hated the diluted airy vocals, but it grew on me over multiple listens.

I don't like the whole Idea of self righteous fandom over albums so I'll come out and say - I loved the Slaughter of the Souls when I heard it. But if I throw the context of time out of the window - This album, has much mature songwriting and moderates really well between repetition and change of mood. It is just so intentional and well connected. This is a treasure chest of simple melodic death metal written really well with lot of memorable moments. The only dull moment was the bonus track of Skin of fire with a slow tempo that was not justified with any intense melodic atmosphere, rather a bunch of lazy riffs you can't wait to be over with.
At War With Reality is simply gorgeous.

4/5
14.03.2015 - 18:01
Coma666
Honestly i didn't think that this album would be good because of the many disappointments that we already saw from old bands trying to come back to fame after 10 or fifteen years but this is a solid album very simple full of many haunting tunes the production is ok and yes it should satisfy any of at the gates fans.

Hits total: 23083 | This month: 59