Metal Storm logo
Slipknot vs Lordi - Mask issue

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 09.02.2007 - 18:06
Although each band has a different musical style and public image, both bands wear masks. The masks are not similar, since Lordi wear a full costume and Slipknot usually simple masks with jumpsuits... Both costumes/masks are homemade and both bands tried to keep their true identity secret...
This whole conversation started with a friend of mine who's a fan of Slipknot and eventually it got serious, so here I am, asking for your opinion. What do you think?
Of course there's the GWAR case too...

Poll

Who originally started the mask thing in your opinion?

GWAR started the whole thing!
I don't care! Both suck!
Slipknot
Lordi

Total votes: 116
02.03.2007 - 17:12
FOOCK Nam
I vote for Slikpnot. The mask of Lordi is more antique, they looks like monster of ancient time, the mask of Slikpnot is like more in modern era of nowadays because they have many small slots, sharp edges... though it refer most to Joey mask or his face making-up which I know most, no comment for Gwar. Also, Berzerker have masks, I think theirs are cool to but I prefer Slikpnot most. Anyways If I perform vocal on the stage I really feel confident with a horror mask like them. Its ok if without it though....
02.03.2007 - 17:20
Warman
Erotic Stains
I am not a Slipknot fan but I admit that I think their masks are awesome, especially Jordison's, Clown and that Pinhead guy (what's he called?).
----
02.03.2007 - 21:26
Carrion
Account deleted
I'd remember that he had somekind of nickname too.. Well anyways, I voted for Gwar, since I'm pretty sure that neither Slipknot nor Lordi started the mask thingy.. Actually I don't even care who invented it, and Lordi sucks, but I like Slipknot so I didn't vote the third option..
03.03.2007 - 15:22
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Actually I dislike the use of masks by any kind of bands/musicians. I don't think it suites them. Upto corpse paint is all right, but heavy painting or usage of masks don't look good
Especially on slipknot: they look like a bunch of jokers with those masks on. Maybe they wear it for cheap fame.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
04.03.2007 - 03:19
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by FOOCK Nam on 02.03.2007 at 17:12

I vote for Slikpnot. The mask of Lordi is more antique, they looks like monster of ancient time, the mask of Slikpnot is like more in modern era of nowadays because they have many small slots, sharp edges... though it refer most to Joey mask or his face making-up which I know most, no comment for Gwar.

Ypu just took my words (actually Joey doesn't wear face make-up). Their masks are more agressive, more, shall we say evil and scary, while Lordi's are plain monsters, Slipknot are like psycho masks, just look at that goddamn clown, or Mick... damn...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.03.2007 - 09:21
FOOCK Nam
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 04.03.2007 at 03:19

I vote for Slikpnot. The mask of Lordi is more antique, they looks like monster of ancient time, the mask of Slikpnot is like more in modern era of nowadays because they have many small slots, sharp edges... though it refer most to Joey mask or his face making-up which I know most, no comment for Gwar.

Ypu just took my words (actually Joey doesn't wear face make-up). Their masks are more agressive, more, shall we say evil and scary, while Lordi's are plain monsters, Slipknot are like psycho masks, just look at that goddamn clown, or Mick... damn...

"Psycho masks", thats right word to describe them, which I tried to find. It make them look so crazy, psycho, scary. But by Joey doesnt wear face make up, you meant he doesnt wear mask? By a friend I have known that he paints his face...
05.03.2007 - 01:40
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by FOOCK Nam on 04.03.2007 at 09:21

"Psycho masks", thats right word to describe them, which I tried to find. It make them look so crazy, psycho, scary. But by Joey doesnt wear face make up, you meant he doesnt wear mask? By a friend I have known that he paints his face...

I'm glad I've given the word, partner.And by Joey doesn't wear face make up I mean he only wears masks, no face paint.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

05.03.2007 - 07:07
FOOCK Nam
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 05.03.2007 at 01:40

Written by FOOCK Nam on 04.03.2007 at 09:21

I'm glad I've given the word, partner.And by Joey doesn't wear face make up I mean he only wears masks, no face paint.

Oh maybe Im mistaken that his mask is like painting face. His mask is white most and at eyes and nose/lips is black, isnt it? My friend is fan of Joey, so he paint his face like Joey mask, that make me thought mistakenly that Joey paints his face
05.03.2007 - 15:11
Spirit Crusher
Account deleted
I voted Gwar started the whole mask thing on the grounds that they did!
06.03.2007 - 04:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by FOOCK Nam on 05.03.2007 at 07:07

Oh maybe Im mistaken that his mask is like painting face. His mask is white most and at eyes and nose/lips is black, isnt it? My friend is fan of Joey, so he paint his face like Joey mask, that make me thought mistakenly that Joey paints his face

His mask does look like a painting face, 'cause like you said, it'swithe with black lines (not always eyes/mouth). It's a twited kabuki mask, a japanese mask used for theater acts.
----

06.03.2007 - 08:20
FOOCK Nam
@Cat eyes, you gave me more infomation about Joey mask.
10.03.2007 - 01:42
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by FOOCK Nam on 06.03.2007 at 08:20

@Cat eyes, you gave me more infomation about Joey mask.

No prob. http://www.black-goat.com/mask_joey.php Check this for more info on Joey's mask. And the other guys also.
----

10.03.2007 - 08:27
Icewings
La Luna
Well interesting topic, and well if we are going to talk about costumes and maks , this is such an old tradition in some music , so well I think neither started days , perphaps it is accredited to Gwar because they are older and their shows but I personally think neither , Now comparing masks , is not because I'm not a Slipknot fan but I just don't find interesting their maks , I prefer Lordi's and of course Gwar so this is my opinion and well as I said Interesting topic ...
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
10.03.2007 - 11:30
FOOCK Nam
@Cat eyes, its very informative for Slipknot. I really like Joey. Sadly that site, its download wallpaper doesnt work
10.03.2007 - 23:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
@Jet: oops.. I haven't checked that site in a while. Anyway I'm glad I could help with the mask thing.

@Icewings: actually teh Slipknot masks can be very interesting, each one has it's own meaning. They're supposed to represent the inner demons.
----

11.03.2007 - 16:05
Anathemani@c
OMG! What a topic! Iaberis thank you so much! You made me laugh again! Anyway... I think Slipknot starter the whole thing with the masks in rock and metal scene, although Lordi have a long story behind them before Eurovision...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
11.03.2007 - 16:09
Icewings
La Luna
@+{Cat Eyes}+ : Ohh they do dear ?UHMM I had no idea , but well I don't know they just don't call my attention like they look so uhmm normal ?I don't know like there's no much things original about it , is thinks that we can see , so maybe that's why , but well I respect you know ...
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
22.03.2007 - 14:22
FrOsTmOuRnE 0_o
Account deleted
id say slipknots from then until now how they have chnaged well not really chnaged same mask type but looks muhc muhc better now new and improved
02.04.2007 - 01:24
Thrash666
i fuckin hate when bands use masks!!!!!!! its about the music not how u look!!!!!
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
02.04.2007 - 02:36
W-Lash
Metal Master
I think that corpsepaint thing was before these masks. And neither Slipknot nor Lordi did it. Corpsepaint was invented in 70s by rock bands and a mask in fact is a variety of it.

By the way both bands suck.
02.04.2007 - 03:11
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Does anyone remember those Burger King commercials with Coq Roq (Cock Rock)? They were that band of guys in chicken costumes advertising the then-new chicken fries. Slipknot tried to sue them for ripping them off.

Uhhhhh...... Gwar anyone?

Yeah, I voted for Gwar. Don't get me wrong - I completely stand by Slipknot's right to wear masks, BUT if they stand by the statement that they are not copying GWAR (which I imagine they do stand by) then they also have to accept Coq Roq's right to do the same (and/or Lordi, if that's an issue).

Dave Brockie (Oderus from GWAR) is not exactly a Lordi fan, and believes they have wronged GWAR by dressing up that way. He, I believe, does have a right to make such statements, especially because the Lordi costumes are very similar in style to GWAR's.
02.04.2007 - 03:18
Corvus
Account deleted
Slipknot stole their stupid image from Mushroomhead.

This suck.
02.04.2007 - 21:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Author on 02.04.2007 at 03:11

Does anyone remember those Burger King commercials with Coq Roq (Cock Rock)? They were that band of guys in chicken costumes advertising the then-new chicken fries. Slipknot tried to sue them for ripping them off.

Uhhhhh...... Gwar anyone?

Yeah, I voted for Gwar. Don't get me wrong - I completely stand by Slipknot's right to wear masks, BUT if they stand by the statement that they are not copying GWAR (which I imagine they do stand by) then they also have to accept Coq Roq's right to do the same (and/or Lordi, if that's an issue).

Dave Brockie (Oderus from GWAR) is not exactly a Lordi fan, and believes they have wronged GWAR by dressing up that way. He, I believe, does have a right to make such statements, especially because the Lordi costumes are very similar in style to GWAR's.

I remember those. I will never forgot those. Just when I thought they couldn't make a commercial more disturbing than those ones with the King (like waking up to find him next to you in bed?!)... boom.

Thankfully they were short lived.

We can thank Slipknot and Lawyers for putting an early end to that one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.07.2007 - 13:25
behrad_thrash
Account deleted
i vote both ,slipknot and lordi...
26.02.2008 - 17:47
NOИ
you forgot to add The Berzerker in the beginning. they wear masks too. anyway, even if I like Slipknot more, I vote for Gwar because I think they started it first...
28.02.2008 - 07:00
SilentScream
Blasphemer
It was either Mushroomhead or Gwar.

Slipknot and Lordi? Hell no.
23.03.2008 - 23:03
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I think it was Gwar,has I remember they were The 1º ones to were a mask...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
25.03.2008 - 03:03
Evil Chip
Slipknot mask are the best masks. I think the started the mask thing. Their music may not be the most intellectual thing but their mask are great.
25.03.2008 - 11:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Evil Chip on 25.03.2008 at 03:03

Slipknot mask are the best masks. I think the started the mask thing. Their music may not be the most intellectual thing but their mask are great.

Disagree boat thinks are bad , that cas ei prefere some hooligan or robery mask into NSBM how such crapy masks like thay had
I love reality not fantasy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.03.2008 - 12:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Jeez, people before both Slipknot and Lordi, GWAR already used masks, the way Kiss used make-up was in the way one uses masks, Crimson Glory already used masks as well.

So, the right option isn't mentioned in this poll.

The option should be: NEITHER
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996