09. Cupid Carries A Gun
10. Odds Of Even
11. Day 3 [deluxe edition bonus]
12. Fated, Faithful, Fatal [deluxe edition bonus]
13. Fall Of The House Of Death [deluxe edition bonus]

Staff review by
Ilham
Rating:
Everyone grows old. Or "older", if that word scares you less. Some better than others.

Read more ››
published 04.01.2015 | Comments (36)

Found in 15 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 28   Visited by: 597 users
13.01.2015 - 16:16
tibosax

Streaming here : http://www.lesinrocks.com/2015/01/12/musique/marilyn-manson-the-pale-emperor-en-ecoute-en-avant-premiere-integrale-11545443/
13.01.2015 - 17:20
Rating: 9
Ilham
Giant robot
I'll 9 the fucker as soon as possible.
13.01.2015 - 23:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Bah! That link aint working for me.

Written by Ilham on 13.01.2015 at 17:20

I'll 9 the fucker as soon as possible.

Talk about "growing on you" considering your previous rating (I know numbers dont mean that much but still).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2015 - 00:00
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2015 at 23:23

Bah! That link aint working for me.
Talk about "growing on you" considering your previous rating (I know numbers dont mean that much but still).

Weird, and here? http://www.lesinrocks.com/2015/01/12/musique/marilyn-manson-the-pale-emperor-en-ecoute-en-avant-premiere-integrale-11545443/

Yeah, I don't regret the review rating, but the 9 I give when I can't help myself from listening to it 24/7 coming back all the time. So it deserves it.
20.01.2015 - 20:41
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I took two spins of this album so far, but I can't quite rate it. Don't really have an opinion about it yet, other than I keep want to replay it (I assume that's a good sign. Hadn't had that feeling since Holy Wood with MM).
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
21.01.2015 - 05:16
Rating: 6
Olives

Meh, I really wanted to like it, but I don't.
21.01.2015 - 10:00
joshsteph

To me it sounds like a constant mix of The Beautiful People and Speed Of Pain. The lyrics however are pretty good as always, but musically it doesn't seem to be a big effort.
21.01.2015 - 10:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by joshsteph on 21.01.2015 at 10:00

To me it sounds like a constant mix of The Beautiful People and Speed Of Pain.

I understand the mention of "Speed Of Pain", but there's not one song on this album that takes anything from "The Beautiful People". There is no aggression, almost no yelling, there is barely any distorted guitars, and there is no industrial edge.
21.01.2015 - 10:21
joshsteph

Written by Ilham on 21.01.2015 at 10:17

Written by joshsteph on 21.01.2015 at 10:00

To me it sounds like a constant mix of The Beautiful People and Speed Of Pain.

I understand the mention of "Speed Of Pain", but there's not one song on this album that takes anything from "The Beautiful People". There is no aggression, almost no yelling, there is barely any distorted guitars, and there is no industrial edge.

If you listen to the songs, most of them have the basic rhythm as The Beautiful People, played slower. I was talking about that, not the aggressiveness. That's why I said to me it sounds like a mix of those two songs.
21.01.2015 - 18:52
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by joshsteph on 21.01.2015 at 10:21

If you listen to the songs, most of them have the basic rhythm as The Beautiful People, played slower. I was talking about that, not the aggressiveness. That's why I said to me it sounds like a mix of those two songs.

I actually reviewed the album and listened to it a good 20 times already. The stomping rhythm is basical Manson's signature, I don't see why you don't like seeing it in this album. It's not as if he didn't do anything new this time, he's allowed to use his signature mark at least. But if you don't like it, that's another problem and I respect that.
21.01.2015 - 19:10
joshsteph

Written by Ilham on 21.01.2015 at 18:52

I actually reviewed the album and listened to it a good 20 times already. The stomping rhythm is basical Manson's signature, I don't see why you don't like seeing it in this album. It's not as if he didn't do anything new this time, he's allowed to use his signature mark at least. But if you don't like it, that's another problem and I respect that.

Yeah, I've read your review. It's just if it's a new album then from my point of view it has to be a new album. I can understand the simplicity, the melancholy, but my only problem is the monotony of the album. I can accept him using his main signature sound, but when it comes to creativity (and he's still one of the most creative and intelligent musicians) I'd like more effort from an artist like him. For example: Mechanical Animals followed by Holy Wood was creative and a step forward. The Pale Emperor seems kinda lazy in a musical way. Well, some like it, some don't.
21.01.2015 - 19:21
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by joshsteph on 21.01.2015 at 19:10

Yeah, I've read your review. It's just if it's a new album then from my point of view it has to be a new album. I can understand the simplicity, the melancholy, but my only problem is the monotony of the album. I can accept him using his main signature sound, but when it comes to creativity (and he's still one of the most creative and intelligent musicians) I'd like more effort from an artist like him. For example: Mechanical Animals followed by Holy Wood was creative and a step forward. The Pale Emperor seems kinda lazy in a musical way. Well, some like it, some don't.

Well, that's where I don't agree. It's okay if you don't like it really. But you can't call this lazy and uncreative because he basically never did this, the blues thing, and he displays a subtlety he only rarely have. It's not because it's simpler that it's lazy. "Less is more" you know. If you compare this to the four previous album, it can't be called uncreative. Those were uninspired and derivative of his older successful formula.

Anyway, I don't want to repeat myself, so if you don't hear it in the album, you won't understand where this comes from. But it's okay, more for me .
22.01.2015 - 07:22
Lit.
Account deleted
I haven't touched anything Manson since Antichrist Superstar, so I can't really compare this to the previous couple albums. I'm really impressed, otherwise. Really dig the swampy neo-alternablues 'n metal style he's got going.

Virtually every song sounds like it could be used in a promo for the Wyatt Family.
27.01.2015 - 23:35
Rating: 2
Mechaniacal

Pure garbage.
28.01.2015 - 08:36
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Mechaniacal on 27.01.2015 at 23:35

Pure garbage.

Not really.

Well, if you have checked out his earlier records, I think you'll make out a great difference with this new album. This is decent at its best. Good album with range of smooth flow of synth and calm alt rock music flowing in. Not his best but still a very interesting album from MM. Plus, he brought lot of variety in.

Give a one more spin and see if that makes a difference.
30.01.2015 - 19:36
skydancer

I consider this a definite return after Boring Villain. I am really feeling a nostalgic Mechanical Animals vibe in there, but maybe it's just me. Anyhow, this is probably the best stuff of his since the Golden Age of Grotesque.

Best songs for me:
The Mephistopheles of LA
Warship My Wreck
Odds of Even
04.02.2015 - 20:41
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Now that I've taken The Pale Emperor on a decent amout of rides to hell and back, all I can say is I'm stoked. This is the best Mariyn Manson album since Mechanical Animals (my precious) to me. I just love how the music is raw and organic and stripped down of unncessary flamboyant effects. It oozes a strange kind of obscure melancholy, I find darkness of Holy Wood on so many places, but just bits and pieces of it, not that it's in any way recycled. Loving it, loving it, loving it.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
16.02.2015 - 21:24
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by AnGina-- on 04.02.2015 at 20:41

Now that I've taken The Pale Emperor on a decent amout of rides to hell and back, all I can say is I'm stoked. This is the best Mariyn Manson album since Mechanical Animals (my precious) to me. I just love how the music is raw and organic and stripped down of unncessary flamboyant effects. It oozes a strange kind of obscure melancholy, I find darkness of Holy Wood on so many places, but just bits and pieces of it, not that it's in any way recycled. Loving it, loving it, loving it.

Somebody reminded Manson that his most adored musical influence is not Trent Reznor, nor any kind of electro/industrial band from the late 80s and early 90s, but shock rock in the vein of David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Screamin Jay Hawkins and Lead Belly. If it wasn't for Mechanical Animals, his discography could've been split into two eras. This disk seems more akin to the stuff he did on The High End Of Low, rather than the art-rock tinged Born Villain.

It also seems like Manson wanted this change as he hired some pretty notable personalities, such as Tyler Bates (known for composing movie soundtracks) and Gil Sharone (Stolen Babies, Dillinger Escape Plan, Puscifer). The influnece of rock and blues are far more evident here. The sound which left the impression that Manson emulated NIN is almost completely gone. I think this album proves that Manson is a fully fledged mature artist and musician. Born Villain was a little too ambitious and pretentious, and it ultimately failed to deliver. But The Pale Emperor is more akin to some of the early influences of blues and rock music. I mean look at the interpretations of the 3rd and 4th tracks. Those two, together with Deep Six are probably the most memorable moments of the album, although there ain't a bad track on it.
26.03.2015 - 22:31
Rating: 5
ADIresiduos

Written by Ilham on 21.01.2015 at 18:52

So I wasn't the only one who thought about that when listening to it. Indeed it seems he's getting older (musically speaking, age is irrelevant). Not one of my favorites, that's for sure. Too "light" compared to the classic Manson stuff, too bluesy. Maybe 3-4 songs are good semi-metal ones and are worth listening to, but the rest is too slow and down for me. I guess it won't be in the A-list from his discography. Hope in the future he gets back to the agressive and adrenalin-rushed songs of Antichrist, Grotesque, Holywood, etc.
Maybe it's just a phase he's going through.

26.03.2015 - 22:35
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by ADIresiduos on 26.03.2015 at 22:31

So I wasn't the only one who thought about that when listening to it. Indeed it seems he's getting older (musically speaking, age is irrelevant). Not one of my favorites, that's for sure. Too "light" compared to the classic Manson stuff, too bluesy. Maybe 3-4 songs are good semi-metal ones and are worth listening to, but the rest is too slow and down for me. I guess it won't be in the A-list from his discography. Hope in the future he gets back to the agressive and adrenalin-rushed songs of Antichrist, Grotesque, Holywood, etc.

You totally messed up the quote. Is this part^ what you wanted to say? Were you trying to quote me or the other guy?
27.03.2015 - 00:01
Rating: 5
ADIresiduos

Written by Ilham on 26.03.2015 at 22:35

Written by ADIresiduos on 26.03.2015 at 22:31

You totally messed up the quote. Is this part^ what you wanted to say? Were you trying to quote me or the other guy?

The other guy... sorry for that, man....
25.08.2015 - 23:00
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, this is actually very good.
I thought I wasn't gonna like it due to mainstreamness
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.08.2015 - 13:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 25.08.2015 at 23:00

Wow, this is actually very good.
I thought I wasn't gonna like it due to mainstreamness

Probably because this is the least mainstream thing Manson's ever released.
23.07.2016 - 23:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Really good record. First time he's not trying to sound like anyone else and just doing what he does best.
30.09.2016 - 23:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Such a classy motherfucker this album is. Manson has never sounded so good. Such a fucking awesome feeling to see one of first hero and favorite bands return to such amazing form.

The only plausible reason for the good music here maybe Tyler Bates and its good that he is continuing his collaboration with the next release as well.
20.07.2017 - 16:13
mz

Once again, he proves that he is one of the best metal vocalists.
Really loving this album now.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
30.07.2017 - 15:06
Vampyrique

The Pale Emperor features some of the best Marilyn Manson songs since Holy Wood with Killing Strangers, The Odds of Even, The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles, Cupid Carries a Gun. Not every track is top-notch but it is vastly superior to Born Villain (my least favourite Manson album).
05.01.2024 - 15:11
Rating: 7
miekka18

Its pretty good. Some good riffs, some acousting songs even. did not get bored while listening it

Hits total: 9945 | This month: 18