03. One By One
04. Sundown
05. Absent Without Leave
06. The Other Side
07. Seven Keys And Nine Doors
08. Downfall
09. Glades Of Summer
10. My Mind's Eye [radio edit] [limited edition digipack bonus]

When it comes to gothic metal, Morten Veland is a man that knows what he's doing and how to achieve it simply because he knows what gothic rock is, what metal is and how to blend both genres together in the most appropriate way and present gothic metal which is actually... gothic metal and not a creation of some label, magazine, audience etc! After a few years since we last heard something new from them and a line-up change in the female vocals Sirenia returned pretty strong with their new album, "Nine Destinies And A Downfall" which is a remarkable piece of gothic metal. Emotional, intense, esoteric and melodic are some of its characteristics, a bittersweet album to hallucinate you in creative melancholy.

Staring at the cover, i can't say that i'm impressed, i would expect something more beautiful and expressive and definitely something less... futuristic! Sirenia's music doesn't have the elements that would pace together with a cover which blends more modern ideas and technology, but i can skip this factor since i pretty much enjoyed the album! As for the title, the album consists of nine compositions, henceforth the "nine destinies", whereas the overall melancholy and inner emotions cause your esoteric defences to fall down, and that's where the "downfall" part comes in, a really beautiful title that made me expect big things from Morten and his company.

Monika Pedersen, the new female vocalist of Sirenia is really gifted, her voice is highly emotional and bittersweet, evoking an elegant or heart-rending surrounding atmosphere, giving meaning to every single word she utters in the way only she knows. Sometimes Veland makes his appearance in the vocal factor with his haunting clean vocals (having a sense of Carl McCoy on his more melodic vocals ["Elizium"]), like on "Absent Without Leave" and "Seven Keys And Nine Doors", and his powerful grunting interpretation, like on the hymn "Sundown" (and "Downfall" as well) grunting in outrage, concealing every single gentle emotion. The polyphonic passages are present here and there and pace wonderfully with the atmosphere evoking keyboard melodies that float like tear-filled dreams in the emotionally burdened aesthetic of the album. Some slightly more modern approach at some very few keyboard passages is vivid at times, but don't expect much. The rhythm section is tight and holds well the compositions, lending them groove (although you have to struggle a little bit to bear witness of the bass lines since they are being overshadowed a bit by the overall atmosphere), whereas the guitar work is well-conceived and well-expressed, with melodic, rhythmic and groovy riffing and some really interesting soloing passages here and there.

All in all, Sirenia did it again, offering a more easy to approach album, without losing in quality, showing that the time has come for them to be welcomed by a wider audience in the atmospheric, generally speaking, metal scene, they don't lack inspiration, emotion, atmosphere and the guts to go on, on the contrary. The touching "My Mind's Eye" with its lyrics speaking of a twisted "romance" that breathes an i-love-to-destroy-you feeling, the atmospheric and upbeat "Sundown", the emotional "One By One", the heart-rending "Downfall" and the elegiac "Glades Of Summer" will strike you down emotionally, along with the whole album since it flows as an entity, leaving you wounded. Just proceed, nothing less, nothing more.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 19.02.2007 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 31   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 146 users
19.02.2007 - 03:18
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I've looked forward to this review, I've read a couple in magazines and it use to get 5's and stuff. I've only heard one song, The Other Side, and I like it a lot, especially the symphonic choir part.
Good review!
19.02.2007 - 19:39
Rating: 9
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
hmmm... let's say i wasn't expecting so much of this album, but after this very positive review i think i'll check it out anyway
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
19.02.2007 - 20:09
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Finally! Just as I though I was probably the only one who actually likes this album! I was kinda afraid to look at the rating, I expected lower and I myself would give it a fair and square 8 also.

Truly, the only thing this album lacks is Morten's magnificant growls and that's it. And for those who think that the lack of growls is why they ''pity'' Morten and the new album are pure suckers, because it shows they know sh*t about Morten! In my opinion he's a fu*king brilliant musician - magnificent composer with great ideas and amazing musican. You can tell on each album, and NDAAD is no exception that it's made by Mr. Veland, because he has a very recognizable style, but nonetheless he always manages to surprise me with his originality.

This album actually has it all: sharp-edged tunes as well as slower, more tender melodies, amazing riffs, some great solos, while he still didn't forget to plug in the choirs and symphonic features. Really, more growls woudl make it a killer album, but still, a really decent Sirenia release and all I wish now is 2 things:
1) to see Sirenia live
2) for Morten to make music as long as he's alive and capable to rock my socksss with that guitar!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
19.02.2007 - 22:11
Bitch Boy
As a gothic rock album, it's an average one. As a gothic metal album for a gothic metal band, it's a shame. And I say this not because of the lack of Veland's growls, or because Heavyette isn't in the band anymore, it's mainly because it's too melo, even for being gothic rock. The only remarkable thing is Monika's vocals, I agree with you in that part. She's elegant and her voice is beautiful. The band made the right choice.
20.02.2007 - 10:16
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Been waiting for the review as well...a seems like a very nice album. Definatly worth checking out jugding by the review
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
20.02.2007 - 12:38
Rating: 5
Damned-In-Black
It's a great album... Quite different to the previous releases by virtue of the fact that it's more easy of access and there's minimal use of Morten's growls, but it still feels unmistakably like Sirenia. I think 8 is fair, too. I can't wait to get my copy!
20.02.2007 - 15:28
annodomini
OMG i cant believe it...i respect metal storm but this is one of the worse ratings i have seen here...New sirenia album is totally piece of sh... 4 or 5 songs sounds like the same one...i was a big sirenia fan but for now they are dead to me...
----
the riddle wants to be...
20.02.2007 - 20:10
Nasi2
Don't like the album, therefore I don't agree with the review (although it is very well written - as always). The problem is not that the band has taken a more easy-listening aproach, the problem's that even if we consider "Nine destinies..." a poppy album, it is not as catchy, memorable or funny as it should be. "Nine destinies...", for me, enters into that category in which I also put Within Temptation albums and similar ones, that is, boring, uninspired music, done a million times before and, above all, cheap. It lacks atmosphere (although they pretend to be very dark), it lacks strenght (even in Veland's growls, and in the choir), it lacks everything that makes a gothic metal abum a good piece of music, and it lacks also everything that makes a pop album interesting and funny. A bad move for Sirenia, I think. And the voice of mrs. Pederssen only makes things worse.
21.02.2007 - 10:12
Princ_Of_Horror
yes!! Cant wait to hear this album!!
21.02.2007 - 12:30
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I'm surprised about the rating as well - surprised that I am not the only one who enjoys this album as much

This album is indeed very different from the other two albums and Monika Pedersen's voice needed quite some getting used to. But the songs are all very well-written and despite of the album's catchiness it doesn't dilute the gothic elements the way Within Temptation did. I also believe this is Morten's most coherent release since "Beyond the Veil", and coherence is something Tristania's newest output is severely lacking. Very good album and truly deserving of this rating.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
23.02.2007 - 16:03
APOHAKC
The Bard
This review is well written, very interesting but I would never give such a high rate to this album, this is the worst album of the genre I listned in some time and songs like my mind's eye are horrible, but at least review is well written
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.03.2007 - 11:26
aga
Account deleted
By using exceptionally fragile female voices as a trademark Sirenia have always played along the shores of River Pop. However, with this work they have crossed it for good. Never mind they took some metal baggage on this voyage. The destination are financially greener pastures which are already being walked by other bands such as Within Temptation.
I would have expected such warning a little less concealed in a review for this work. At least a hint, that fans of the first hours might feel a little let down by this album, even if one or the other meaningless metaphor of this review would have to go for it. The words "wider audience" are the only clue even for a careful reader. While listening to the unrestrained plastic dolly vocals of the new singer my "esoteric defences" in fact went up, instead of down.
I used to draw strength from Sirenia's music while touring Europe on my bike in cold rain and storm. Now I'm only getting a warm shower for Cola light drinkers.
With regard to the overall rating - methinks the scale from 1 to 10, which is formally used on this site, is actually compressed by this review author to the range 8 to 10 with an occassional 5 (an average rating, mind you) marking an especially despicable piece of art.
As a final remark I hasten to add, that I feel there's absolutely nothing wrong with making some cash, after delivering so richly to the metal community. In a mainstream context this album is outstanding and beats listening to Mariah with ease. Undoubtedly this will pay off for the band.
08.03.2007 - 00:56
Angellorus
Account deleted
I can't believe most of the people likes this album. I don't mind if Sirenia changed their style, it could've been a good idea... but it's not. Music is OK, but ALL the songs are almost the same. And the new singer is horrible. I'm really dissapointed, I hoped good things from this release.
26.03.2007 - 22:28
Rating: 2
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
This is pop no metal!
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
30.03.2007 - 20:06
moshind
Account deleted
I own that album and its great, actually I love all their albums.
Hope they will keep up with the good work.
01.04.2007 - 14:26
|Angela|
Account deleted
I've been a Sirenia fan for ages now and since I'm from the same country as them following up on their work has been comparatively easy. I found this album disappointing compared to their previous superior stuff. I missed the growls and Henriette a lot in this album. Still Monica Pederson is not bad but if there were growls this album may have turned out a bit better. Rating is a little too high for me still but its a well written review as Aronax said.
21.04.2007 - 16:31
Mela Muke
Account deleted
Old Sirenia are no long with us, say hello to dime-a-dozen gothic poppy new Sirenia, look at their new talentless singer, off key throughout the album but at least she enjoys showing off as much flesh as possible - rock and roll
21.04.2007 - 18:10
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
well it seems like i'm with one of the few ones that's with you here Rozz, but i agree with everything you wrote in your review!

i can also agree with the rating although i might have given it even more, 8.6 or 8.8 perhaps, anyway i think this is a great album, it's very beautiful and extremely easy to listen to which makes it enjoyable

of course there could be more growls, there are so extremely few on the album actually, but therefore the few times they do appear they are extremely effective

me wants more of this!
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
12.05.2007 - 05:36
A Kat Person
Account deleted
Jeez metalheads are such a fickle bunch! I'm enjoying this album. Great compositions. On the first listen they sound samey, but after a couple of listens they start to differentiate, thus the album is growing on me. I usually prefer operatic female vocals, but this singer's voice is nice. I don't hear any off-key-ness at all... So, I think more and more of us (those who like this album) are braving the metal-verse and coming out of the woodwork...
23.07.2007 - 17:28
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
I'm interested to read here that there are a fair few positive reactions to this album. Everywhere else, I've read that it's not actually very good. I still haven't gotten around to checking this one out, but I just might afterall.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
24.09.2007 - 23:10
Rusher
Damn, this album is great, I really liked it a lot! The singer's voice, wow, just made me fell in love with her before actually knowing how she looks like. Thank you Sirenia!

28.09.2007 - 19:35
annodomini
you all are insane...how can be album great when there is 4 songs that sounds like the same one...one melody in whole album...
----
the riddle wants to be...
25.08.2008 - 00:50
Rating: 5
lol annodomini's right!!! the melody is repeating in almost all songs:P its just seven keys and nine doors that is good:P
----
What is the meaning of this conspiracy,
The conspiracy that God has offered me,
Clinging me to the hands of insanity,
Concealing me in a lifetime fond of misery.
24.11.2010 - 16:05
Rating: 6
Bovinus
I'm no metalhead (well, at least I think so), but I'm pretty positive about the fact that this is pure commercial pop shit. Gave it a generous 6 for good production and decent performance, but deserves 4.5 at best.
22.01.2011 - 23:24
Luneth
Account deleted
Fantastically brilliant album and great review. My Minds Eye, The Other Side and Downfall are masterpieces.
14.03.2011 - 03:43
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by annodomini on 28.09.2007 at 19:35

you all are insane...how can be album great when there is 4 songs that sounds like the same one...one melody in whole album...

That's an exaggeration, but the songs are stuck to a formula and not an interesting formula either. This album is pretty much the definition of repetition. One of the most boring bands I've ever heard, I'd say.
14.03.2011 - 21:44
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 14.03.2011 at 03:43

One of the most boring bands I've ever heard, I'd say.

The band are not bad. Their first two albums are very good. This particular one, however, is a boring one indeed... at least at the moment they have a hot singer...
15.03.2011 - 07:58
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 14.03.2011 at 21:44

Written by Guest on 14.03.2011 at 03:43

One of the most boring bands I've ever heard, I'd say.

The band are not bad. Their first two albums are very good. This particular one, however, is a boring one indeed... at least at the moment they have a hot singer...

At Sixes And Sevens was somewhat enjoyable, it didn't blow my mind, but I liked it. As for Aylin, I think I'll pass. I'm into blondes anyway.
15.03.2011 - 20:44
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 15.03.2011 at 07:58

At Sixes And Sevens was somewhat enjoyable, it didn't blow my mind, but I liked it. As for Aylin, I think I'll pass. I'm into blondes anyway.

She was blonde before joining Sirenia... funny thing that many women who start singing in metal bands at some point during their career always dye their hair dark and adopt a more "gothic" look...
Hair colour doesn't change a lot anyway... face and body are important...
15.03.2011 - 21:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ernis on 15.03.2011 at 20:44

She was blonde before joining Sirenia... funny thing that many women who start singing in metal bands at some point during their career always dye their hair dark and adopt a more "gothic" look...

Unless you're Gossow. She's just taking that "badass / Terminator" image to the bank!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 11858 | This month: 20