Metal Storm logo
We Need To Go Deeper?

My intention in creating this list was to draw clicks from mainstream acts to provide a gateway to lesser-known alternatives from a similar sound. Some of these will be no-brainers to those who already listen to a lot of stuff. This is more targeted towards the less-initiated. Get to clickin' and try something new. If you have suggestions, put them in the comments and I will add them to the list. Provide links to bandcamp/youtube where applicable. I'll try to keep them in the first comments box.

Created by: flightoficarus | 04.02.2015

1. Dimmu Borgir
Srogość: symphonic black metal, but far more understated and from Poland.
2. Whitechapel
Scorched by the Flaming Goat: deathcore...with symphonics! From Chile!
3. Suicide Silence
Immoralist/Traitors: brutally slow deathcore ripe for moshing. Big, dumb riffs. Lots of fun.
4. Burzum
Cold Crypt: ambient black metal with that same twisted, hellishness.
5. Incantation
Malthusian: dark cries from the abyss in a grim, blackened style.
6. Mors Principium Est
Aspherium: head-banging melodeath with a sense of fun and stellar riffing.
7. At The Gates
Bloodshot Dawn: more riff-monster melodeath, a little more on the serious side.
8. Trap Them
Botch/Cowards: mathcore and hardcore with a sense of chaos and similar sounding riffs and vocals.
9. Fear Factory
Tyrant of Death: shmear factory. This will rip your face off.
10. Triptykon
Emptiness: same dark, haunting vibe and tepid bile.
11. Marilyn Manson
Lord Mantis: enough shock value (artwork/lyrics) and grimy guitars to make Manson look like an altar boy.
12. Periphery
Sikth: plenty of low end, changing time signatures, groovy riff. Add a second singer and make it from the UK.
13. The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Number 12 Looks Like You: same chaotic riffs and jazz influences, add a singer, raise vocals an octave. Want something taking this sound to a more progressive level? Try Torrential Downpour.
14. After The Burial
Within the Ruins: same compressed-tone, technical riff factory + lyrics about comic books.
15. Venom
Watch Them Die: ignore the tags. This is not metalcore. It's 80's style thrash with the same ugly kick.
16. Mastodon
Bast/Trudger: early-era progressive vibe, ability to meld seemingly unrelated sounds and ideas into a larger composition. Trudger has a bit of post-metal added.
17. Black Sabbath
Valfader, Poisoned By Life: old-school doom with some modern touches. Nice guitar work.
18. Ensiferum
Tengger Cavalry: trade the Viking horde for the Mongolian one. Throat singing. Don't be a baby.
19. Morbid Angel
Altars/Mithras: death metal with a similar sludgy vibe at times. Plenty of blackened influence as well. Mithras is decidedly more experimental and even progressive.
20. Tool
Raum Kingdom/Soen: RK is decidedly doomier and a bit heavier, but with a similar vocal approach and attention to slow, groovey progression. Soen is more straight forward.
21. Skinny Puppy
Neurotech: the latest album is much more straight-forward and lighter, but it shares Cevin's masterful ability to build dense, beautiful atmospheres.
22. KMFDM
Mindless Faith: same 90's vibe and aggressive sound. I actually prefer MF.
23. Agalloch
Russian Circles/An Aesthetic Anaesthetic/Sleeping in Gethsemane: a little more on the rock side, but conveying the same level of instrumental heaviness. 2 Former from Chicago. Latter from Fargo.
24. Helmet
Quicksand: very similar groove-driven sound, out of the 90's; just a little more melodic. Bonus: bassist now plays for Deftones.
25. Amon Amarth
Unleashed: same viking themes, but in a more old school death metal style.
26. Taake
Volahn: more than a passing resemblance in the guitar work here. Very emotion-laden black metal, but from the US and with Mayan themes.
27. Behemoth
Neolith: It's pretty much early Behemoth with more thrash metal influences and some unusual synth additions. Plenty of fun.
28. Emperor
Cult of Fire/Death Karma: Both are symphonic black/death metal from the same frontman. Emphasis on organs and celebration of other cultural practices and sounds. Amazing stuff.
29. Enslaved
Downfall of Nur. Sonically, they are nothing alike. BUT, they have a similar take on progression and more subtle folk influences. Regardless, this is some excellent music.
30. Gorgoroth
Black Flame. Similar drums and guitar riffs. Vocals are also similar, but different enough for this to stand out. Solid album on BC.
31. Immortal
Frosthelm. "Thrashened black," heavier on the bay-area influence. Excellent stuff.
32. Alaskan
Wovoka. Dark, intense waves of sludge. I actually argue that Wovoka is more consistently heavy and engaging with their riffs and vocals.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 48   Visited by: 152 users
04.02.2015 - 23:42
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
04.02.2015 - 23:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Mazza to Lord Mantis? That's jumping from A to C if you ask me. Also who are Watch Them Die? From what I gather they're a metalcore band, which doesn't have an awful lot to do with Venom.
04.02.2015 - 23:49
Zap
I also think Triptykon to Emptiness is a bit of a leap, but I've seen people make the comparison so I guess that's just me.
04.02.2015 - 23:49
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 04.02.2015 at 23:46

Mazza to Lord Mantis? That's jumping from A to C if you ask me. Also who are Watch Them Die? From what I gather they're a metalcore band, which doesn't have an awful lot to do with Venom.

Unfortunately they came out during the onslaught of metalcore hitting full force as the big thing. They are decidedly NOT metalcore, though there may be some leanings here and there. It's very much 80's style thrash with dual vocalists, one of which has a raspy, sickening style that I just love. They play well off of one another. I recommend giving a listen to their first album.
----
04.02.2015 - 23:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 04.02.2015 at 23:49

Unfortunately they came out during the onslaught of metalcore hitting full force as the big thing. They are decidedly NOT metalcore, though there may be some leanings here and there. It's very much 80's style thrash with dual vocalists, one of which has a raspy, sickening style that I just love. They play well off of one another. I recommend giving a listen to their first album.

Eh, that doesn't sound like something that would interest me. I'll take your word for it
04.02.2015 - 23:50
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 04.02.2015 at 23:49

I also think Triptykon to Emptiness is a bit of a leap, but I've seen people make the comparison so I guess that's just me.

Some of these will be a bit of a reach, or even a giant leap, but my goal is to just get some of this stuff heard by more people.
----
04.02.2015 - 23:51
Erik M.
Written by Zap on 04.02.2015 at 23:49

I don't know Triptykon very well, but so far I agree with you. Not that similar at all.
04.02.2015 - 23:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I dunno, I can see how Triptykon to Emptiness could work. Triptykon to something like Valborg would be better though.
05.02.2015 - 00:14
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Alphabetamized for your linking pleasure :-)
----
05.02.2015 - 00:16
Zap
Written by flightoficarus on 04.02.2015 at 23:50

Some of these will be a bit of a reach, or even a giant leap, but my goal is to just get some of this stuff heard by more people.

Okay, that's quite noble. This might be your best list yet.
05.02.2015 - 00:17
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 05.02.2015 at 00:16

Written by flightoficarus on 04.02.2015 at 23:50

Okay, that's quite noble. This might be your best list yet.

Awe. I'm getting all blushy. You might just get lucky if you play your cards right.
----
05.02.2015 - 00:21
Zap
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 00:17

Awe. I'm getting all blushy. You might just get lucky if you play your cards right.

Just because it's your best doesn't mean it's any good though

How is that? Full House? Straight Flush?
05.02.2015 - 00:26
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 05.02.2015 at 00:21

Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 00:17

Just because it's your best doesn't mean it's any good though

How is that? Full House? Straight Flush?

Pair of two's. You sleep on the couch.
----
05.02.2015 - 00:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Cultes des Ghoules to Malthusian is a bit weird. That's jumping from two totally different styles (though a huge leap in quality to be sure).
05.02.2015 - 00:38
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 05.02.2015 at 00:30

Cultes des Ghoules to Malthusian is a bit weird. That's jumping from two totally different styles (though a huge leap in quality to be sure).

I had trouble thinking of one for that, honestly. I need a bigger name in general. The point is using a mainstream to lead to more underground. This is like slightly less underground leading to underground. Suggestions are welcome.
----
05.02.2015 - 00:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 00:38

I had trouble thinking of one for that, honestly. I need a bigger name in general. The point is using a mainstream to lead to more underground. This is like slightly less underground leading to underground. Suggestions are welcome.

Incantation would probably be the obvious choice I'd say.
05.02.2015 - 00:45
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 05.02.2015 at 00:39

Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 00:38

Incantation would probably be the obvious choice I'd say.

Sold.
----
05.02.2015 - 01:46
Ilham
Giant robot
That's 15 euros for Botch again. I am curious to see how this will develop. Maybe you could add a few words on the "why" for each? Or do you like to be swarmed by comments? No you like that don't you, whore.
05.02.2015 - 01:49
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Ilham on 05.02.2015 at 01:46

That's 15 euros for Botch again. I am curious to see how this will develop. Maybe you could add a few words on the "why" for each? Or do you like to be swarmed by comments? No you like that don't you, whore.

You signed off on this one, so my hands are clean. I was thinking about it, but I was rushed with everything else I was doing to it. Maybe tomorrow.
----
05.02.2015 - 01:55
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 01:49

You signed off on this one, so my hands are clean. I was thinking about it, but I was rushed with everything else I was doing to it. Maybe tomorrow.

Haha it's just a suggestion really, I know what it is when you start a list, you just want to rush to the "submit" button as fast as possible. I'll come drop suggestions once in a while.

Maybe this is one you could like, to get you started: Morbid Angel > Altars - Paramnesia - Bandcamp link.
05.02.2015 - 02:08
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Ilham on 05.02.2015 at 01:55

Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 01:49

Haha it's just a suggestion really, I know what it is when you start a list, you just want to rush to the "submit" button as fast as possible. I'll come drop suggestions once in a while.

Maybe this is one you could like, to get you started: Morbid Angel > Altars - Paramnesia - Bandcamp link.

Done and done.
----
05.02.2015 - 02:09
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 02:08

Done and done.

I'm a bit embarrassed because I didn't want you to add it if you hadn't listened to it/liked it .
05.02.2015 - 02:52
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by deadone on 05.02.2015 at 02:38

Interesting concept.

Though I don't think ATG translates well to Bloodshot Dawn. Both melodic DM but vastly different in terms of sound and vibe.

BSD are more comparable to older Soilwork, Arsis, Arch Enemy, Scar Symmetry's heavier moments etc etc. Great stuff though. Demons blew me away.

Yeah, it was very good, though I liked Aspherium a touch better. Hard to beat Swedes at their own game. I picked ATG simply because they are arguably the the biggest in the genre, fresh off a new release, and would be an easy draw for clicks.
----
05.02.2015 - 02:53
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Ilham on 05.02.2015 at 02:09

Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 02:08

Done and done.

I'm a bit embarrassed because I didn't want you to add it if you hadn't listened to it/liked it .

Don't worry, I will. Hopefully I didn't just get trolled. I trust your opinion enough based on all the stuff you listen to. Take it as a compliment.
----
05.02.2015 - 02:57
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 02:53

Don't worry, I will. Hopefully I didn't just get trolled. I trust your opinion enough based on all the stuff you listen to. Take it as a compliment.

*Runs around in circles* thank you . It was more or less a safe bet, but I'll be waiting for your feedback.
05.02.2015 - 03:07
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by deadone on 05.02.2015 at 03:03

Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 02:52

Yeah, it was very good, though I liked Aspherium a touch better. Hard to beat Swedes at their own game. I picked ATG simply because they are arguably the the biggest in the genre, fresh off a new release, and would be an easy draw for clicks.

Fair enough.

New BSD was far better than new ATG IMO.

THANK you. I'm glad I'm not the only one. If you look at my other list I talked about how I unpopularly found that album pretty weak. BSD was WAY better. If you like BSD, you NEED to click the link for Aspherium. I liked it so much I paid the $17 + international shipping for the digipack.
----
05.02.2015 - 03:08
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
BTW,+1 the list if you found something new coming here. Not for my sake, but the higher the list rides, the more people will see it. Thus, more clicks and exposure for these deserving bands.
----
05.02.2015 - 03:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 03:08

the higher the list rides, the more people will see it.

This is only true if it gets too many likes to be on the front page of the list of lists.
After that if one wishes to search for less rated lists he'll most likely start from the last page, where there are only lists with 0 "+1s", hence the less the better.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.02.2015 - 04:13
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Karlabos on 05.02.2015 at 03:55

This is only true if it gets too many likes to be on the front page of the list of lists.
After that if one wishes to search for less rated lists he'll most likely start from the last page, where there are only lists with 0 "+1s", hence the less the better.

Interesting. I assumed it would work the other way. Like when you hit "Top Lists" which is where I tend to go.
----
05.02.2015 - 04:23
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by flightoficarus on 05.02.2015 at 04:13

Written by Karlabos on 05.02.2015 at 03:55

Interesting. I assumed it would work the other way. Like when you hit "Top Lists" which is where I tend to go.

Yeah, but when you go to top lists and want to click on the page numbers, it only appears the first 4 pages and the last four ones to click.
In order to have a list belonging to the first four ones it has to be more than 28 +s, while in order to be on the last four it has to have 0 of them.

The only other ways to browse other page would be clicking on one of those, say the 4th and then the pages until 7 would be available to click, that means that who has visited the 7th necessarily passed by other page before. Of course, alternatively one can type the actual page number on the url, but no one is gonna do that.

But hey what a nerdy analysis.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei

Hits total: 2040 | This month: 14