Metal Storm logo
Amazing Specimen Of World's Largest Squid In NZ

23.02.2007 - 10:38
Eight
Shapeshifter

"Colossal squid information

Colossal squid are only known from a few specimens, estimates put its maximum size at 12 to 14 metres. It is the largest known squid species and the world's largest invertebrate. It is believed to have the largest eyes in the animal kingdom.

The animal was first described in 1925 from two tentacles found in the stomach of a sperm whale. The squid's known range is from Antarctica to the southern extremities of South America, South Africa and New Zealand.

Analysis of sperm whale stomachs suggests the colossal squid makes up three quarters of the diet of large sperm whales and it is likely there are large numbers of them in Antarctic waters.

Only a handful of colossal squid have been sighted. One was caught in the net of a Russian trawler in the Ross Sea at depth of 760m in 1981, another found near the surface in 2003 and another near South Georgia Island was brought up from a depth of 1625 metres on a toothfish longline in 2005.

It is believed that colossal squid hunt large fish, such as toothfish, and other squid." http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/default.htm

Heres the full article
http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Press/Amazing+specimen+of+worlds+largest+squid+in+NZ.htm

Personally i think this was worth creating a topic.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
23.02.2007 - 10:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I know I just had to subtitle the fisherman who caught it and and expert on squids for Dutch news broadcasts.

Fisherman: It looked like a normal arrow squid that you get but it looked about a hundred times bigger.

Epxert: Without a doubt this is the largest squid that mankind has ever known. The largest in the universe I'd be happy to say. And if this is a male it's the first known male of this particular species that exists. As far as we know at this point in time, no other male has ever been described.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 10:51
Eight
Shapeshifter
It does look way past normal, seems that we don't know everything about our planet.
----

23.02.2007 - 17:47
APOHAKC
The Bard
This shit can feed half of the world... what is nexr? Lohness monster??
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
23.02.2007 - 20:45
Lupas
Maximus
MMmmm, this would be better with a white wine What do you think k7 ?
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
23.02.2007 - 21:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
Imagine meeting one while you're out for a nice swim
----
23.02.2007 - 22:49
iaberis
Advice Troll
I heard in the news that they gave it to some oceanologists to study it... It won't feed anyone
----
Bitch! Please
23.02.2007 - 22:54
Eight
Shapeshifter
Indeed, this specimen is for science only, you don't catch this kind of gojiras everyday you know.
----

24.02.2007 - 00:07
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Just when I thought that creatures like these couldn't get any bigger, I was so wrong. This is the largest cephalopod that I have seen in a long time.
24.02.2007 - 00:39
darksun
I can't imagine how i would feel if i had been there.Something strange and frightening.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
24.02.2007 - 01:46
Daru Jericho
I'd love to see what that looks like in real life, just to appreciate the scale even more.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

24.02.2007 - 02:40
Stigmatized
I saw the article this morning. Cool stuff. Seems we're always finding something bigger and better than what we had found before.
24.02.2007 - 07:01
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
No doubt in my mind that they are more of the same size creatures out there in the oceans that we have yet discovered.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
24.02.2007 - 08:03
Kaamos
Account deleted
Just wait 'til great Cthulhu emerges from the depths! You just wait!
24.02.2007 - 08:38
Winter Death
Account deleted
These things have always fascinated me as a kid. Scary as hell, but damn amazing.
24.02.2007 - 14:36
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by iaberis on 23.02.2007 at 22:49

I heard in the news that they gave it to some oceanologists to study it... It won't feed anyone

For shame!

Quote:
Octopus "a la feira" (pulpo á feira): recipe from Matilde Felpeto

Ingredients: 1 octopus, 1 medium onion, extra virgin olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper and coarse sea salt.

Wash and tenderise the fresh octopus, although this can be avoided if it has been frozen for forty-eight hours. Once defrosted this is how we shall continue:

We boil the onion in a large pan. When it is boiling hard, we put in the octopus then take it out, repeating this three times then leave it in.

We let it cook for thirty-five to forty minutes. We check it is cooked take it out of the water and leave it for a few minutes.

We cut it with scissors and place it on wooden plates or on a platter. Then we add the coarse salt, sprinkle with oil and the spices (make a mix of three parts paprika to one part cayenne pepper)

We can then use the water we cooked the octopus in to cook some potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces and served as an accompaniment.

(from http://www.escuelaparalaia.com/). I hope global warming won't affect all of these undiscovered species dramatically.
24.02.2007 - 15:38
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Taktsekte on 24.02.2007 at 14:36

Written by iaberis on 23.02.2007 at 22:49

For shame!

Quote:
Octopus "a la feira" (pulpo á feira): recipe from Matilde Felpeto

Ingredients: 1 octopus, 1 medium onion, extra virgin olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper and coarse sea salt.

Wash and tenderise the fresh octopus, although this can be avoided if it has been frozen for forty-eight hours. Once defrosted this is how we shall continue:

We boil the onion in a large pan. When it is boiling hard, we put in the octopus then take it out, repeating this three times then leave it in.

We let it cook for thirty-five to forty minutes. We check it is cooked take it out of the water and leave it for a few minutes.

We cut it with scissors and place it on wooden plates or on a platter. Then we add the coarse salt, sprinkle with oil and the spices (make a mix of three parts paprika to one part cayenne pepper)

We can then use the water we cooked the octopus in to cook some potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces and served as an accompaniment.

(from http://www.escuelaparalaia.com/). I hope global warming won't affect all of these undiscovered species dramatically.

Good i will try that I will buy some octopus and squid , imagine how i will eat that monster . Less than a minute and 2bt of white wine. I will not suffer hungry for almost 2wks
And some use to say that this species must be studied These things where once populated in ancient times but now our seas are dead with posions we put into it.
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
24.02.2007 - 16:52
..HumanError..
Account deleted
A single one like that will be enough to feed all the starving people in Subsaharian Africa.
24.02.2007 - 19:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
fuck man, i used to think "yeah, yeah.. we all get the point" when i hear this type of news, stuff like "a 60 foot squid was caught last week" but when i saw this guy, i was almost in shock..i mean, it's fucking ENORMOUS.
24.02.2007 - 20:00
darksun
Written by Valentin B on 24.02.2007 at 19:05

fuck man, i used to think "yeah, yeah.. we all get the point" when i hear this type of news, stuff like "a 60 foot squid was caught last week" but when i saw this guy, i was almost in shock..i mean, it's fucking ENORMOUS.

absolutely right.Oh lala.I am used to hear things about the shark tahat lost its way found dead or hunt in bla bla sea.But this is an alien
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
25.02.2007 - 18:44
Bulldozer
Account deleted
Take a look on the lower right picture. A squid size of a schoolbus! That's amazing!

25.02.2007 - 22:07
Remus
Written by Author on 24.02.2007 at 16:52

A single one like that will be enough to feed all the starving people in Subsaharian Africa.

Nah, we're pretty hungry around here , but thanks for the thought!

This thing makes one wonder: How do giant squids shag? Like doggy style or what?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
26.02.2007 - 00:58
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 25.02.2007 at 22:07

Nah, we're pretty hungry around here , but thanks for the thought!

This thing makes one wonder: How do giant squids shag? Like doggy style or what?

Haha, sorry for the poor joke .

But hmmm... i dont really think there is a contact between male and female squids... I think the female puts the eggs somewhere and then the male comes and pours his fertile sperm over them...

*Thinks about what she said, again, puzzled*

But that sounds more likely to be true than the doggy style mating .
28.02.2007 - 20:32
Remus
Written by Author on 26.02.2007 at 00:58

Haha, sorry for the poor joke .

But hmmm... i dont really think there is a contact between male and female squids... I think the female puts the eggs somewhere and then the male comes and pours his fertile sperm over them...

*Thinks about what she said, again, puzzled*

But that sounds more likely to be true than the doggy style mating .

Don't worry, that was now where near a poor joke!

Anyway your theory on the squid mating does seem more apropriate than mine. But if this is tru then it raises some qouestions:

The female lays the eggs right; then the male unloads his "fertile sperm" as you put it, over the eggs - How does he do it? I mean in order for human males to perform such a task some form of arousement is needed i.e. naked women. How does the male squid get exited, is it the sight of the eggs that drive the male squids crazy? Jeez, those guys are really sick if they get off from looking at eggs.

Hmm, this is rather irrelevant but is there a marine biologist on MS that can explain this whole reproducing thing?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
28.02.2007 - 20:45
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 28.02.2007 at 20:32

Don't worry, that was now where near a poor joke!

Anyway your theory on the squid mating does seem more apropriate than mine. But if this is tru then it raises some qouestions:

The female lays the eggs right; then the male unloads his "fertile sperm" as you put it, over the eggs - How does he do it? I mean in order for human males to perform such a task some form of arousement is needed i.e. naked women. How does the male squid get exited, is it the sight of the eggs that drive the male squids crazy? Jeez, those guys are really sick if they get off from looking at eggs.

Hmm, this is rather irrelevant but is there a marine biologist on MS that can explain this whole reproducing thing?

Hehe, the answer to your question is simple. They just have a hormone cycle, they have, like the other animals, reproduction periods. And when its time, and when she's ready, the female puts her eggs somewhere ; the male knows it, he just comes and "pours his fertile sperm" (ah, quoting myself is so great) to fertilise the eggs. Ive seen that with other fish species. They dont need a special excitation... its just planned. Animal instinct.
28.02.2007 - 21:18
Remus
Written by Author on 28.02.2007 at 20:45

Ive seen that with other fish species.

You've "seen" it with other fish species ? Jeez, what kind of adult movies do YOU rent from the video store?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
28.02.2007 - 21:31
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Author on 24.02.2007 at 08:03

Just wait 'til great Cthulhu emerges from the depths! You just wait!

haha, i second that!

but i really do wonder what else might be down there in the sees, i bet there is so much we havent seen yet
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
28.02.2007 - 21:34
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 28.02.2007 at 21:18

You've "seen" it with other fish species ? Jeez, what kind of adult movies do YOU rent from the video store?

Haha, i was just talking about what ive seen on TV and what we've studied in class ... nothing else .
28.02.2007 - 21:57
Remus
^^ Yeah, i believe you
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
02.03.2007 - 09:55
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Remus, what are you talking about? You brought up the whole squid sex thing! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays