Metal Storm logo
2012 Black Metal Documentary (Leviathan, Striborg, Xasthur)

03.07.2015 - 19:04
Lit.
Account deleted
Who in the right mind would wanna make a documentary on the life of a piece of shit band like Striborg?
03.07.2015 - 20:17
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I only cared about Xasthur and Leviathan, those two were really interesting and honest. Can't say that I liked Striborg's documentary though, he sounded like clown.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.07.2015 - 20:28
Sang Dalang Abu
Xasthur and Leviathan? US Monster!! What the fuck is Striborg?
03.07.2015 - 20:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.07.2015 - 12:12
no one
Account deleted
^that's not really a thread about it though.

People still haven't even seen this? this was a great doco, so good to see a black metal doco not about norway church burnings, satanism, varg, or any of that same old shite. They need to do something new along the same lines as this doco.
05.07.2015 - 06:37
no one
Account deleted
Written by [user id=142921] on 05.07.2015 at 04:55

First time I saw it...but then again it's the first time i've really searched for black metal interviews If only he interviewed The Ruins of Beverast instead of Striborg.

I didn't mind the striborg bit. His musics not great, but he really does live the theme of music.
05.07.2015 - 10:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=101272] on 03.07.2015 at 19:04

Who in the right mind would wanna make a documentary on the life of a piece of shit band like Striborg?

This was also my first thought.
----
06.07.2015 - 20:40
@gent_-_orange
I remember watching this a while back and enjoying it, although it sounds like the man behind Xasthur has some real issues from what I remember, good interviews, but its a bit bizarre to see striborg on it, given the gap in quality between him and leviathan/xasthur.
06.07.2015 - 22:55
no one
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 06.07.2015 at 20:40

I remember watching this a while back and enjoying it, although it sounds like the man behind Xasthur has some real issues from what I remember, good interviews, but its a bit bizarre to see striborg on it, given the gap in quality between him and leviathan/xasthur.

Even though striborg is hated on this site he does still have fans, he also fits into the same category as the other two being one of the more obscure, hard to get in touch with weirdos in the bedroom black metal movement that was sort of becoming quite popular a bit before that time.
06.07.2015 - 23:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 06.07.2015 at 22:55

Even though striborg is hated on this site ...

Not only on this site

Really, I am of the opinion that he only gets exposure due to the fact the guys in Sunn O))) are fan of his 'music'.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.07.2015 - 23:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I don't hate that band, I like some albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.07.2015 - 00:40
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
I really don't like this documentary. If you're going to make a documentary on one man black metal, focus on just how creative some of the one manners can get with their sounds and how out there their music can get. Leviathan imo is a good example of that, but Xasthur and Striborg? Meh, if you ask me. I would've replaced Malefic and Sin Nanna with Mories and Vindsval personally, or hell, even Alex Von Meilenwald.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.07.2015 - 01:02
no one
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.07.2015 at 23:03

Not only on this site

Really, I am of the opinion that he only gets exposure due to the fact the guys in Sunn O))) are fan of his 'music'.

Well he seems to be liked a bit more on MA
07.07.2015 - 03:05
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.07.2015 at 00:40

I really don't like this documentary. If you're going to make a documentary on one man black metal, focus on just how creative some of the one manners can get with their sounds and how out there their music can get. Leviathan imo is a good example of that, but Xasthur and Striborg? Meh, if you ask me. I would've replaced Malefic and Sin Nanna with Mories and Vindsval personally, or hell, even Alex Von Meilenwald.

Then it would just be another cliche music doco. What makes this doco is those guys unstable personalities
07.07.2015 - 03:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 07.07.2015 at 03:05

Then it would just be another cliche music doco. What makes this doco is those guys unstable personalities

What do you mean "then it would just be a cliche music doco"? I think you're really simplifying things, because The Ruins Of Beverast, Gnaw Their Tongues, Blut Aus Nord, some of those other one man BM bands that would've fit better in here than Xasthur and Striborg... are anything BUT cliche. It all depends on how one conducts the making of the documentary, with the right way of going about it one could EASILY display the bold innovation and batshit songwriting that can be found in one man black metal with better examples than... Xasthur and Striborg

Also, I'd be a bit amused if you think that these three individuals are the only songwriters in BM with unstable personalities
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.07.2015 - 05:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 07.07.2015 at 03:48

Xasthur cliche??Get a grip!

Uh, where did I say that it is, exactly?
----

~ II. VII
07.07.2015 - 05:04
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.07.2015 at 05:02

Written by [user id=136611] on 07.07.2015 at 03:48

Xasthur cliche??Get a grip!

Uh, where did I say that it is, exactly?

Dont know, i probably shouldnt be trying to work and post on my phone at the same time
07.07.2015 - 06:12
no one
Account deleted
Those bands you mentioned don't compare with Xasthur for originality, and though i don't know those artists personalitys, i don't think they live on an small island at the ass end of the world (sorry deadone) in the middle of the forest, and Conner seems to genuinely have a bit of a mental disorder of some sort which is usually just for show for a lot of bm bands these days, for me it makes his music more true to his feelings not just how creative, or how good his imagination is..same with wrest.
07.07.2015 - 09:55
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 07.07.2015 at 03:23

MA's always been more Black Metal orientated and it seems anything even remotely associated with Black Metal (e.g. Fenriz's nephew's school play or Varg's wife singing in the shower) will be featured and often praised whilst more mainstream metal will be regarded as non-metal (e.g. they refused Soulfy for years despite the band churning out groovy thrash albums).

i think they praise a lot of the same bands that are on here but branch a bit further out with their black metal, they definitely don't praise any black metal though.
That's weird about the soulfly thing, but on the other hand they wouldn't put a french underground depressive ambient bm band "hopeless" on there, because there wasn't enough metal in it.
07.07.2015 - 14:26
@gent_-_orange
Written by [user id=136611] on 06.07.2015 at 22:55

Even though striborg is hated on this site he does still have fans, he also fits into the same category as the other two being one of the more obscure, hard to get in touch with weirdos in the bedroom black metal movement that was sort of becoming quite popular a bit before that time.

Fair enough, it may have just been a preconception I had that Striborg was less of a "household name" in black metal, as Leviathan and Xasthur are far more well known, and there are lots of other well known one man BM bands (like ruins of beverast for example).
08.07.2015 - 17:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 07.07.2015 at 06:12

Those bands you mentioned don't compare with Xasthur for originality

Someone needs to listen to some Ruins Of Beverast, 777 Blut Aus Nord, and Cloak Of Altering then. Some of the most original sounds black metal has seen in the past decade, and that's really not just an opinion
----

~ II. VII
08.07.2015 - 21:39
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.07.2015 at 17:13

Written by [user id=136611] on 07.07.2015 at 06:12

Those bands you mentioned don't compare with Xasthur for originality

Someone needs to listen to some Ruins Of Beverast, 777 Blut Aus Nord, and Cloak Of Altering then. Some of the most original sounds black metal has seen in the past decade, and that's really not just an opinion

each to there own, i don't think that about those bands, but i haven't heard Cloak of altering, so for you i will listen to an album this weekend
09.07.2015 - 02:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 08.07.2015 at 21:39

I haven't heard Cloak of altering, so for you i will listen to an album this weekend

Cool stuff man, I'd say check out the NONE EP especially. I'll use Joe's quote in his Staff Pick for that one... "Avant-garde black metal crossed with trippy music from video games made for aliens, played in reverse."
----

~ II. VII
09.07.2015 - 19:53
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.07.2015 at 02:21

Cool stuff man, I'd say check out the NONE EP especially. I'll use Joe's quote in his Staff Pick for that one... "Avant-garde black metal crossed with trippy music from video games made for aliens, played in reverse."

hmm sounds like one of yours and JOOEs modern day metal hippy trip fests, but i'll give it ago

btw...Striborg has released a new album this year people, for anyone who cared
09.07.2015 - 20:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by [user id=136611] on 09.07.2015 at 19:53

Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.07.2015 at 02:21

NONE EP

hmm sounds like one of yours and JOOEs modern day metal hippy trip fests,s but i'll give it ago

That album is good. It has Karlabos' seal of approval
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.07.2015 - 20:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite

Never really cared for Striborg. Much more interested in Veil Of Darkness, Sin Nanna's dark ambient side project
----

~ II. VII
09.07.2015 - 20:25
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.07.2015 at 20:21

Never really cared for Striborg. Much more interested in Veil Of Darkness, Sin Nanna's dark ambient side project

Theres a new one of that too i think
09.07.2015 - 23:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 09.07.2015 at 20:25

Theres a new one of that too i think

Yeah, there is, haven't been able to find a download for it yet though, unfortunately
----

~ II. VII
12.07.2015 - 04:31
no one
Account deleted
Sounds like wrest is doing a bit better now days, has a new girlfriend, a baby, and being a little bit more open to the media.

http://www.guitarworld.com/my-war-leviathans-jef-whitehead-discusses-scar-sighted-his-biggest-influences-and-why-he-still-wont-tour
19.07.2015 - 21:07
Lord_Regnier
Written by [user id=101272] on 03.07.2015 at 19:04

Striborg is one of the worst Black Metal band I ever heard, if not THE worst. This 'music' is laughable.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"