Metal Storm logo
Immortal - Not Dead Just Yet, New Songs In Progress

Norway's unstoppable black metal force Immortal has been busy working on the band's new material. Wait, what?

After the legal battle over the band name most fans (and critics alike) thought this was the end of Immortal. Not so fast grasshoppers.

The following statement has been released by the band's label:

Norway's unstoppable black metal force Immortal has been busy working on the band's new material. The band's members Demonaz and Horgh have also gone through a legal process the last year, having to protect their band's name and logo from their previous singer.

In October 2014, ex-singer/guitarist Abbath (Olve Eikemo) filed an trademark application for registration of the brand Immortal to Patentstyret (Norwegian Industrial Property Office) without informing the other band members. The band's core members Horgh and Demonaz were forced to seek legal help to counter this. The trademark application from Eikemo was not approved and was denied registered on July 21th, 2015. Eikemo has left Immortal to start his new band.

"Immortal never stopped, we just had to go through a long legal process before we could go out in the media with the news. Immortal is much more than just a band, and much more then just a form of music. The departure of one member cannot change that, no matter. We will continue what we believe in, and the power of "Blashyrkh" shall live on."

Demonaz, the band's founding member, has created material based on his visions of Blashyrkh for nearly 25 years. Some new songs, which are set to be included on the next album, are 'Northern Chaos Gods', 'Called To Ice', and 'Blacker Of Worlds'.

More information about the new music and line-up will be presented later this year.

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Immortal
Posted: 13.08.2015 by D.T. Metal

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   Visited by: 296 users
13.08.2015 - 20:55
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Quote:
The band's members Demonaz and Horgh have also gone through a legal process the last year, having to protect their band's name and logo from their previous singer.

What a joke. Immortal without Abbath is like Opeth without Akerfeldt or Behemoth without Nergal. Abbath was not just a 'singer'.
13.08.2015 - 20:58
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
I wonder... the creative force of Immortal has been for a long time Abbath. Demonaz was important for the lyrical concept but that's it. Can't see this band without Abbath. But, whatever, we will see.
13.08.2015 - 21:04
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 13.08.2015 at 20:58

Demonaz was important for the lyrical concept but that's it. Can't see this band without Abbath. But, whatever, we will see.

It will probably be something like his solo album. It doesn't have to be bad but it won't be Immortal. Demonaz should continue with his own project.
13.08.2015 - 21:24
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I will take a bath.
----
13.08.2015 - 21:54
ANGEL REAPER
Are this guys for real ?! I guess we'll wait and see what kind of reanimated undead can this new Immortal be
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.08.2015 - 22:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Shouldn't the title be "Not Dead Just Yet?"
13.08.2015 - 23:08
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Hex_Omega on 13.08.2015 at 21:04

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 13.08.2015 at 20:58

Demonaz was important for the lyrical concept but that's it. Can't see this band without Abbath. But, whatever, we will see.

It will probably be something like his solo album. It doesn't have to be bad but it won't be Immortal. Demonaz should continue with his own project.

Immortal has for a long time been associated with Abbath, it makes it almost impossible to visualize the band without him. I just hope Demonaz reconsiders, out of respect for the band's legacy. In addition, I remember Abbath making statements that the other band members were not willing to make music nor to tour. What's with this change of situation? Or did the legal battle over the band's name shook the guys a little?
13.08.2015 - 23:12
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
No Abbath = No Immortal
13.08.2015 - 23:13
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by Guest on 13.08.2015 at 22:09

ooops fixed
13.08.2015 - 23:49
Gothmog_Motsham
So who's gonna do the crab dance now?
14.08.2015 - 03:03
Ruinous
The crab dance is important, and so is the vocal style of Abbath. I have always loved that vocal style and I'd find it hard if they went in a different direction with that. Then again, if they somehow pulled in say, Dagon of "Inquisition" (only guy I can think of that has a similar vocal style) it would probably cop just as much flak.

I'll listen to whatever comes from the Immortal and Abbath camps. I just hope it encases me in permafrost as previous efforts have done
14.08.2015 - 03:29
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Please tell me Demonaz won't be assuming vocal duties.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
14.08.2015 - 06:00
sbgmetal
Yea demonaz should just work on his solo stuff i thought his solo album was magnificent
14.08.2015 - 11:53
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by AyΣm on 13.08.2015 at 23:12

No Abbath = No Immortal

Pretty much. Dagon from Inquisition is the only one who could replace Abbath IMO.
14.08.2015 - 12:05
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
Written by Hex_Omega on 14.08.2015 at 11:53

Written by AyΣm on 13.08.2015 at 23:12

No Abbath = No Immortal

Pretty much. Dagon from Inquisition is the only one who could replace Abbath IMO.

I was thinking about Serj Tankian from System Of A Down?
No ok sorry I will not do it again...
14.08.2015 - 13:22
Sang Dalang Abu
Waiting for new album without Abbath.
14.08.2015 - 14:16
s_t_s
My opinion won't matter much as I'm a newcomer to Immortal and only know "All Shall Fall". Like it but won't call it a master piece either so I guess I can live without Immortal What annoys me tho is seeing bands infected by such silly copyright affairs. I thought this kind of shit mostly happened in the brainless commercial music world...

Anyway, now I'm waiting for the news reading that "Dimmu Borgir isn't quite dead yet, working on new material" (hey wait wasn't it already published several months ago ?? )
14.08.2015 - 21:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by D.T. Metal on 13.08.2015 at 23:13

Written by Guest on 13.08.2015 at 22:09

ooops fixed

no offense but it make me feel a little better LOL
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.08.2015 - 22:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Interesting news well lyrically it can be much better as Abbot , simce main lyricist and maybe bets lyricist in Norge B; scene ever is there. like I said BM is just guitar sound, Helloween will put korpse paint and sing satan steal my lollypop, it wont be BM , it will be PM . This is why I like this band, its all about Norway all about winter, lyrics and atmosphere are awesome , just outstanding band in whole genre, but who will sing? anyway this band has more potemntial ...Abbot and new crew looks lame, he pick up wrong music , we will see how it goes
----

apos;'
[image]
15.08.2015 - 06:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by s_t_s on 14.08.2015 at 14:16

My opinion won't matter much as I'm a newcomer to Immortal and only know "All Shall Fall".

Oh, man, you are so missing out. All Shall Fall is definitely not a good album to go on for them. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album, but any long time fan will agree it's more like a Sons of Northern Darkness 2.0 or B-sides album. You've got to start from the very beginning and experience their full discography. The early days were just that, the early days, but still were quite majestic. The band really started hitting their stride with Battles In The North, and At The Heart Of Winter is where they really created their own style.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and dig deeper into their discography than just All Shall Fall. If you are a fan of black metal, and liked what you heard on that album, then you'll want to delve into their back catalog.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.08.2015 - 09:34
s_t_s
Written by psykometal on 15.08.2015 at 06:41

My opinion won't matter much as I'm a newcomer to Immortal and only know "All Shall Fall".

Oh, man, you are so missing out. All Shall Fall is definitely not a good album to go on for them. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album, but any long time fan will agree it's more like a Sons of Northern Darkness 2.0 or B-sides album. You've got to start from the very beginning and experience their full discography. The early days were just that, the early days, but still were quite majestic. The band really started hitting their stride with Battles In The North, and At The Heart Of Winter is where they really created their own style.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and dig deeper into their discography than just All Shall Fall. If you are a fan of black metal, and liked what you heard on that album, then you'll want to delve into their back catalog.

Thanks for the advice, will sure have a look at their older albums !
15.08.2015 - 09:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
It's like Emperor without Ihsahn. Although I must admit that I'm eager to see who will handle the vocals.
----
15.08.2015 - 10:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Drama of the year.
15.08.2015 - 17:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'll be damned. I guess I'll have to follow Immortal and Abbath now though I'm doubtful for both.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.08.2015 - 05:44
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 15.08.2015 at 17:16

I'll be damned. I guess I'll have to follow Immortal and Abbath now though I'm doubtful for both.

I'm hopeful for Abbath. Not so much with Abbath-less Immortal. I'm with everyone else, Immortal just isn't Immortal without Abbath.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

16.08.2015 - 10:27
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by psykometal on 16.08.2015 at 05:44

I'm hopeful for Abbath. Not so much with Abbath-less Immortal. I'm with everyone else, Immortal just isn't Immortal without Abbath.

I don't know, the whole thing is weird. Again, it's very sad to see this happen to one of my favourite bands but I'm still curious about the possible albums they make. Abbath, however, was a big reason why I love Immortal.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.08.2015 - 15:30
Vombatus
Potorro
Obviously not happy how this is turning out but I am curious to see how the music evolves. Immortal going back to Blizzard Beast era would be nice, and Abbath maybe making his band similar to the "I" project would also be refreshing.

I wonder where is Apollyon in all this?
16.08.2015 - 17:22
SublimeDragon
No biggie, anyone can 'sing' like abbath
17.08.2015 - 00:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

you mean Damned in black
----

apos;'
[image]
17.08.2015 - 00:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 15.08.2015 at 06:41

maybe best post about this band I agree, unique outstanding BM band.
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 3825 | This month: 13